[1.7.10] Wanderlust Reloaded - Questing Adventure [Magic-Tech] [HQM - over 250 Quests] [Tabula Rasa]

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019
What @mrbaggins said and you changed the world gen engine, right? That's my guess. When I was moving stuff around in 1.6, it was all in the same world...which is prob why it worked for me.

"Entire taint biome next to me turned into quartz + fluix blocks"...I don't get how this is a bad thing.

Unrelated: Been trying to figure this out for a few days now and can't seem to wrap my head around it. How are we supposed to use the in-game IRC. I mean actually type something and have it appear in IRC, not the IRC settings.
Press Tab while chat menu.

Jashin

Jul 29, 2019
Hi there Yulife ! I've been following the thread ever since the release and I have enjoyed many hours of fun along with my brother on your modpack, so thanks a lot for all this :)

As some people pointed out in the last few pages, there definitely is something weird going with NEI. I get lag spikes of hell when I use it, but it seems a bit random : it seems that the recipe function is a lot lighter in terms of performance impact than the "Usage" function. The latter makes my PC kneel down for a few seconds, to the point it sometimes even crashes. This takes the form of a tremendous CPU usage (70%+), and I think it's the only time I've seen my CPU under such load : it's an i7-4790K overclocked at 4.8 GHz, so 70% usage is a huuuuuuge amount of power required for NEI.

It's not that important, but I would appreciate if you could investigate this issue and see if there's anything to do to make NEI work as it did in 1.6.4 or even in other modpacks. I'm ready to help you in any way I can by providing you logs or perf graphs, feel free to ask for them.

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019
Hi there Yulife ! I've been following the thread ever since the release and I have enjoyed many hours of fun along with my brother on your modpack, so thanks a lot for all this :)

As some people pointed out in the last few pages, there definitely is something weird going with NEI. I get lag spikes of hell when I use it, but it seems a bit random : it seems that the recipe function is a lot lighter in terms of performance impact than the "Usage" function. The latter makes my PC kneel down for a few seconds, to the point it sometimes even crashes. This takes the form of a tremendous CPU usage (70%+), and I think it's the only time I've seen my CPU under such load : it's an i7-4790K overclocked at 4.8 GHz, so 70% usage is a huuuuuuge amount of power required for NEI.

It's not that important, but I would appreciate if you could investigate this issue and see if there's anything to do to make NEI work as it did in 1.6.4 or even in other modpacks. I'm ready to help you in any way I can by providing you logs or perf graphs, feel free to ask for them.
I literally have no issue what could cause it.

Jashin

Jul 29, 2019
Is it linked to the total number of items in the modpack, or to some Minetweaker changes that would eventually snowball ? I don't know much about it, so these are just random guesses, but so far it's the only pack I've played where NEI becomes a dangerous power hog.

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019
Is it linked to the total number of items in the modpack, or to some Minetweaker changes that would eventually snowball ? I don't know much about it, so these are just random guesses, but so far it's the only pack I've played where NEI becomes a dangerous power hog.
You could make a test instance and remove Mine and Modtweaker and heavy mods that add many items (Binnie's) and see if it reduces the lag. Come back with reports :)

EPfencer

Jul 29, 2019
I just wanted to say thanks for putting in all the effort in making this pack! I love it! Having a lot of fun exploring all the different mods, and now that my exams are over, I can finally begin work on a bigger base and tie it al together. :)

Reactions: Yulife

Jashin

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, so I tried to create a test instance using MultiMC (it took some time because I had never used it and I had to figure out why the game wasn't loading : turned out Forge was missing...). I removed Binnie's mod, Minetweaker and Modtweaker along with a few other mods. The game was running fine, the recipe function was smooth, but the usage function crashed my game after a CPU usage at 90% on all 4 cores (8 logical cores). However, I noticed I only had about 1 Gb of RAM assigned to the instance (automatic setting, I didn't check it before launching).

So I set it at 3 Gb like I do in the FTB launcher and reloaded the game (no pun intended !). The recipe function was still fine, and this time the usage function worked. However, I'm still getting tremendous CPU usage and a sort of freeze for one to four seconds. When I mean increased CPU usage, it's really noticeable : while moving around and doing stuff, I'm sitting at about 15% of CPU usage, as soon as I press R it climbs up to 70%.

