All Becomes Grey [SIGNUP AND OOC THREAD] [ROLEPLAY] [POSSIBLE MATURE CONTENT]

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
  • I think you're mistaking creation for something else. Enchanting maybe. Creation is turning raw magical energy into solid matter. Binding blood to leather isn't creation, that's more like enchanting. Creation would be creating the leather armor from nothing. And creation has lots of combat potential. You can create a shield from nothing, generate spikes or poisons directly inside of enemies, create decoys to distract or intimidate enemies, and then there's the out of combat potential for making and repairing weapons and armor. There's actually a ton that creation can do besides just making gear.
  • Yeah, I was mistaking creation to enchanting...
  • What made your character want to be a holy mage? His equipment consists of bloody leather and a massive bloody hammer. I see no reason for him to want to be a holy mage. A dark mage sure, but holy? And what happened to the creation magic he was learning? He just entirely forgot about it and dumped it to the side? He dumps a school that's very useful for combat for holy, a school that's almost entirely useless for combat?
I should have tought about this.
  • One doesn't just become a shadow mage in two years. Kids develop their art through decades of training in school. Look at lexia, she's 20-something and has been studying chloromancy her entire life, yet all she can do is summon a thorny bush and throw vines around. Two years and maybe you can make a shadow dance.
A shadow dance could be fun :P
  • Furthermore, holy and shadow are on opposite sides of the spectrum. One doesn't simply dump 17 years of holy experience down the drain for shadowmancy. The transition would be quite difficult and take much more than two years of work.
  • On that point, switching from creation to holy to shadow would make you at most an apprentice of all three schools, and therefore way behind everyone else.
  • Note, shadowmancy isn't necessarily evil, just on the dark end of the magical spectrum. It's just controlling shadows, nothing evil about that.
More things that I should have thought...
  • Your character seems rather hodgepodge to me. I mean he's a blacksmith with bloody equipment and a giant hammer, then he can bless people with holy magic, and he can shift into shadows and create shadow weapons? The point of choosing one school to use is when you do that, you get a more unified character.
My suggestion: scrap the magics. Scrap the description. Get your idea for your character in mind, then decide what kind of magic he uses and write the backstory based on that. Choose one school of magic and stick with it. Keep in mind that cheese's descriptions of the schools is describing their overall capabilities, not what a character who uses that school does.
I agree with a lot of what you said, except scraping the whole description, I want to keep some thinngs.
Look at cheese's description of creation and look at the abilities I described in that first bullet point. Each school has enormous potential With shadow, it's not just shadow walking and weilding. You could create shadow minions, control beasts by infecting them with your shadows, you could block
magic by using the voiding properties of shadows. You could get shadowsense, and be able to see anything cloaked in darkness.

What I'm trying to say is, get creative with your magiks. There's so much each can do that cheese just lists a few. Also keep in mind I'm not trying to attack you, just your character. Individual
aspects of it are great, but put it all together and it's a jumbled mess.

Could you say what parts of the story are good in your opinion?

(Sorry for a pretty late response...)

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

LivingAngryCheese

Over-Achiever
Aug 22, 2014
A place
Whatever happens, happens. It should happen organically and semi-realistically. And be fun.
I'm trying to make sure this rp is fun for you, as you don't seem to rp a lot, that's the reason I was suggesting removing it. Just out of interest, have you ever rped before?

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Order of events:
1) Bad magical things happen
2) Loch is seriously nervous about magic and is orphaned/urchined
3) Loch is adopted by a Master at a College. The college presumably deals with Magical and Pseudo-Magical arts, similar to the colleges in Name of The Wind, one of the best books ever.
4) Loch is educated, but does poorly in "true" magics, and does well in "pseudo" magics, e.g. what we call science
5) Loch has no friends because he's weird
6) Loch befriends someone in a pseudo-magic class, but finds that the friend really enjoys magic. Despite this difference of opinion, they manage to maintain the friendship.
7) Loch loses that friend to a magical accident.
8) Loch loses his already-tenuous grip on reality: Magic sucks.
9) Loch leaves the college. That place is too magical.
I don't understand why being so close to those who are in favour of magic didn't somewhat sway his opinion. It sounds like he should hate their opinion on magic, not hate them for liking it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Pyure I just realised, don't you want to write up your backstory in proper form? I could get that done for you instead if you like.
I'm not sure.

I'm actually a rather good creative writer, I'll be honest, I'm just, um, apprehensive about putting that much effort into an RP. Go for it if you like.

