1.8 Infinity - what are we waiting for?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Anhrak

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm just wondering... slowly one by one, I'm seeing several mods getting updated to Minecraft 1.8x and refuse to do any further development on 1.7.10 (the golden version for minecraft modding, I have to add).

But what I'm wondering now is, what are we precisely waiting for to get the pack to Minecraft 1.8? Just curious.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Modpacks take time to test and balance. Just because some mods have moved to 1.8 doesn't mean that it is time to completely abandon 1.7. Several mods will always lead the charge in updating to a new version, and several more will linger behind, with still some never making the leap at all. This happens every time Minecraft makes a major version.

Take a look at the timeline from this last update. 1.6.4 was, at that time "the golden version for Minecraft modding" with many authors wondering if it would be worthwhile to update, as it meant they would have to rewrite large sections (or even all of) their code. A few were quick on the uptake, while many, including a few heavyweights, decided to use this chance to make some large changes (ie Thermal Dynamics). The pack makers had to see not only who had made the leap, but who was worth waiting for. The gap from 1.7 launch to Infinity was quite substantial, and it wasn't even the first pack put together on the new version.

Moral or my story? Trust these guys a little - its what they do, and it isn't their first rodeo. Don't rush them to put out product now only to say they half-assed it later. Be patient. In the meantime, try to assemble your own 1.8 pack to play with. Nothing is stopping you from being your own catalyst for the jump.

Reactions: Museli

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Modpacks take time to test and balance. Just because some mods have moved to 1.8 doesn't mean that it is time to completely abandon 1.7. Several mods will always lead the charge in updating to a new version, and several more will linger behind, with still some never making the leap at all. This happens every time Minecraft makes a major version.

Take a look at the timeline from this last update. 1.6.4 was, at that time "the golden version for Minecraft modding" with many authors wondering if it would be worthwhile to update, as it meant they would have to rewrite large sections (or even all of) their code. A few were quick on the uptake, while many, including a few heavyweights, decided to use this chance to make some large changes (ie Thermal Dynamics). The pack makers had to see not only who had made the leap, but who was worth waiting for. The gap from 1.7 launch to Infinity was quite substantial, and it wasn't even the first pack put together on the new version.

Moral or my story? Trust these guys a little - its what they do, and it isn't their first rodeo. Don't rush them to put out product now only to say they half-assed it later. Be patient. In the meantime, try to assemble your own 1.8 pack to play with. Nothing is stopping you from being your own catalyst for the jump.

Don't forget that the mod developers also had to wait on "shim" software to be rewritten before they could even begin to update.

I use the term "shim" in the "adaptor" sense of the word. Programs such as MCP and Forge tie in to the Vanilla MC's code to provide the interface that modders use in their software. Modders have to wait for that software to be finished before they can start.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
MC update⇉ MC Coder pack⇉ Unstable Forge API{⇉ initial few mods}⇉ Stable Forge version ⇉ Few "big mods" port ⇉ Majority updates ⇉ Rudimentary unstable 3rd party packs ⇉ Unstable FTB packs ⇉Stable packs.
Time elapsed: ~12-18 months.

However a number of 'big' mods don't see 1.8 as update as viable/worthwhile. So anything significant for 1.8 packs won't happen for a while- if ever. Which is good as more dev time is available to invest on making 1.7 even more awesome. Also a lot of the 1.8/1.9 gameplay mechanics already exist or have been backported so 1.7 actually doesn't miss out on anything.
Its FINALLY got to the point where the tools and infrastructure is sufficiently developed to give us the ability to design some truly remarkable stuff- stuff that can only exist if given a stable foundation. Why change it?

If there is an update- given that 1.9 is around the corner, 1.8 will probably get skipped entirely- so I'd wager the next "FTBinfinity" on '16-18' months after 1.9 is released'.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Of course, word on twitter and Youtube from several sources like LexManos, Jadedcat, and Direwolf indicate that 1.8 mod development is accelerating and that we may even see a Forge2 server running 1.8 soon-ish (typical caveats apply) :D When this comes out Direwolf said he'll be starting a new Server Play video series.

There's already a 1.8 FtB modpack that's been out over a month called "Unstable" that has about 25 mods already.