AM2 Crafting Altar & Mana Battery

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
I'm back with more problems! Hooray!

So, Ars Magica 2. I think it's a cool mod, but it could use some better documentation. I'm trying to hook up a mana battery to my crafting altar. For reference, the MB is directly on top of the "crafting altar" block. After much trial and error, I figured out a few things:
1) The battery doesn't actually convert all essence to neutral
2) The lever on the mana battery must be flipped to receive power, and
3) The lever on the Altar must be flipped

My problem is that, even though I have a mana battery filled with neutral essence on top of the Altar, the Altar won't accept power. When I get to the part in the spell crafting where essence is required, the lever automatically reverts to the "off" state, and can't be turned back on.

Help, please? Thanks!

EDIT: Here's the Altar, for those that are interested: http://imgur.com/gallery/S4XnJfd/new

Last edited:

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
So the altar is not actually getting power? Cause I remember when I was using AM2 that most spells that required essence filled fairly quickly and automatically shut off the lever and move on to the next component.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Yup. According to the Magitech's Staff, the Altar has 0.000 essence stored.
So the little twinkling lightning looking thing is still above the spell recipe on the lectern? The only other thing I can think is to move the battery off the altar, you might be passing a redstone signal to the altar which might be screwing something up. For refernece the lever on the side of the altar is supposed to flip back off after it is done absorbing energy for a spell. The altar does not ever store essence, it only accepts it when you are trying to make a spell unless something was changed very recently.

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, the altar is getting a redstone signal. Hold on.

EDIT: Nope, still not working. Oh, and yes the twinkly thing is still above the lectern. I just put up a screenshot in the original post, too.

Last edited:

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Just had a go in AM2_1.1.1c and could not make it work either, It appears that the essence needs to come from an altar, not a battery. Might be intentional or might be a bug I will try to see which.

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
Just had a go in AM2_1.1.1c and could not make it work either, It appears that the essence needs to come from an altar, not a battery. Might be intentional or might be a bug I will try to see which.

Well... Damn. My nexus is 11 blocks away.

Thanks for checking!

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
also as of version 1.1 (i think) mana batteries no longer convert any essence to neutral

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
What version of AM2 are you using? I might see about reporting this somewhere.

ah, mithion might be aware of it https://github.com/Mithion/ArsMagica2/issues/255

I'm on version 1.1.2 , on the Direwolf20 pack.

also as of version 1.1 (i think) mana batteries no longer convert any essence to neutral

After much trial and error, I figured out a few things:

1) The battery doesn't actually convert all essence to neutral
2) The lever on the mana battery must be flipped to receive power, and
3) The lever on the Altar must be flipped

Reactions: YX33A

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you actually have to use the crystal wrench to link the power source to the altar each time it requests some. I haven't made any spells in a couple of weeks on my current world, but I also seem to remember having issues with the battery not wanting to feed the altar and having to directly link the nexus.

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you actually have to use the crystal wrench to link the power source to the altar each time it requests some. I haven't made any spells in a couple of weeks on my current world, but I also seem to remember having issues with the battery not wanting to feed the altar and having to directly link the nexus.

Tried that. The crystal wrench won't recognize the crafting altar as a valid power consumer.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Tried that. The crystal wrench won't recognize the crafting altar as a valid power consumer.
To be more accurate, the battery just doesn't connect to some things. The wrench works fine on the altar when the link is from a nexus.

The battery seems to have trouble connecting to several things according to the bugtracker I linked to, it also seems to link to things on it's own which can cause interference (although that is not the case here)

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I've managed to connect the battery to the altar

Just to check how you're doing it, you're right clicking on the battery first to start the link, then clicking on the altar? (As in the actual crafting altar block)

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
I've managed to connect the battery to the altar

Just to check how you're doing it, you're right clicking on the battery first to start the link, then clicking on the altar? (As in the actual crafting altar block)
Yup, click on battery (which has fresh neutral essence in it) with crystal wrench, beam of light shoots out top, Click on the crafting altar block of the muti-block (the central one in the roof). Nothing happens, the light is still shining on the battery like I have not clicked on anything valid. Throw the Switch! it flicks back instantly and nothing happens. Fiddle with things a bit, empty out battery fill it again still nothing. Does not connect. Then go to neutral nexus, click with wrench, get beam of light, click on altar in same place, beam disappears, Throw the Switch! and it works, the beam from the nexus to the shows up for half a second, then goes out and the switch is reset and we move on to the next component.

The altar is completely on it's own, there are no blocks touching it anywhere (I thought that might be the problem in the OP but it does not appear to be the case) there are no Ars magica blocks anywhere in the loaded world so nothing else can be making a connection that might interfere.

For me all of this is in AM2 1.1.1c, for the OP it is 1.1.2

Byte Templar

Jul 29, 2019
You need a Conductor (I think its called that) in the middle. Also put a charge focus or 2 in it or it will "overheat".