Ask a complex Question, get a long Answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Are actively cooled BigReactor (0.3x) setups with those new turbines really worth it?

I built a 7x7x4 passively cooled reactor with 8 fuel rods and filled it with destabilized redstone.
And it delivered an output of 6.4 kRF/t from point-blank at moderate 1250 C with 0.06 mB/t fuel consumption.

While the same reactor (but without filling) coupled to a 24 blades double-coil (Gold) turbine only delivered about 3.3 kRF/t (@ 1800 rpm).
The same turbine but with a double-platinum coil delivered 7.1 kRF/t (@ 1800 rpm) with a ridiculous temperature of 3000 C and 3 times the fuel demand of the passive solution. (0.2 mB/t).
But this setup is way more complicated and expensive than the above mentioned passively cooled reactor.

Is there a way to get more out of an actively cooled setup?
Because currently I see no point in using the active setup which is much more expensive, more demanding (Yellorite, water, water, water..., did I mention water? XD) and delivers only a slight plus of output.
I thought the active setup was meant to be more efficient than the passive one...?
Aside from water, it should cost the same to run as a passive reactor. Unless you stripped out the heat transfer and/or coolant, anyway...

As for water, many are using Extra Utilities to get the water now. 64 mining upgrades and 64 transfer upgrades is suggested on the water generation side.

Shabazza

Jul 29, 2019
Well the core question was:
Am I doing something wrong or inefficient? Because my active (much more expensive) setup is outputting only slightly more than the passive cheap one.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Well the core question was:
Am I doing something wrong or inefficient? Because my active (much more expensive) setup is outputting only slightly more than the passive cheap one.
Did you change your reactor much when you made it into a active cooling one? Is it getting enough water?

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Are actively cooled BigReactor (0.3x) setups with those new turbines really worth it?

I built a 7x7x4 passively cooled reactor with 8 fuel rods and filled it with destabilized redstone.
And it delivered an output of 6.4 kRF/t from point-blank at moderate 1250 C with 0.06 mB/t fuel consumption.

While the same reactor (but without filling) coupled to a 24 blades double-coil (Gold) turbine only delivered about 3.3 kRF/t (@ 1800 rpm).
The same turbine but with a double-platinum coil delivered 7.1 kRF/t (@ 1800 rpm) with a ridiculous temperature of 3000 C and 3 times the fuel demand of the passive solution. (0.2 mB/t).
But this setup is way more complicated and expensive than the above mentioned passively cooled reactor.

Is there a way to get more out of an actively cooled setup?
Because currently I see no point in using the active setup which is much more expensive, more demanding (Yellorite, water, water, water..., did I mention water? XD) and delivers only a slight plus of output.
I thought the active setup was meant to be more efficient than the passive one...?

Well, I have this 7x7 reactor with 5 fuel rods passively cooled by cryotheum. It produces 12KiRF/t consuming 0.164mb/t of fuel. Controll rods untouched, no alterations to the fuel consumption or power production configs.

I upgraded this reactor to actively cooled with water. It now runs with the controll rods at 50%. Produces steam at 4000 mb/t and consumes fuel at 0.086mb/t. I got 2 16x11x11 turbines with 9 enderium coils and 80 rotor blades each running at ~921 RPM producing 23945 RF/t each. Additionally, reactor temperature is at 260 degrees. Meaning it does not need anny water input other then what the turbines return.

In short: controll rods set to 50%, about half the fuel usage, 4 times the power output. Yes, its worth it, but very expensive.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have a picture of those guys?

Like this?

jNxzfUp.jpg

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Eh... I think I misphrased my question. /blush
I was going to ask if it could be build vertically or not. Because those I built in craetive aren't working out.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Eh... I think I misphrased my question. /blush
I was going to ask if it could be build vertically or not. Because those I built in craetive aren't working out.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

They can be. Ako has one in his RR videos.

Reactions: PierceSG

Shabazza

Jul 29, 2019
@Skyqula
Jesus. I didn't know you can stack rotor blades. oO
And I also did not know that you can still have coolant fluid or blocks in an active reactor. So I evacuated it.
I could have tried this, but my imagination did not went that far. XD

How do you supply it with enough water?

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
@Skyqula
Jesus. I didn't know you can stack rotor blades. oO
And I also did not know that you can still have coolant fluid or blocks in an active reactor. So I evacuated it.
I could have tried this, but my imagination did not went that far. XD

How do you supply it with enough water?

Well, the giant mess down below on the picture? I had tesseracts there. Once the setup is running though, it is self sufficient and doesnt need anny water input other then what the turbines return to the reactor :)

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So I have this simple system on my ME network where I have a level emitter on a precision export bus pointing into my ME drive, so that when the level emitter detects there's less than a certain level of empty space in the network storage, it sends a redstone signal to the export bus, which inputs a new disk into the drive. This much is easy.

My question is how to "next level" this and get the network to place a new drive block in an adjacent square to the network, then a new level emitter and export bus (i'm already guessing I'll need to manually preconfigure these).

I have some vague ideas about spatial storage, transition planes, that sort of thing, but I'm really not well versed enough with either to have a clue.

Any ideas how this could be achieved?

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
So I have this simple system on my ME network where I have a level emitter on a precision export bus pointing into my ME drive, so that when the level emitter detects there's less than a certain level of empty space in the network storage, it sends a redstone signal to the export bus, which inputs a new disk into the drive. This much is easy.

My question is how to "next level" this and get the network to place a new drive block in an adjacent square to the network, then a new level emitter and export bus (i'm already guessing I'll need to manually preconfigure these).

I have some vague ideas about spatial storage, transition planes, that sort of thing, but I'm really not well versed enough with either to have a clue.

Any ideas how this could be achieved?

Humm... you might be able to use block mover from random thing to move the drive from the location where you are filling it. Using an autonomous activator to take it out, shove it into an turtle and make that turtle move to where you want to put it (you should have a way to try to place it at one place and if the place is taken, move one to the left or right and retry, untill it can do it)

Then another autonomous activator to place a new drive, using a block detector to check what block is in front of it. Or computer craft again to place and/or detect a spot

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well, I have this 7x7 reactor with 5 fuel rods passively cooled by cryotheum. It produces 12KiRF/t consuming 0.164mb/t of fuel. Controll rods untouched, no alterations to the fuel consumption or power production configs.
You should consider changing that Cryotheum to Ender instead to get higher efficiency. Cryotheum is great for in between fuel rods, but crap for outer layer since it is really bad at absorbing and moderating the radiation. By using Cryotheum you are allowing all the radiation to escape without taking advantage of it.

Have the same 7x7 reactor with 5 rods in X formation, but with an Ender "jacket" and Diamond blocks(solid blocks cause different liquids next to each other is a mess) between the Fuel rods and it outputs 14k+RF/t.

Made a more in-depth description of how it works here:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...and-guide-collection.42664/page-9#post-656896

EDIT: gah thought this was the "simple question" thread, didn't realise the date on what I replied to...