I will see if there's a way to get it working normally by culling half the mods, just to see if it's linked in any way to the sheer number of items. Seems weird though, since I have about 150 pages full of items on NEI, and I've had more than that on other modpacks that didn't lag with NEI. I'll continue my tests and report back to you !

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, so I tried to create a test instance using MultiMC (it took some time because I had never used it and I had to figure out why the game wasn't loading : turned out Forge was missing...). I removed Binnie's mod, Minetweaker and Modtweaker along with a few other mods. The game was running fine, the recipe function was smooth, but the usage function crashed my game after a CPU usage at 90% on all 4 cores (8 logical cores). However, I noticed I only had about 1 Gb of RAM assigned to the instance (automatic setting, I didn't check it before launching).

So I set it at 3 Gb like I do in the FTB launcher and reloaded the game (no pun intended !). The recipe function was still fine, and this time the usage function worked. However, I'm still getting tremendous CPU usage and a sort of freeze for one to four seconds. When I mean increased CPU usage, it's really noticeable : while moving around and doing stuff, I'm sitting at about 15% of CPU usage, as soon as I press R it climbs up to 70%.

I will see if there's a way to get it working normally by culling half the mods, just to see if it's linked in any way to the sheer number of items. Seems weird though, since I have about 150 pages full of items on NEI, and I've had more than that on other modpacks that didn't lag with NEI. I'll continue my tests and report back to you !
Actually, I think the NEI lag is normal. Did you test it with previous versions of the pack/other packs?

splashblue

Jul 29, 2019

I get these issues in almost all of the 1.7.10 packs - so it is likely the problem is on the MC/NEI/Forge side, not in this pack.
WLR just increases it by adding a quite heavy amount of mods/items.

Jashin

Jul 29, 2019
Finished my tests. I managed to get NEI working without lag simply by reducing the number of mods and now the usage function behaves the same as the recipe function. It definitely snowballs to the point of crippling NEI because of the sheer amount of recipes. So I guess there's no real workaround besides removing mods or turning off the usage function (I don't want it to melt my CPU when I'm running the server instance as well...)

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019
Finished my tests. I managed to get NEI working without lag simply by reducing the number of mods and now the usage function behaves the same as the recipe function. It definitely snowballs to the point of crippling NEI because of the sheer amount of recipes. So I guess there's no real workaround besides removing mods or turning off the usage function (I don't want it to melt my CPU when I'm running the server instance as well...)
Thanks for testing. Seems like it is an unfixable, then.

Jashin

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I doubt NEI can be further optimized, I guess there's just a threshold above which it simply can't handle everything. But the recipe function is fine, and I can live with the lag, I'll just try to use the U function a bit less now since my CPU only handle it for so long. Thanks again for the modpack and for making yourself available on the forum. It's great to know that you're actively supporting your work !

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I doubt NEI can be further optimized, I guess there's just a threshold above which it simply can't handle everything. But the recipe function is fine, and I can live with the lag, I'll just try to use the U function a bit less now since my CPU only handle it for so long. Thanks again for the modpack and for making yourself available on the forum. It's great to know that you're actively supporting your work !
Hehe... partly! The pack is really time consuming and I hardly have time since the recent time, as you might have noticed. Life > Games, sadly.

theukoctopus

Jul 29, 2019
Been playing on a private server, and loving this pack! One question: is there a particular reason for using the IC2 forcefield mod opposed to Calclavia's version?

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019
Been playing on a private server, and loving this pack! One question: is there a particular reason for using the IC2 forcefield mod opposed to Calclavia's version?
Sorry, what? If you are asking why I am using Cal's MFFS instead of the EU version is because it is much more innovative and pwetty. Plus I don't really like IC2 addons, keke.

sigaming

Jul 29, 2019
obsidian sword + sharpness V book in an anvil crashes the game and eats the sword and the book. repeated it to be sure and yes now wonderlust has easten 2 obsidian swords and 2 sharpness v books

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019
obsidian sword + sharpness V book in an anvil crashes the game and eats the sword and the book. repeated it to be sure and yes now wonderlust has easten 2 obsidian swords and 2 sharpness v books
It is Wanderlust. Plus that crash is known.