An idea to prevent Nether lava exploitation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You could use three redstone engines, which is all I ever use, and it's plenty. Or one magmatic engine. But I've heard better ideas than mine in this thread for possibilities of dealing with the problem.
Actually, this might actually be a good use for a Peat-Fired Engine. It only produces 1 MJ/t, so not *too* much for the pump, and has a long burn duration. Resupplying it might be tricky, though, you might need a dedicated item tesseract for it.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, this might actually be a good use for a Peat-Fired Engine. It only produces 1 MJ/t, so not *too* much for the pump, and has a long burn duration. Resupplying it might be tricky, though, you might need a dedicated item tesseract for it.
Output your peat to a barrel. use a clay golem to keep 1 stack of peat in an ender chest from the barrel. Use said ender chest with a clay golem to keep any peat-fired engines stocked. Attach the same ender chest to a filter pulling out ash, use a wood golem to transfer ash from the engine to the chest.

Pipes and tubes are cool, but nothing is as megomaniacally satisfying as watching your minions scurry around and keep your machines running.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Output your peat to a barrel. use a clay golem to keep 1 stack of peat in an ender chest from the barrel. Use said ender chest with a clay golem to keep any peat-fired engines stocked. Attach the same ender chest to a filter pulling out ash, use a wood golem to transfer ash from the engine to the chest.
Hmmm...

Clay Golem + EnderChest method works. However, just attach the same enderchest to a couple of iron pipes connected to a relay to send the ash to the enderchest. You could put basic gates on the pipes to supply a redstone signal constantly at the same time for space considerations. That way you don't need a golem to move the ash to the enderchest, it automatically goes there from the Relay. Then you've got a brainy golem on the other side pulling the ash out of the enderchest and putting it where it belongs in your sorting system.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
You could use three redstone engines, which is all I ever use, and it's plenty.

Or no engines. Pump, energy cell, liquiduct, xposer/tess is all that is necessary, leaving three sides of the pump available. All horribad ideas. I do not endorse cheesepumping the nether in any way shape or form :oops:

YRvnevF.png

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm...

Clay Golem + EnderChest method works. However, just attach the same enderchest to a couple of iron pipes connected to a relay to send the ash to the enderchest. You could put basic gates on the pipes to supply a redstone signal constantly at the same time for space considerations. That way you don't need a golem to move the ash to the enderchest, it automatically goes there from the Relay. Then you've got a brainy golem on the other side pulling the ash out of the enderchest and putting it where it belongs in your sorting system.

You could do the whole mess with pipes and gates. But then you're not using golems, so no minions scurrying, and no ebil laughter as you survey your domains.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
This is so making me want to try either the DW20 pack or techworld pack.

Got to love minions scurring. We need a minion mod.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I recommend we rename nether lava to "cheese".

Speaking of which, I just need a few more tank valves and walls to finish my new cheese tank.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
By the way, there have been people that have made mods to help fix the nether lag, though I don't know how well they work. Having said that, I would have to say it is the light updates that seem like they would cause more lag than the actual lava flowing, due to the horrible light mechanics in the game that still cause massive black spots and lava not being lit. Sure, the flowing blocks don't help either, but if it was just flowing blocks then pumping an ocean dry would also cause a ton of lag and I've yet to see that.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
At least pumping lava from the nether requires some effort- you have to move your pump every once in a while.

My reed farm -> biomass -> biofuel -> 36 HP boiler just runs and runs and runs forever without any effort on my part at all. I haven't even traveled back to my old main base to check on things in over 40 hours gameplay. No need to as long as my biofuel tank stays full.

That to me is more of an exploit.

Also the fact still remains that pumping lava from the nether for energy is not and never will be an exploit. Enderchests that allow you to move it free anywhere are the exploit, and the heart of most "exploits" in modded mc. Not that I'm advocating changing them, because they're a cool, fun mechanic. Just saying don't go on and on about something when you're blaming the wrong game mechanic.

