Arendelle Castle (from the movie Frozen) Pictures

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Just a small update. I updated the computercraft program that controls the front gate as part of my preparations to make the map more suitable for world download.

To those who don't know or don't remember, the computer uses a sensor from open peripherals to detect all of the users in range and compares the names to a whitelist and a blacklist to decide if the gate can be opened or not. Initially, I had hardcoded it to only respond to my username and some of the characters from Frozen (for fun). Now, I removed my own username from the hardcoded default and implemented a system which means you can add/remove as many users to both the blacklist and the whitelist (it should work fine on a server). You can also easily view both lists. You just need to go to the computer and interrupt the main loop by pressing any key and you can go into the list manager. When you have finished you can exit the list manager and the program resumes normally. There is no messing about with ctrl+t or ctrl+r or whatever and no manual edits are necessary. The lists are stored on a file on the computer so any changed settings will survive server restarts (assuming a crash didn't mess up computercraft that is!). It is also using the latest version of computercraft which is nice!

Here is a little screenshot of my primitive menu

2014-04-24_22.18.13.png

I have not thoroughly tested out this new program yet, but when I am confident it works properly I will release it on pastebin. It is quite a nice thing to have although I might have to put it through another big update if I want to make the detection range more customizable without having to manually edit the program.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Watch as someone makes a huge frozen RP out of this
I would be delighted if someone did that on this map. I'm even considering changing my minecraft skin to Princess Anna while I play around this map, although I am quite attached to my current one (lol, attached to skin)

Reactions: Adonis0

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to try and make it an adventure map according to the story to the best of my ability. :D I'll probably fail, but when I perhaps finish, it'll be epic.

Reactions: casilleroatr

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to try and make it an adventure map according to the story to the best of my ability. :D I'll probably fail, but when I perhaps finish, it'll be epic.
Thats really cool.

There is an Alps biome right next to the castle as well where you could build Elsa's ice palace. It is huge and goes up to about y level 230 so it is an ideal setting. I heavily customised the BOP config to increase the likelihood of finding terrain that is fitting for the film. Also I am just updating the other door control programs in my base to make it so that they don't rely on hardcoded passwords. They are only there to separate the main castle from the functional underground base and the idea is that you can reuse the programs anywhere else either in the castle or in another world.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Just had a major world eating crash and I can't load up my castle at all anymore...

...it's a good job I keep regular backups! :p

I lost a bit of progress but it was all in the subterranean bit (where there will be plenty of room to fit an actual base) and doesn't actually affect any of the castle. It is a shame because I had just finished building a nice room and I had done some tidying up which was a bit tedious the first time round, but c'est la vie.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Nevertheless, I have just looked at Sjin's youtube and I am very impressed with his castle after just a cursory look. Its very nice!

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Be that as it may. Comparing your castle to sjin's is comparing apples to oranges. Your's is using mods. His is forced to be blocky where you have the ability to do slopes. Personally... I prefer yours :)

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
To get this thread back on track I would like to post a couple of screenshots of my progress under the castle. This "base" area is starting to come together and I have a quite a few rooms complete. My intention is to use it as a base myself when I get round to actually playing with this world again but I hope that it will be suitable for other people who might download the map and wish to move in themselves.

Some of the rooms continue the main aesthetic style of the castle, with lots of green and brown. However, I don't feel as bound to that colour scheme because this area of the castle is obviously not based on the film and is driven more by the kinds of things I like to do in survival worlds. My personal aesthetic preferences might not be to everyone's taste - there is lots of glorious pink and purple - but I have tried to incorporate a mixture of styles to the best of my ability. So hopefully there will be at least one thing that each of you like and if not, well if you do download the map I won't mind if you redo it all to your taste :).

Each room I build I do have a plan for. This will probably affect what each room is suitable for. For example, one room is designed to house all of my Tinker's construct things as well as a pair of tanks for lava and creosote. The room is designed from the outset to handle that. Similarly I have designed a room with the express purpose of fitting a Big Reactor in there with computercraft stuff and a load of RECs. I am consciously trying to make it so there is room for everything in the pack (with the possible exception of some of the Magic mods whose space requirements I am unfamiliar with). Other than the two rooms mentioned above each room should be generic enough that you could put anything you want in there regardless of the order I have envisioned for it.

This is the room that you first enter by locating a secret passageway inside the castle. The computerscreens don't do anything, I was just putting them in as a concept but I thought they looked cool so I left them in for the picture. As it is the main base lobby I decided to be quite faithful to the aesthetic pattern for this room.

UZHh3AV.png

To build up the base I used a filler to hollow out everything below the castle down to about y=14. Here is a photo of all the snaking corridors and finished rooms. I think it looks quite cool from this perspective.

