Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
The boiler should burn 36 buckets of biofuel per hour. If I've done the math right a piece of fertilizer makes 48 buckets of biofuel, using water in the fermenter and distilling it in stills. Fertilizer lasts 200 cycles, each sapling cycled makes .8 buckets of BM, which makes .24 buckets of BF. (1 bucket of BM makes .3 buckets of BF in the still) 200*.8=160*.3=48 OR 200*.24=48
So, a piece of fertilizer should last you about an hour and 20 minutes or so, using ONE fermenter. One fermenter should be enough to keep 3 or 4 (maybe more) stills running.
35.64 buckets of biofuel per hour (15.84*20*60*60/32000) are burned.
One fertilizer produces 200 (cycles) * 0.056 (biomass per cycle) = 11.2 buckets of biomass (=3.36 buckets of biofuel), one mulch/compost produces 250*0.048=12 buckets of biomass (=3.6 buckets of biofuel).
35.64/3.36 ~ 10.6 fertilizer per hour.
35.64/3.6 = 9.9 mulch/compost per hour.
Using water, one fermenter using fertilizer can feed ~5.1 stills, one fermenter using mulch/compost can feed ~4.4 stills.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
One fertilizer produces 200 (cycles) * 0.056 (biomass per cycle) = 11.2 buckets of biomass (=3.36 buckets of biofuel), one mulch/compost produces 250*0.048=12 buckets of biomass (=3.6 buckets of biofuel).
35.64/3.6 = 9.9 mulch/compost per hour.
Using water, one fermenter using fertilizer can feed ~5.1 stills, one fermenter using mulch/compost can feed ~4.4 stills.
Now that's math.
A wizard did it.
Treebeard said:
A wizard should know better!
(I've always wanted to quote a tree.)

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Wow. That's a very different answer. By that reckoning my 32 stacks will only last 4 days last for 40 days, as against almost 4 months. Sitting watching the fermenter, it does seem to use a piece of fertilizer every few minutes. Hm. Either I need to fill an interdimensional barrel with the stuff, but even that will only last 25 days last for 250 days. How do other people solve this problem? Compost? Mulch from apples?

Updated: got my maths out by a factor of 10.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Wow. That's a very different answer. By that reckoning my 32 stacks will only last 4 days last for 40 days, as against almost 4 months. Sitting watching the fermenter, it does seem to use a piece of fertilizer every few minutes. Hm. Either I need to fill an interdimensional barrel with the stuff, but even that will only last 25 days last for 250 days. How do other people solve this problem? Compost? Mulch from apples?

It will still use fertilizer at a fast rate unless you throttle back production. To put it simply, once your biofuel tanks are full, production will slow to just what the boiler needs, and fertilizer use will drop accordingly.

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
Can unstable aura nodes disapear? on the server i play there was a unstable aura node nearby which i had glass all around to keep the wisps in. But when i noticed my portable hole wasn;t recharging even though i was near it, i checked it out wiht my goggles of revealing and the node was gone. Instead a new normal node appeared on the other side of my base. im pretty sure noone moved the nodes around because all the nearby nodes got no flux at all, and noone lives near me to begin with.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Can unstable aura nodes disapear? on the server i play there was a unstable aura node nearby which i had glass all around to keep the wisps in. But when i noticed my portable hole wasn;t recharging even though i was near it, i checked it out wiht my goggles of revealing and the node was gone. Instead a new normal node appeared on the other side of my base. im pretty sure noone moved the nodes around because all the nearby nodes got no flux at all, and noone lives near me to begin with.
They can be reset/regenerated by whoever has access to the server config.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
How do other people solve this problem? Compost? Mulch from apples?

I started my Biofuel set-up with a multiblock Arboretum to produce apples and saplings. I found I needed a Peat Bog to turn the sand back into dirt. I was then able to use the peat to make ash, and the ash to both make compost and double apatite to fertilizer conversion rate. With Thaumic Bees allowing me to transmute Apatite into Concentrated Compound, I'm creating a stack of Fertilizer for every 3 Apatite. I mined one vein of Apatite and came away with 12 stacks. I'm fairly confident that the 288 STACKS of Fertilizer I can create from this apatite will run any multiblock farms I want for longer than the world will exist. For my fermenters, I use Mulch or Compost.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
How are bees' areas-of-effect (e.g. 9x9x3) measured from an Apiary vs. a multiblock Alveary, and what is limited by this area-of-effect?

I'm trying to breed bees in as efficient and compact a space as possible, so I'm especially interested in the specifics of their area-of-effect stat.

Re: Apiaries: I've built a few Apiaries in the middle of (largely) flower-free grasslands for the purpose of cross-breeding trees, and I noticed that flowers were popping up several meters outside of the bees' advertised area of effect. Wiki says it's 9x9x3 centered on the Apiary, but could it instead be "up to 9 blocks away from the Apiary"? (Unlikely; seems too large from what I've seen.) Or, do bees pollinate beyond this area, with the advertised AOE referring only to (A) the range of their "Effect" and/or (B) the area in which appropriate flowers must be found?

(Side question: Does the number of flowers in the area matter, or will a single flower make the bees as happy as if the entire area were filled with them? I've got a bunch of Fast Pollinators and I'd love to harvest these flowers for dye---I left them running overnight and now my meadow looks like something out of the Wizard of Oz, it's awesome.)

