Adjustments to the website over the next couple of days (experimenting with ads.)

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
You may see small changes to the website over the next couple of days as we look to find ways to integrate a few ad spaces onto the website. This will be an ongoing process and as none of us are experts in adsense it may take some time to get this right. So if anyone reads this has a lot of experience with adsense, (specifically on forums) please feel free to contact me.

If you see any ads you feel inappropriate to the website, I would appreciate it if you could take a screenshot of the ad and send me a link (upload it to imgur or something) There are some tools we have to help get rid of them but this will take a little time.

Also if anyone has any comments on what they see, please feel free to make them here, both positive and negative comments are welcomed as long as they are constructive in nature.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
That ad directly above who's online now, should be below it. Yes, it will get less clicks, but when I'm on my phone, it gets in the way and on my PC it's just ugly.
So far, the other ones are fine.

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
I have noticed new adds, I was wondering when would you be saying anything about it...I don't like it...

I have no problems with people saying I dont like it, however a little more information would be helpful. Is it the fact there are adverts in the first place you don't like, or the positioning of the ad or the ads that are showing up.
These are the kinds of questions where your input is going to help us out.

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
I have no problems with people saying I dont like it, however a little more information would be helpful. Is it the fact there are adverts in the first place you don't like, or the positioning of the ad or the ads that are showing up.
These are the kinds of questions where your input is going to help us out.
Sorry

Mainly I don't like their current position. I agree with Ash, they should be bellow the who's online thing. I also don't like the fact you are adding more adds, but I kinda understand your reasons (assuming they are the reasons specified in the "FTB is turning into a business" thread).

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
This may be necessary for you to continue running this forum, but I am not fond of these recent additions to the forum.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
The Denial Network ad is fine, it blends in, and I, someone who tries to avoid ads as much as possible, can ignore it. That GameVox ad however is quite obnoxious. It's really in your face, I feel it would do much better somewhere else.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
The Denial Network ad is fine, it blends in, and I, someone who tries to avoid ads as much as possible, can ignore it. That GameVox ad however is quite obnoxious. It's really in your face, I feel it would do much better somewhere else.

The drop down ads and GameVox are easier to ignore for me, than the glaring Google provided ad above the who's online section.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
The drop down ads and GameVox are easier to ignore for me, than the glaring Google provided ad above the who's online section.

I'm not seeing that. I'll try turning ABP off and see what happens.

Okay, just disabled ABP. Oh lord, that's horrendous.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not seeing that. I'll try turning ABP off and see what happens.

Okay, just disabled ABP. Oh lord, that's horrendous.

Thats another thing, Kudos to you guys for managing to avoid adblock detection for the GameVox and Denial Network ads. But yes, that one on the front page is pretty bad. I have disabled adblock for this domain because I dont usually use that page anyways. I normally go straight to What's New and Watched Threads

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Thats another thing, Kudos to you guys for managing to avoid adblock detection for the GameVox and Denial Network ads. But yes, that one on the front page is pretty bad. I have disabled adblock for this domain because I dont usually use that page anyways. I normally go straight to What's New and Watched Threads

I only disable ABP when it is convenient for me, sometimes it thinks things are ads when they really aren't.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
I dislike Google's ad service in general, mostly because it tends to get sites flagged for having viruses when they don't (thanks to Google's abysmal security screening on its ad services). :/

(For those wondering, the way it works is: a malicious site provides an ad to Google. Anti-virus softwares flag that site and/or the ad. Then, when a legitimate site runs an ad from the malicious site, anti-virus software sees the content from the malicious site and flags the legitimate site as being malicious, when it's really just a malicious ad. Not to say that's a bad thing on the anti-virus end [especially since it is technically possible to infect someone's computer just by them seeing a malicious ad], but it's bad news for legitimate sites that are just trying to stay afloat. :/ )

EDIT: missed an "anti-" there. :p

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019

They don't technically count as ads.

herbycanopy

Jul 29, 2019
I do not see even one add this is great. Till I the launcher is setup were we can play 1.6.x games then this site stays on my adblocker list.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
The problem with multiple ads is they they have to compete with each other for your attention- it just leads to noise (and adblockers).

Whatever design you go for, no more than 1 ad on the screen at the time- and certainly nothing that pops up in the way- generally you'll lose the audience and never sell a product if you annoy them. (Minecraft forums kindly provides an example of how not to do it with the popup in the bottom of the screen)

Something discreet and relevant (like the gamevox one in the top left) works best- easily seen, but doesn't detract from the user experience.
If designed right- vertical banner ads on the left/right hand side can be effective too.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I agree with Celestialphoenix... Any ad that pops in front of content you are trying to read (Like the MC forums does every time you enter a thread) has two results.

1). I will never buy any product, no matter what it is, that thinks their ad is more important than content their audience is trying to view.

2). If it get's too obnoxious I will abandon the site itself.

I don't mind side column or ads in the top or bottom margins, but if you block the content I came to a site to see...

I'm about to abandon YouTube entirely because I like to watch videos in full screen and some of the non-video ads on the side and to the right remain smack-dab in the middle when I go full=screen.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
For me the only add is the Gamevox and the Creeperhost, I don't see any other ads, yes adblocker is disabled o_o