A couple RotaryCraft questions.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
For example for Liquid Distillator I triple-checked every single page in the handbook. If it is not in the current version (18b in the latest Monster), I'm sorry for that, but I'm not going to mess with the pack. Even updating from recommended version to the latest one kinda messed up some configs.
The other question was about the input of the fuel engine, I asked it because I remember the bug with flywheel - the game didn't show any output while it had one.
Those two were oversights that have been fixed.

The purpose of fuel engine I know, but didn't tried to add water.
It has a water tank that is currently unused.

It still acts kinda weird for me since loading it with fuel via engine controller doesn't work for the version from the latest pack and I also tried to load it via that input and that doesn't work either so for now it's either fuel input or engine controller :) Maybe it's fixed in later version, though.
I fixed it yesterday.

Pulse jet furnace CAN cook steel, but it's quite hard to do because of the issue I described - it has to be at 900+ degrees, but with water supply it only heats up to 873 and without water it explodes. I guess you can just cook it one at a time or something. And it can't sit on heater since it's powered from the bottom.
This is one potential application of the clutch.

And steam engines are basically free energy.
At 2RF/t, knock yourself out.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you Reika.
At 2RF/t, knock yourself out.
Well, yeah. But it's enough power to run a grinder to triple my ores. I'm at very beginning - yesterday I just made steel TiCo tools with some enhancements.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Thank you Reika.

Well, yeah. But it's enough power to run a grinder to triple my ores. I'm at very beginning - yesterday I just made steel TiCo tools with some enhancements.
That is kind of unsettling, actually, to learn that the grinder is that cheap on power, given its ore duplication abilities. That said, it is far more resource-intensive and - at that power - far slower than other methods.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Well, of course you need electric current or another magnet, but I don't think you have to disassemble your engine, pull out the rotor and use some device to magnetize it.

Strongly suggest you read up on how dynamos worked back when we first started producing electricity ;) Although to be fair it was DC at the time; strictly speaking, an AC generator is a magneto. But all that aside, one way or another it absolutely does require magnetization.[DOUBLEPOST=1394631434][/DOUBLEPOST]
That is kind of unsettling, actually, to learn that the grinder is that cheap on power, given its ore duplication abilities. That said, it is far more resource-intensive and - at that power - far slower than other methods.
Well, it could be likened to the Quartz Grindstone from AE at that point; yeah, it'll increase your ores for very little "power cost", but hopefully you've got all day.

To expand on that just slightly, I'm not about to run any numbers but I'm almost certain I could gather 3x the ore in less time than that method would take to triple the return.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I used other methods... quite a lot before, so I tried something that's new for me. I'm going to set up an automatic farm next to make ethanol.
Strongly suggest you read up on how dynamos worked back when we first started producing electricity ;) Although to be fair it was DC at the time; strictly speaking, an AC generator is a magneto. But all that aside, one way or another it absolutely does require magnetization.
Well modern AC engines are mostly induction engines and they don't require any additional magnetization. And AFAIK modern permanent magnets also don't demagnetize fast enough for it to be noticeable enough.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Well, it could be likened to the Quartz Grindstone from AE at that point; yeah, it'll increase your ores for very little "power cost", but hopefully you've got all day.
To expand on that just slightly, I'm not about to run any numbers but I'm almost certain I could gather 3x the ore in less time than that method would take to triple the return.
This is a very good point.

Reactions: Dorque

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
This is a very good point.
It's nice to have that sort of scalable option in some cases, too. I play on a very small private server run off one of my friend's computers; with 3+ people online it can get pretty difficult to go out mining. There's no problem though with puttering around the base and allowing processes like this to run.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
It's nice to have that sort of scalable option in some cases, too. I play on a very small private server run off one of my friend's computers; with 3+ people online it can get pretty difficult to go out mining. There's no problem though with puttering around the base and allowing processes like this to run.
You just hit on one of the most important reasons for ore duplication - servers where the map quickly becomes depleted of ore.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
You just hit on one of the most important reasons for ore duplication - servers where the map quickly becomes depleted of ore.
I was thinking more from a lag standpoint, but that's true too although there are several mods that address that in different ways. If you're playing a mod (or set of mods like your suite) in a "pure" environment, it can absolutely be necessary.

I end up being the one administrating the server and troubleshooting most of the time, so I tend to look at a lot of things from a perspective of how much strain they add to or take away from the server. I'm far and away less concerned about people being able to triple their ores than the question of how doing so affects server stability; if it means people are spending less time running all over the map and more time working with a compact and mostly lag-free machine system, I'm all for it.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Well modern AC engines are mostly induction engines and they don't require any additional magnetization. And AFAIK modern permanent magnets also don't demagnetize fast enough for it to be noticeable enough.
You're absolutely right about that, but I think of Rotarycraft as generally being at more of an Industrial Revolution era, in terms of the technology being used in the early stages of the mod (putting aside the fact that even the most basic machines use HSLA steel, anyway =P)

The concepts in the mod are a little obtuse for me so I haven't gone too far into it; I think it's a great mod, I've just never been particularly skilled at mechanical engineering.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Dunno if this is properly on-topic, but I did something entirely silly with DC electric engines last night.

