Applied Energistics

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
There are several mods that do a lot of what AE does, but none replace it entirely or as efficiently.

Lately, I like going for as long as I can without AE, but when staring at a 3x3 crafting grid has long lost its "fun" appeal, when I start spamming Ender Chests and itemducts to automate production, or when I have an entire room of barrels and chests with site-specific containers scattered throughout my main and remote base(s) and I find myself running around all the time, I switch to AE.

The high Certus cost is also a barrier to fully converting from chests and barrels to AE.
Generally, if it is in a barrel, I slap a Storage Bus on said barrel. It's just cheaper in the long run than trying to suck everything in on disk, and a LOT less hassle.

Reactions: PierceSG

Drewby2000

Jul 29, 2019
I was looking through all the pages and my one question is still remaining: can I use and AE system to monitor the amount of liquid in a railcraft iron tank. (Hoping to have it turn off my tree farm when the sludge is full.) :)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
With the ExtraCells AE add-on mod, yes. It has fluid emitters, which can be set to any level/amount. You can thus have it turn off your farm just before it’s full.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Buildcraft gates can do the same thing, use a piece of structure pipe and it can pick up the amount in the tank, and emit a redstone signal.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Buildcraft gates can do the same thing, use a piece of structure pipe and it can pick up the amount in the tank, and emit a redstone signal.

The other advantage to this it this will not use any power unlike the AE solution. Unless you just make stupid amounts of renewable energy, then go to town.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I was looking through all the pages and my one question is still remaining: can I use and AE system to monitor the amount of liquid in a railcraft iron tank. (Hoping to have it turn off my tree farm when the sludge is full.) :)
You should try Nuclear control. Make a Liquid sensor kit and apply that to the Iron tank. Then make a Range Trigger and place that near your tree farm and put the Liquid Sensor Card into it, set the proper limits, install the necessary range upgrades, and voila wireless fluid control.
You can make another Sensor kit and apply it and add that to a information panel if you want to monitor it wireless as well at the same time.

Reactions: kaovalin

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
You should try Nuclear control. Make a Liquid sensor kit and apply that to the Iron tank. Then make a Range Trigger and place that near your tree farm and put the Liquid Sensor Card into it, set the proper limits, install the necessary range upgrades, and voila wireless fluid control.
You can make another Sensor kit and apply it and add that to a information panel if you want to monitor it wireless as well at the same time.
Oooo that sounds cool, going to look into that myself for Big Reactors control.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Oooo that sounds cool, going to look into that myself for Big Reactors control.
Just be aware of that there might be an issue with Sensor kits and Steel tanks not working(probably just because steel tanks were new) in Unleashed. Hope it has been fixed in the 1.6 versions. But it should work fine with Iron tanks.

Drewby2000

Jul 29, 2019
OK... Map got corrupted(back up failed...)
So I am starting a new world with (Direwolf20 1.6.4), current set up:
1) Home(Dirt and stone shack)
2) Quarts grind stone+ bronze tcon pickaxe
(3) going on 1 hour of mining)
4) thinking of building a basic AE system to hold stuff(mfr tree farm for power)
Any recommendations on what to insert after AE system or other power option that would be better?

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I can not get these to read any tank at any level
image.jpg

Reactions: Padfoote

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, What Adonis0 said.

To 'read' the amount of fluid you have on a tank, you need to use an ME Fluid Storage Bus on your tank. The emitter is simply a configurable redstone emitter that, when hooked up to your AE network, can be configured with logic based upon how much of a certain fluid you have, with said fluid being detected (known) by a Fluid Storage Bus.

Pilkie

Jul 29, 2019
I play on a Monster Multi-Player server and have just put the final pieces on what I would consider my completed Applied Energistics storage system. If I had to rate the mod, I would give it a 9/10.

Applied Energistics, to me, is a must have for late game FTB. Why? Simply because it is one of the most important steps to optimizing your time in late game FTB.

Lets start with the crafting. Applied Energistics offers two important machines that speed up crafting. The first is one of the most basic machines, the ME crafting terminal. The terminal itself is your basic 3x3 crafting grid with a twist. While crafting, you can have access to all the items in the AE system. You don't need to find out how many items you need for a recipe or run back and forth between chests to get what you need, if it's in the system you can use it. The ME Crafting Terminal ISN'T a late game item. In fact, I would consider it part of the mid-game. It is cheap and can save you hours of time you would have normally spent crafting. The next important addition AE adds to speed up the time it takes to craft items is the Molecular Assembly Chamber. Let me just take a moment and catch my breath, because this is going to be important.

The Molecular Assembly Chamber is, to me at least, the single most important item in keeping up with crafting, item supply and item management in late-game FTB. The Molecular Assembly Chamber is a multi-block structure capable of making practically every recipe in any FTB pack. To add an auto-crafting recipe all you have to do is teach it how to make your item through a blank pattern and place it in the assembler. If you have to cook something for the recipe, you can teach it to do that by placing an ME interface on any furnace you can insert items into via pipes/item ducts/etc. Do you need to compress something? Put an ME interface on a compressor. Need to fill redstone conduits with molten redstone? Set up your ME interface to melt down the redstone for you and put it in the conduits with te3. The auto-crafting possibilities with AE are endless. There is a way to automatically craft just about every single item. And when you want that item crafted, it's as simple as as telling your assembler to make the item through any terminal or wireless terminal, putting in a number for how many you need made and waiting for it to make them. The Molecular Assembly chamber has saved my friends and I hundreds of man-hours of work in crafting large amounts of items we need to continue advancing our technology and staying on top of things.

The molecular assembler is also responsible for keeping the base running with minimum human intervention. The assembler makes fertilizer for auto-farms and automatically restocks them. It makes bog-earth for peat farms and makes sure that the farm never runs dry. The system stores, organizes and is configured to automatically refine all the ores we mine. We don't even need to be at the base to refine and store our ores, we just hook the AE system up with an Import bus to an ender chest, put down a chunk loader and let the AE system do the dirty work while we stay out mining. At the same time the system is also keeping the quarry in check, efficiently and effectively making sure items go where they need to when we want them to.

The only downside to AE that keeps me from giving it a solid 10/10 is that any items with damage values tend to clog up the system, so it becomes a pain to store damaged tools into the system without clogging it up and taking up an entire type slot on a storage disc.

TL;DR: Very good, 9/10. AE is the superior late-game storage and sorting option and is a must have for time-efficient bases.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
The only downside to AE that keeps me from giving it a solid 10/10 is that any items with damage values tend to clog up the system, so it becomes a pain to store damaged tools into the system without clogging it up and taking up an entire type slot on a storage disc.
you can just export items with damage values to chest and keep em there.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
you can just export items with damage values to chest and keep em there.
Yeah, the different Fuzzy devices are excellent for handling damaged items. Really don't see the problem. Lot of people seem to store them in filing cabinets. I just destroy anything that is damaged(well obviously not something that I am using, but crappy armour and weapons from mobfarms etc) and save anything that is still "pristine".

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the different Fuzzy devices are excellent for handling damaged items. Really don't see the problem. Lot of people seem to store them in filing cabinets. I just destroy anything that is damaged(well obviously not something that I am using, but crappy armour and weapons from mobfarms etc) and save anything that is still "pristine".
This is where the force rods from dartcraft shine.