0UB1e6B.png

My character is currently standing at the end of a corridor where I built an overhang into a big room. This room has a direct tunnel to the shoreline which can be used as a railway if you want. My plan for this room is to a main depot where trains from my farms and mining operations will come in and drop off their stuff. However, it is just a basic cuboid with a basement that can be used for pretty much anything.

NEHYgkt.png

3VnrG6j.png

This is where I plan on putting my Smelteries and a few other things. It is a lot darker than most of my other rooms and the shape of the room is a bit awkward but I think it is atmospheric. At least that is what I am telling myself, I am not too sure if I like it.

m0breyA.png

MH6v0LN.png

Three rooms with drastically different styles.

My pink lab. Next to my Tinker's rooms. I am planning on using it for enchantments and other similar things. Underneath I am putting a room which will have plenty of room for liquid storage or other support structures you may wish to put in their place if you wish to repurpose the room.

Z3PRCJF.png

This is another generic cuboid, but its central location and futuristic look lend it towards a high tech mod - I am thinking enhanced portals.

XMjOzzk.png

Finally, this room is intended to be a lab where I just put random stuff from different tech mods like mad science or minechem. There is no explicit theme except it looks vaguely like a lab.

nBB3mLW.png

Finally, there is my power room. Or at least one of my power rooms ;).

I am planning on hanging a big reactor in the middle of the room and building a support infrastructure around it including an energy cell array and plenty of computer control. I quite like the way it turned out, particularly the balcony and the wires at the top.

bjvF98e.png

So that's it for now. There will be plenty more rooms added in the next few days. I hope to make room for things like an AE system; a coke oven factory; plenty of room for custom crafting rigs; many kinds of ore processing; more powergen particularly for buildcraft and Factorization if necessary (no IC2 in the pack); Thaumcraft + addons; hopefully blood magic if I can fit it in; potential space for things like mob grinders or wither battle arenas.

That will probably be it then (there is another decent building where I will personally put Ars Magica stuff, and there is of course a whole world out there to add more buildings). There might be another area which is a bit more dangerous than it used to be though :eek:.

masterzh

Forum Addict
Jan 6, 2013
Slovakia
Yogscast sjin is doing better and he is doing it in plain vinilla
Judging based on "simple one look" is totally unprofessional and dumb.
Comparing vanilla and modded builds is nonsense.
Criticizing others build right from your first post without showing anything at all what you have built, without any constructive criticism ... oh boy...

To get this thread back on track... woow!
[/spoiler]
If you have a lot of details and functional stuff around, behind scenes are always impressive.
Main depot sounds very interesting. Cant wait for more progress in it.
"Smelteries area" look almost horror like! Excellent designs all around!
Only thing i dont like is use of "Chiseled Stone Bricks"(entrance to green-ish lab/power room lights frame decoration etc.) It doesnt fit to chisel blocks and look boring and vanilla.
If you continue building like this you will get E.R.A.M. cookie... :)

Last edited:

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
So I have been adding a few more rooms to the castle.

A few mods that I would like to accommodate in this castle are very space intensive (e.g. Thaumcraft, Blood Magic) and I have been thinking of good ways to ensure that I will have nice rooms that will fit the theme of mods such as these. As a result, quite a few of the rooms are really designed around the needs of a particular mod and don't lend themselves easily to fitting different types of mod. This helps me come up with themed designs for each room but it also reduces the flexibility of the base which might be bad in terms of the world download that I hope to produce*.

As is the case with all of these screenshots, everything is subject to further refinement. For example, I think my Thaumcraft room is a bit busy and I might change it up a bit. Perhaps it is silly of me to post unfinished builds here, but I enjoy doing it. Anyway here is a bit more progress (also there is a little joke near the end. It might not be appropriate for everyone, and I'm not sure if WayofTime would approve ;))

This is the main room in my Thaumcraft room. As you can see, I couldn't really decide which colours I wanted to use most. Its pretty clear where I think a good place to put an infusion altar is. There is a convenient area under the floor there to put stabilisers.My character is standing on a mezzanine which is mainly there to make the room structurally interesting. There is a corridor on the lower floor to the right which has access to two subsidiary rooms for random Thaumic doings and a room underneath the mezzanine there is another room which I plan on using to automate alchemy (possibly, it can be used for anything else though).

egiF5Zx.png

Alternate view

MuhzQYO.png

Room for alchemy automation. This was slapped together to be honest, but I *always* say, "if you're gonna slap a room together in minecraft, use Dartcraft bricks".

yG6JDUf.png

In a separate part of the building I added another general purpose room. I plan on using it mainly for MJ related things. It is just a large cuboid though so you can use it for anything. I'm not sure if I like the colour scheme. I wanted an excuse to use the cherry wood more extensively from BOP but I can't decide if I like the room or not.

