Ars Magica

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
Awwww this is so tempting man! PURE magic! I'm literally on the verge of doing this myself (but with EE3 also). You added RP and XY just for the worldgen right?

Yeah. I kinda like using xycraft blocks as floors and ceilings. Mobs don't spawn on them.

RP is just for sickles, canvas bags, marble, basalt and gems. No machines.

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying to get Ars Magica to work right but either the mobs don't all spawn right and/or I end up with random crashes each attempt. Even after changing various IDs around it still never really quite works just right. Not sure if it's the Ars Magica mod itself or other conflicts in the core between it and something else though. Lot of time it doesn't even give error messages, just hard crashes.

Also it has a real problem in iced over water areas. It seems to make some form of ice maze under the water so you can see and dig to the chests instead of going through the maze.

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019
After watching some more of Mithion's LP, man we definitely don't need ore doubling machines or quarries with this mod... Every single orb of experience should get absorbed by the player, be it mining, smelting, breeding. Heck, even enchanting is a double-edged sword with this mod :p However, it does promote exploring greatly so, adventurers get ready!

Mezyman

Jul 29, 2019
As one of the Beta Testers for Ars Magica (Come on guys, capitalize the name) I can reveal that what is planned for the mod, has never in the history of Minecraft Modding been done before. Ars Magica mob spawning rates have been lowered to an extent, and structure spawning rates are now in the config. More spells are planned to come.

As well as Optifine is semi-compatible with Ars Magica, I have been using it since day one and have had no issues with it. I use the Ultra version myself, and other than that the only thing apart from what I've heard other people doing that I do different, is I delete META-INF even though it is not necessarily needed. Try that out.

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
My biggest dilemma, as I am really enjoying the mod, is deciding what type of armor to wear that will give me adequate protection against magical and standard damage. I want something that is going to protect me from Ars Magica mobs but I also want to be protected from vanilla mobs, Twilight Forest mobs, etc...

As well as Optifine is semi-compatible with Ars Magica, I have been using it since day one and have had no issues with it. I use the Ultra version myself, and other than that the only thing apart from what I've heard other people doing that I do different, is I delete META-INF even though it is not necessarily needed. Try that out.

Mind if I ask which versions of MC, Forge, Ars Magica and Optifine you are using?

Mezyman

Jul 29, 2019
MC Version: 1.4.7
Forge Version: Newest release. Just got a fresh copy.
Ars Magica Version: Does not matter. Been using since before the public release, not one issue.
Optifine: Been using since before Ars Magica public release.

All in all, I have not had one issue with Optifine throughout the history of my time with Ars Magica.

Just wanted to clear that up with everyone.

-Maybe it's the ridiculous amount of mods people install at one time ;)

Reactions: DanteGalileo

Xeonen

Jul 29, 2019
Ars Magica would be a perfect addition to the Ultimate Pack, I've looked around and checked it out back in the day and it brings out magic as magic not like a technological advance and can go perfectly with technology in a steam-punk setting.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Ars Magica would be a perfect addition to the Ultimate Pack, I've looked around and checked it out back in the day and it brings out magic as magic not like a technological advance and can go perfectly with technology in a steam-punk setting.
That's what I feel like thaumcraft is, sort of magic with alchemy and technology. Which isn't a bad thing, makes it all that much better. But Ars Magica is completely magic. Sure there's some things in it that could be used very nicely along with tech mods, but that's one of the reasons that I want it in the ultimate pack.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Ars is to me the magic of your own will (manipulating your own energy to affect the world), TC3 is more the magic of the world (how to manipulate the aspects of the world to do what you want) neither is very techy imo. Both are great fun when played alongside each other and TC3 especially is fantastic alongside various techmods, the golems make various incredibly convoluted designs much more compact and lets not forget cute :D

Edit: After a bit of a think I'd say that Ars is the more techy of the 2 really, it has power production\power transfer and power usage mechanics as well as the spellcasting which is purely self. Though neither is very techy at all still.

fingersome

Jul 29, 2019
The Ultimate pack should have everything. People can disable what they don't want, but the point is that the don't have to mess with configs for 50+ (more like 100+, now that I think of it) mods. More choice is good, people. Saying something should be excluded from Ultimate is the same as saying "I don't like it, so no one should have it."

I'm with bagman.

