AE2 Discussion

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
A good option for people who are worried about the presses might be to install minetweaker (or ask your server admin to do it). If I were to do it I would make the presses an assembly table recipe with skystone as a base and then an amount of either diamond, emerald, lapis or nether quartz (depending on the desired press) with some added certus to make it Applied Energisticsy. It might be a nice way of satisfying all comers without Algo having to turn his mod around.

Edit: Thank you for the like Padfoote, it made me reach a milestone, *small sitting down at the computer dance!

Last edited:

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
i realize i'm in the minority, but i rather like the idea of parts for complex AE's being scarcer in a SMP setting.

i know some of the changes are shocking, even scary to some people, but they really should play with the mod for a day or two before they claim the sky is falling. it's not as bad as your imagination has made it seem. also realize this is an alpha. things can change.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Is it really so hard to maybe have to wait a while before you set up the last storage system you will ever need? What about tiered progression and working your way up from nothing? Why do you guys even play minecraft at all if you want everything on day 1?

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I think its a bit of a half baked idea. Like I said earlier, he should have just went 100% and used crashed flying saucers instead of meteors.
Or they could be normal flying saucers that have a chance to touch down within 150 blocks of the player. There would be one per player and they would hit after an insane week. Them you can walk up a ramp and enter the spaceship teleporting you to another dim where there would be aliens who you can trade with like villagers for the various plates. Just an idea...

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
Because entering into a meteor from some alien civilization to capture the remnants of their technology IS high tech
You're only getting etched pieces of metal. Suddenly knowing how to assemble the machines to utilise those pieces of metal and then knowing what to do with the processors you get out of it is quite unlikely.
The crashed UFO idea is an interesting one, maybe have it contain an actual working ME system and machines that can automatically produce the processors and a few other basic components (when given the resources of course). Then have a book which contains recipes and information for the rest of the stuff and pretend that is how Steve? learns how to use it all.
Have the component producing machines craftable but the recipe needs something that only that machine can make so you can't build an ME system until you find a UFO but after that you aren't restricted at all.
Or the meteors could just contain blank patterns that you can combine in the new machine with silicon, gold, certus and diamond. That would largely fix the issue, IMO.
Isn't that exactly what they are already?

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't that exactly what they are already?
Nope. Each chest contains 1 of the 4 patterns; there is no "blank" pattern. The issue is that to get anything useful done with AE you need at least 3, if not 4. And due to RNG, you'll have to search somewhere between 6 and 8 meteors for the patterns.

By the way guys, Bevo nicely pointed out in the comments something Dire hasn't gone over yet: channels are basically irrelevant because you can just use P2P tunnels for linking cables through other cables (Dire should have gone over this earlier IMO considering it's kinda one of the biggest things in AE2). I will say, this *slightly* increases the value of multiblock controllers, but I wish there was a real benefit to them aside from the more connections.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
And due to RNG, you'll have to search somewhere between 6 and 8 meteors for the patterns.
in SSP finding 8 meteors will take you...what...an hour? two tops. why this is such a sticking point for a lot of people?

people have been asking for balance and "pace" for a long time, and now that it's here? lol, poor algo :(

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Or they could be normal flying saucers that have a chance to touch down within 150 blocks of the player. There would be one per player and they would hit after an insane week. Them you can walk up a ramp and enter the spaceship teleporting you to another dim where there would be aliens who you can trade with like villagers for the various plates. Just an idea...

No, the aliens dont start invading until after you reverse engineered their ancient tech, and set up an advanced system with wireless capabilities or something that they can detect from space. AE deserves its own lore and personality.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
in SSP finding 8 meteors will take you...what...an hour? two tops. why this is such a sticking point for a lot of people?

people have been asking for balance and "pace" for a long time, and now that it's here? lol, poor algo :(
In SSP, I'm not interested in wasting two hours of my life running around like an idiot looking for meteors. That isn't even semi-interesting, it's just stupid crafting components. The only difference between having 4 settings built into the machine and 4 patterns you have to collect in randomized chests is time. So I don't consider this a real balancing effort, just a bad attempt at a band-aid. Not that many people I know thought AE1 was unbalanced in that area. This is not taking SMP into account, and that's a whole other story.

