Applied Energistics Or Logistics Pipes?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

AE or LP

• Total voters

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
The whole problem I find with LP is the same one I find with both turtles and SFM: it's overkill. I don't need that kind of power at my disposal, and as long as LP is reliant on BC pipes (I hear it's getting some kind of Itemduct support though) it is laggier, slower and has slightly less cross-mod support. So far I have found no practical task that LP can do and AE+another core mod can't. Hell, with just AE, TC4 and either Mek or TE3 you can fully automate infusion crafting.
You can automate infusion crafting with just TC4

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
ChickenBones' Translocator mod can be used to keep an inventory stocked with a specific amount of items in it.

And to be fair, you can't compare the 2 of them side by side.

One is a full mod while the other is still dependant on another mod.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Sidorion

Jul 29, 2019
LP is dependent, but only in a way that you need BC installed. All functionality is in LP, it needs no support in game. Actually you don't even need the BC pipes except for crafting. Yor net will be ridiculoulsy expensive if you use only basic logistic pipes, but would work as intended.
BTW: There is a config option to route through TE ducts in the newest version which reduces CPU load.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
ChickenBones' Translocator mod can be used to keep an inventory stocked with a specific amount of items in it.

And to be fair, you can't compare the 2 of them side by side.

One is a full mod while the other is still dependant on another mod.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Actually AE is also dependent on other mods. It doesn't work without power and it generates none of it's own. On the other hand Logistics Pipes is contemplating adding their own pipes and know are compatible with itemducts.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Actually AE is also dependent on other mods. It doesn't work without power and it generates none of it's own. On the other hand Logistics Pipes is contemplating adding their own pipes and know are compatible with itemducts.
So... LP can be independent while AE is not?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Unless LP was changed again since I last used it, it needed power to do it's stuff, putting it in a slightly more dependent on other mods boat then AE.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
AE is soo much better but its gunna suck in 1.7:(
Meh, I disagree. It's adding many features and finally doing the balancing that everybody has been begging for forever. Also, being able to generate power within the mod itself makes needing another mod to provide power no longer needed. :)

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, I disagree. It's adding many features and finally doing the balancing that everybody has been begging for forever. Also, being able to generate power within the mod itself makes needing another mod to provide power no longer needed. :)
Balancing? I haven't heard more than 5 people say it was OP in all my time since the 1.4 release. It also really didn't add a whole lot; see my thread for the full list.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Balancing? I haven't heard more than 5 people say it was OP in all my time since the 1.4 release. It also really didn't add a whole lot; see my thread for the full list.
I've seen tons of people complain about it in youtube comments. :p

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I started with Logistics pipes and then moved onto AE.

Logistics pipes is very powerful for sorting your inventory, combined with ender chests/pouches you can litterally go caving and never need to go back to your base to unload ore or request new picks/food/torches etc.

Autocrafting is very powerful, especially with satellite pipes, sneaky pipes and so forth. However a large autocrafting farm with logistics pipes will require a LOT of machines. For example if you want to have two things auto crafted in a furnace, you will need two furnaces connected to two separate crafting pipes. The ME Interface of AE though, can use one machine to craft nearly a dozen separate recipes.

In short, Logistics pipes is easier to get into as it doesn't require Nether Quartz, is extremely capable at sorting inventories and can also do a vast amount of auto crafting. However will take up a LOT of room.

AE requires trips to the Nether for Nether quartz, certes quarts/dust is also somewhat rare, but AE can significantly reduce the footprint of your base and.. works very well with Logistics pipes, so youcan start out with LP and introduce AE gradually and run a combination.

My farms are still using logistics pipes, but my inventory is all managed by AE, they work together extremely well!

Reactions: casilleroatr

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I started with Logistics pipes and then moved onto AE.

Logistics pipes is very powerful for sorting your inventory, combined with ender chests/pouches you can litterally go caving and never need to go back to your base to unload ore or request new picks/food/torches etc.

Autocrafting is very powerful, especially with satellite pipes, sneaky pipes and so forth. However a large autocrafting farm with logistics pipes will require a LOT of machines. For example if you want to have two things auto crafted in a furnace, you will need two furnaces connected to two separate crafting pipes. The ME Interface of AE though, can use one machine to craft nearly a dozen separate recipes.

In short, Logistics pipes is easier to get into as it doesn't require Nether Quartz, is extremely capable at sorting inventories and can also do a vast amount of auto crafting. However will take up a LOT of room.

AE requires trips to the Nether for Nether quartz, certes quarts/dust is also somewhat rare, but AE can significantly reduce the footprint of your base and.. works very well with Logistics pipes, so youcan start out with LP and introduce AE gradually and run a combination.

My farms are still using logistics pipes, but my inventory is all managed by AE, they work together extremely well!
I like to add AE first and then slowly add LP throughout my base. My AE systems are usually very low impact and tend to be situated in only one room in my base which I affectionately call the AE core. Occasionally I will extend my AE system with a few crafting terminals in practical places but I like to do most of my automation with LP (although AE autocrafting is helpful for the reasons you point out too and I use that). The flexibility of the two systems together is really good I think.

Bevo

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for the Off Topic here, but your thread, review and list were very inaccurate, and obviously not based on actually playing or knowing even the slightest about AE2. It was based off one part of a three part spotlight. As an example your "Irredeemably Godawful" was based off purely false information in which you stated you get circuits from world gen rather than craft them. Which is not true, you get the press from world gen (of which is very common and in minecraft infinite) and the press can make as many circuits as you want. No durability. Regarding it not adding anything, again, you clearly haven't played it yet. It already adds a ton of new stuff and many features aren't even in yet (it is alpha and autocrafting hasn't even been put back in yet! lol) It really saddens me that people like you don't realize how insulting it is to Algo (and why he wants to nuke AE) when people post wildly inaccurate reviews of a mod he spent 5 months making having not played it at all and only seen a small part of a spotlight.

Last edited: