Am I the only one who likes the gregtech recipes?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
The very shaky comparison between what people play minecraft for, as it's an anti-gregtech POV people like lambert and dravarden will naturally take it as gospel.
Namedropping isn't cool and generally makes you look like a complete ass.
Also, that comparison isn't from the "anti-gregtech" side of the argument, if anything it's neutral.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not anti-gregtech, is the way I play.

ps: also there isn't such a thing as cheating in a singleplayer, for you maybe cheating a sand generator or a redstone bug, for me switching to creative so I don't die in lava is a normal everyday thing.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I like the recipe changes myself. I don't think of it as 'grinding' because he just widened the gap between tiers of machines. Having to actually go out and mine manually for a while was great. I liked that I couldn't just use my first set of diamonds to make a quarry (I don't like the idea of using the filler because it is an exploit and I am happy that the next version of buildcraft addresses it) and instead I had to find a way to get titanium. Going through the process of creating the blast furnace was awesome for me. I enjoyed getting all the materials together to create it and appreciate my quarry more since it would be hard to replace (though not at this point). Other then the fusion reactor I don't feel like his machines have too high a cost. Sure the matter fabricator isn't cheap, but it should be a high end item for what it allows you to create. Once you have your first quarry, or even a turtle for those that use it for mining, you shouldn't ever have a problem with resources unless you just stop using them to mine for you. After setting up 2 RP2 Frame Tunnel bores I lack for no resources that you could mine.

I don't even have a proper IC2 powergrid setup, because like DoctorOr said it is becoming nearly pointless without addon mods. If I didn't have gregtech installed the only use for it would be a jetpack and quantum armor if I wanted it. Thermal expansion allows for much easier automation of ore processing in my opinion. Gregtech gives me a sense of adventure when I want to do something. If I want iridium I will go find the End, which I have never honestly done without gregtech installed because there is nothing there for me. He successfully encouraged me to explore aspects of the game I have never bothered with before. He just balances the game around his own mod, even if it means changing other mods to do it. I don't mind that, I even like it. I don't see the point in playing with the mod if there are all these exploits or loopholes because of another mod. He doesn't ask the other mod developer to balance their own mod around his, that would be arrogant. He just makes it so that while you use his mod, the other mod is changed to be balanced to his. It doesn't change the other person's mod in anyway if you don't use his. At this point I couldn't imagine IC2 without Gregtech. It would feel empty and nearly useless. It would be like factorization where the most people use it the barrels and wrath lamp, IC2 would be used for quantum armor, mining lasers, and jet packs.

Reactions: CrafterOfMines57

thezeronumber

Jul 29, 2019
Namedropping isn't cool and generally makes you look like a complete ass.

Maybe it does but so do certain comments of yours. I mean, come on, stuff like this is just asking for a response:

Gregtech is an arrogant mod that assumes too much. Make your own shit and leave the other mods alone.

These topics always start with the best intentions but it never ends on a good note.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe it does but so do certain comments of yours. I mean, come on, stuff like this is just asking for a response:
These topics always start with the best intentions but it never ends on a good note.
My opinion is just as valid as anyone elses and I don't resort to namedropping

thezeronumber

Jul 29, 2019
In your opinion name-dropping isn't cool but perhaps in his opinion name-dropping is fine considering the subject of discussion. In my opinion your original comment wasn't fair but in your opinion it was. Neither is right or wrong because there is never a right or wrong opinion. I don't want this to develop into something else so I'm going to stop myself here and leave it at that. :)

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
flamebaiting and derailing threads is A-OK though.

It's hardly namedropping when you've already commented in the thread, btw.
Derailing is now posting my opinion on a thread that is... asking for my opinion?
Flamebaiting? I couldn't give half a shit who agrees with me/disagrees with me
And yes, you mentioned my name while making a blatently ignorant generalization, hence, you namedropped.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
My, you certainly like to misuse the word ignorant.
ig·no·rant

/ˈignərənt/
Adjective
  1. Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
  2. Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular: "ignorant of astronomy".

