Applied Energistics and Batbox help

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Heya,

I've never really gotten into the AE and EU stuff that much yet.

I'm trying to set up a very basic ME Network on a new world for the first time. I don't want to waste my limited power with the Network being always on, so I want to put in a switch that will turn the ME Controller off when flipped.

Right now I have GeoTherm Gen > BatBox > ME Controller. Can the BatBox or ME Controller be shut off somehow with a redstone signal? What's the simplest way to go about this?

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if you can *shut off* a Batbox or an ME Controller, but there's a cable called an EU Splitter Cable which, when it receives a Redstone signal, doesn't allow EU to flow through it. Just put one between your ME Controller and your Batbox.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
There is no way to stop the output of a BatBox, I am pretty sure. I need to test this. You might be able to do it with an MFSU.

silenos

Jul 29, 2019
easiest way would be to put a lever on the batbox and change its redstone behaviour to "Do not output energy"

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Until you get an extensive system set up, AE doesn't draw that much power. 1 or 2 MJ, or 5 ish EU a tick will run a small AE setup just fine. 8 solar panels tied to a batbox will run an AE system just fine for a long time. Once your system has outgrown that, you should have a more extensive, automated, power system set up anyway. If you want to go the MJ route, grab a couple of steam engines and a redstone energy cell. Make charcoal, a stack of which should run the AE system just fine for hours on end.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Another option to change power flow on EU networks is to use a transformer. Redstone inverts their flow, which usually means no power flows unless you have your generators in with your machines....

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Until you get an extensive system set up, AE doesn't draw that much power. 1 or 2 MJ, or 5 ish EU a tick will run a small AE setup just fine. 8 solar panels tied to a batbox will run an AE system just fine for a long time. Once your system has outgrown that, you should have a more extensive, automated, power system set up anyway. If you want to go the MJ route, grab a couple of steam engines and a redstone energy cell. Make charcoal, a stack of which should run the AE system just fine for hours on end.

That would be great other than the fact that I don't use solar panels (free energy just feels like cheating). Thank you for the suggestion though!

@everyone else, thank you as well. Connecting a switch to the batbox worked well. I had already tried it before which is why I even posted here...guess I put the switch in the wrong spot the first time.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
That would be great other than the fact that I don't use solar panels (free energy just feels like cheating). Thank you for the suggestion though!

@everyone else, thank you as well. Connecting a switch to the batbox worked well. I had already tried it before which is why I even posted here...guess I put the switch in the wrong spot the first time.
May not be in the wrong spot. On the batbox interface, there is a little redstone icon (top right, I think). Clicking that will cycle through the different modes (summaries being outputted to the chat bar).

Reactions: Staxed

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
May not be in the wrong spot. On the batbox interface, there is a little redstone icon (top right, I think). Clicking that will cycle through the different modes (summaries being outputted to the chat bar).

yup, that was the problem. Thanks!

wolvyn

Jul 29, 2019
You could simple add a single piece of ic2 power cable (like the carbon fiber cable if you can afford it, if not a gold x2 insulated will handle the flow out of the mfe and copper will handle a batbox out without exploding. simply move the cable one block away when you dont need the power to flow into the ME system. thats what we did till we got the second hp biofuled boiler up, we basically dedicated that boiler to the me system, we have 8 drives, but only one has anything in it so far, only 6 of the 10 are red yet).. just planed ahead as we are running a pair or trio of quarry's constantly.