1.8 Vanilla Enchanting

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I guess those mods that consumes only exp for enchanting would probably stay the same if they can code around it.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RedBoss

frederic

Jul 29, 2019
well there goes my vanilla world now i'm gonna play modded only digging out giant areas without efficiency 5 haste 2 is tedious as hell and i don't wantto spend a stakc of gold or so on a pick...

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I'm surprised how many people have issues with gold. I play with standard vanilla ore spawn rates, not boosted like most FTB packs, and gold is one of those things that always piles up uselessly in the storage chests. Even in heavily modded environments.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, looking at the modded minecraft experience, most packs have both the resources and materials covered. It will probably affect vanilla players more.
I mean, mob spawner farms will be rendered kind of useless when only 3 levels of experience is consumed out of 30. While gold, which is a finite* resource, is now required for playing a rng game with the enchantment table.
*Finite, as in, they do not have access to automated ways to mine as well as other forms of ore generating mechanics.

frederic

Jul 29, 2019
I'm surprised how many people have issues with gold. I play with standard vanilla ore spawn rates, not boosted like most FTB packs, and gold is one of those things that always piles up uselessly in the storage chests. Even in heavily modded environments.
PvP servers... golden apples take 72 each so yeah

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
While I love the fact that they are at least looking to IMPROVE enchanting, the whole 'gold ingot cost' part is what really concerns me. In modded Minecraft, Gold is already used as a recipe component for more expensive parts / machines specifically to 'gate' players access to those things. Making enchanting require gold is just going to make it even more scarce, right?

Make what more scarce, gold or enchanting? Ever since I got into modded Minecraft I can count on one hand the number of times I've bothered with vanilla enchants, and have 5 fingers left over. And no, I did not kill Inigo Montoya's father. I lament the lack of XP's use as a resource in mods. I've also never built an XP farm, not even an MFR one even though that is one of my must have mods. So for players who play like me this won't make gold any more scarce, that much is certain.

I mean, mob spawner farms will be rendered kind of useless when only 3 levels of experience is consumed out of 30. While gold, which is a finite* resource, is now required for playing a rng game with the enchantment table.
*Finite, as in, they do not have access to automated ways to mine as well as other forms of ore generating mechanics.

'Cept for those very same mob spawners. Zombie Pigmen drop what now? ;)

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
While I love the fact that they are at least looking to IMPROVE enchanting, the whole 'gold ingot cost' part is what really concerns me. In modded Minecraft, Gold is already used as a recipe component for more expensive parts / machines specifically to 'gate' players access to those things. Making enchanting require gold is just going to make it even more scarce, right?

Where is anything scarce in modded mincraft? I would think this added cost doesn't really change hardly anything for most players, other than those playing unhinged or a similar pack maybe.

edit: eh, looks like others have already said this. Would also +1 that enchanted items overall are used less in modded minecraft. So this change really shouldnt bother anyone playing ftb at all.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

If you go back and read the original post by Jeb, he says that they are just using gold for now to test things. This cost will probably change before 1.8 goes live, although it could go either way, more or less expensive.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
If you go back and read the original post by Jeb, he says that they are just using gold for now to test things. This cost will probably change before 1.8 goes live, although it could go either way, more or less expensive.
I completely missed that detail, thanks!

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like a less efficient and less orky version of T-Con's tool modding system, good thing T-Con is quickly rendering vanilla enchanting completely and thoroughly useless anyway.

Reactions: PierceSG

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Mojang doesn't seem to care about the modded minecraft scene. As they should. It's their job to make a good game, it's a modders job to mod the good game if they so choose.

Not sure that's true. Mojang acknowledge that modded minecraft extends the life of their (core) product for many users.

You just have to look at Dinnerbone and Grumm's association with the Mindcrack crew -- and how often suggestions make their way back into the Vanilla game. Or mods for that matter. Most recently vanilla hoppers, new biomes etc are inspired by their modded counterparts

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
H
Not sure that's true. Mojang acknowledge that modded minecraft extends the life of their (core) product for many users.

You just have to look at Dinnerbone and Grumm's association with the Mindcrack crew -- and how often suggestions make their way back into the Vanilla game. Or mods for that matter. Most recently vanilla hoppers, new biomes etc are inspired by their modded counterparts
horses were MADE by DrZhark himself in vanila,so yeah

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Tinker's Construct, Thaumcraft, Modular Powersuits, Nano/Quantum armor. Why would you use vanilla enchanting in modded minecraft? In my 1.47 and 1.52 worlds I installed Enchanting Plus, just because the vanilla mechanic is so bad, but I never used it. My opinion, for what it's worth, is just get rid of XP altogether, and incorporate something different. Tinker's method of tiered weapons, along with a more reasonable repair and upgrade path seems to fit best into vanilla, but honestly my only concern about the base game these days is the extent to which updates break mods.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Tinker's Construct, Thaumcraft, Modular Powersuits, Nano/Quantum armor. Why would you use vanilla enchanting in modded minecraft? In my 1.47 and 1.52 worlds I installed Enchanting Plus, just because the vanilla mechanic is so bad, but I never used it. My opinion, for what it's worth, is just get rid of XP altogether, and incorporate something different. Tinker's method of tiered weapons, along with a more reasonable repair and upgrade path seems to fit best into vanilla, but honestly my only concern about the base game these days is the extent to which updates break mods.
Thaumcraft and some IC2 stuff can be enchanted...

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Blood Magic tools.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Looks... interesting? If it's less grindy and random than the current system, I'm all for it.

As for gold being too pricey/cheap, didn't the thing say that's just what they're using at the moment? It might change in the future. Barring that, I'm sure some modder will come up with a way to change the price anyway. :p

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Looks... interesting? If it's less grindy and random than the current system, I'm all for it.
Sadly, it's not. It now costs gold and you see one possible enchant. Contrary to popular belief, enhancing costs are exactly the same exp-wise.

It really only affects enchanted books, and we modded players have waaaaaaay better things to spend leather on.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
UHC is gonna be awful

and the enchantment doesn't change until you enchant an item? please no.

its both infinite and automatically renewable in vanilla

pigmen drop gold
pigmen spawn in portals even without players around and ignore the mobcap
make a portal-pigmen farm at spawn chunks
leave your server running
???
profit

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Well, yeah. I forvot about that. Have not pkayed with vanilla mechanics for far too long.