Any good free games?

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
Dwarf Fortress.
Persevere, get used to the UI and the keyboard shortcuts and prepare to sacrifice many hours. Assuming you like sandbox strategy games.
Personally I grab the Lazy Newb Pack for the graphical overhauls. I find it easier than the ASCII format.

Bughunter

Jul 29, 2019
Dwarf Fortress.
Persevere, get used to the UI and the keyboard shortcuts and prepare to sacrifice many hours. Assuming you like sandbox strategy games.
Personally I grab the Lazy Newb Pack for the graphical overhauls. I find it easier than the ASCII format.
:D, you must get my profile picture then! Dwarf fortress for the WIN! :D
lo.jpg

But, back on topic, Cataclysm DDA is a very good game. And I don't even mind the ASCII graphics. It is a Zombie survival game with a lot of stuff to do.. Although, I usually don't survive very long.

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, completely free. The Lazy Newb Pack is a fan-made utility that contains features that let you tailor the game's features to preference.
Like I said, I use it for the graphics, but you can do other tweaks on the gameplay itself. I'm not exaggerating though, it does take some work to get to grips with. Once you do though....

Oh, and Bughunter: the &s are coming! Flee for your lives!

Reactions: Bughunter

mightyjake

Jul 29, 2019
This may not count as a free game, but you can download a free demo of Kerbal Space Program which is packed full of things from the full game.

Reactions: aaninja64

Jul 29, 2019
There's also a bunch of F2P MMO games out there, if you're into that type of thing

Philo

Jul 29, 2019
Check out AssaultCube, a multiplayer FPS with bot support for single gameplay, or Vegastrike, a sci-fi space combat and trading sim.
Both games are open source, available for all platforms, and can be played as stable releases (2-3 years old) or in a current development version from their subversion repositories.

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
For ones I would reccomend...

King Arthur's Gold Classic - I was hooked on this for ages before the Beta release came out (You have to pay for the Beta, but Classic is free) - best 2D mix of Terraria and Team Fortress 2 I've ever seen!
Super Crate Box - A classic. The game is relatively simple: Collect crates while killing enemies, but it's so well-designed and addictive that you'll be hooked for ages. Try to beat my score of 160!
Quake LIVE - Online, free-to-play Quake 3 Arena. Need I say more? It's very well-made, and although there's a few "free restrictions", it doesn't stop it from being a pretty fun game to play.
Spelunky - A fun platformer with a roguelike twist. The levels are randomly generated, and EVERYTHING wants to kill you. If you die, it's right back to the top level! There's multiple endings too, and it's quite a fun challenge to try to get to the final level!
Oh and there's also TF2 but everyone knows about that.

haisho

Jul 29, 2019
Two words.
Cave Story.

Not to be confused with Cave Story+, which is an enhanced commercial re-release on Steam with additional content.

Reactions: Cirom

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
Two words.
Cave Story.

Not to be confused with Cave Story+, which is an enhanced commercial re-release on Steam with additional content.

Ah, I completely forgot about that one! Whoops.

Even though I have Cave Story+, I still play it with the original graphics and soundtrack, haha.

Dingham

Jul 29, 2019
Dwarf Fortress is certainly a great game but REALLY difficult to get into unless you know some that has played and is willing to talk you through it. But when you get it, OMG!

Starmade is a pretty cool game, is free during alpha.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
If you've downloaded Minecraft already, you can consider it free.

But you paid for it so not really.

So, have you tried...Temple Run??
OR TEMPLE RUN 2?!?!?!?!

DaveSW

Jul 29, 2019
Path of Exile is free to play. The only stuff you can purchase is purely for aesthetics. It is basically what Diablo 3 should have been.

Reactions: Redius