If you describe the friend at college, she should be female, but the relationship is entirely friendz.

manchester66

Jul 29, 2019
Name: Ban
Magiks: ice
12e7ca3661b6238995b622303d49a0d4.jpg

Personalty: Loves the comfort of others and jokes around but can be very serious we needs be

Backstory: Lived with a loving family who he enjoyed spending time with. He often went out swimming in the pond near their house. He soon found out that during winter when the water was frozen he has some power over it. This lead him to the discovery of his ice magik. He spent all his free time practicing his power. He got a scar when practicing his ice abilities and was hit by ice. He doesn't heal it as a reminder to stay focused.

Equipment: freezing sword - enchanted so its user cant be frozen by enemy spells

Stats (25) total

Magical abilities:

Ice Armour: Passive +2 armour against physical attacks
Ice Aura: Party is infused with ice and takes 1 less damage from all physical attacks for 2 turns. 2 turn cooldown.
Soothing Wind: Heal and ally by 1 health. . 2 turn cooldown

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Meet your first NPC! His appearance is a WIP due to being on my phone. Improvement still going on.

Name: Calhoun Reeves

Magiks: Fire

Appearance:
45bc3dac824d7889e388bb943a3c4b98.jpg

Personality: A bit of a wildcard, Calhoun has always taken almost sadistic pleasure in wreaking absolute havoc upon the battlefield. While not the most powerful of hunters, he likes to hurl a never-ending barrage of spells at his enemies. He finds fighting almost funny, and is bored by most things that don't involve fighting. He has no problems with sacrificing fellow humans to carry on a battle, and when wounded, instead of fleeing, enters a bloodthirsty rage, ripping apart his enemies.

Backstory: The son of Nikolas Reeves, the owner of the battle school, he has grown up fighting. He literally lives in battle, it is both the necessity it is for everyone and the time when it is not necessary. Because of this, it's all he's ever known. He has tried other jobs, but working under his father is all he's ever enjoyed. He has various kills under his belt and isn't modest about them by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps the reason for this is the death of his mother by the hands of a weather being, 3 weeks after he was born. Because of this, he was raised entirely by his dad. His father, with no time for his son due to his extremely important job as the headmaster of the battle school, raised his son inside his job, raising him in the battle school. Calhoun has, therefore, been raised by battle. Really, he's no more sadistic than the next, it's just all he's ever known.

Equipment:
A cloak with runic inscriptions to enhance his magik reserves.
Twin daggers.

Stats (30 total):

Health: 3
Armour: 4
Agility:5
Strength: 5
Accuracy: 3
Magical skill: 6
Magical defence: 4

Magical abilities (3 total):

Hail of flames: Loses 1 accuracy and 2 magical skill until 3 turns have passed, including the turn it is used. Each of the turns he has these debuffs, he makes a magical attack on a random enemy along with his normal action. 4 turn cooldown.

Burning rage: On 1 health, Calhoun gains +3 to power, accuracy and magical skill

Explosive fireball: Attacks 2 enemies with -2 magical skill. 4 turn cooldown.
suddenly Dovahkiin

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
@the_j485 if you are going to use Jace Beleren for how your character looks then at least have a picture like this one:

:)
having said that, I am more a fan of jace bearlen
jace-bearelen.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

edit: image derped hopefully its fixed now

edit2: damm, that image is being a derp. put a link to it for now
edit3: I can't seem to upload the file when editing the post. So....yea...link will have to do :(

Last edited:

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Coming back to transmutation: It's generally a jack-of-trades elemental manipulation. There's no overpowering ability, although high-powered transmuters can do some seriously creative things to large swaths of their environment. Bodies tend to strongly resist the changes by way of magic defense, so replacing the water in someone's blood to mud is not always effective (and would at most only affect a limb, anyways.) Worked metals are difficult to alter, as it's basically all four base elements in its creation.

If this doesn't work for you, I can move on and think of something else.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Chuckington's family was pretty poor, they had to live in a cave. He has lost his dad when he was 6, he saw him getting killed by a giant bear-like monster. When he was 7 he found two very old(read: ancient) books, one was describing minerals and mettalurgy and the other was having the alphabet. When he was 8 he started school knowing how to read and some information about mettalurgy.
I like the killed by a bear thing. That could be a good motivation to study holy magic, like your character say him getting killed and couldn't do anything to stop it. The books thing seems unneccesary thoiugh.
He started learning magic, blacksmithing and fighting. When he was 10, he made himself a make-shift pickaxe and mined some iron which he made into a chestplate,
Why would he need to mine the iron himself? Not everyone is off fighting things 24/7. There have to be people in charge of managing food, making equipment, teaching children, etc. I mean they'd probably be able to defend themselves, but they don't actively look for a fight like adventurers do. So I'd think there would be miners.
, altough he didn't only used iron he also poured some of his blood and the blood of the bear-like monster which he killed with a couple friends, as the monster was old, the chestplate was bound together using creation. The weapon of his choice was a giant hammer inspired by his blacksmithing hammer, to obtain it, he went in a forest and chopped an old tree that would have died soon anyway. The process of the creation of this hammer was very simmilar to the one of creating his chestplate. He has also made himselfsome leather and fur pants from the skin and fur of that monster.
Defeating the monster and making it into armor helped him get some closure, but still he wanted to do more. So he started studying holy magic so he wouldn't feel as helpless as he did when his father was attacked ever again.

