A truly Ultimate modpack

bwblazerkid

Jul 29, 2019
*Disclosure* This is just an idea, the logistics and mod incompatibilities would be worked out, please do not post if you are just going to say how it would never work, or that the mod authors would not allow it *Disclosure*

I had an idea of the ultimate Minecraft modpack utilizing the many mods we have, to make a tiered, realistic amazing experience. The best way I can explain it is in the ages, or tiers that would be in the pack, with the basic ideas, goals, and main mods you would use.

Tier 1 - Survival
The main mod for world gen and ores/ore processing would be Terrafirmacraft. I have been playing this recently and am loving the realism and in depth "stone age" tier that it provides. Getting ores is very hard early on, having to survive while getting wood and basic stone tools (not even a pickaxe) makes the first days of your world much harder and cause you to slow down a bit, get a basic food source and make sure you are safe.
Main Mods: Terrafirmacraft, Possibly some mob mod.
Goals to next tier: Survive, Find sources of basic metals, Get a Bloomery going
Tier 2 - Mechanical Power
Once you get basic metals (copper, tin, bronze, iron) from Terrafirmacraft, you can move on to using these metals for more advanced machinery. At this tier you would have a mod like Better than Wolves (see disclosure)for mechanical power. Basic Machinery like a windmill and other power generating devices allow you to refine your materials better, do some basic automation and make better use of your materials. At this point you may branch out to a more magical or a more casual playstyle.
-Magic-The basic wonders of the world are beginning to come to you as you find mysterous spells across the landscape, unfortunatly, you may not have the time to get neccesary technical resources as productively
-Builder-, you can build a nice farm and breed bees to advance, at the cost of less magical ability.
Main Mods: Better than Wolves, Buildcraft(pipes and basic engines running of mechanical power), Redpower(basic wires), Railcraft, Tinkers Construct, Ars Magica, forestry, extrabees
Goals: Start making advanced metals such as steel, electrum, gold, platinum.
Tier 3 - Basic Industry
Better refining and and the ability to make more advanced alloys would allow you to finally make some useful machines. The large amount of resources and time will make your first machine feel like an amazing stride. Finally Industrialcraft is available. The machines would do all the same things, minus anything to do with ores. You would still be using the bloomery from Terrfirmacraft, but at this tier, you can cool the liquid metal directly into an ingot, and then shape your ingot to what you are making, all with industry! Also, you can do much more with automation, so finally smelting ores is not such a hassle. At this tier is should be fully possibly to automate the creation of tools or just about anything with metal. Also you can finally automatically mine with the buildcraft mining well!
Main Mods: Industrialcraft(Plus some of the simple addons), Buildcraft(Everything but quarry, assembly table), Redpower(Everything but frames and logic), Computercraft
Goals: Learn to utilize advanced mining and refining techniques to get more advanced materials
Tier 4 - Advanced Industry
This is currently the highest tier, everything from all of the mods is now possible, along with a few more mods being available such as gregtech, steves carts. The industrial bloomery allows you to completely move over to the modern age of electronics and machines. Life becomes very easy and you wonder about what comes next...
Main mods: Gregtech, Steves Carts, Applied Energistics
Goals: ???

Tier ? - Magic
Just an idea to throw at the end, i love magical mods, such as ars magica, thaumcraft, etc. but I dont see where they would fit in this world. Having these as a final tier would be cool, finally you can bend the world to your whim.
Main mods: Ars Magica, Thaumcraft, Dimensional Doors, Mystcraft, Xenos Reliquary, Tropicraft, Atum, Twilight Forest

End Note: This is the first draft of this idea i just came up with and decided i needed to write it down, i will be editing it with more ideas, coming form both me and anyone who bothers to read this. I think it would be an amazing experience, mostly for single player, but a small multiplayer server would also work. I dont believe this would work on a large server, because people just starting out would not have to deal with any of the first tiers, if the other people are in the modern age. Lastly, please post if you have any ideas for goals, mods, tiers, or just anything you would like to say about the idea.

Have a great day :)
-Bwblazer

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Cieronph

Jul 29, 2019
Wow Great ideas, of course compatibility and permissions would be the key issue here at lot of these mods are very different and setting it up would be a pain but possible. But ye great concept

bwblazerkid

Jul 29, 2019
For compatibility, a whole mod would have to be written to do this. It'd add a few blocks, do something like have terrafirmacrafts ingots work for all the other mods, and handle all the necessary world gen stuff, etc.

Sidenote: If any good modders see this and like the idea message me :D

Reactions: Bobodamonkey

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
The idea is great in concept. I love the progression. For the magic you could put in the second tier and create a new branch so people could just go down the magic branch and ignore technology. You'd have to split up the current magic mods though. For instance, tier 2 could add Ars's magica's first tier where you find some spells in dungeons. As you master these you create new spells through research (add thaumcraft). As you get better you start to unlock enchantments you can place on weapons and armor and learn to open up new dimensions to travel to (Divine RPG). Additionally, for the technology you could split off the forestry and bee production and that be a sub branch of the technology branch. Of course adding mods like Thaumic Bees, can tie the branches together.

