Add A Dislike

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Lemme guess the USA?
Yeah, but you know a dislike would kinda be more impactful than a written response.

No, it wouldn't. It really wouldn't. It's a lazy, counterproductive way to disagree. It's the Chuck Lorre sitcom of disagreeing.

If you disagree with me on something, but can't be bothered to explain why, or to demonstrate that you've even made a reasonable attempt to understand my point of view, then why should I give your opinion any thought at all? It's meaningless.

If you're using it to punctuate your counterargument, then, again, why does it have to come with a punch? Like I told you before, this isn't 4chan, you don't need to beat people over the head with your opinion here. People are here to read it, understand it and intelligently reply to it. Toss in a virtual middle finger and all you'd be doing is overshadowing the point you were trying to make. I don't need to riddle your posts with dislikes to get my point across. I can do that just fine by explaining to you exactly why the idea has no value. It's a bad idea, and you suggesting it, and still sticking with it at this point, is not a good look for you here.

Dislike buttons are good for nothing but empowering trolls to be trolls without accountability. It's purely masturbatory exercise. The troll clicking the dislike button, whether it be because they disagree, or just got got and want some "revenge" or they just feel like being a dick today, they're the only one who gets any kind of satisfaction out of it. There is no value to the group at all.

Here's your tl;dr: Read the whole thing. And maybe think about whether or not this is the place for you.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
The first time I watched the movie, it was stupid. The second time, it was hilarious. The third time, it was sad (because I saw it starting to come true).

Just for the record, BTW, because it certainly feels like it's happening here in the good ol US of A, but all scientific research indicates that the human race is, indeed, getting smarter every generation, not dumber. With the caveat that I don't know exactly what their research criteria was. All I know is there was a consensus. (I'd link you but I read this like 5 or 6 years ago)

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Here's the thing: I don't care if people dislike what I have to say, or disagree with my opinion. In fact, I openly encourage people to disagree with me, in many cases. Disagreement with logical discourse breeds new ideas and compromise. Disagreement without discourse is a dickwaving contest where nothing gets done or solved, and everyone who witnessed it is worse off for it. The value isn't in being liked, or even being right. The value is in the conversation that educates, evolves opinions, or even agrees to disagree. Intelligent conversation and debate requires no score card.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yes! Exactly!

I don't need to know the number of random people that agree or disagree with me. I have an observation to share and I want others to read it, understand it and comment on it, and vise versa.

This laziness is really, truly the root of the disease plaguing the world right now. And its spreading.

Edit: "Like" buttons can end up affecting posts as well, but being that it's a cookie and not a demerit, at the very least it promotes pleasant conversation. I can do without it, but it doesn't cause any real harm that I can think of. A dislike button would just devolve this place.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
It drives me nuts on other sites, too. Even ones without a dislike button.

Let's say someone starts a thread and talks about some idea he or she just came up with. And the next poster is like "nope" or "disagree" without any backup statements or anything.

What value do these people think they're bringing to the conversation here? If your one-line post is "agreed" or something to that effect, then at the very least, you have confirmed the posters own words and you've reinforced them. Simply disagreeing without context has zero intellectual value at all. To anyone. It does nothing good to or for anyone at all.

Man, it's actually legitimately impressive how bad of an idea this is.

Reactions: mc.crab

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
It drives me nuts on other sites, too. Even ones without a dislike button.

Let's say someone starts a thread and talks about some idea he or she just came up with. And the next poster is like "nope" or "disagree" without any backup statements or anything.

What value do these people think they're bringing to the conversation here? If your one-line post is "agreed" or something to that effect, then at the very least, you have confirmed the posters own words and you've reinforced them. Simply disagreeing without context has zero intellectual value at all. To anyone. It does nothing good to or for anyone at all.

Man, it's actually legitimately impressive how bad of an idea this is.

^This.

:D Positive version of "Nope".