On a brighter note, the Part 3 of the spotlight showcases the P2P tunnels, the spacial storage (which sadly is going to be pretty useless unless most modders jump on board) and this nifty part that allows for dedicated subnetworks. The last one in particular allows you to run stuff such as P2P tunnels easily.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
Because entering into a meteor from some alien civilization to capture the remnants of their technology IS high tech

And growing crystals in muddy puddle? We both know meteors aren't there for hi-tech feel but for delaying a start with a mod. We both agree delaying this start is beneficial to the mod as it is so powerful tool but what I and quite a few people here don't agree is the way it is done. Meteors will hinder the game for SMP A LOT as already proven by few posts if you have server with borders 4k by 4k for example there is only so many meteors you can fit in there. In addition it may happen that when people start building it may happen that quite a few of them will have bases over the meteors and then what are you going to start digging in their bases? Noone denies mod needed some sort of delaying mechanism but RNG is one of the worst route to go. Make it unlock-able after killing wither or something like that and then UFO or meteor crashes within 24 blocks of a player with presses. Or make crafting presses require Nether star so you know people won't do it on day one, but it won't prevent even the most crowded server from allowing each player to have it.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
One second. ONE SECOND. AE needed a nerf?
... HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa
I'm fairly surprised AE was as big as it was, with only about 1/2 the community being hoarders. There was the loud but small minority who were completely "THIS-IS-OP!!!!!!!"
But apart from the Meteors, I'm fine with AE2.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
In SSP, I'm not interested in wasting two hours of my life running around like an idiot looking for meteors. That isn't even semi-interesting, it's just stupid crafting components. The only difference between having 4 settings built into the machine and 4 patterns you have to collect in randomized chests is time. So I don't consider this a real balancing effort, just a bad attempt at a band-aid. Not that many people I know thought AE1 was unbalanced in that area. This is not taking SMP into account, and that's a whole other story.

On a brighter note, the Part 3 of the spotlight showcases the P2P tunnels, the spacial storage (which sadly is going to be pretty useless unless most modders jump on board) and this nifty part that allows for dedicated subnetworks. The last one in particular allows you to run stuff such as P2P tunnels easily.
I already addressed SMP above; see my post regarding astronauts. :)

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
No what you did is you think you adressed it if I wanted to play real life I would go outside I am playing computer game for fun not for imitating real life as it was pointed out to you.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I am of the opinion that resource scarcity in that manner is absolute and complete BS. If I wanted a competitive game I would sure as hell wouldn't play modded SMP. And with that, I think we can agree to disagree.
Agreed.

Anyway, seems I'm gonna have to be "That guy" again and ask a question that is being very unanswered, but by the people in this thread. So Crystal Growing is too Low-tech, eh? Throw some crystal powder into a pool of water, and you eventually get a usable crystal. That's too low tech? Fine. Does anyone know of a high tech way to do this that wouldn't gate crystals in AE 2 too late to be of use?

I ask because that's how it's normally done. Both Nature and Mankind use this sort of trick to get crystals; nature does this sort of thing all the time, albeit usually producing stalagmites and stalactites. Mankind? Heck, this is how rock candy is formed.

Also, I'm okay with wasting 2 hours to get started in AE 2. I just can't see it being only 2 hours in SMP, even if it's a friendly server, unless we can make our own presses somehow. I don't even care if in order to make any press you need all four presses first. I'm cool with that, as while I may be "cursed by the RNG" at times, in this case I can locate the resources to make a press and find a person that has all four and trade with them for a new press. Even in a Anarchy server, this is possible. It's just more tense as one has to be on the lookout for betrayal and double-crossing in this case.