Am I the only one who likes the gregtech recipes?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Feydaway

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind GregTech...until you get to Advanced Solar Panels. GregTech not only makes solar panel building FAR more complicated than it should be...but, it also bottlenecks the game - to make Hybrid or above you MUST use UU Matter.

I ABHOR the Mass Generator. It's lame. A ridiculously complicated recipe to make a machine that consumes TONS more power than anything else that can make...anything. I don't like "anything" makers. Not a fan of EE either.

So, why make me HAVE to use it to build something else?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind GregTech...until you get to Advanced Solar Panels. GregTech not only makes solar panel building FAR more complicated than it should be...but, it also bottlenecks the game - to make Hybrid or above you MUST use UU Matter.

I ABHOR the Mass Generator. It's lame. A ridiculously complicated recipe to make a machine that consumes TONS more power than anything else that can make...anything. I don't like "anything" makers. Not a fan of EE either.

So, why make me HAVE to use it to build something else?
Solar panels (put a single block down, have infinite free energy forever with zero requirements or maintenance) are supposed to be quite end-game. So is the massfab (infinite almost any resource magicked out of pure EU and a cobblegen).

That's actually one of the things I really disliked about plain IC2: how easy is it to get a massfab going, get chests full of UUM in a day, and completely obsolete any other means of gathering resources.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Well it is advanced solars fault to use UUM in the recipe. For GregTech you don't need a Matter Fabricator for any of the items. And well the recipe isn't that complicated. 4 Pieces of Iridium, which are pretty easy to get in the End, a Skyworld in Mystcraft or with Shiny Dust from the TE-Ferrous Ore. Propably need a bit of chrome too, but only 8 or so not too much and rubys are not really rare. At the point at which you can make the matter-fabricator it is kinda cheap, since you need a lot of machines before.

The funny thing is. As soon as you switch GregTech off, you start to miss some of things. The better generators are great, exspecially since they empty your cells. The alternative recipies for batteries or circuits makes it easier to create a lot of machines fast and forcing all machines to produce redpower-ingots leaves you with less types of material independent of the processing-way.

GregTech is a bit tough at the start, which is not only because some of the machines are expensive, but also because they actually need energy. Most IC2-Machines need between 2 and 5 EU/t, which is a joke. The problem with IC2 is that it was the first mod. I even think it might be the oldest mod in FTB at this point, but not sure. And although the coding and such changed often, the overall content of the mod did not. So IC2 was some kind of standard and all mods oriented themself on the IC2-Standard, which made things pretty easy.

I mean player hat his Nano-Armor 6 hours after the server started. Although the Nano-Armor is not that much limited by Greg (only the macerator is more expensive) refilling it is a bit harder. Also CB, Grumm and player also have Q-Suits in literally no time. So GregTech basically just gives people stuff to do. Automating it is a lot of fun and a bit more tricky, since you have to provide a lot of EU permanently. For Starting most people use TE now anyway. Going from there into GregTech and IC2 is not too hard.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
The 40+ minutes to centrifuge things like Bauxite hasn't been in GregTech since like 1.4.2, try the Mindcrack pack where times are greatly reduced.

Most of the remaining centrifuge recipes still take a very long time. Off the top of my head platinum, uranium, most things which make methane, redstone, I think glowstone too? A lot of these take 30mins +

My solution is just to have 6 ofthem in a line where 5 are automatically making generally useful things that we are short on at the time and the last being on-demand

I can't really log on and check right now but isn't there an alternate recipe for hybrid like there is for ultimate hybrid by combining 8 around a circuit or something?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Well, how often do you really need to centrifuge uranium?

You don't have to stare at the centrifuge all the time. I always just put stuff in, hook up a hopper on top of it and a pipe to a chest if I need to process more than fits at once, and go do something else for a while.

