A way to make street lights?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Kristian

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I'm currently building a town, and needed a good looking way, to make street lights, that can be powered with redstone signal, that I turn on, or EU from my power plant.

Thanks in advance & Regards,

Kristian "sensityy"

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Take a look at Ender IO.

They have those powered lights and their variant which can be turned on or off via redstone.

They also have those that needs rf or don't.

Also comes with a wireless charger that can power the lights too.

Redstone conduits and energy conduits that can both exist in the same block as well as their own facade so you can hide the conduits.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I think Project Red has its own versions of the various block lamps, cage lamps, and so on from RedPower that can interact with redstone and have a more tech-heavy feel to them. If you don't mind something a bit less techy, Railcraft lamps and wall blocks of the same block type would work well together, though they (as far as I know) don't interact with redstone and are thus always active.

Kristian

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any of these different things, that can be made in a good looking way so I can turn it off from my control center?

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
I think you can paint Glowstone blocks and maybe Redstone Lamps with the EnderIO painter, and it should be able to paint Chisel decorated blocks on them. IIRC Direwolf made that in his last SP Series for his machine room.

Lohengrin

Jul 29, 2019
I have made street lamps by using micro blocks. Make a quarter sized column, then make a pillar and stack that on top twice, then put on your light source block of choice. Think I used wrath lamps, but whatever you think looks good. Chiseled glowstone blocks are nice too. Gives a decent appearance of a classic street lamp. You could fiddle with the thicknesses if you like a thinner lamp post or what not.
If you want to go down the crazy path, check out the Electrical Age mod. I am not an electrical engineer, but if you can wrap your head around the mod, they have a street lamp model that looks quite nice.

Kristian

Jul 29, 2019
Right now I'm just going to use the Lamps in the ground, cause it's the only thing I find able to being turned on/off from the control center. I've looked at microblocks, but I can't figure out a way to get my redstone signal to the top yet /

Lohengrin

Jul 29, 2019
Ah well, I guess I just left them on all the time. Maybe a daylight sensor on top? Those are kinda big though. Thought there was a mod that added a more discrete version, but maybe I am wrong. And I know there is a mod that adds the reverse of daylight for darkness. Damned if I can recall at the moment though, never had cause to use it. Might be complicating things by worrying about an on/off switch. ;)

Kristian

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, might check out some other mods, and maybe add them to my server :) Thanks for all the answers!

N

nativewolf78

use a mod called electrical age i downloaded it and i use that it has street lamps in it and ways to make electricity in game eaither with proper electrical wires and power plants and is compatible with other mods too just google electrical age and look for the curse tutorial download of the tutorial map and then download the mod too

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
inverted light sensor on top of of a redstone lamp. decorate as desired?

Edit:
Sorry. guess that is a 1.8 thing

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
UwtwahY.png

vADUEdk.png

Instead of microblocks you use Project Red Framed wires as the chassis and then apply microblock covers to them to make them take the textures you like. That way you can send redstone signals up through them and turn the lamps on and off.

Reactions: Henry Link

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Immersive Engineering has a very nice-looking item, the "Wooden Post". If you hit the side of the Post up near the top of it with an Engineer's Hammer, it pops out an "arm", and you can then attach a light source to the bottom of the arm. It looks very nice IMO. Immersive Engineering is a very nice looking mod, especially when you connect the poles together with wiring making it all look quite realistic compared to real life power poles and light poles. If one Wooden Post is too short, then just use 2 of them, one atop the other.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Immersive Engineering has a very nice-looking item, the "Wooden Post". If you hit the side of the Post up near the top of it with an Engineer's Hammer, it pops out an "arm", and you can then attach a light source to the bottom of the arm. It looks very nice IMO. Immersive Engineering is a very nice looking mod, especially when you connect the poles together with wiring making it all look quite realistic compared to real life power poles and light poles. If one Wooden Post is too short, then just use 2 of them, one atop the other.
This was going to be my suggestion too. That wiring looks exactly like the real wiring you see suspended from telephone/power poles.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
Maybe you could use Minefactory Reloaded RedNet cable system.

It really depends on what you need it to look like, from aesthetics perspective. If you need it to look nice and invisible, the options get more limited. If you can live with some sort of wiring, there are many options.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
inverted light sensor on top of of a redstone lamp. decorate as desired?

Edit:
Sorry. guess that is a 1.8 thing
Finally remembered. It was something I did in minecraft a version or so back. A inverted light with a daylight sensor on top of it. It has so much more potential now. as Carpenter fence can be used. Back then i was only using vanilla fences.
yLeKB2Z.png

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Carpenter's Blocks adds a version of the Daylight Sensor as well, so you can change that texture as well if you like.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
EnderIO Insulated Redstone Conduit doesn't look too bad, and can be controlled either automatically or manually. The pillars are either thin, or can be covered with Conduit Facade, but that's full block size. I know a few things can be made invisible when painted in the EIO painter. I don't know if Quite Clear Glass conduit facades are on the invisible list.