Also I think AM would fit well in the magic world pack.
I saw direwolfs spotlight of it recently, and it's changed a lot since I first stumbled across it.
Back then It was veeeeery clunky, but i'm warming to it more and more as the features that are cool and functional begin to outweigh the fluff.
The author has been very busy and working very hard on it to get it up to scratch, and I doth my hat to him.

hellraizer1967

Jul 29, 2019
I am a bit confused here. Is it a stable mod? If it dont cause the game to crash or have major conflicts operating with other mods, I do not see why it is not already in the ultimate pack. So far I have only came accros one good reason and I am not sure that it was a good enough reason to keep it out of the ultimate pack, for awhile (not sure if it still dose or not) optifine had problems with it. As soon as that problem is resolved then I would say "end of discussion". If you want to play with it then make sure its on the list.​

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
I am a bit confused here. Is it a stable mod? If it dont cause the game to crash or have major conflicts operating with other mods, I do not see why it is not already in the ultimate pack. So far I have only came accros one good reason and I am not sure that it was a good enough reason to keep it out of the ultimate pack, for awhile (not sure if it still dose or not) optifine had problems with it. As soon as that problem is resolved then I would say "end of discussion". If you want to play with it then make sure its on the list.
It is a stable mod now, the only reason people were complaining before was because there were some major bugs, and the dryads apparently spawned too much.

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
I am a bit confused here. Is it a stable mod? If it dont cause the game to crash or have major conflicts operating with other mods, I do not see why it is not already in the ultimate pack. So far I have only came accros one good reason and I am not sure that it was a good enough reason to keep it out of the ultimate pack, for awhile (not sure if it still dose or not) optifine had problems with it. As soon as that problem is resolved then I would say "end of discussion". If you want to play with it then make sure its on the list.​

Slow said in the recent update thread that there are balancing issues with the mod, and so it wouldn't be included in Ultimate. I do believe it's going into Magic World 2, however.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Slow said in the recent update thread that there are balancing issues with the mod, and so it wouldn't be included in Ultimate. I do believe it's going into Magic World 2, however.
I assume he's referring to the fabricator. That probably does need some tweaking, but right now, Mithion has put quite a bit of effort into the way items are fabricated so that there can be no exploits, and the community has been pretty good about informing him about any exploits they find.

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
I assume he's referring to the fabricator. That probably does need some tweaking, but right now, Mithion has put quite a bit of effort into the way items are fabricated so that there can be no exploits, and the community has been pretty good about informing him about any exploits they find.

Honestly I'm not sure. I've played with the mod a bit, and love it. I've not gotten to the fabricator yet, so I can't really comment on its balance. I've read some comments on here that usually difficult items to get are ridiculously easy with the mod. But then, I tend to stay away from areas of mods that I find unbalanced, rather than dismiss the mod altogether.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly I'm not sure. I've played with the mod a bit, and love it. I've not gotten to the fabricator yet, so I can't really comment on its balance. I've read some comments on here that usually difficult items to get are ridiculously easy with the mod. But then, I tend to stay away from areas of mods that I find unbalanced, rather than dismiss the mod altogether.
Yeah, I try to do that. I think the way the fabricator works is pretty balanced as the only way to passively produce things with it is a light nexus, which is EXTREMELY slow.

twoopi

Jul 29, 2019
Not when you have TE and setup Igneus Extruders to feed into a nexus, you start to gain a fair chunk of power for the fabricator. I had 6 feeding into one nexus and had it making iron blocks... It wasn't really slow.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Not when you have TE and setup Igneus Extruders to feed into a nexus, you start to gain a fair chunk of power for the fabricator. I had 6 feeding into one nexus and had it making iron blocks... It wasn't really slow.
Well yes, but the value of cobble is very very very low. Even lower in the latest version. Only six igneous extruders will provide you with a boost at most. But to defend this, i'd like to say that it's still just a cobble farm and that you're still putting some form of "effort" into it. I.E. making the extruders and setting them up.

twoopi

Jul 29, 2019
Well yes, but the value of cobble is very very very low. Even lower in the latest version. Only six igneous extruders will provide you with a boost at most. But to defend this, i'd like to say that it's still just a cobble farm and that you're still putting some form of "effort" into it. I.E. making the extruders and setting them up.
IIRC cobble is worth 60 each, an igneus makes one cobble every two seconds, and it takes 5600 or so per iron block. I'm tired as heck, so I might have something wrong with any part of this, but 5600 / 60 * 2 is one iron block every 186ish seconds per igneus, and there's really no limit to how many igneus's you can have pumping into one nexus.

As always, feel free to correct me on any part of this, these numbers were off the top of my head, but I set this system up last week. I think the Ars Magica version was the one previous to the current version, though. So it might have changed.