Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Jul 29, 2019
Not that i'm aware of. I've utilised an MFR grinder to kill blazes coming out of a vanilla blaze spawner and it happily collects blaze rods.

Maybe it's something to do with the water?
I don't know for sure, but I think it is, because I watched around 15 blazes die, and I got 5 sulphur, 0 blaze rods... Can water turn blaze rods into sulphur? Is that a thing?!

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer a real blaze spawner fetched from a netherfortress with a jabba diamond dolly with an autonomous activator, item collect and sewage. The sewage gather more experience then a grinder.

I do get my blaze rods with that setup.

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer a real blaze spawner fetched from a netherfortress with a jabba diamond dolly with an autonomous activator, item collect and sewage. The sewage gather more experience then a grinder.

I do get my blaze rods with that setup.
I'm not trying to get xp, I have enough from mining. I'm just trying to get my blaze rods...
Well, is it possible to change the type of a powered spawner? Or only broken spawners?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
any idea how I'd change to my Java version? When I tried to put the version of Java I have in, it ignored it and put back the one from before.
No, because I don't use the curse virus launcher, as I do not see it as an improvement on any launcher that is already out there, and does not have a single feature to entice me.
The only thing that the Curse Launcher has which the FTB launcher doesn't is Agrarian Skies 2... which quite frankly isn't enough to even make me consider it :p

Reactions: Niidikene

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Ok, so I JUST built a blaze farm (using powered spawner) that kills the blazes with water (classic blaze farm). However, I am not getting any blaze rods, only sulphur. Is there some change that makes it so that a player must kill a blaze to get a blaze rod??
Blaze rods are a rare drop that can (in vanilla) can only be obtained by a player kill. Things like the MFR Grinder generally also trigger this drop.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
any idea how I'd change to my Java version? When I tried to put the version of Java I have in, it ignored it and put back the one from before.

I'd suggest completely uninstalling every version of Java installed on your machine and then re-installing Java, because as you've seen Java doesn't clean up after itself well when updated...

If you are using packs based on MC 1.6 and older you should use Java 1.7 due to some bugginess, but if you are using only newer packs based on MC 1.7 then you want to install Java 1.8.0_25. This is the Mojang approved and maintained version for the current MC and in fact is dynamically loaded every time you use the new Mojang launcher, which I believe Curse does.

You won't need to add any command-line switches as the Java 1.8 defaults are plenty for modded MC, but if you have to use Java 1.7 you will need to change these values to run MC 1.7 packs, and they help a lot with older packs:

Min. Ram = 2GB
Max. Ram = 4GB
PermGen = 256MB

Good luck!

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Do any of the mods in the Mage Quest pack have a way to make a spawner spawn faster or an alternative? Looking to speed up reinforced rune production so I can get a well of suffering going, and it's very slow going.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
@Starfang42 I don't know of any. The normal utilities that I would use to facilitate that (extra utilities, ender io, mfr). You could use Jabba to collect multiple spawners with the diamond dolly. Botania has an option to move spawners and even has an option to have them active even if a player isn't near the spawner that could be an option as well

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Back after a long absence, starting up with FTB Infinity and well into early game

So .... I have a nice expansive Highlands plateau picked out for my base, but how much space should I plan for
  • Witchery (is it mainly outdoors-ey and do I need to be close to one of those stonehenge structures?)
  • Thaumcraft (latest version has new node mechanics - do i need additional space for manipulating nodes and any new machines?)
  • Botania (assuming a garden shed and a good deal of outdoor space)

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Back after a long absence, starting up with FTB Infinity and well into early game

So .... I have a nice expansive Highlands plateau picked out for my base, but how much space should I plan for
  • Witchery (is it mainly outdoors-ey and do I need to be close to one of those stonehenge structures?)
  • Thaumcraft (latest version has new node mechanics - do i need additional space for manipulating nodes and any new machines?)
  • Botania (assuming a garden shed and a good deal of outdoor space)
Witchery has the largest footprint of those three mods by far. You'll need a 15x15 area for the circles, as well as a whole bunch of trees, crops, grass, flowers, and any other plants you can find to power your altar. I don't know how much space it needs precisely (depends on how dense the plants are, I guess), but it probably needs more than the circles. The altar does have a maximum range for how far away plants can be and still power it, but I don't know it off the top of my head. Probably on the wiki, though. Even then, you probably won't need to use all that space if you're willing to pack all the plants in more densely.

For Thaumcraft, you'll want space for a 7x7ish infusion altar, with about 50 jars stacked up around it. You'll probably want to stack the jars two high (since that's how high the golems you're likely to use to fill them can reach), so that's about 25 square blocks around the edges of your infusion room. If you leave, say, two blocks of floor space between the altar and the jars to give yourself and your golems enough space to move around freely, you've got yourself a 13x13 room, at least. You could do it with an 11x11 room, but it'd feel pretty cramped.
Oh, and you'll eventually want to spam candles and skulls and such around the altar. But that works just fine underneath the floor or higher up on the walls.
Also, you'll eventually want to have a wand recharger with a bunch of stabilized nodes around it. But you can lay that out basically however you like. Also note that if you put the nodes far enough apart (four blocks of space between them is the minimum IIRC), they won't bully each other, so you don't have to stabilize them, so they'll recharge faster. You should be able to space out 64 nodes around the recharging pedestal this way, if you're willing to devote a 16x16x16 block space (17x17x17 if you want the pedestal in the exact center) to it. Or you can just cram all the nodes together and stabilize them, either way.