Re: Alvearies: Just built my first Alveary (Jebus-on-a-pogo-stick, those things are expensive!), and given that it's a 3x3x3.5 multiblock structure, I'm a little confused as to where the 9x9x3 area is measured from. Is it centered on the Alveary Block in the very center of the Alveary; or is the area effectively expanded, with each block in the Alveary counting as the center of its own little 9x9x3 area; or is it something else entirely?

(I really feel like this stuff has probably been answered elsewhere on the Intertubes, but after a lot of digging I've yet to find it. Apologies in advance if I've missed an obvious resource!)

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
How are bees' areas-of-effect (e.g. 9x9x3) measured from an Apiary vs. a multiblock Alveary, and what is limited by this area-of-effect?

I'm trying to breed bees in as efficient and compact a space as possible, so I'm especially interested in the specifics of their area-of-effect stat.

Re: Apiaries: I've built a few Apiaries in the middle of (largely) flower-free grasslands for the purpose of cross-breeding trees, and I noticed that flowers were popping up several meters outside of the bees' advertised area of effect. Wiki says it's 9x9x3 centered on the Apiary, but could it instead be "up to 9 blocks away from the Apiary"? (Unlikely; seems too large from what I've seen.) Or, do bees pollinate beyond this area, with the advertised AOE referring only to (A) the range of their "Effect" and/or (B) the area in which appropriate flowers must be found?

(Side question: Does the number of flowers in the area matter, or will a single flower make the bees as happy as if the entire area were filled with them? I've got a bunch of Fast Pollinators and I'd love to harvest these flowers for dye---I left them running overnight and now my meadow looks like something out of the Wizard of Oz, it's awesome.)

Re: Alvearies: Just built my first Alveary (Jebus-on-a-pogo-stick, those things are expensive!), and given that it's a 3x3x3.5 multiblock structure, I'm a little confused as to where the 9x9x3 area is measured from. Is it centered on the Alveary Block in the very center of the Alveary; or is the area effectively expanded, with each block in the Alveary counting as the center of its own little 9x9x3 area; or is it something else entirely?

(I really feel like this stuff has probably been answered elsewhere on the Intertubes, but after a lot of digging I've yet to find it. Apologies in advance if I've missed an obvious resource!)
Good questions, I'd like to know all that stuff too. In my experience, a single flower will satisfy the bees flower requirements. They'll tell you if there's something wrong by a red tab in the apiary/alveary GUI. Click on that tab and it'll expand and tell you the problem, "Missing queen", Hostile environment", "Missing flowers", etc.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
The Apiary is in the center of the effect, so in the case of 9x3x9 it extends into X and Z dimension by 4 and up/down by 1 each. I'm not sure which block of an Alveary counts as the center. You can test this by putting the flower a certain amount of spaces away and waiting 27.5 seconds. If the bee complains about no flowers, plant it one space closer. If it ages, the flower is close enough. Test this from all 4 sides and optimally also from above/below, then please tell us your results. :)

Re: Apiaries: I've built a few Apiaries in the middle of (largely) flower-free grasslands for the purpose of cross-breeding trees, and I noticed that flowers were popping up several meters outside of the bees' advertised area of effect. Wiki says it's 9x9x3 centered on the Apiary, but could it instead be "up to 9 blocks away from the Apiary"? (Unlikely; seems too large from what I've seen.) Or, do bees pollinate beyond this area, with the advertised AOE referring only to (A) the range of their "Effect" and/or (B) the area in which appropriate flowers must be found
The standard territory tells you the range, where the bee looks for flowers and applies its effect, while stuff governed by the pollination (a.k.a. flowering) trait multiply that range by 3 in each dimension.

Reactions: un worry

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
The Apiary is in the center of the effect, so in the case of 9x3x9 it extends into X and Z dimension by 4 and up/down by 1 each. I'm not sure which block of an Alveary counts as the center. You can test this by putting the flower a certain amount of spaces away and waiting 27.5 seconds. If the bee complains about no flowers, plant it one space closer. If it ages, the flower is close enough. Test this from all 4 sides and optimally also from above/below, then please tell us your results. :)
Oh, good idea -- that's definitely a test I can do. (I'll update the wikis too.)

The standard territory tells you the range, where the bee looks for flowers and applies its effect, while stuff governed by the pollination (a.k.a. flowering) trait multiply that range by 3 in each dimension.
That sounds about right, thanks! I just want to clarify what you mean by "multiply by 3 in each dimension": Do you mean multiply the total area (resulting in a "pollination area" of 27x9x27), or the "distance from Apiary" (i.e. 4-away on X/Z and 1-away on Y, multiplied by 3, equals 12-away on X/Z and 3-away on Y, for a pollination area of 25x7x25). I know it makes little difference, but I want to build my orchard to exact specifications :)

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Here's one, can I make an Industrial Information Panel display the amount of an item I have in my ME drives? Or perhaps a CC monitor? Or do I have to export that item to a diamond chest or a barrel or something?

And another, if you were going to make helium 3 cells from uu matter, how would you go about doing it? Glowstone?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Over a 24 hour period, my fermenter used 341 Fertilizer, as compared to MilConDoin's calculation of 255. So those 32 stacks will last about 6 days.

OttoSoul

Jul 29, 2019
Ay, im on the ultimate pack, and attempting to wright a new age using mystcraft. I found the some symbols, but no matter what i do... it seems that they have almost no effect on my world. i added the mushroom biome symbole, and the dense ore symbol, but i got a flat forest with rainbow trees. its like this with all my worlds. how detailed do you have to be in order to make a custom world?

p.s. i already watched direwolf20 and still, i can make customize my worlds.