Applied Energistics

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
more like 50+%...I thought a DSU could hold 2M items?

I went with the DSU route for storage capabilities in excess of AE's ability ... and for looks as I have a storage monitor paired with every DSU [so I still have my stroage room look]. By my maths, a max-sized AE cell holds roughly in excess of 500k items or 1/4 of a DSU's capability. I didn't know of the increase in server load tho but increased power consumption to me is irrelevant, as I've got 576 MJ/t dedicated to my AE network.

As far as what's missing for me in 1.6 right now...Routers are at the top of the list. In my current build, I have used routers far, far more than in any other build and it's allowed me to keep my AE cabling under restraint with items passing back/forth through tesseracts. In addition, routers have allowed me to round-robin external crafting. The only downside is it adds some time to the crafting. I haven't seen a 1.6 FTB pack released yet that includes Factorization. And, as I understand it, router usage is changing dramatically in 1.6.

I believe it's 2 billion, not 2 million is the storage capacity

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Using discs instead of storage bus' also saves on power and presumably also on server/pc load.
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that very large disks and disk arrays are more power hungry than storing your millions of cobble in a Storage-Bus-attached DSU. I guess someone should set that up and see how much power the controller is drawing.
Also, there is the energy cost associated with your network importing the bulk items isn't there? I.e. If I pipe my quarry's cobble and dirt into DSUs (attached to network with storage buses), I incur no item move/store energy draw for those.

Is this something that has changed or is now so small it isn't a concern?

and, DERAIL :D

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that very large disks and disk arrays are more power hungry than storing your millions of cobble in a Storage-Bus-attached DSU. I guess someone should set that up and see how much power the controller is drawing.
Also, there is the energy cost associated with your network importing the bulk items isn't there? I.e. If I pipe my quarry's cobble and dirt into DSUs (attached to network with storage buses), I incur no item move/store energy draw for those.

Is this something that has changed or is now so small it isn't a concern?

and, DERAIL :D
Hmm don't know for sure actually. A disc doesn't actually consume power afaik, its the drive/chest its mounted in that does. And at least back in 1.4 an entire drive of discs would draw less power than a storage bus. But might have changed since.
Yeah I believe a small amount of power is drawn when the ME system moves items, but I think its so small an amount that it is insignificant compared to the constant draw of a device.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Currently replacing all my DSUs with 4K disks housed in ME Chests. So wish I had thought of the overflow problem sooner. But at least I've finally got asst stuffs going to my recyclers and my condenser.

budge

Jul 29, 2019
My favorite sorting system right now is the RS485 builds of Logistics Pipes. I've got a setup currently where every storage unit (chest or barrel) has a polymorphic item sink (items of the same type in the chest are routed to the chest), provider module, and a quick sync module (if items in chest have a higher priority place that they could be, extract them and send them there). And I have one chest just set as default route for unassigned items. What this means is that my default chest acts as a miscellaneous storage, but if I take for example a piece of cobblestone out of the default chest and place it in a barrel, now the network recognizes the barrel as a higher priority position for all cobblestone in the network, and moves it automatically. Additionally, overflow is handled by a terminus module. If a barrel is full, items heading to it are redirected to a trash can. It's really fun to watch.

The problem, though, is that Log. Pipes crafting is bulkier, slower, and fails more often. AE and Logistics Pipes can use each other's storage, but LP cannot use AE's crafting. If it could, I'd be so happy.

Sorry for the tangent. :)

Reactions: jokermatt999

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Currently replacing all my DSUs with 4K disks housed in ME Chests. So wish I had thought of the overflow problem sooner. But at least I've finally got asst stuffs going to my recyclers and my condenser.
You could leave it in the DSUs. The storage bus' have priority as well. Its in the same little Ui tab as in the drive/chests.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
You could leave it in the DSUs. The storage bus' have priority as well. Its in the same little Ui tab as in the drive/chests.

Yeah, I know...but it gives me something to do and I never really liked the look of the DSUs anyway. Plus, limiting my stockpiles to 32K per item ensures my recyclers/condenser are almost always making scrap/generating energy.

Good a place as any to ask this I suppose...I just noticed something odd after updating to 1.1.7. Import bus affixed to top of Thermionic Fab is sucking out everything [sand/recipe items/etc.] Same goes if it's affixed to the bottom. And I still can't get a router to extract the finished goods from this damned machine. Interface below and pointing up inserts craft items into the ThermoFab's internal inventory but also will not extract finished goods. I'll try putting the import on a side, but I'm going to have to redesign/rebuild my setup to do so.

Any ideas on why this happens/how to fix?

edit: tried the import on a visible side and it's still trying to import everything.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I know...but it gives me something to do and I never really liked the look of the DSUs anyway. Plus, limiting my stockpiles to 32K per item ensures my recyclers/condenser are almost always making scrap/generating energy.