E88lnDK.png

Another MJ/Railcraft room follows. It is in a different part of the building completely, and I have fitted it so that it can house many coke ovens and blast furnaces. This is my first major build using vanilla bricks and I have mixed feelings about the results.

ogH1chm.png

Below those fences you can see into a lower section of the room which is quite big and is versatile.

Finally, I really want to get into Blood Magic when I play through this map. I keep telling myself to get into it but I have put it off for now. However, if I build myself a cool room to play in then maybe I will be a real blood mage one day. I am building a lobby right now to what I will call "The Sanguinarium"...

I'm sure the name has been thought of before, but I think it is a pretty nifty idea so I made this sign to welcome the player in. If Elsa had blood powers?

k4kfMxF.png

Like I said, everything is subject to further refinement, so I will happily listen to suggestions on how to improve things (or maybe you'll just want me to release a download :p. Either way, I welcome any feedback.

<Kind critique>
I read your critique and I take your point about the chiselled stone bricks in some cases. I agreed with your point for the green laboratory. I have changed that for something I think fits better. In some cases though, I actually quite like it. Personally, I like the way it looks as a light frame decoration in some cases and I don't want to change that. I guess you can't please everyone, but I do appreciate the input and I will definitely experiment with other lighting solutions, although I'm not too confident with coming up with much better (tbh, lighting is not my forte, I usually just spam wrath lamps or something). I would be honoured by an E.R.A.M cookie, I'm sure it will be delicious!

*I have never made a world download before, and this map wasn't built with the idea that I would release the save file. I have a couple of technical issues that I am unfamiliar with to make sure that the save file is practical to distribute. I will be experimenting inside the save directory (deleting unnecessary regions etc, keeping backups of course) although any advice in this area would be appreciated.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
So I have been adding a few more rooms to the castle.

A few mods that I would like to accommodate in this castle are very space intensive (e.g. Thaumcraft, Blood Magic) and I have been thinking of good ways to ensure that I will have nice rooms that will fit the theme of mods such as these. As a result, quite a few of the rooms are really designed around the needs of a particular mod and don't lend themselves easily to fitting different types of mod. This helps me come up with themed designs for each room but it also reduces the flexibility of the base which might be bad in terms of the world download that I hope to produce*.

As is the case with all of these screenshots, everything is subject to further refinement. For example, I think my Thaumcraft room is a bit busy and I might change it up a bit. Perhaps it is silly of me to post unfinished builds here, but I enjoy doing it. Anyway here is a bit more progress (also there is a little joke near the end. It might not be appropriate for everyone, and I'm not sure if WayofTime would approve ;))

This is the main room in my Thaumcraft room. As you can see, I couldn't really decide which colours I wanted to use most. Its pretty clear where I think a good place to put an infusion altar is. There is a convenient area under the floor there to put stabilisers.My character is standing on a mezzanine which is mainly there to make the room structurally interesting. There is a corridor on the lower floor to the right which has access to two subsidiary rooms for random Thaumic doings and a room underneath the mezzanine there is another room which I plan on using to automate alchemy (possibly, it can be used for anything else though).

egiF5Zx.png

Alternate view

MuhzQYO.png

Room for alchemy automation. This was slapped together to be honest, but I *always* say, "if you're gonna slap a room together in minecraft, use Dartcraft bricks".

yG6JDUf.png

In a separate part of the building I added another general purpose room. I plan on using it mainly for MJ related things. It is just a large cuboid though so you can use it for anything. I'm not sure if I like the colour scheme. I wanted an excuse to use the cherry wood more extensively from BOP but I can't decide if I like the room or not.

E88lnDK.png

Another MJ/Railcraft room follows. It is in a different part of the building completely, and I have fitted it so that it can house many coke ovens and blast furnaces. This is my first major build using vanilla bricks and I have mixed feelings about the results.

ogH1chm.png

Below those fences you can see into a lower section of the room which is quite big and is versatile.

Finally, I really want to get into Blood Magic when I play through this map. I keep telling myself to get into it but I have put it off for now. However, if I build myself a cool room to play in then maybe I will be a real blood mage one day. I am building a lobby right now to what I will call "The Sanguinarium"...

I'm sure the name has been thought of before, but I think it is a pretty nifty idea so I made this sign to welcome the player in. If Elsa had blood powers?

k4kfMxF.png

Like I said, everything is subject to further refinement, so I will happily listen to suggestions on how to improve things (or maybe you'll just want me to release a download :p. Either way, I welcome any feedback.

I read your critique and I take your point about the chiselled stone bricks in some cases. I agreed with your point for the green laboratory. I have changed that for something I think fits better. In some cases though, I actually quite like it. Personally, I like the way it looks as a light frame decoration in some cases and I don't want to change that. I guess you can't please everyone, but I do appreciate the input and I will definitely experiment with other lighting solutions, although I'm not too confident with coming up with much better (tbh, lighting is not my forte, I usually just spam wrath lamps or something). I would be honoured by an E.R.A.M cookie, I'm sure it will be delicious!

