Are you gonna use biome mods in 1.7?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Are you gonna use biome mods in 1.7?

• Yes.

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • No.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
Im just curious.Personally im not gonna use them because they are not needed that much anymore.
Minecraft has enough cool default biomes ... :p

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
Probably not, because I prefer small-ish modpacks, as slim as they can be for the play style I want. If I'm in the mood of some large adventurous exploration gameplay though, I might install one or two.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
While the extra biomes mods are nice, they don't really add anything more than a few nice biomes. Lately, there's been more and more mods adding their own biomes. Combined with Vanilla adding more biomes as time goes by, we really won't be needing extra biome mods for much longer.

To be honest, even at this point things like Biomes o' Plenty seem more like a hindrance.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I'm working on a 1.7 private pack at the moment and decided against using any extra biomes mods for the reasons already mentioned. There are enough biomes in standard minecraft now that it's not really needed. Only one I'm considering is ATG and that's just to make the world look more natural via it's generation algorithm.

Reactions: Vasa

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
I played with ATG and while the world is more to my liking than any other worldgen/biome mods out there, I did find one fault with it. Villages were impossible to find. But still, I would use it.

Oh, as for the vote/poll, there is no "undecided" option to I'll abstain.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Currently I use Biomes o plenty. I enjoy most of the biomes it adds but the other thing that would stop me from dropping it is the decorative blocks it adds, from the gems and the different types of wood. Some of them are really pretty and I like to use them when I do one of the things in minecraft I enjoy most, derping around in creative mode building houses. I can see how many might feel a bit bogged down by all the different biomes though. But with BOP I think it is still worth it if you disable ~70% of the new biomes. It can be really useful to help increase the chances of getting the right scene for your build. For a big build I did recently I was messing around in default configs for a few hours to try and find a decent place to set up with no luck. I wanted a pleasant combination of mountains, forests and coastline with no view of deserts or jungles or other things like that. Customizing the biome gen config helped me to ensure that I found something like this not to far from spawn.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone to use biome mods who doesn't want to, just giving a list of reasons why I think (and hope) that mods like Biomes o plenty will still be relevant even as vanilla adds more biomes.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Depends, really, with how the "feel" of the new biomes are. Haven't used 1.7 yet, so I can't say one way or the other.
Likely will unless more biomes then in 1.6 allow villages, and if that number is more then 1. I wish to have villagers around, since they are good for emeralds and the occasional other useful thing.

I know, I know, "cure zombie villagers". But that costs gold and a splash potion of weakness, and I ain't got time for that.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Of course. The new biomes are only really OK and don't compare to most of BoP. And the new ones are so rare you'll still end up with the same old ones. Also BoP adds so much content I could never drop it.

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I really don't think a ton of biomes adds anything to the game (for me). I really like how Natura adds biome related content into the game. It adds no new biomes, but it manages to significantly change the atmosphere of the Minecraft world. I wish other biome-mods had that approach to adding content. Biomes O' Plenty adds tons of great content to the Minecraft world, but the majority of the biomes it adds I don't really like.

If there was an option to enable BoP (slimmed down) content without adding the biomes I would be thrilled.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I really don't think a ton of biomes adds anything to the game (for me). I really like how Natura adds biome related content into the game. It adds no new biomes, but it manages to significantly change the atmosphere of the Minecraft world. I wish other biome-mods had that approach to adding content. Biomes O' Plenty adds tons of great content to the Minecraft world, but the majority of the biomes it adds I don't really like.

If there was an option to enable BoP (slimmed down) content without adding the biomes I would be thrilled.

It does add a lot of new content to vanilla biomes, so if you disabled all BoP biomes but still used the BiomesOP world type it would look quite different with additional content (no new trees, just things like exposed stone and grass)

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
It does add a lot of new content to vanilla biomes, so if you disabled all BoP biomes but still used the BiomesOP world type it would look quite different with additional content (no new trees, just things like exposed stone and grass)
What I meant was stuff like extra grass types, trees, moss, biome features like giant trees. Things like changes to terrain generation don't have the same impact.

Reactions: Vasa

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
What I meant was stuff like extra grass types, trees, moss, biome features like giant trees. Things like changes to terrain generation don't have the same impact.

You'll still find new flowers, miner's delight underground, poison water. Lots of stuff really. I even mentioned new grass types, but you seem to have ignored that. Moses will also generate as I believe that's part of BoP. I knew exactly what you meant.[DOUBLEPOST=1397697199][/DOUBLEPOST]Also giant trees is not a biome feature as Natura does not add biomes.

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
You'll still find new flowers, miner's delight underground, poison water. Lots of stuff really. I even mentioned new grass types, but you seem to have ignored that. Moses will also generate as I believe that's part of BoP. I knew exactly what you meant.[DOUBLEPOST=1397697199][/DOUBLEPOST]Also giant trees is not a biome feature as Natura does not add biomes.
I was not referring to Natura redwoods. I meant trees in the timber biome for example. Not different wood types but different generation. By grass types I thought you meant grass blocks and the different colors. I was not aware of the miner's delight etc still generating. The "flaming inferno(?)" Biome has giant holes in the landscape. I assume those features are dependant to specific biomes. I think if features such as those were incorporated into the generation without adding new biomes it would be cool.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I was not referring to Natura redwoods. I meant trees in the timber biome for example. Not different wood types but different generation. By grass types I thought you meant grass blocks and the different colors. I was not aware of the miner's delight etc still generating. The "flaming inferno(?)" Biome has giant holes in the landscape. I assume those features are dependant to specific biomes. I think if features such as those were incorporated into the generation without adding new biomes it would be cool.
Why are you stil assuming I don't understand you? To summerise it does exactly what you want to a lesser extent. Have a look at a BoP extreme hills biome, you'll see some of those changes you're looking for.

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
Why are you stil assuming I don't understand you? To summerise it does exactly what you want to a lesser extent. Have a look at a BoP extreme hills biome, you'll see some of those changes you're looking for.
Whether you understand what I am talking about or not is a non-issue. I simply want to voice my opinion. I think I have a pretty good idea of what you are saying as well.

You are arguing that if you turned off all of the biomes in the config and then generated a BoP world it would give exactly the effect I am looking for (to a lesser extent). I am arguing that it wouldn't.

It would have moss, extra grass and flowers and slightly different terrain generation.

There would be no bamboo, no special trees, no giant craters in the earth, no bones coming off of the roof of the nether. These features are the ones I am mainly, not exclusivly, interested in and if they could be integrated into a minecraft world without all the biomes that normally come along with them I think it would be cool. (In a way similar to how Natura does it)

For example: a few BoP pine trees sprinkled into a taiga biome instead of a dedicated pine forest biome.

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
My current style is to use BoP and then disable a few biomes I don't care for.

In 1.7, I imagine that I'll probably flip that around - I'll disable the majority of the biomes BoP adds, and turn on just a few that I either really like or that are different enough from the rest that they're not redundant feeling. I mean, I like a fores as much as the next guy, but having like 20 different versions is a bit much unless we're talking about vastly different trees/terrain.

Also, I really like the idea of ATG, but found a great deal of weird sand structures and oddly shaped mountains with crazy overhangs so I stopped using it. Rolling hills are nice until they're pock-marked with weirdness.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Defenitly! The introduction of climates has realy ruined the biome placement IMO. While the idea is nice, finding a hot or cold climate is quite hard now. Especially if you want both or the special biomes contained withing each climate. To top that all off, the boring forest spam makes for the most terrible worlds ever. Especially because vanilla forest biomes are almost identical (Its a complete joke compared to BoP). The world(block/hight/mountain) generation changes are good though :)