Good a place as any to ask this I suppose...I just noticed something odd after updating to 1.1.7. Import bus affixed to top of Thermionic Fab is sucking out everything [sand/recipe items/etc.] Same goes if it's affixed to the bottom. And I still can't get a router to extract the finished goods from this damned machine. Interface below and pointing up inserts craft items into the ThermoFab's internal inventory but also will not extract finished goods. I'll try putting the import on a side, but I'm going to have to redesign/rebuild my setup to do so.

Any ideas on why this happens/how to fix?

edit: tried the import on a visible side and it's still trying to import everything.
Perhaps change it out for a precision import bus set to only extract the output?

Reactions: SmokeLuvr1971

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps change it out for a precision import bus set to only extract the output?

ahh...actually make use of the slots in the inventory bus...brilliant! yeah, I feel kinda stoopid after reading that, but not too much since I never had to tell the importer how to do its job before. Thanks tho :)

Haha...precision import bus set to extract tubes no work either :( I guess ThermoFab auto-crafting is broken [via AE] in 1.1.7? I'll see if I can get something working via BC pipes [ewww].

edit: Gated wooden pipes on top of the ThermoFab will pull out only tubes. Only plus-side is I didn't have to drastically alter my ThermoFab autocraft design's visible footprint. Only question I have left at this point...does this example of AE's reduced cross-mod interoperability extend to the 1.6 MC version as well?

Last edited:

DyinAngel

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question, if anyone can answer it I will be grateful. Are any of you having issues with ME Crafting Terminal not auto refilling your crafting recipe? For some reason in the overload pack from the ATLauncher it shows the crafting recipe shaded and no items in there even if I have the required items.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question, if anyone can answer it I will be grateful. Are any of you having issues with ME Crafting Terminal not auto refilling your crafting recipe? For some reason in the overload pack from the ATLauncher it shows the crafting recipe shaded and no items in there even if I have the required items.
It sounds like a known bug, All in all, I've found I'll just wrench the crafting terminal, put it back, and that causes the system to do a reset; request the items again, and it just works

I'll not be releasing a final stable version of rv14, because of some annoying crafting related issues that have come to my attention that did not exist in rv13, and I was unable to find them in a reasonable timeframe. If you are interested in playing with the new features and are ok with smacking the network to reboot it every so often, the build can be found http://ae-mod.info/dev/
Obtained from http://ae-mod.info/Announcement/

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
I, too, miss the look of the "chest room" or "barrel room" setup where your stuff is more tangible.

I had the same feeling as well, so I came up with a work around. I now have the contents of my AE network displayed on several monitors in my control room... Not quite the same as a room full of barrels, but its slightly more tangible than everything hidden away in the terminal. I do however, need to do something to fix it pulling back 'code names' for certain items...

It sounds like a known bug, All in all, I've found I'll just wrench the crafting terminal, put it back, and that causes the system to do a reset; request the items again, and it just works

I have my terminal connected by dark cable just under it, so all I have to do is flip the switch off and on again to reset, saves on wrenching and replacing every time. :)

DyinAngel

Jul 29, 2019
I like this... I like this a lot

I'm about to implement it lol

Result:
Even with removing with a wrench or using dark cable it seems to still have the same issue.

I'm running version rv13.c though.

Edit:
Got it to work :D

Last edited:

captainjack85

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think any of us would know how to function anymore without this mod. Since we first discovered AE back in April of this year we've utilized its many features in nearly all of our creations; and upon dissecting the mod in its entirety we released a tutorial series on it as fast as we could. This is literally one of the most powerful, versatile mods out there and the things you can do with it are absolutely amazing.

Since we first recorded the tutorials there were a lot of changes made to the mod which we also covered in a recently released (modified FTB unleashed) Episode 5 of the series.

Check out episode 1 here if you're interested :)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
There are several mods that do a lot of what AE does, but none replace it entirely or as efficiently.

Lately, I like going for as long as I can without AE, but when staring at a 3x3 crafting grid has long lost its "fun" appeal, when I start spamming Ender Chests and itemducts to automate production, or when I have an entire room of barrels and chests with site-specific containers scattered throughout my main and remote base(s) and I find myself running around all the time, I switch to AE.

The high Certus cost is also a barrier to fully converting from chests and barrels to AE.

Reactions: jokermatt999

captainjack85

Jul 29, 2019
I've found that Bee breeding is a great way to get around the Certus & nether quartz costs...among many other things. Usually I'm so unorganized that AE is the only thing that ever give my setup order so I can maintain my sanity, which is why I cant live without it now.