You wouldn't want to restrict people from playing both branches but maybe not allow them access to a tier of the alternate branch until they pass the current tier of the current branch. i.e. A person would have to progress to the third tier of magic before that person would be able to progress to the second tier of technology. This would help maintain the measured progress you're going for.

All in all this would be an amazing game to play which reminds me of a 1st person civilization game using minecraft mechanics. Very nice idea.

Edit: I'd move industrial craft to the 3rd tier and use a mod like cogs for the second tier.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
My 2c:

It's not a wonderful idea to lay out one progression for your modpack, especially if you expect it to have server play potential. A lot of people like playing MC different ways, and you'd like to accomodate that. Try to have at least 3 or four possible ways to proceed at all points. The only place where this is difficult is at the vanilla stage, but mods like Natura and Tinker's Construct can greatly speed that part along.

Reactions: RedBoss

ajrhug

Jul 29, 2019
better than wolves is intentionally incompatible with every other mod in existence, and so is terrafirmacraft

bwblazerkid

Jul 29, 2019
better than wolves is intentionally incompatible with every other mod in existence, and so is terrafirmacraft
Better than Wolves just wont work with forge. I'm pretty sure it does work with some modloader mods. And terrafirmacraft works well with other mods now, the only problem is getting the "vanilla" mod resources, but people have found ways around that, such as custom recipes and npcs. Also, that is besides the point, as already stated a new mod would have to get written making TFC worldgen and metals work with the other mod.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Not to mention that 9 out of 10 players would rage hard that what you're doing is going to "destroy Minecraft" and suck all the fun of past, present and future from the universe.

I mean, look at GregTech. That mod makes modpacks progression-based. People have calmed down nowadays, split into the three camps of "I like it" and "I don't like it" and "I'm a DW20 fan, what's GregTech?" that are largely content with ignoring each other. But a few months ago the shitstorm was epic... and GregTech is doing far less than what you are proposing here.

(Just to clarify, I'm not saying you shouldn't do this. I'm just saying that people will rage regardless of what options they have :p)

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
Fantastic idea, other than BTW, the others can probably be made to work together, but *whew* what a lot of work that would be. I think a good tier 4 goal would be "Remove the need to ever doing anything manually again."

I'm not sure I'm sold on having magic in there given that everything else is so tightly focused on technology...

bwblazerkid

Jul 29, 2019
On the note of raging, and gregtech, its simple. If you don't like it, dont use it. And yeah, the only way this would be possible is if some good time was spent on it by an experienced modder. Which, honestly, is not too much of a stretch with the amazing modding community that Minecraft has. Another idea I had for something like this, because it seems like world gen is one of the only really big problems to just get these mods to work together, a custom map designed using this setup in mind. It would have to be something like a basic Terrafirma World at first, once you work your way up to something, you may move on to a void world, or a preloaded world that has all the "vanilla" mod world gen. Then eventually work your way up from there, almost like a FTB map. This is something that would take lots of time, but might actually be possible without the need of another mod patching them all together. Also, this would allow for multiplayer much more balanced, because you couldnt really use it on a survival server, but you could easily play the map with a few people aaand on single player you could really treat it as a survival world, not a custom map. Ideas on this?

Belone

Jul 29, 2019

Well I agree, this would be an interesting idea, but I'd imagine given how much Terrafirma replaces vanilla it probably wouldn't be possible to do, as Mystcraft ages would just be like Terrafirma. You would probably need to rewrite Mystcraft to disable Terrafirma when in Ages, and this would probably be a crazy amount of work. Still it is a good idea.

bwblazerkid

Jul 29, 2019
Could you not just bring in a preloaded dimension from a pack without TFC? it would not need to load anything if it was a very large prelaoded area, but you are confined to a smaller portion, not allowing you to even load the furthest chunks

Also, multiple worlds would work with an idea i had of only having iron, tin, copper in the world, then the next one has all the ores besides gregtech, then the last has them all. this would allow for built in progression, but im not sure if it would be possible to do easily

EDIT: more detail: In the first mod world, you could progress up to things like iron furnaces, but still no way to multiply ores. At this stage you would be using Tinker's Construct, forestry, buildcraft etc. no rubber spawning**
Second World: you could progress further, possibly diamonds, maybe not depending on the recipes that use it. Lead, Silver, gold all come into play and you can now multiply ores and make machines using more like industrialcraft and thermal expansion.
Third World: All ores, this is the last of the worlds Now you can use gregtech, xycraft etc

All this might actually be possibly by loading world with certain mods but not others. I will be testing later to see if i can get this to work as i like, and then this might actually possibly, maybe be possible.

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest with you, I have never actually used TFC with any other mods so I have no idea how it works with others, I was just speculating.

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Last I heard TFC was supposed to be added to the FTB launcher. I don't know how many mods it will be compatible with though.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
TFC is being added to ftb, but as far as I know its stand alone. Maybe a minimap with it. Most mods are completely incompatible with it because of the major changes to world gen and ores.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

bwblazerkid

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of mods are compatible with it, but like I've stated before, it's just getting the resources. But that is kind of what would make this idea work better as a custom FTB type map.