Agrarian Skys help, venting, and discussion thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Hito_

Jul 29, 2019
Gravel and Sand ore shouldn't be pulverize-able. You must hammer them.

tl;dr version
Automation (when you get there) = Profits.
Hammering = Waste of Time (the most important resource)

You don't need to hammer them when you have automation. . . Either by having Cyclic Assemblers or MAC craft them and smelt them in the smelting option of your liking. If you go really big and use multiple TiC Smelteries you never need to do anything more than dump the Broken Ore (from sifting gravel) or the Pulverized Ore Dust (from sifting dust) right into the Smelteries. You will be making so much during automation, while you are doing other tasks that the extra you could get from hammering won't even be missed.

(edited for cell phone derp)

Reactions: johnnypebs

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
tl;dr version
Automation (when you get there) = Profits.
Hammering = Waste of Time (the most important resource)

You don't need to hammer them when you have automation. . . Either by having Cyclic Assemblers or MAC craft them and smelt them in the smelting option to you liking. If you go really big and use multiple Tic Smelteries you never need to do anything more than dump the Broken Ore (from sifting gravel) or the Pulverized Ore Dust (from sifting dust) right into the Smelteries. You will be making so much during automation, while you are doing other tasks that that ti you extra you could get from hammering won't even be missed.

Except it's not wasting time because it's not actually using your time hence the "automated" part. Also many people won't use smelteries at all for auto-processing because they tend to lag. If you plan to only use pulverizers for metals you MUST smash the gravel and sand variants to pulverize them.

It also just occurred to me you seem to be speaking as if hammering can't be automated. It can.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Except it's not wasting time because it's not actually using your time hence the "automated" part. Also many people won't use smelteries at all for auto-processing because they tend to lag. If you plan to only use pulverizers for metals you MUST smash the gravel and sand variants to pulverize them.

It also just occurred to me you seem to be speaking as if hammering can't be automated. It can.
What now? I have a pulverizer line for gravel and dust, then sift the outputs. 4 broken ore can be combined into 1 gravel ore which can be run through a furnace. No hammering required. Hammering will increase your output, but it doesn't take long before that's no longer relevant.

Reactions: Hito_

Hito_

Jul 29, 2019

Ninja'd
What now? I have a pulverizer line for gravel and dust, then sift the outputs. 4 broken ore can be combined into 1 gravel ore which can be run through a furnace. No hammering required. Hammering will increase your output, but it doesn't take long before that's no longer relevant.

Yes you can automate hammers but then you have to automate repair of the hammers as well.

I run this: 1 Igneous extruder(Cobble)-> 1 Pulverizer (Gravel)-> Autonomous Activator-> Sieve (2 more A'S attached to the Sieve)-> Vacuum Hopper-> Storage System-> MAC(autocraft broken ore into gravel ore)-> High Oven(ingots)-> Storage System

1 igneous extruder (cobble)-> 3 Pulverizers (gravel-> sand-> dust)-> then repeat the rest of the steps above.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Ninja'd

Yes you can automate hammers but then you have to automate repair of the hammers as well.

I run this: 1 Igneous extruder(Cobble)-> 1 Pulverizer (Gravel)-> Autonomous Activator-> Sieve (2 more A'S attached to the Sieve)-> Vacuum Hopper-> Storage System-> MAC(autocraft broken ore into gravel ore)-> High Oven(ingots)-> Storage System

1 igneous extruder (cobble)-> 3 Pulverizers (gravel-> sand-> dust)-> then repeat the rest of the steps above.

Automate the crafting or repair. Both are trivial and far more interesting IMO.

Not doubling ores? My brain would become a victim of suicide.

Reactions: Methusalem

Hito_

Jul 29, 2019
Personal preference I suppose. I like to keep the system as compact as possible.

As far as ore doubling. . . . The High Oven does Ore Tripling.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Personal preference I suppose. I like to keep the system as compact as possible.

As far as ore doubling. . . . The High Oven does Ore Tripling.

With the high oven you get the same issue as the smeltery; tends to cause lag.

But yeah just throwing ore into furnaces makes me cringe and it's boring IMO.

Hito_

Jul 29, 2019
With the high oven you get the same issue as the smeltery; tends to cause lag.

But yeah just throwing ore into furnaces makes me cringe and it's boring IMO.
Well that is unfortunate for those who get the lag. I do not so my stance is that if you don't get lag then this is the most efficient method I have come up with thus far. I am however always looking to shrink it's size and make it even more efficient.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
Automate the crafting or repair. Both are trivial and far more interesting IMO.
Not doubling ores? My brain would become a victim of suicide.