SeniLiX

Jul 29, 2019
A piece of uranium and an empty cell = 1 Uranium cell
This is the original way by IC2. No one forces you to use the more efficient way which is added by GT. The old recipe still works.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
If you were to make a plutonium reactor it's one of 2 ways to do it, iirc. That way you don't lose uranium cells either in the creation. It's not so much about staring (which I would compare to making steel or electrolyzer), it's more that if I put say, a stack of platinum in it's going to take 3 hours approx to get that out, for 8 iridium. I've never had enough platinum to fill up a hopper and come back the next day personally.

I know I used the centrifuge as an "added bonus" for silicon while making a solar array, but most of the 400 or so silicon came from electrolyzing sand.

The thing with the centrifuge is it's more of a "get it tomorrow". That can be frustrating at times and why some won't like it. You can stick stuff in an electrolyzer, go mining/take a break from the game (online on ssp), and you come back and it's done - same with steel. Waiting would be horrid but you can actually continue what you were doing with just a small interlude. That doesn't tend to happen with the centrifuge since as mentioned, some stacks may take up to 3 hours.

Reactions: Dravarden

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
Here's something I've discovered after playing with GregTech for a while. If you just put some stuff in the centrifuge an look at it working, it means you do want to wait. I mean, in those 30 minutes (by the way, only 2 or 3 recipes need such a long time) you can go for a short mining session, expand your base for future uses or do whatever you want. If you're playing with the centrifuge, you are surely able to build a couple of filters and a centrifuge extractor to fully automate the process, emptying all the cells you don't need while you're doing something else. The "over 2k seconds recipes" are for getting free stuff from lava, getting free plutonium, thorium and tungsten (between 2000 and 2500), for getting iridum out of platinum (1000 seconds). Is that too unfair? To me it's perfectly fine, but it's just my opinion.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see issues with plutonium and thorium, it's not exactly an endgame material. Tungsten you will be making from before you get a centrifuge with any luck and be unable to smelt it, but is so common in general anyway with little use. The redstone and glowstone recipes are very "meh" as well. I can agree with iridium taking a long time but that is really about it.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see issues with plutonium and thorium, it's not exactly an endgame material. Tungsten you will be making from before you get a centrifuge with any luck and be unable to smelt it, but is so common in general anyway with little use. The redstone and glowstone recipes are very "meh" as well. I can agree with iridium taking a long time but that is really about it.
I mightily disagree! Tungsten is great for mixed metal ingots.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but combined with the amount you get and using aluminum ingots with it, how you can you ever use so many mixed metal?

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
There is always that!

I haven't even looked at the tungsten iridium blocks, I heard they're a dark blue which I think put me off it immediately. I like the base iridium reinforced blocks as they have a clean white look while also being so solid.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
It's complicated
Between Greg and I.
Diamonds for a macerator could be a bit much. I would like the idea of making some kind of flint based partially expensive item that can be used in the macerator. Perhaps flint on a stone and redstone torch (I'm trying to make it balanced and reasonably crafted at the same time) could make a "grinding piece" (maybe something with a piston could be used as well). Three of these pieces could be used in a macerator, but would have to be replaced every x items. Then you'd make more. If you didn't want to replace items, then you could just make the diamond version.

I would want some kind of medium mode. Easy is too easy. But hard is to hard in my opinion. Perhaps machine blocks being made with redstone in the middle would make it a bit harder but not too hard? Maybe lapis could be involved (very little) because of it's energy storage properties, and every machine holds at least a small amount of energy.

K4b6

Jul 29, 2019
Read the title and Had to do this :p
943598.jpg

On that topic I thought that they were pretty good they made me work harder (being a person that plays terriafirmacraft that is not saying much)
So I really don't care what we use. but harder is funner to me

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Read the title and Had to do this :p
943598.jpg

On that topic I thought that they were pretty good they made me work harder (being a person that plays terriafirmacraft that is not saying much)
So I really don't care what we use. but harder is funner to me

I wonder how the data would look if we could have "spied" on what people choose to play, and then cross referenced who plays/likes gregtech and who plays/likes Terrafirmacraft....