applied energistics 2 ME storage??

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
R

RadicalSilver

Hey there, so im playing on a server with my friend, our personal server, and we are in a stage we are super rich and got insane amounts of items while still using chests... I wanna make the me storage system cuz it uses like no space, and i think (not sure) we can use it from wherever we want with sort of a remote. But we will only start the ME storage if we know its infinite. Is it just 8 x 64k storage? Or can we make it infinite big? Cuz we probably need millions of slots..
Have a great day :)

AirOnSkin

Feb 22, 2018
Everything is finite. But you can't compare chests to an AE2 ME system when it comes to storage space.
Not sure what "super rich" means for you, but depending on the pack and the stage of your play through you're in having 1million diamonds (or some other kind of expensive block) is not that hard to achieve.

Anyway, I can only recommend building an ME system. It's one of the first things I try to achieve in a new pack. If there's "Extra Cells 2" in your pack, the biggest storage cells are 16M (instead of 64k).
One side of an ME controller can provide a bus for 32 systems. That means it could provide a bus for 32 ME drives with 10 16M storage cells each. Thats: 16 * 1024 * 1024 * 10 * 32 = 5'368'709'120 items per side of an ME controller.
The ME controller is a multi block itself, which means you can have hundreds of sides.

Does this convince you?

Cheers :)

R

RadicalSilver

Uhm, well thats some new information for me haha, thanks! Altough direwolf20 1.12 seems not to have this modpack... Is it still the case of being able to have more then just 8 times 64k storage? (sry if sounds stupid but im not that known with ME storage)

AirOnSkin

Feb 22, 2018
Well, a drive can hold 10 storage cells, not just 8. And you can still connect the same amount of drives to one side of an ME controller. The only thing that changes in my multiplication above is the size of the storage cell. It's now:
64 * 1024 * 10 * 32 = 20'971'520 (that's still millions of items per side of an ME controller).

As I said, I can only recommend it. There is no comparison to the ease of use and storage capability of an AE2 ME system compared to chests (however well organized they may be).

R

RadicalSilver

Oh cool, so how does that work in the setup? The controller thing in the middle, and then the 'drive' with the 10 discs connected with cables or just put next to eachother next to the controller?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The other thing you can do is use the Storage Bus to be able to read something like a Black Hole Storage to store something like two billion plus of a single item. And, if I recall correctly, the version in Industrial Foregoing has a Black Hole Controller which can store nine such devices, which can then be set up for a Storage Bus to access all nine of them. You can use a Super Soaryn Drive system to iterate subordinate networks to have rows of them all accessible from the ME system.

AE2 isn't necessarily about storage so much as sorting and access.

AirOnSkin

Feb 22, 2018
The basics didn't change that much from previous versions. I can give you some basic hints:

- You'll need Certus Quartz (go mine it). You'll need it in it's broken down form (Certus Quartz Crystals), the dust (Certus Quartz Dust) and the charged version (Charged Certus Quartz Crystal).
- You can find charged Certus Quartz (but it's rare) or you can charge it in a machine. Thermal Expansion has the Energetic Infuser that can do that job.
- You'll need Fluix Crystals. You create them by throwing Charged Certus Quartz, Redstone & Nether Quartz in a pool of water.
- You'll need to power your ME system: Connect some kind of power cable to an Energy Acceptor
- You'll need presses, which you can find inside of meteors

For your first ME system:
- Craft the Energy Acceptor, place it somewhere and connect power to it
- Craft an ME Controller and place it next to the Energy Acceptor (if it starts glowing in all sorts of colors, it has power)
- Craft an ME Drive and place it next to the ME Controller
- Craft a Storage Cell and place it inside the ME Drive (you'll need to craft an Inscriber and use the presses to craft the processors)
- Craft an ME Glass Cable and place it above the drive (or the Controller)
- Craft an ME Terminal and place it on the Cable.

Voilà, you have a basic ME system.
There's much much more to AE2 than just what I described above. Auto crafting is one of the things I try to get going as soon as possible after I have my Drive with a few storage cells.
Then there's liquid storage (which I love), the whole bus system (with P2P tunnels) and quite a few things more.

You'll need to learn bit by bit about AE2 and what it can do. The wiki helps, too: http://ae-mod.info/

Good luck.