*I have never made a world download before, and this map wasn't built with the idea that I would release the save file. I have a couple of technical issues that I am unfamiliar with to make sure that the save file is practical to distribute. I will be experimenting inside the save directory (deleting unnecessary regions etc, keeping backups of course) although any advice in this area would be appreciated.
Find a free file download host. Mediafire and Dropbox work for this. Put your character where you want the next person to spawn and copy your player.dat over to level.dat's player tag. Player.dat is named after your player. So my player is trajing, mine would be trajing.dat

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Find a free file download host. Mediafire and Dropbox work for this. Put your character where you want the next person to spawn and copy your player.dat over to level.dat's player tag. Player.dat is named after your player. So my player is trajing, mine would be trajing.dat
Do you mean I should rename my character.dat file level.dat replacing the original file, or are you suggesting using something like NBTedit to change the different fields based on whats in my player.dat?

Also, is it possible to just delete region files with no negative consequences (assuming its the right region of course) using windows explorer, or should I use something like MCedit.

I already got myself a dropbox account so at least I have hosting sorted.

Thanks trajing (sorry if these are all really dumb questions)

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Do you mean I should rename my character.dat file level.dat replacing the original file, or are you suggesting using something like NBTedit to change the different fields based on whats in my player.dat?

Also, is it possible to just delete region files with no negative consequences (assuming its the right region of course) using windows explorer, or should I use something like MCedit.

I already got myself a dropbox account so at least I have hosting sorted.

Thanks trajing (sorry if these are all really dumb questions)
Don't rename your player.dat, just copy over the tags in it to the player tag in level.dat. Certain things will not be copied over, but most of it will. I've never dealt with deleting region files, I never released a map, just did some NBT editing with NBTExplorer for fun.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Don't rename your player.dat, just copy over the tags in it to the player tag in level.dat. Certain things will not be copied over, but most of it will. I've never dealt with deleting region files, I never released a map, just did some NBT editing with NBTExplorer for fun.
Well, I always counted on having to do a bit of experimentation anyway, but any information I can have before hand certainly helps. Thanks again

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I really miss the nuclear control mod which isn't a part of Resonant Rise because of lack of IC2.

But I do have computercraft so I have been able to make better looking signs using monitors. I wrote a program which allows you to use one computer to set an arbitrary number of monitors. I am currently setting 11 (with one test) and I will be adding more monitors as I build more rooms. I wrote one function that takes several arguments to customize your sign (including text, text colour, text size, background colour, optional border of any colour, optional subtitle). Currently all of my signs are drawn with the same function, however, I wrote the program in such a way that it would be easy to not only add your own new signs, you can write your own functions to further customize the way signs are drawn (and pass any number of arguments, + a couple of semi-compulsory ones). I also redid the Blood Magic sign using this program and it works just the same. I plan on cleaning up the code and releasing it on pastebin soon. I might even write another sign making function. In the mean time here are some teasers.

2014-05-03_16.50.16.png

2014-05-03_16.50.44.png

2014-05-03_16.51.53.png
LnGk7sr.png
There is a lot of networking cable

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I just finished the main room in my Blood Magic wing, and imho I think it is the best room I have done so far. I have been going for diabolical!

The entrance is near the Thaumcraft room and the first room you arrive at is the Atrium. Go down the stairs to access the rest of the Sanguinarium

KiG6oIp.png

The flowing liquid at the back is Tinker's Construct blood (I felt it looked better than the blood magic blood when placed in the world).

Walk down the stairs and you arrive in the main blood magic room.

mqVBvye.png

It is the only room I have completed so far but it is huge. I am planning on adding a few more rooms on either side for things like the alchemical brewing and armour making.

At the far end of the room is enough space for a tier 5 altar with upgraded beacons. It looks really cool when the altar is actually there as the glowstone and beacons provide really nice ambient light. As it is, I am using night vision potions to solve lighting. The wall decoration is made from bones from Biomes o plenty.

jDPUtPI.png

I am quite pleased with the way the ceiling turned out. It pops out nicely I think without being overbearing. I am using bloodwood from natura too which I think is appropriate. My fiancée came up with the fire lamp idea and I love them!

22aueOK.png

Unfortunately, even though this room is so big, there is only room for one altar. However I used the space to build something epic. Behold, the blood cascade

HNMF9Cg.png

qtUP3ov.png

Finally, for a bit of fun, and to make the floor more interesting, I built this.

Lze7UUO.png

In case it is not obvious, it is meant to be the demon from the Blood magic artwork. I really like the way that the blood is flowing into its mouth like a swirling vortex. Don't fall in. The fangs are also made of BOP bones and the eyes are made of ender infused stone (extra utils) and sanguinite blocks (metallurgy). I hope no one minds there being a demon in the base (or a representation of one).