A fond farewell

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm probably not going to be around any more. However, I really felt it deserved more than a single post on page thirtysomething of a thread. I wanted to pay my respects for the single most mature and responsible minecraft-based forum I have ever encountered. I wanted to thank the staff and especially the moderators, and I wanted to thank everyone else who made this place a great hangout.

Back in the day, I used to play Everquest. I started back in 1999. In 2004 when WoW came out and EQ2 tried to compete with it, EQ1 pretty much... umm... well, it didn't die, but it kind of festered. These days, it's just a DLC machine. Some online friends of mine quit as a guild, and this was posted. I'd like to share it, because it really hit me below the belt, and I think it adequately describes my feelings on leaving minecraft.

You know, part of me replaced those pictures, and I could name ever single scene in that collage from back in the day, with pictures from my minecraft experience. Back in beta, the 'not-alpha-but early-beta' worldgen, with Steve on a beach, as he begins to punch a tree. Some of the old Coe's Quest pictures, Castle Dogbone, CoeHQ, the oldschool mob spawner grinder. Then maybe some shots of the older mods, classic textures for IC and BC, the original Logistics Pipes... heck, even a couple of pictures of EE2. RP2, of course, my old RP2 sorting system with pipes running all over the place with glass covers so I could see the thing in action. Then continue going forward to the more modern era with Thermal Expansion and an AE network. But unfortunately, I fail at video editing.

Just to be clear, my decision is not based on any 'sky falling' prophecy of doom, it is because I have about the same opinion that CPW has about Microsoft. I simply do not wish to contribute to a Microsoft project ever again. I hope those who decide to stay will be rewarded with a game that is even more enjoyable.

I don't blame Notch. Not one bit. He's a coder, not a CEO. He doesn't have the skillset, and frankly doesn't have the worldview, to effectively run a company. This whole thing blew up way out of his ability to handle. It's just a shame that it had to be Microsoft he handed it off to. If Blizzard had taken it over, I'd have had much warmer feelings. But alas, such is life.

I've said my goodbyes. This is me, walking off into the sunset as the credits start to roll. Back turned to the screen so people can't see that I've... umm... got something in my eye.

/stop
sudo unmount e:/Minecraft
[sudo] password for ShneekeyTheLost: []
Done
sudo reformat e:/
y

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Man, this sucks...and all of this happened over the course of one week.

Take it easy Shneeky. See you in... Landmark? EQNext?

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I got that feeling of loss all over again. We will miss you! Come back for the holidays!

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Lumaceon

Popular Member
Jul 23, 2014
Not Kansas
... This is me, walking off into the sunset as the credits start to roll. Back turned to the screen so people can't see that I've... umm... got something in my eye.
I'LL GET IT! *Smacks Shneekey in the face with a frying pan*
Better?

...but in all seriousness, sorry to see you go. Tastes change, everyone will likely move on eventually. It's just that for some it'll take 20+ years and for others, an event such as this one. I wish you good luck, wherever life may take you.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
You will be greatly missed, Shneekey. I still have your mod guides, painstakingly copied into written books in-game, sitting on my library shelves; they shall be treasured as the rare and valuable works of a master.... and a friend.

Reactions: pc_assassin

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
You will be greatly missed, Shneekey. I still have your mod guides, painstakingly copied into written books in-game, sitting on my library shelves; they shall be treasured as the rare and valuable works of a master.... and a friend.

I'm not an emotional guy usually but I teared up at this. He will be missed

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Dorque

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Cya man, happy gaming.
Sad to see people go, but then when I look at how I'm playing Minecraft myself these days, I no longer touch vanilla because the heyday of the basic Minecraft game is over. The game industry has been very quiet over the last couple of years (especially considering I don't play FPS games), but it's just a matter of time until something new comes along and I'll be moving on as well. On the positive side if it weren't for Feed The Beast stuff my Minecraft days would have been well and truly over already.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
It's a shame to see you go before it does or doesn't all go to shit. But hey, in any case, GG, No RE. Hope to see you again, mehaps via steam? Y'know, if you wanna chat with any of us.