Reactions: GreenWolf13

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
KL, is there a problem with relays then? Might explain why I get lag in my base. Haven't done that much yet really, but do have around 10 relays in a small area.

Evil H, I agree about biomass. I've just got a cart tree farm, and in a short time I'm overflowing with saplings, and not using up my biogas faster then I can use it, even with currently a quarry and around 15 TE machines setup. That's before I even think of having a boiler system.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Evil H, I agree about biomass. I've just got a cart tree farm, and in a short time I'm overflowing with saplings, and not using up my biogas faster then I can use it, even with currently a quarry and around 15 TE machines setup. That's before I even think of having a boiler system.

I actually like the fact I don't have to worry about it. Gives me more time to build cool stuff when I'm not having to run back and forth checking on things :D

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
At least pumping lava from the nether requires some effort- you have to move your pump every once in a while.

My reed farm -> biomass -> biofuel -> 36 HP boiler just runs and runs and runs forever without any effort on my part at all. I haven't even traveled back to my old main base to check on things in over 40 hours gameplay. No need to as long as my biofuel tank stays full.

How do you do this without constantly using fertilizer? You must have more infrastructure. I really need to up my game on this but I'm having trouble figuring out how people are handling these horrific startup costs and also providing apatite until the end of time...

Also the fact still remains that pumping lava from the nether for energy is not and never will be an exploit.

Can we rename the thread this? Server lag issues are not the player's fault, and if you're concerned about this as a server admin make a rule against it. The idea that it is somehow "unfair" or "overpowered" or "exploitative" in the game sense has not only been thoroughly discredited, but it was never well-supported to begin with. As near as I can tell, some people find it distasteful.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
I think somewhere back there <---- the OP clarified that he means exploit in the sense of "exploiting the resource", rather than breaking the rules to gain an advantage. Most reasonable people seem ok with that, and either fall into the "I like fire and forget power so I can build cool things" camp or the "I want a steeper resource gathering challenge" camp - both completely valid playstyles that serve different ideas of fun. They also cause poo-flinging in the sandbox when they collide.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Can we rename the thread this? Server lag issues are not the player's fault, and if you're concerned about this as a server admin make a rule against it. The idea that it is somehow "unfair" or "overpowered" or "exploitative" in the game sense has not only been thoroughly discredited, but it was never well-supported to begin with. As near as I can tell, some people find it distasteful.
Server lag issues are not the players' or the server admins' problem, it is the developers problem. In this case, the mod developers have created the mechanics that indirectly cause this server lag, even though they had nothing to do with the game engine mechanics that directly cause the lag. As this is a place that multiple mod developers can see what their players have to say, it's a good place to have a discussion about the lag caused by these mechanics and the alternatives that might solve this issue without removing gameplay options or rewriting base code.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
How do you do this without constantly using fertilizer? You must have more infrastructure. I really need to up my game on this but I'm having trouble figuring out how people are handling these horrific startup costs and also providing apatite until the end of time...
Who needs apatite for making biomass? Mulch and Compost work as well. Mulch is easier to automate, comes out of apples or a moistener. Compost is just one dirt surrounded by wheat, or surrounded by ash (for a return of 1 rather than 4). Both work perfectly fine for making biomass.

Toraxa

Jul 29, 2019
Just pressing "like" doesn't really adequately express how much I appreciate this sentiment.

Occasionally we see people post their large scale power plants here, but they seldom include a "why". I wish they would. It seems to me like aside from nonstop quarry output there just aren't that many uses for MJs except to produce more MJs outside of ore processing? This is in sharp contrast to EUs where the entire point of many of the tools is to convert material decay to power usage.

I guess maybe my problem is I am not familiar enough with Forestry yet. As a recent Tekkit expat, there are plenty of things I really don't know about with MJ usage.

I guess with things like the Soul Shards mod you get more uses for MJ, but still...[DOUBLEPOST=1359574545][/DOUBLEPOST]

Oh sure. Lead is necessary for hardened glass, which is necessary for empty conduit, which is necessary for redstone energy conduit. If you have power overproduction in a system based on standard redstone piping... you're gonna have a bad time. You could also just pipe the steam around directly, but until very recently this has been a pain (also facilitated by hardened glass-based products).

I am acutely sensitive to this right now because one of my minecraft cohorts used 3/4 of my precious lead supply for thaumcraft research last night because he didn't know better. I didn't realize I had to lock up the lead. :(

Not sure if you've found this out yet, but if you use TE's Induction Smelter to smelt ore with sand, it'll give you rich slag. The rich slag can be smelted in the smelter with two pulverized lead to make three lead ingots. In this way, even if you don't have much lead (or any other type of mineral), you can use your rich slag to get more of it.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
I think somewhere back there <---- the OP clarified that he means exploit in the sense of "exploiting the resource", rather than breaking the rules to gain an advantage. Most reasonable people seem ok with that, and either fall into the "I like fire and forget power so I can build cool things" camp or the "I want a steeper resource gathering challenge" camp - both completely valid playstyles that serve different ideas of fun. They also cause poo-flinging in the sandbox when they collide.
Yep. It's on the first page.
To clarify: I mean "exploitation" in the sense that the Brazilian rain forest is being exploited, not so much the video game definition of "exploit."

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Server lag issues are not the players' or the server admins' problem, it is the developers problem. In this case, the mod developers have created the mechanics that indirectly cause this server lag, even though they had nothing to do with the game engine mechanics that directly cause the lag.
Well, then. How about we go the way of the Solar Panels? Well, sort of. Make multiblock versions of the Geothermals. A 2x2x2 that puts out medium voltage and a 3x3x3 that generates high voltage, and each eat through lava at an appropriate rate. If people are just going to put out huge geothermal facilities and use transformers/storage devices to get the voltages and outputs they need, it would reduce server load a bundle.
Plus, it wouldn't be just a "no" to people who want that method of power, either for maintenance or thematic reasons. Coming from the tabletop RPG world, I can say that my players are always much more satisfied when I tell them, "Sure, you can do that. But..."

Reactions: noah_wolfe

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if you've found this out yet, but if you use TE's Induction Smelter to smelt ore with sand, it'll give you rich slag. The rich slag can be smelted in the smelter with two pulverized lead to make three lead ingots. In this way, even if you don't have much lead (or any other type of mineral), you can use your rich slag to get more of it.
The way rich slag works was changed. Rich slag gives you 3 ingots for 1 ore, you can't use the dust versions of resources anymore. Also the chance to get rich slag was reduced to 5-10% depending on the ore.

Toraxa

Jul 29, 2019
The way rich slag works was changed. Rich slag gives you 3 ingots for 1 ore, you can't use the dust versions of resources anymore. Also the chance to get rich slag was reduced to 5-10% depending on the ore.

That's probably for the best, since it was a bit too easy to just make large quantities of one thing before. Either way, it can help him with his lead shortage, once we finds more of it. :)

As for nether lava lag, why are we attacking the symptom, and the trigger? Why hasn't it been fixed? I never understood why lava didn't act like water that flows slower and for a shorter distance. I've looked at the classes, though I'm a newbie to modding, and couldn't find any distinction with my limited understanding of the code that would make lava do this, but certainly there must be something that could be updated to make the lava actually go away when you remove the source blocks.

Besides the lag, it's always bothered me. The main reason I started using lava months ago on our old server was because I wanted to open up space to build on in the nether. I wanted a big space to farm netherwort and to hunt for pigmen with more space to move around and escape them. I wanted to avoid being tossed into a giant pit of lava and burned to death. Sadly, after pumping the lava away I was left with terrible, jagged pits of fire that didn't exist.