AE and deep storage unit

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
anyone got deep storage units to work with storage bus? barrels work fine but DSU dont seem to work at all

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Some 1.4.7 bugs. Manually load 2+ stacks in the DSU and AE should then work with it fine.

power crystals

Jul 29, 2019
Bear in mind for everything I'm about to say that I've been on solely 1.5 for over a month now, so stuff may not work quite right in 1.4.7. I know we fixed a couple issues.

AE interprets DSUs as a place it can dump a (near) infinite quantity of one item. I don't know the internals of AE incredibly well, but as I understand it if all of your material is in one place, it will put more of it there to avoid wasting storage. So if you for example put all your cobble into a DSU, all future cobble will go there, unless you somehow actually achieve 2 billion cobble. To get it there in the first place, you might want to use an export bus. As for how it acts when the DSU has stuff in it, there shouldn't be any difference between "slightly filled" and "more filled" until it actually does hit the limit. I've never seen someone actually hit the 2 billion mark, so your mileage may vary if you somehow achieve that.

NosePicker5555

Jul 29, 2019
Bear in mind for everything I'm about to say that I've been on solely 1.5 for over a month now, so stuff may not work quite right in 1.4.7. I know we fixed a couple issues.

AE interprets DSUs as a place it can dump a (near) infinite quantity of one item. I don't know the internals of AE incredibly well, but as I understand it if all of your material is in one place, it will put more of it there to avoid wasting storage. So if you for example put all your cobble into a DSU, all future cobble will go there, unless you somehow actually achieve 2 billion cobble. To get it there in the first place, you might want to use an export bus. As for how it acts when the DSU has stuff in it, there shouldn't be any difference between "slightly filled" and "more filled" until it actually does hit the limit. I've never seen someone actually hit the 2 billion mark, so your mileage may vary if you somehow achieve that.
I'ma big fan of yours Power♥

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019

thanks for that was just interested in if after x ammount of items if AE still picks up how much you have in it be interesting to see how AE copes with 1m+ of an item in the system

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I can guarantee that AE storage interfaces work just fine with DSUs, in 1.4.7

2013-04-25_00.13.18.png

Each DSU is loaded by an infinitube based transport/sorting system and connected by a storage bus. Items put into AE by other paths still get put into the DSU, and in fact even the zero item counts will stuff new items into the correct DSU because the storage bus configured for that item, so the bus is recognized as the primary storage even when the DSU is empty.

Reactions: Sexywop

Sexywop

Jul 29, 2019
I can guarantee that AE storage interfaces work just fine with DSUs, in 1.4.7

View attachment 3727

Each DSU is loaded by an infinitube based transport/sorting system and connected by a storage bus. Items put into AE by other paths still get put into the DSU, and in fact even the zero item counts will stuff new items into the correct DSU because the storage bus configured for that item, so the bus is recognized as the primary storage even when the DSU is empty.

I really like this setup, can you explain the monitors and how you made this set up? I may want to replicate it :)

tompy97

Jul 29, 2019
DoctorOr said:
“I can guarantee that AE storage interfaces work just fine with DSUs, in 1.4.7

View attachment 3727

I want you to explain how you got such a ludicrous amount of redstone! Thats 1/3 of a million redstone dust!

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
I had no issues hooking up a DSU to a storage bus. Just configured the storage bus to only accept one item, and all of that one item got automatically routed into the DSU. I can pull stuff out through the network and put it back in as needed.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I really like this setup, can you explain the monitors and how you made this set up? I may want to replicate it :)

Storage interface on top of the DSU, infinitube behind it (but really could be anything, I used buildcraft pipes before advancingcraft added infinitubes). Then immibis-microblocks to cover everything up - although facades would work as well since AE supports them.

The monitor is just AE's Storage monitor.

Oh and everything in that picture was the output of either my bees, or a soulshard farm of witches and endermen.

verran2001

Jul 29, 2019
i recently found the amazing storage capacity of the DSU's and I want to connect about sixty different DSU's to my ME storage system. I have a bunch of storage buses, but was wondering if there was a better way than just hooking each and every one up to a storage bus. Any suggestions?

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
i recently found the amazing storage capacity of the DSU's and I want to connect about sixty different DSU's to my ME storage system. I have a bunch of storage buses, but was wondering if there was a better way than just hooking each and every one up to a storage bus. Any suggestions?
Nope. You could (maybe) use a router, but then your items wouldn't be stored within your ME system and you wouldn't be able to request them from a terminal.

But honestly, what do you need sixty DSUs for? I have maybe 8 of them, storing all the super-abundant materials like dirt, cobble, sand, etc. Everything else goes into ME storage cells.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019

Almost correct: it will put new items in the storage inventory that both can accept and/or has the items, and has the highest priority. You can set priority levels on drives and storage busses (shift-rightclick IIRC).

verran2001

Jul 29, 2019
But honestly, what do you need sixty DSUs for? I have maybe 8 of them, storing all the super-abundant materials like dirt, cobble, sand, etc. Everything else goes into ME storage cells.

It was sort of a gag. I originally had a ton of barrels where I stored everything myfrom my quarry but then I switched it to DSU's. He commanded me to make one for every minecraft resource... I went with it as a joke. It's true I can use ME disks for storing everything but there were so many steps just to make one high end disk that I preferred the simplicity of the DSU's. This way i can store crafted stuff on the ME harddrives and my resources in the DSU's. I am pretty short on quartz at the moment too, but I may switch back to more harddrive space after I quarry some more...

Sexywop

Jul 29, 2019

What I usually do is when I add new DSU's to my AE system is slap on a storage bus, put the item I want to be in it in the buses config thing, then set an export bus to export every item I have in my system into the new DSU. (Make sure to set the side on the DSU to Import.. I usually just set all 4 sides)... Once it is done I remove the export bus and any new item will go into DSU :) (**Don't forget to set the ghost item in the Storage bus**)