1.7.x Packs Yet!? [Mindcrack/DW20/Ultimate/Lite/Horizons/Monster/Unleashed/Unhinged/Tech/Magic/etc]

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

agaricus

Jul 29, 2019
Youd have to pay close attention to every mod you want to update and what its compatible with until Mojang stops being sado masochist with its mod community and we can start tossing mods in from several versions back and not have massive retarded issues. SAFE WORD SAFE WORD

Well to be fair, Mojang is behind a rock and a hard place with Minecraft updates. The game was never originally meant to be used as a modding platform, but everyone built on it anyways. To shape it into a stable platform, underlying infrastructural changes have to be made, but these destabilize mods relying on internal implementation details (= all mods, since there is no well-defined interface for mods to hook into. The closest we have is Bukkit, but it is also unofficial, relies on patching Mojang code, and only supports the server-side. Forge supports both, but without the layer of insulation between interface/implementation as in Bukkit/CraftBukkit).

But some of these recent changes have me scratching your head, specifically the protocol and obfuscation incompatibilities introduced in 1.5.2. The 1.4.7/6 update did not have these incompatibilities, so why does 1.5.2/1? In reviewing the decompiled code, I couldn't find any obvious reason why they would choose to break compatibility. Asked around, found no answers. My guess is the reason somehow relates to Minecraft Realms, but it isn't clear.

However this incompatibility was becoming to be more and more of a problem for a project I was working on. We had a version for 1.5.1, working fairly well, but then once 1.5.2 dropped the question was forced: should we update to 1.5.2 and discontinue 1.5.1? Not update to 1.5.2 at all, stick on 1.5.1 until 1.6? Or branch to support 1.5.2 and 1.5.1? The project in question is the MCPC+ server implementation, and we actually still support 1.4.7 (especially for all you FTB folks) – supporting two branches 1.4/1.5 is difficult enough given our limited resources; adding a third branch, supporting 1.4.7/1.5.2/1.5.1 in separate codebases, coordinating changes between all the three branches, would be even more difficult and takeaway from real, much-needed bugfixing/development work.

Even worse, 1.5.2 is only a minor update. Not much actually changed code-wise from 1.5.1, especially on the server side. The compatibility problem is entirely brought on by several very specific incompatible changes from Mojang.

So I figured, why not simply revert the incompatibilities? Update MCPC+ to 1.5.2, with the latest Minecraft, Forge, and CraftBukkit upstream versions. Include all of the 1.5.2 changes, except for the obfuscation and version number changes.

This worked out better than expected. None of the 1.5.1 mods I tested with broke: they were running just fine on the 1.5.2 server, once I undid Mojang's mod-compatibility breakages.

Long story short, MCPC+ 1.5.2 is now built in two variants. The normal build (B), with the new incompatible changes from Mojang, and a special "151compat" build (C) without them. Both are built from the exact same code, and have all the latest 1.5.2 updates, with the exception of the obfuscation and version numbers changes – that's literally the only difference.

Personally I'm using the 151compat build, since not all mods I'm using have updated to 1.5.2 yet, nor are they all using srgnames for version-independence yet. But thankfully, since it is built from the same source, it receives all the same fixes and updates as the regular build.

Unfortunately, this strategy will not likely work across major Minecraft updates.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
IronChests2 is configured on the Jenkins build server for Minecraft Forge as a downstream project of MCPForge, so it rebuilds whenever a new version of Forge is built (411 was triggered by Forge 702, 410 by 701, so on). It acts as sort of a test project for the latest Forge, usually is the first mod to be ported to the experimental branches (for snapshots, etc.).

That would explain it

Also I understand about Mojangs predicament. I can only guess at what they are doing, but I really hope they are doing something in the area that is more than just an official API. Even if it meant totally breaking, and I mean really breaking every mod out there right now, if they actually designed the thing as a branch of Minecraft Classic to be made for modding, I think it would be for the best, or we will slowly and continuously lose mods like Redpower for no real good reason. Now coders like yourself can get clever and MakeItWork(TM) but as you said you still have the same issue the next time or it even wont work at all in a major update. So we are left with modders and normal people that just want to play the damn game with mods left with a large amount of work simply because Mojang wanted to add some horsies and secret other stuff that does more harm than good to those that want to mod. Sidenote: Did the original creatures mod break a dozen other mods? No, so what the hell is worth this that HAD to be added that does this each and every damn time that just couldn’t be made to have some compatibility? Many modders seem to now be spending more time having to make sure it runs in the game and fix the shit that broke than focus on new content or balancing their stuff or worse, considering skipping versions because its just too much of a pain in the ass

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised to see a release of the API in Minecraft 2.0 at Minecon this year. 1.6 seems to be a good step towards the API, bringing actual version independence (until they change core code in the next update -_-).

And this post seems really lame compared to all your elaborate reasoning above :(

Reactions: Bigglesworth

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
On a different subject, shaders are working pretty well in 1.5.2
7ThbxxA.jpg

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Secret Rooms sometimes crashed me on my Ultimate Instance.
Every other time I would open a world, I would crash from Secret Rooms hating on Mystcraft, even if I didn't make a single age in said world.

DrRed

Jul 29, 2019
Biggles, you should probably change 'More helpful lists' to 'More, helpful lists'.
Otherwise you are implying that they are better.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Secret Rooms sometimes crashed me on my Ultimate Instance.
Every other time I would open a world, I would crash from Secret Rooms hating on Mystcraft, even if I didn't make a single age in said world.
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, Secretrooms is updated for 1.5.x -
version 4.6.0
Nice, but looks like still buggy. Will hold off on Yes status.

IC2 Nuclear control is working in 1.5.2. Extra Bees updated to prerelease 8, also 1.5.2 ready.

Thanks. Changed Nuclear Control to Yes. However Extra Bees he still has no updated his website, and the spreadsheet updates off that. Will update to Yes when it gets to 'release' status.[DOUBLEPOST=1368917594][/DOUBLEPOST]
Biggles, you should probably change 'More helpful lists' to 'More, helpful lists'.
Otherwise you are implying that they are better.
Maybe they are :'(

Changed :)

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
The shaders I use just got a nice optional improvement.

qAaPjBt.jpg

y75bCrn.jpg

rVRHVT4.jpg

ZqfUZ1D.jpg

If anyone is playing around with the DoF I find
const float focal = 0.07;
float aperture = focal/14.0;
const float sizemult = 120.0;

to be more realistic.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
I see that they are wise with the BoP addition. Though I cant wait for EBXL to make a comeback. Competition between mods = better quality faster.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know which mod adds creepers riding on pigs:
hN3Geq7.png

It is a vanilla feature, but I don't think that vanilla spawns other combination than skeleton on spider. I wanted to keep it, but when I got wheat creeper got nervous. Except mods that were previously in FTB I'm using Ars Magica, Thaumic Tinkerer, TConstruct, Natura, DartCraft. I think that it could be Thaumic Tinkerer, this world has a while and I've never seen it before and Thaumic Tinkerer was the newest addition to it.

Zexmaxwell001

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for posting this. it gives the server admins some ammo to fire back at their player base.

Player: when will next patch come out?
Me: look at this link and make your own judgement.

DrRed

Jul 29, 2019