Applied Energistics and Boilers

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
has. it has an inventory.

You're arguing semantics. From a mod's standpoint it is an inventory. AE doesn't know what it's connecting to. To an ME exporter a chest or a solid boiler is basically the same thing.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
You're kidding!

*looks at golem/pipe setup, slinks away*

If it will make you feel any better I didn't know until a few hours ago that ME Chests only need power. My current world has an ME Controller with nothing hooked up to it because I thought chests needed a Controller. :)

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
If it will make you feel any better I didn't know until a few hours ago that ME Chests only need power. My current world has an ME Controller with nothing hooked up to it because I thought chests needed a Controller. :)

It would make me feel better, except I've also cluelessly hooked up an ME chest to a controller with nothing else attached, having labored under the same misunderstanding as you did. Well, good thing that overengineering is not a cardinal sin.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
It would make me feel better, except I've also cluelessly hooked up an ME chest to a controller with nothing else attached, having labored under the same misunderstanding as you did. Well, good thing that overengineering is not a cardinal sin.
I was excited when I found this out, and I removed my controller from my tree farm (Steve's Carts) to save energy. Then my import/export buses quit working and I was no longer pulling logs from the cargo manager and no longer turning logs into charcoal.
Soooo, back in with the Controller :D
Early in your AE network creating it is nice to not have that added energy expense though.

MrBear09

Jul 29, 2019
New to the forums but had to come and post about my AE boiler setup. I used to have my tree farm outputting into buildcraft pipes and then the logs into a filter sent through pneumatic tubes to sawmills, with buildcraft pipes to a quantum chest, and a filter from that chest pumping pneumatic tubes to fill the boilers but it ended up causing lag, so I eventually switched it to filter > tesseract > tesseract at each boiler and that worked well for a while.

My current setup though I think is pretty beast, 20 36HP all fed by Applied Energestics export cables, and everything works great.

to stop my stevecarts from randomly stopping without fuel (as ive done my below ground so no solar) I have my ae pump charcoal that's being made from the sawdust created by the sawmills, into a chest, that's got a filter and a timer attached to send stacks of coal to 5 cargo managers on one end of my farm, on the other end of the farm there are 5 more cargo managers for outputting.

Over time ive built up 3million planks, 1mill logs, and around 500k charcoal (gave some away though)

I'm sure eventually my plank production might slow down powering 20 boilers, but at that time ill add biofuel production to power the ones that cant self sustain on the treefarm.

I have never run out of power for over a month with my old setup and i expect the same for my current one.

--almost forgot, to turn the steam into power I have each boiler pumping its steam into a liquid tesseract, and I have an area, with opposite tesseracts pumping the steam into Steam Consumers, Energy bridges attatched to those, and either HV or BC producers depending what I want to power.

Boiler Room
uvpLQ59.png

Automating Wood
dFhj13c.png

ME system secured by warded block
69fCj24.jpg

Power Conversion
m0BYVEH.jpg

Reactions: YX33A

MRHeavyMetal_SIR

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to freshen up on how boilers work a little bit ;)

As LastElf stated above (but I'll expand on), a feature that's been Railcraft for quite some time is the fact that soild fuel boilers will restock themselves from adujacent inventories. That means, your buffer chest with redpower timer might as well be sitting right next to the boiler with no redpower stuff at all.

You know what else can sit right next to the boiler? A ME interface. Tell it to keep 1 charcoal exported, and the boiler will see the chaorcoal and grab it.

Then, make sure your ME network knows a crafting pattern for 1 charcoal.

What will happen is that the ME interface will try to export 1 charcoal, but fails because there is none available. This triggers an autocraft request for 1 charcoal, using the pattern provided (for example, it could insert 1 log into a furnace). The system waits until the furnace is done processing, imports the charcoal back into the network and uses it to fulfill the ME interface's request for 1 charcoal. Voila, the interface now has 1 charcoal exported... which the boiler immediately steals for itself. The ME interface will be left without charcoal again, and it will go trigger another autocrafting request.

This will repeat until the boiler's four internal slots are all filled with 64 charcoal each. Then, it will no longer take the charcoal out of the ME interface, which is thereby satisfied and stops requesting more charcoal to be crafted. Until, of course, the boiler finishes consuming another unit and restocks itself.

i tried using the interface and it didnt work ( im using unleashed 1.1.3)

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Just export into an ender chest. Then you only need to make 1 chest per 2 boilers. The AE system will keep it stocked with charcoal. What I do is designate one furnace to always cook wood. Then export it into the ender chest. Once TE fixes the saw mill I will go back to using planks.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
All I did was stick an export bus onto the fuelbox, set it to charcoal...and wala...it worked....nothing else needed

(I also use boilers to power my entire system...I like the feeling of having everything in one place...my charcoal system also produces about 4x more than I actually need to run the boilers, and I have 3 backup power supplies ready to be used when needed...so disaster's would have to be really, really bad to turn my power off)

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
All I did was stick an export bus onto the fuelbox, set it to charcoal...and wala...it worked....nothing else needed

(I also use boilers to power my entire system...I like the feeling of having everything in one place...my charcoal system also produces about 4x more than I actually need to run the boilers, and I have 3 backup power supplies ready to be used when needed...so disaster's would have to be really, really bad to turn my power off)

I use an export bus also, people in the beginning of this thread said it didnt work, but it has worked flawlessly for me for about a week now.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
What I am doing (I don't claim to have come up with this) is have my coal coke in a DSU and then feed it into a boiler using translocators. the DSU is then attached via storage bus to my AE network :)

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Can't you just put the DSU right next to the boiler and set the output side to the side the boiler is?

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Can't you just put the DSU right next to the boiler and set the output side to the side the boiler is?
That doesn't work in Unleashed 112 or 113 from my testing. I ended up putting my DSU full of charcoal on top of a Hopper that is attached to the boiler's firebox, then set the output of the DSU to "down" and you're good.