1.8 MC on the near horizon?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
1.8 MC may be going to pre-release this week!

I hope the 1.7 packs make it out of the starting gate so we can enjoy them while waiting for the newest stuff and playing with the 1.9 snapshots.

[Edit] Tried to link Dinnerbone's tweet but Twitter isn't cooperating...

[Edit 2] Ok, my bad... links fine as a "link", not as "media" :confused: Here's Jeb's tweet:

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/501289926248648704

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
To me, the only FTB update that really matters is 1.8 (because of the improved graphics processing algorithms that Mojang has recently done).

1.7 is sort of like an "interim" upgrade in my eyes. Yeah I'll be excited, but not to the same level of excitement as when we finally get some 1.8 packs (in a few years lol).

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
To me, the only FTB update that really matters is 1.8 (because of the improved graphics processing algorithms that Mojang has recently done).

1.7 is sort of like an "interim" upgrade in my eyes. Yeah I'll be excited, but not to the same level of excitement as when we finally get some 1.8 packs (in a few years lol).

Minecraft seems to be following kind of the same update pattern as Windows... one version is great and everyone loves it and the next version sucks ding dongs
sure, it brings in some new stuff, but also brings up alot of new bugs
then comes a version that fixes alot of the problem and soon after another awesome version comes out
but ofcourse after that, the next ding dong version comes up

never really planned on staying at 1.7 too long myself, I just find 1.7 really really buggy

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe by the time the 1.8 packs come out, I will finally be tired of the 1.6 ones.

Reactions: psp

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I don't even know if I will be going to 1.7. I have nowhere near even gotten bored of the 1.6.4 packs and still haven't even added half the mods I want to add. From what I hear 1.7 seems to be extremely buggy on chunkloading even though there is a mod called fastcraft or something that supposedly fixes it, I still would not want to play on it because of the fact that I've heard that mojang even said chunkloading in 1.7 is broken.

Not only that but IIRC some mods are skipping 1.7 entirely and are just waiting for 1.8. This is another reason I do not want to update to 1.7. Personally I cannot wait to see what 1.8 brings to the modding community. I really would like to hear some news on the modding API and whatnot.

atomicgermx69

Jul 29, 2019
I understand were you are coming from Bigpak ...am hoping the FTB 1.7 packs offer something really different to want the player base to move to 1.7 until 1.8......... I hear a lot on my servers PLL are just wanting to wait for 1.8 and keep playing 1.6 until then . I do plan to move a couple server over to 1.7 but you bet am saving the 1.6 worlds just in case the player base don't like it and want to go back to 1.6 ....am hoping its not like Windows update like Yusunoha was saying remember when most went back to XP until update windows 7;)

Reactions: MigukNamja

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
Methinks all the 1.6~1.8 changes (mobs, blocks) have just been to appease the vannila players. What do you think they would do if mojang just released 1.9 and said " yeah, we don't have much for you, but we made life easier for the modded players!"

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Methinks all the 1.6~1.8 changes (mobs, blocks) have just been to appease the vannila players. What do you think they would do if mojang just released 1.9 and said " yeah, we don't have much for you, but we made life easier for the modded players!"

What they should do is balance it out with a bit of both to appease both sides. However on the modded side we haven't gotten much of anything to help us out except for the ID thing in 1.7 maybe.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Oh, but the ID thing is huge.

TBH, my vanilla server has been quite.. quiet as of late due to folk waiting for next version.
That's why I started a DW20 server to keep folks interested while they wait.
When the new vanilla drops, we'll all be on it... but then come back to the DW20 server.
I plan to keep it 1.6.4 for as long as possible, as a lot of the new versions of some of my favourite mods are changing quite drastically, and I'm not quite done with the 1.6.4 versions yet!
(It helps the folks playing on the server are totally new to modded MC and are in over their heads as is.. wouldn't want to drop 1.7.x modded MC on them.. yet... LOL)

Reactions: pizzawolf14

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, but the ID thing is huge.