I wanted to automate a large farm with just a few DC engines. I rigged up some projectred circuits (timer, pulser, repeater) in such a way that 4 dc engines (very slowly) built up charge in a coil, and then once very couple minutes, expended all that charge in a high-speed, decent torque blast of fans, so that I could harvest full rows (32 range) of crops.

This took me 2 hours to figure out because I'm terrible with projred circuitry. And really I could have just set up an array of way more DC engines. But...they're sort of cheaty? Challenge more or less accepted and overcome :p

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I should mention that, if anyone else tries this, its Very Important to ensure you expend all your coil's charge every pass, or put in an overcharge safeguard, or else charge something else (like a TE energy cell) instead. Otherwise you'll eventually craterize your farm.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
You're absolutely right about that, but I think of Rotarycraft as generally being at more of an Industrial Revolution era, in terms of the technology being used in the early stages of the mod (putting aside the fact that even the most basic machines use HSLA steel, anyway =P)

The concepts in the mod are a little obtuse for me so I haven't gone too far into it; I think it's a great mod, I've just never been particularly skilled at mechanical engineering.
I guess there're different stages of RC - it has at the same time steam engines, gasoline engines, gas turbines and laser guns, light bridges and other sci-fi stuff :)
I like the mod and I was interested in cool setups built by other people. It's kinda funny, though, that even Reika himself uses TE and Mek for power transfer... I guess RC power transfer and especially splitting the power between consumers might be quite hard. I have in ming that one could make a jet-powered base and transfer fuel, not shaft power. Though, long spin-up periods may be a bit of an issue,
BTW, long spindown times for reciprocation engines might be quite unrealistic because I beleive they tend to stop quite fast when shut down.

Pyure, how many DC engines do you have? Do you understand that they are even less powerful than BuildCraft redstone engines?

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Toronto's just around the corner, one of these days I'll go hold Reika hostage until he teaches me how to use RotaryCraft. And makes GeoStratum stone go in Forestry backpacks =P

Reactions: PonyKuu and Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Pyure, how many DC engines do you have? Do you understand that they are even less powerful than BuildCraft redstone engines?
For my current 32x3 farm, 4 DC engines.

I'm not sure if I can add another column; haven't done the math.

Its important to note that they're not running the fans full time. The timer ensures they are simply building up a trickle of charge for a period, say 2 minutes, at which point they activate the fans and dump out all that built up charge.

Yes, they're weak as hell, but theoretically I could create an array of hundreds of the darn things shaft-junctioned together to create free power :( <-- me sad.

Mathematically, are they really even worse than a redstone engine? lol if so.[DOUBLEPOST=1394635580][/DOUBLEPOST]
Toronto's just around the corner, one of these days I'll go hold Reika hostage until he teaches me how to use RotaryCraft. And makes GeoStratum stone go in Forestry backpacks =P
I'm also just around the corner from TO. I have some questions about reactorcraft that need answerin'...

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I'm also just around the corner from TO. I have some questions about reactorcraft that need answerin'...

We have your mod developer. He will be returned unharmed when the following demands are met.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Well, gasoline engine is roughly a BC stirling engine in terms of power. DC engine produces 64 times less power than gasoline one while Redstone engine produces 20 times less power than stirling one, so yep, it's more than 3x stronger than DC engine :)
I find your idea quite interesting, but AFAIR steam engine is enough to run a fan. That might have changed since I tested that last time, though. Steam engines are basically free power, too, and I like their sound much more than DC engine sound :3

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well, gasoline engine is roughly a BC stirling engine in terms of power. DC engine produces 64 times less power than gasoline one while Redstone engine produces 20 times less power than stirling one, so yep, it's more than 3x stronger than DC engine :)
I find your idea quite interesting, but AFAIR steam engine is enough to run a fan. That might have changed since I tested that last time, though. Steam engines are basically free power, too, and I like their sound much more than DC engine sound :3
Ugh, yeah, thank goodness for muffler blocks :|

Ya know, the redstone engine/dc engine comparison thing should be sort of testable. Send both outputs into energy cells and see who wins the race. I assume redstone engines send current into a cell? I actually have no idea, never tested it.

Too bad I'm at work.[DOUBLEPOST=1394636436][/DOUBLEPOST]Edited: also I'm not excited about setting up 1 steam engine per fan if that's the actual ratio, bleh.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Ugh, yeah, thank goodness for muffler blocks :|

Ya know, the redstone engine/dc engine comparison thing should be sort of testable. Send both outputs into energy cells and see who wins the race. I assume redstone engines send current into a cell? I actually have no idea, never tested it.
Or you can just look at the handbook :3
Redstone engine is 1 Mj/second and then you can just look at the conversion ratio and figure out the rest.
Edited: also I'm not excited about setting up 1 steam engine per fan if that's the actual ratio, bleh.
And one extra to pump the water to all of them :3
I kinda like that setup and I think steam engines are rather cheap. Well, I guess they're cheaper than DC ones + industrial coils.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Or you can just look at the handbook :3
Redstone engine is 1 Mj/second and then you can just look at the conversion ratio and figure out the rest.

And one extra to pump the water to all of them :3
I kinda like that setup and I think steam engines are rather cheap. Well, I guess they're cheaper than DC ones + industrial coils.
Cheaper resource-wise, more expensive fuel wise.

Um, unless I count the fact that I have to gear up the rad/s which costs lubricant. Argh. Still cheaper fuel wise though :p