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
I have to agree with Drbretto and Inaeo. A "dislike" button would only be of any kind of value if it required a response to be able to hit it. That way if you disliked a comment/post you HAVE to explain why, otherwise you are just being a @$$ to be an @$$. You may as well just start creating discussions stating "F-you all" 2-3 times a day. It would be just as annoying and offensive.

Reactions: Hambeau

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I have to agree with Drbretto and Inaeo. A "dislike" button would only be of any kind of value if it required a response to be able to hit it. That way if you disliked a comment/post you HAVE to explain why, otherwise you are just being a @$$ to be an @$$. You may as well just start creating discussions stating "F-you all" 2-3 times a day. It would be just as annoying and offensive.

[Presses dislike button]
{Forum: You need to write a response to use this feature}
[Response] No u r dum.

Unless you want to have paid moderators constantly monitoring posts, and having the "Dislike" posts held up for verification, this would be all you need Cpt.

*insert wink here to imply light ribbing

The thing I like about this forum is that people here talk, discuss, and even agree to disagree from time to time. The only epeen (if you could call it that) we have is the tag below our avatars.
Other forums that use these kinds of like/dislike methods normally devolve into shouting matches or echo chambers.

@Nuclear_Creeper0 you have been quite... grumpy? Is that the word I'm looking for? Contrarian?

If you are so unsatisfied with these forums, and the people who use them, why do you come?

If it's attention you desire, there are many other sites that would be quite happy to indulge epeen measurement and mud slinging fests, but here, even when someone makes a new thread to ask "WHY DO I CRASH" you will see a polite response directing the (usually) New Member to the proper section of the forum, and inform them that more information is needed. If this was any other forum, even the (ugggg) Curse forums, you would not get the same.

Hell, the whole drama-llama we had a few years back about GT and TiCo was vigorously discussed, points of view made, disagreements stated, and only 2-3 people tried to turn it into a flame war all over the span of 30+ pages of posts. A dislike button would not have contributed a damn thing.

This is why I like it here. We do not need a way to discourage people from bringing ideas to the forums. I appreciate your idea, but vehemently oppose implementation of a way to reduce the discourse to a single button press.

Reactions: Inaeo

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
[Presses dislike button]
{Forum: You need to write a response to use this feature}
[Response] No u r dum.

Unless you want to have paid moderators constantly monitoring posts, and having the "Dislike" posts held up for verification, this would be all you need Cpt.

*insert wink here to imply light ribbing

The thing I like about this forum is that people here talk, discuss, and even agree to disagree from time to time. The only epeen (if you could call it that) we have is the tag below our avatars.
Other forums that use these kinds of like/dislike methods normally devolve into shouting matches or echo chambers.

@Nuclear_Creeper0 you have been quite... grumpy? Is that the word I'm looking for? Contrarian?

If you are so unsatisfied with these forums, and the people who use them, why do you come?

If it's attention you desire, there are many other sites that would be quite happy to indulge epeen measurement and mud slinging fests, but here, even when someone makes a new thread to ask "WHY DO I CRASH" you will see a polite response directing the (usually) New Member to the proper section of the forum, and inform them that more information is needed. If this was any other forum, even the (ugggg) Curse forums, you would not get the same.

Hell, the whole drama-llama we had a few years back about GT and TiCo was vigorously discussed, points of view made, disagreements stated, and only 2-3 people tried to turn it into a flame war all over the span of 30+ pages of posts. A dislike button would not have contributed a damn thing.

This is why I like it here. We do not need a way to discourage people from bringing ideas to the forums. I appreciate your idea, but vehemently oppose implementation of a way to reduce the discourse to a single button press.
It's been a bad month I need to express my grumpiness.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Fine it might bring negativity but what if they added it with a negative rating limit, meaning you need to give more likes than dislikes.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Just do it. Please..... I want to dislike spam people.
Please take the time to read the forum categories. This post belongs in the Web Feedback board. It also isn't going to happen because the entire point of a forum is to foster discussion, something that a button to say you think a post is wrong doesn't do. If you do see spam spill out onto the forum, please report the post and it will be dealt with.

Status
Not open for further replies.