TBH, my vanilla server has been quite.. quiet as of late due to folk waiting for next version.
That's why I started a DW20 server to keep folks interested while they wait.
When the new vanilla drops, we'll all be on it... but then come back to the DW20 server.
I plan to keep it 1.6.4 for as long as possible, as a lot of the new versions of some of my favourite mods are changing quite drastically, and I'm not quite done with the 1.6.4 versions yet!
(It helps the folks playing on the server are totally new to modded MC and are in over their heads as is.. wouldn't want to drop 1.7.x modded MC on them.. yet... LOL)

I like you. Very good server administrator/owner :)

Reactions: pizzawolf14

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I don't even know if I will be going to 1.7. I have nowhere near even gotten bored of the 1.6.4 packs and still haven't even added half the mods I want to add. From what I hear 1.7 seems to be extremely buggy on chunkloading even though there is a mod called fastcraft or something that supposedly fixes it, I still would not want to play on it because of the fact that I've heard that mojang even said chunkloading in 1.7 is broken.

Not only that but IIRC some mods are skipping 1.7 entirely and are just waiting for 1.8. This is another reason I do not want to update to 1.7. Personally I cannot wait to see what 1.8 brings to the modding community. I really would like to hear some news on the modding API and whatnot.

I tried playing 1.7 yesterday, the game kept freezing up and I was just like "ain't got time for this sh!t"
though my problem is that I've gotten bored of 1.6 but don't want to move to 1.7

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I tried playing 1.7 yesterday, the game kept freezing up and I was just like "ain't got time for this sh!t"
though my problem is that I've gotten bored of 1.6 but don't want to move to 1.7
Was that with the FastCraft mod?

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
1.8 MC may be going to pre-release this week!

I hope the 1.7 packs make it out of the starting gate so we can enjoy them while waiting for the newest stuff and playing with the 1.9 snapshots.

Ah you want 1.7 so you can play while you wait for 1.8 and then you can play 1.8 while you wait for 1.9? :D

Reactions: RedBoss

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
yup, the fastcraft mod did improve it, but still there was too much freezing and game not keeping up
Ouch. I have found each minecraft version has been more heavy on performance, had to upgrade my PC a while back (was due) since I struggled with 1.5.x, but was fine with 1.2.5 and okish with 1.4.7.

Reactions: RedBoss

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Modded players don't pay the bills. If I were Mojang, I'd invest very little in appeasing modders too.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Modded players don't pay the bills. If I were Mojang, I'd invest very little in appeasing modders too.

Thank goodness Mojang isn't as closed-minded as your suggestion is. In order to play "modded" minecraft, you need to purchase the vanilla game - so the two are not mutually exclusive, exactly the opposite.

triblades

Jul 29, 2019
I think 'modded players' are the die hard fans who keep (the) MC (community) alive. If I would be Mojang I would do anything to please them.

You think new players buy Minecraft because they saw it on the news? No, that's years ago. New players buy the game because they hear/saw it from friends. And I personally think most of those 'friends' are 'modded' players.

So, indirectly, they dó pay the bills.

Edit:
(kinda) On-topic; Anyone knows from the snapshots if conversion between 1.7 and 1.8 is easy and/or no so hard as 1.6 -> 1.7? The easier it is, the faster we get updated packs from our beloved Modpack Creators. :D

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think 'modded players' are the die hard fans who keep (the) MC (community) alive. If I would be Mojang I would do anything to please them.

You think new players buy Minecraft because they saw it on the news? No, that's years ago. New players buy the game because they hear/saw it from friends. And I personally think most of those 'friends' are 'modded' players.

So, indirectly, they dó pay the bills.
Straw man argument.

In reality, advertising pays the bills. Modded community maintains a tiny fraction compared to the whole, and if vanilla players were getting into it because of their modding friends, they'd be mostly playing modded MC themselves (which evidently they aren't because, again, the modding community is relatively small)

This is all completely, pseudo-scientifically provable too: if modders paid the bills, they'd invest more in the modding community. They're not stupid :)