The only materials from Gravel, where you don't get metric tons of, are Diamonds and Emeralds. I would rather increase the throughput (additional Sieve/Activator) if that turns out to be a problem instead of trying to double ores or *shudder* hammer all materials down to dust.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Ultimately it seems like the hammering/no hammering is a preference of play style
but also, remember you don't have to use diamond for your hammer either.. you could move fortune onto an Iron, or invar hammer for instance, heck you could put it on a wooden hammer if you really want and use those for automated smashing

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
Chunk Loader from minefactory reloaded.
1. How much power does it take
2. I need to cover 3 radius and all i can see is 2 on it.
3. The fluid input is it mob essecne or liquid ender?

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
The only materials from Gravel, where you don't get metric tons of, are Diamonds and Emeralds. I would rather increase the throughput (additional Sieve/Activator) if that turns out to be a problem instead of trying to double ores or *shudder* hammer all materials down to dust.

This pretty much sums it up. Metals aren't scarce, even if you forego ore-doubling. Start me off with diamond and emerald bees and I might be more interested in getting more metals out of sieving since I would need to do far far less of it.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
This pretty much sums it up. Metals aren't scarce, even if you forego ore-doubling. Start me off with diamond and emerald bees and I might be more interested in getting more metals out of sieving since I would need to do far far less of it.

Might go for bees for everything :p

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Might go for bees for everything :p
Bees are super easy with the new AgS difficulty for Forestry and Gendustry. If you are lucky enough to get the Oblivion Frame reward bag then you can get virtually any bee within minutes provided you have enough starting bees. At the moment I am working on making a super template so that all my bees have the best stats.

I have said this before, but Gendustry is borderline OP, and renewed my interest in bees, as once you have bred the best bees on a few different worlds, you get sick of the process. Instant bee mutation is refreshing and lovely.

Reactions: Bagman817

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
Just want to vent a little bit... Why is it that when I pour copper out of a smeltery into a crucible I get Tinker's Construct copper blocks, when I craft those blocks into ingots I get thermal expansion copper, when I craft those ingots back into blocks I get thermal expansion copper blocks, and then when I craft those copper blocks back into ingots I get mariculture copper? Ughh... and I know jabba barrels, unifier, mariculture thingy-bopper with pearls and junk... But still...

Xtremekiwi

Jul 29, 2019
So, I just completed the glacial precipitator quest and unlocked the rest of the food-related quests. At first I thought "Oh, just toast? That looks easy". Then I saw the quantity. Let's just say I was in shock that I need that many. And that's with a mostly-automatic farm that I have (Basically it's a harvester, planter, fertilizer with no fertilizer in it at the moment and a pipe to a sludge boiler. The non-automatic part is that I still need to feed the steam dynamo).
Also, I've noticed that the planter, despite me using the filter to make it so it plants in this way:
TTT
LLL
(W = Wheat, T - Tomatoes, L - Lettuce), it's not planting any lettuce. Maybe I just don't know how machines work, I don't really know.
Finally, I've had a most peculiar occurrence: After a few minutes spent in the nether, all mobs except for the pig-faced non-aggressive enemies (I'm guessing imps) (And I guess and hellfish I expose) just stopped spawning. I was on easy, but I found that to be most peculiar. If nothing else, it made my nether resource gathering journey pretty much painless, allowing me to grab 4 stacks of soul sand, enough redstone ore to give me ~300 redstone and enough coal ore to give me ~4 stacks of coal. Oh, and about 2 stacks of iron and copper ingots worth of nether ore.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

But then I have to expose myself to the uncomfortable question: what is the difference between "hammering", and "pulverizing"?

Questions like this shake my suspension of disbelief.

(Don't ask why I'm willing to accept infinite cobble gen from two source blocks.)

---
Other rants:

1. Tip: When making steel in a steelworks furnace, make it with BLOCKS of iron. The time and resource cost is exactly the same as for making it a single ingot at a time

2. Jaded has made the laser cost half the energy to operate. 2500RF/t is required by each pre-charger, not 5,000.

3. The thaumcraft questline seems a little backward. At one point, early on, it wants a handin of an alchemical apparatus. Which requires a greatwood plank in its manafacture. Which requires a greatwood tree. Which requires the most expensive @#$*ing infusion crafting recipe I have ever bloody seen. Greatwoods are easy to find in non skyblock maps - I don't get why they should be this difficult to make in a skyblock. (And then, superb troll, one of the side quests unlocked by this quest offers a greatwood sapling!)

Last edited: