An idea to prevent Nether lava exploitation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
And I thought you were a benevolent King... turns out you're just another Tyrant :'(

It was a joke about how nobody uses portable tanks.. I do for early game builds... Thankfully, the 'teleport pipe' has returned, so I can simply my process and expand on my resource collecting means again :D[DOUBLEPOST=1360091753][/DOUBLEPOST]
Steve's carts biofuel is a bit mainstream, and so is lava pumping, so I never really went with them. Blaze peered boilers are also kinda mainstream. I like to do something different, so I've never really cared about nether lava.

#eyetwich

You don't know how long I've been pumping lava... I was doing it LONG before people used it for Mods in Minecraft...

#rageagainstthehipsters

Carrington

Jul 29, 2019
But then how do you move large masses of water? This seems like it's throwing out the baby with the bathwater just to make a very weird point.

You know another solution? Just make ONE interdimensional lava plant and give everyone access. :\

This is basically the solution I'm running on any servers where I have a say at the moment. It'll be easier to enforce when we have plugins available to do block sweeps per dimension and remove rogue pumps.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Ugh. Graceless, artless, expensive. But at least you don't have nether pumps, amirite?
there were none... the nether was completely useless. It was reset monthly and raped of it's glowstone within an hour, then no one went there after that.
I pump lava from the nether now because I finally can and I think it's an unbelievably cool mechanic that I've never had the opportunity of trying.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
there were none... the nether was completely useless. It was reset monthly and raped of it's glowstone within an hour, then no one went there after that.
I pump lava from the nether now because I finally can and I think it's an unbelievably cool mechanic that I've never had the opportunity of trying.

So they also limited the distance you could travel? Because otherwise, it could never run out of glowstone.

SReject

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see an issue with nether-lava pumping so long as it's done with consideration for not only other players but for the server itself. With the server I play on we have a ~1000x1000x24 block lava lake(there's islands and the such throughout; was a PAIN to mark off :p) dedicated to JUST lava pumping for the server. It's a single plant which players use a teleport pipe for lava retrieval. At first it seemed everyone was using lava from it, but as we've progressed it's being used far less now. BUT it is a good way for players new to the server to get up and running.

I don't think the issue here is so much that pumping lava from the nether is an exploit. But rather its quite inconsiderate. First causes server lag, especially with a few players doing it; each with a chunkloader and such. And second, a lot of the players I've met sort of refuse to travel FAR away from there nether-portal spawn to do it. so you have many people pumping lava within a few 100 blocks of each other. So when someone else arrives in the nether they see pits all over the place of where lava used to be

Edits & additions:
First, a chunk loader doesn't keep just the chunk it's in loaded, but also keeps the surrounding 8(?) chunks loaded aswell.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
So they also limited the distance you could travel? Because otherwise, it could never run out of glowstone.
the overworld was 5000 in each direction from spawn (this was bumped up a few times, it was 8000 when I left), the nether was 1000 from the netherportal at spawn (one could make their own portals too

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
"The first resource to become completely depleted was clay (used for making bricks), and there wasn’t even enough to complete most of the brick houses being built."

Never in my however long it's been playing MC have I ever built anything using bricks... oh clay is becoming rare on this 350x350 world? just build your house out of bloody cobble then?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
"
Never in my however long it's been playing MC have I ever built anything using bricks... oh clay is becoming rare on this 350x350 world? just build your house out of bloody cobble then?

I hate cobble with a passion so I can understand the want to have anything But cobble.

isnowcrash

Jul 29, 2019
Well back then clay was the most rare resource in the game. I doubt you could even get enough to build a small house without cheating it in.

I really don't see how pumping lava is a problem. Admins can just ban people if it's not allowed.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Well back then clay was the most rare resource in the game. I doubt you could even get enough to build a small house without cheating it in..

and the most useles... hell the only reason I need clay now is because of RP2 (alloy furnaces), Thaumcraft (vials), Railcraft (coke ovens) and the rare times I use my filler...
really is one of the most ugly building blocks in the game. And cobble isn't too bad when using faithful... still not as cool as Red Brick but it's not hideous

Reactions: Confidential1207

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Lambert I take offense to your brick hating ways.

I like me some brick stuff. I might not build a whole building out of it but it does well for accents. And it is vary fitting used as chimnies.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I lived in a brick house when I lived in England. Now I live in a white rendered house... I don't particularly like this house, and reminisce about said England house... but bricks still suck[DOUBLEPOST=1360107979][/DOUBLEPOST]also, IRL... to make a 1m square out of bricks takes approximately 1000 bricks... not 4 ;)

isnowcrash

Jul 29, 2019
Brick is pretty ugly as a building block it almost hurts my eyes it tiles so badly. Clay is also useful in the industrial electrolyzer.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't see how pumping lava is a problem. Admins can just ban people if it's not allowed.
This admin would like to allow it, and make it not kill his server.

But I'm starting to feel like I'm shouting at a windstorm here. The discussion keeps pulling back to what is fair or what is allowed in a sandbox game about what is possible with inifinite(1) space and resources. Seriously, the only strictly limited resources are dragon eggs and ender bees, both of which can be regenerated regularly for others to experience.
(1) To varying degrees of inifnity

It was, until my forum host decided to suspend the forums for it. The drawbacks of free hosting. Don't worry though, amazing things are in store.
SO%20COOOL.jpg

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
All in all this sounds like am issue that is directly related to the lack of optimization of this particular phenomenon. I highly doubt when MC was being coded that something liek a pump being used like this was thought of, let alone the implications of how it effects med/high population servers. Its hard to say what to do, becuse banning for it or outlawing it really sucks and should be a last resort if no work-arounds are found.