Or something like that. Also, I'd ditch all the blood stuff. That's just a bit weird. Though making equipment from the corpse of the monster is absolutely valid.
He decided to stop using creation as it didn't have any use for him in fights. Until he was 17 he has specialized himself in holy magik, but one day he found his mother dead in their "house", he tryed to use Holy Resurrection to revive her, but it didn't work. In that day he started learning Shadow Magik
"one day, he came home, and found his mother dead, her blood splashed everywhere, her throat torn out. He used every spell he could think of to revive her, but nothing worked." I'm thinking that during that event, his despair tainted his holy magic, turning it dark. He successfully revived his mother, but only for a minute as an undead abomination. Then she died for good.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
I like the killed by a bear thing. That could be a good motivation to study holy magic, like your character say him getting killed and couldn't do anything to stop it. The books thing seems unneccesary thoiugh.

Why would he need to mine the iron himself? Not everyone is off fighting things 24/7. There have to be people in charge of managing food, making equipment, teaching children, etc. I mean they'd probably be able to defend themselves, but they don't actively look for a fight like adventurers do. So I'd think there would be miners.

Defeating the monster and making it into armor helped him get some closure, but still he wanted to do more. So he started studying holy magic so he wouldn't feel as helpless as he did when his father was attacked ever again.

Or something like that. Also, I'd ditch all the blood stuff. That's just a bit weird. Though making equipment from the corpse of the monster is absolutely valid.

"one day, he came home, and found his mother dead, her blood splashed everywhere, her throat torn out. He used every spell he could think of to revive her, but nothing worked." I'm thinking that during that event, his despair tainted his holy magic, turning it dark. He successfully revived his mother, but only for a minute as an undead abomination. Then she died for good.
That last bit goreae, I like it a lot. Love becomes desperation becomes darkness. Very star wars.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Name: Ban
Magiks: ice
12e7ca3661b6238995b622303d49a0d4.jpg

Personalty: Loves the comfort of others and jokes around but can be very serious we needs be

Backstory: Lived with a loving family who he enjoyed spending time with. He often went out swimming in the pond near their house. He soon found out that during winter when the water was frozen he has some power over it. This lead him to the discovery of his ice magik. He spent all his free time practicing his power. He got a scar when practicing his ice abilities and was hit by ice. He doesn't heal it as a reminder to stay focused.

Equipment: freezing sword - enchanted so its user cant be frozen by enemy spells

Stats (25) total

Magical abilities:

Ice Armour: Passive +2 armour against physical attacks
Ice Aura: Party is infused with ice and takes 1 less damage from all physical attacks for 2 turns. 2 turn cooldown.
Soothing Wind: Heal and ally by 1 health. . 2 turn cooldown
I spy a deadly sin.

1) There must be more to his personality than that. His backstory (more on that later) hints at him being a hard worker perhaps. How does he react to adversity? What are his goals? His flaws? His likes and dislikes, his fears?
2) I can understand not wanting to have any kind of generic orphan story but I feel like you could do so much more. Show events that led to Ban's current situation and personality, what prompted him to become who he is. Show us what you can do, this already shows a little promise but it feels like you wrote it quickly with little thought.

3)stats? Judging from the style of your abilities, you want a tank, with high defenses and health.

4) abilities.
Ice armour has two problems: it's boring, and it's over powered. Make it so that it actually only lasts a few rounds and has a cooldown.
Ice aura is op as fuck, but an easy mistake to make. In this system, many if not most attacks are 1 dmg dealt, so a difference of even 1 is crazy strong. I recommend changing this to +1 durability for all party members plus himself for three turns and a four turn cooldown.
For soothing wind, to make it scalable for in the future when stats increase, as well as more practical now, make the number of points healed proportional to one off his stats such as magic ability.

It looks like this could shape out pretty good with some changes.

Last edited:

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
@the_j485 if you are going to use Jace Beleren for how your character looks then at least have a picture like this one:

:)
having said that, I am more a fan of jace bearlen
jace-bearelen.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

edit: image derped hopefully its fixed now

edit2: damm, that image is being a derp. put a link to it for now
edit3: I can't seem to upload the file when editing the post. So....yea...link will have to do :(
That link made me giggle. Definitely keeping it for future use.