Botania actually has a pretty small footprint. As you start on it, you'll want to have a dozen dayblooms and maybe nightshades out under the sky, but once you get fancier flowers, you won't need them. Unless you like having passive mana generation with dayblooms, nightshades, and hydroangeas, in which case you can make as big a garden as you like (Hmm, I wonder if Botania flowers can power the Witchery alter... probably not as well as trees, although it might be worth looking into. Just note that the dayblooms/nightshades probably won't produce mana when shaded by leaves.). The biggest multiblock to my knowledge is the Mana Enchanter, which is no larger than 7x11, and may be a block or two smaller in each direction; I don't remember the exact size.

If you ever get into Blood Magic, you'll want to leave a huge amount of space space open for the Blood Altar. The tier 6 altar requires a 23x23x9 block space, although it works perfectly fine if any or all of it is buried underground. Keep in mind that each tier adds a layer of blocks below the previous tier, so if you want the whole thing above ground, you'll want to start with your Altar fairly high up. Then again, if you want the altar block itself at ground level and everything else (save the pillars) below, that's fine, too.

Reactions: un worry

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
The witchery wiki says: "An altar has a range of about 14 (to 16) blocks to collect power and a range of 14 (to 16) blocks to distribute power (the distribution range can be extended to 28 (to 32) blocks by placing an Arthana onto the altar)"

Reactions: ScottulusMaximus

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
How often do you think a server should be restarted, shutdown etc.?
Personally I think any more than 6 hours is a risk not worth taking. I have my server restart every 3-4, especially on big packs.
Although there are people who will say just once a day, sometimes not even that. But personally, I think 6 hours is a push.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Personally I think any more than 6 hours is a risk not worth taking. I have my server restart every 3-4, especially on big packs.
Although there are people who will say just once a day, sometimes not even that. But personally, I think 6 hours is a push.

*blinks* wow really?? My friend's server was on a 24-hour cycle...! Though we all only ever went on in the evening and there was only 4 or 5 of us.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
*blinks* wow really?? My friend's server was on a 24-hour cycle...! Though we all only ever went on in the evening and there was only 4 or 5 of us.
I have never seen more than 10 on my servers, apart from back when vanilla was popular ;)

But I find that if a server is running for too long it does start to get a little sluggish, which sort of makes sense, but at the same time makes absolutely no sense.
I guess it is just like restarting your PC, reset the RAM usage, etc.

Piripács

Jul 29, 2019
In the Crafting Paradise modpack, how to change back to the normal lighting system?

I like to try out that pack, but that incredible annoying maximum bright light (even in ZERO light level!) in underground caves, forced me to stop playing that pack, just because of that!
I really hope there is a way to fix that.

NinjaPig31

Jul 29, 2019
Can any of you think of a way to automate the spectrolus from botania with ONLY Steve's factory manager? I have been trying to come up with a way to automate it like this for ages, but nothing. The reason I want to do it this way is mostly because, its easy to make it compact and the camoflauge blocks come in handy.

FYI the spectrolus is a generating flower from botania which eats up wool of different colors in order of the Minecraft spectrum of colors. The catch is it will eat up any color of wool instantly but only generates mana from the wool color its asking for.

So far I have come up with an idea in which the item valve from sfm drops a piece of white wool onto a glass block connected to an extended sticky piston to block a direct line of fire from the item valve to the spectrolus as it eats up wool instantly. There is then a condition which says if there is white wool do two things:
1.emit a redtone signal to remove the glass block, note this Redstone signal is also connected to a Redstone receiver from sfm.
2.this is connected to another condition which says if there is NO Redstone signal on the receiver i.e. if glass block is blocking the spectrolus, then push the next wool, orange.

This continuous on for all the wool colors and cycles back to white.

I am not sure how this will work as the speed of the piston is unreliable and the wool colors may fall in together. So I am looking for a better idea.

Note: my Redstone signal is connected to a NOTgate so that's what I mean when I imply that a Redstone signal causes the piston to retract

Thanks in advance:)

Edit: big post eh?

legionite626

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm still searching for a stronghold after 3 days and I decided to download the program Amidst to find the approximate locations of the strongholds. I understand the general concept of the program but when I open it up, I'm not sure what profile to choose. I'm playing on the latest version of FTB Infinity off of the curse launcher but I don't see a profile for that. Any ideas?

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm still searching for a stronghold after 3 days and I decided to download the program Amidst to find the approximate locations of the strongholds. I understand the general concept of the program but when I open it up, I'm not sure what profile to choose. I'm playing on the latest version of FTB Infinity off of the curse launcher but I don't see a profile for that. Any ideas?
google nbt explorer and open your world save folder with it image below shows were to find it out it shows the chunk numbers ( the numbers in brackets after coords on F3 screen)

E94phVH.jpg

Reactions: legionite626