Advice on server "Can't keep up"

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I've got a large mod pack, and optimising a server version, which has highlighted that something is "killing" the server. Pack runs fine on single player (just needs a good spec due to number of mods).

I've already removed one mod causing excessive load times, but not really sure how to work out what is really affecting the server.

With my server running locally, and no one on, it's constantly 2000+ms behind (sometimes reaching up to 5 digit numbers) and skipping ticks.
Running Opis indicates that the problem lies with Entities, all of them, vanilla and modded. All have (what appear to be) very high timings, from 6o to 300 per entity.

One thing I have noticed is that for some reason Biomes O Plenty underwater plants are all entities, which appears to be adding to the load. I'm guessing this was done so that they don't displace the water source block.

Can anyone offer any advice on what else I could check/do to help pack performance.

TIA.

Gears of the Arcane

Jul 29, 2019
Could you give some general specks of the pack? What version of forge? Actual number of mods? The version of java you're running? Minecrafat Version? Any Java Parameters? Could you pastebin the entire list of mods?

Out of curiosity, does the pack happen to have "Special Mobs?"

EDIT: I also don't know if this is in the wrong board. I personally always get baffled by that. But for you and me both this seems pretty useful.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Mod list (slightly out of date, but gives a good representation)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46396473/OmegaDawn/OmegaDawn Mod List.htm

Forge 1231, 153 mods loaded, Java 7 64 bit.
Server Java Parameters based of DW20 server pack (just with upped memory, happens regardless of memory values) - java -server -Xms4098m -Xmx8192m -XX:permSize=256m -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -jar FTBServer-1.7.10-1231.jar

Gears of the Arcane

Jul 29, 2019
Update to Java 8. That seems to be a big increase in performance. Also, remove Special Mobs, it was in my pack - after removing it I saw a massive increase in performance.

There is one thing that is concerning to me though. BoP's water-crops aren't entities. They are actually blocks. Maybe try running an item purge? It is possible that on ocean gen they all broke and dropped as items.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Update to Java 8. That seems to be a big increase in performance. Also, remove Special Mobs, it was in my pack - after removing it I saw a massive increase in performance.

There is one thing that is concerning to me though. BoP's water-crops aren't entities. They are actually blocks. Maybe try running an item purge? It is possible that on ocean gen they all broke and dropped as items.
Removing Special Mobs has helped a bit. Still get the overload, just less frequently than before. Usage per entity has decreased.

I think the items were dropped items, I noticed in the list that there were other things from broken grass.

Have you checked the amount of squids?
At one point, I had 200-300 squids spawning/s
Squids are spawning OK, although I have noticed that they do spawn more frequently in big groups compared to previous versions of MC. Opis has shown be that some mods mob spawning needs tweaking a bit though.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
I can confirm that squids, if left unchecked will overrun your server. This is why EnderIO added a squid blacklist from spawning

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I ended up setting them to only spawn in deep oceans. Mostly because I like boats. Then again I also added Archimedes Ships so it's not such a problem to get out to sea.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I ended up setting them to only spawn in deep oceans. Mostly because I like boats. Then again I also added Archimedes Ships so it's not such a problem to get out to sea.
Good idea (borrows it...). Always seemed strange seeing squid spawn in shallow "fresh" water. Plus there's always other ways of adding in black dye.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Since you've got Botania, it's no problem at all actually. Petals Plus Mortar and Pestle = dye. Though some mods don't technically like those.