I'll say this then I'm done responding to that. Generally when you are throwing that word about it is the beginning of your latest flame or derail.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
My opinion is just as valid as anyone elses and I don't resort to namedropping
It's just way you present your opinion that rubs many people the wrong way. That's because you're presenting your opinion as facts, which they're not.

If you say "I don't like GregTech because it fiddles with other mods" that sounds very different from "GregTech is arrogant because it fiddles with other mods", yet both of those statements show you don't like GregTech and for what reason.

btw, namedropping might not be cool, but isn't quoting someone also a form of namedropping? I think it's very irrelevant to this discussion where everyone is commenting on each others opinions and thoughts.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to go ahead and apologize for the comment. Dravarden may be a bit generalizing with his comments but it was undeserved.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to go ahead and apologize for the comment. Dravarden may be a bit generalizing with his comments but it was undeserved.
That's fair enough, apology accepted. And I'm sorry if my comments come across as very harsh and brash and opinionated.. that's just how I am.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019

I don't like gregtech because I don't like gregtech, and I'm not generalizing.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not going to drag up examples, but I ask of you to have a look and think "how could this post be taken differently". Sometimes your posts have sweeping conclusions about things that just don't fit with a lot of other examples that weren't brought up (generalizing)

Not saying I'm an angel

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not going to drag up examples, but I ask of you to have a look and think "how could this post be taken differently". Sometimes your posts have sweeping conclusions about things that just don't fit with a lot of other examples that weren't brought up (generalizing)

Not saying I'm an angel

He's just stating his opinion. In his opinion Greg is arrogant in the way he changes the recipies of other mods and I fully agree with him. Just because he doesn't say "It's my opinion" every other sentence doesn't change it that it's still his opinion that you simply disagree with.

So please stop making every topic about GregTech into metadiscussions and let's focus on the crappy mod that is GregTech shall we? :)

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Except that has nothing to do with generalizing things. If you are generalizing people are going to call you out on it because either you are spreading misinformation or your opinion is based on a flawed knowledge-base.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I enjoy GregTech on hard mode. In fact, I switched TE to hard mode too, asked SirSengir to implement one for Forestry as well, nerfed all renewables in IC2 to half output and the geothermal to 75%, and disabled a whole slew of mods that make the game too easy or unfocused.

Mind you, there are some things I do not like about GregTech, for example because they introduce inconsistencies. Like, using the compressor to make storage blocks. You literally cannot do this for copper, because there already is a core IC2 recipe for 8 copper bars in a compressor. And I like my recipes consistent, one way that works for all ingot variants.

But that's okay. I treat GregTech exactly how I treat the FTB packs as a whole: if Minecraft is Lego, then FTB is this big box of it where you dump every Lego thing you ever bought. I know we all had this box in our rooms as children ;) And from that box, I pick and choose what fits my current mood to play with. GregTech's excellent configuration file, and the FTB launcher's comfortable mod selector, have given me unparalleled fine control over my Minecraft experience, and I am happier for it.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
As mentioned, IC2 is now pretty near obsolete due to other mods building ontop of the foundation of Buildcraft.

Personally, when I started with mods, I thought Buildcraft would be more obsolete, as it's power systems was terrible (designed on purpose that way), but with TE, we now have storage and more efficient transport systems.

In my current playthrough, I think my IC2 usage will be restricted to using Recyclers, and perhaps a Mass Fabricator. Everything else powered/controlled by other mods.

I believe that IC2 needs a shakeup or some brave souls to make addons that give IC2 versions of items available in other mods. GregTech is doing this in it's own way, but I'm not keen on it. The design process feels haphazard and no real clear development goal. I can understand the idea of end game tier technology and trying to address inconsistancies/exploits between mods, just the approach seems wrong to me with loads of new ores, some strange recipe ideas, waiting times, new tech items, etc.

Trouble is, all the mods are in effect in an arms race, all trying to outdo each other, so any attempt at a consistent balance between mods is out of the window.