[16x] Isabella II: FTB Edition

Gnomeo

Jul 29, 2019
For contributors: the unstitched files are now a pending pull request to the main repo. Some review is necessary to make sure we have all the textures covered, but at least we will all have access.

Thanks again to ScottKillen for the git halp.

For fans: Moving along, one step at a time.

Reactions: ScottKillen

Ottosonic

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome, people are back. One thing about Thaumcraft, I have almost all the textures un-stitched I just don't know how to deliver. Any help would be cool, thanks!

ScottKillen

Jul 29, 2019
Ottosonic,

If you will be a regular contributor, take a look at this post and see if that helps. If you just want to deposit some images, you can send them to me, Frederikam, or Gnomeo.

Thank you!

Ottosonic

Jul 29, 2019
Ah thanks, I took a look at the post and found it pretty helpful. The git process looks like it would be easier but i'm sort of consumed by other texturing at the moment. How should I send you the files?

Gnomeo

Jul 29, 2019
I took the 1.4.7 textures and ran them through the unstitcher. If you have texture files already this will only serve to fill in any gaps you may have. Its only purpose us to save time creating new individual files if you don't already have them.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
I took the 1.4.7 textures and ran them through the unstitcher. If you have texture files already this will only serve to fill in any gaps you may have. Its only purpose us to save time creating new individual files if you don't already have them.

Oh, now I see what you meant with "unstiched files". Which software are you using?

Also I was wondering what the .psd files contain. I don't have photoshop.

Gnomeo

Jul 29, 2019
The unstitcher is java, I think, I found it in the Soartex team's thread on these forums (I linked to it in a previous post here).

I use GIMP, so I don't know what the .psd files contain.

ScottKillen

Jul 29, 2019
The psd files are:
  1. Isabella Classic to Isabella II.psd - Bonemouse' file to convert isabella 1 textures to Isabella 2. (applies brightness +25, contrast -15 and recolors all stone yellowing the hue)
  2. Isabella II to Isabella Classic.psd - Opposite of #1
  3. Isabella GUI.psd - Layered file containing all vanilla GUIs
Try this : psd2xcf

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I see. I was able to convert the gui file to .psb and then install GIMP to open it. Very layered indeed.

Oh and by the way should i create a fork for what work I will be doing? I don't want to overwrite files.

MrAndrew420

Jul 29, 2019
I have the week off from work, and my daughter is with her mom, so its time to do some shiz!

Starting work on BoP since it looks like it will be the biome mod of choice from now on, and world gen is always my first concern.
One of the first biomes I noticed is the alpha biome (or whatever it is... the one that looks like early MC). I had the thought of using the Isabella I textures here as a nod to where this pack started, but it just makes the grass a bit darker.
Kinda lame.
So, should I leave those to look seriously out of place by keeping to the vanilla textures (which will maintain the look the biome is supposed to have), or do something else? Those who are reading this will surely be using it more than I will since I never play FTB, so I'd like to know what you think about this one.

Gnomeo

Jul 29, 2019
I like the idea of leaving Origin Valley as its default textures, but I'm sure they'll be an eyesore when next to other biomes done in Isabella. Perhaps use the main Isabella textures, but add some more color and find some sort of happy medium?

Reactions: MrAndrew420

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
I never really liked the alpha textures, but maybe we can have a bit "minecraft alpha grass green"-ish or grass from the original lsabella.

Gnomeo

Jul 29, 2019
Not exactly. We have 1.4.7 textures that have been separated into individual files per the new 1.5 texture rules. Unfortunately, some files are erroneous (Railcraft's items have a white background, for example), and some new textures will still need to be made (new content, new mods, etc.).

Instead of recreating each new texture file, we need to review the ones in the Unstitched folder and fill in the gaps. The unstitcher did nothing to GUIs and mob textures, for example, so those will need to be copied over from 1.4.7. The only thing the unstitcher did was take the spritesheets and break them apart so that there is one file per 16x16 square.

To explain further: I've been reviewing and repairing Forestry this past week. In 1.4.7 the Apiarist's Chest was a 6-sided shape that Minecraft folded to create the proper image. In 1.5 it becomes 6 individual files, but some of the sides need to be rotated to be vertical in the new file (they were upside-down or sideways in the 1.4.7 version). On the other hand, the textures for the ores and many of the items are straightforward and require no work apart from reviewing the unstitched file.

Gnomeo

Jul 29, 2019
The first task is to pick a mod to review. From there you compare the unstitched files to the current mod texture setup. You will need at the very least to copy over from our 1.4.7 version the GUIs and mob textures, if any. Essentially, you're checking to make sure that we have a properly-named texture file for each block and item. I've noticed a few wonky folders, but the unstitcher has been very helpful so far.

As I went over the bees yesterday (which are different now, because the item textures are animated), it occurred to me that once we get the first pass done we can have some real fun with the animations, since we could make a furnace's fire move as it cooks, for example.

Reactions: ScottKillen