[1.7.10] Void of Magic/Tech: A world torn in two [0.3.2] [2016-09-19] [Discontinued]

Would you join a pair of servers running this pack if someone else set them up?

• No, your modpack looks stupid and you should feel stupid!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
Looking for testers!
This modpack is young and needs to be tested thoroughly.
I (Robijnvogel) am only one person and on top of that a student, so I do not have a lot of time for this. My friend Insanitypie, who helped me with the idea behind this modpack doesn't have a lot of time either.
That is why I am asking everyone reading this, if they'd like to test the pack for us.
The release that is currently out is a beta. That means that no mods will be removed for a long while and that new mods will have retrogen enabled by default.
This means that you can just play this modpack and call yourself a beta-tester. Pretty cool, right?
But lets continue with the actual content of the modpack for now:

Introduction
Welcome to the worlds of "Voidof".
The lands of Voidof used to be a place where technology and magic lived happily together and both prospered. Well, this used to be the case before king Technomancer died of happiness. Happiness is a horrible and terminal disease that his sons, Mystic and Logic did not seem to suffer from.

Mystic and Logic were terribly unhappy with the way things were handled in their land and, as you may already have guessed, their opinions did not match. Mystic was tired of all the technological gadgeteering and inventorizing, while Logic took little pleasure in all the magical mumbojumbo. Luckily, wisdom was one of the traits that the sons DID inherit from their father, so they soon saw that fact that they now had to rule the state together could drive them apart. As both brothers loved each other, they sought desperately for a way to compromise, but no matter how hard they searched, their ventures were fruitless. In the end the boys got so desperate that they turned to the ruler of a neighbouring country, the one their father had always explicitly taught them to be wary of, for a solution.

Like so many times before, when sons don't listen to their father, this resulted in a disaster. The books are unclear as to what exatly happened, but the result was that the land of Voidof was torn in two so drastically, that it ripped into two separate worlds entirely. One of these worlds was stripped of the greater part of its magic potential, while complex machinery was the one thing that just wouldn't work in the other one anymore. Both brothers were stranded in either of both worlds, without the means to reach one another.

The rift between these two worlds had become immesurably vast, in such a way, that it wasn't measurable in distance or time anymore. Both brothers studied long and studied hard to restore the world to its original form and soon found that it'd take a special combination of technology and magic to bridge this gap, and however they found ways to communicate, send objects and later even travel between the worlds themselves, finally uniting once again, they could never restore the balance that had once been.

What was the name of this mysterious studies, you ask? "Quantum mechanics."

Content
This modpack contains various Technological and Magical mods, however there is one world that mostly generates magical things and in which technology will cost more resources and energy and there is another world that mostly generates technological ores and in which magical things cost extra resources. These two worlds are connected via portals.
Additionally, there's an optional set of configs and scripts that will make vanilla ore processing very inefficient, but on the other hand, will add a (very) long chain of inter-mod ore processing methods/steps that'll make a very efficient ore processor once combined.

How does it work?
In essence, this is one modpack with two sets of configs. One set is configured to generate a world in which the lands are littered with mystical an magical constructs and where no technological device seems to want to work. The other set is configured to do the complete oposite: generating a world in which magic is nigh nonexistent and where machinery is all that matters. Both of these sets of configs need to be installed on a separate server.

The key component that brings and binds these two worlds together is the quantum portal added by qCraft, which allows you to travel from one world to the other, taking items with you. This is why it is important that all mods are installed on both servers, so the items exist and the item IDs match.

Mods
Core mods:
Animation API
Aroma Core
CodeChickenCore
CoFHCore
Ender Core
Farseek
MicdoodleCore
MobiusCore
Travellers’ Gear

Utility mods:
Aroma Backup
Better Foliage
Buildcraft Compat
Chicken Chunks
Dynamic Surroundings
Fastcraft
Forge Essentials Client
I'm Looking at Blood
InvTweaks
JourneyMap
MumbleLink
NotEnoughItems
NEI Addons
NEI Integration
OpenEye
Opis
Thaumcraft NEI Plugin
Waila
Wawla

General Purpose-mods:
Alternate Terrain Generation
BiomeTweaker
MineTweaker
ModTweaker
qCraft
Realistic Terrain Generation
Thermal Foundation

Magic mods:
Ars Magica 2
Automagy
Botania
Blood Magic
Floocraft
Forbidden Magic
Gadomancy
Magic Bees
Magical Crops
Thaumcraft
Thaumic Exploration
Thaumic Horizons
Thaumic Tinkerer
The Betweenlands
The Twilight Forest
Witchery
Witching Gadgets

Tech mods:
Advanced Genetics
Agricraft
Buildcraft
Ender IO
Factorization
Forestry
Galacticraft
Galacticraft Planets
Gravisuite
Immersive Engineering
Industrialcraft 2 Experimental
IC2 Nuclear Control
Logistics Pipes
Mekanism
NuclearCraft
Pneumaticcraft
StargateCraft
Thermal Dynamics
Thermal Expansion

Bridging mods:
Arcane Engineering
Electro-Magic Tools
Technomancy

Other mods:
Another One Bites the Dust
AutoPackager
Iron Chests
Jabba
Soul Shards Reborn
Streams mod

More coming soon!

This pack contains Fastcraft, by Player, enabled by default. Fastcraft enhances Minecraft with increased performance. Bug reports being made directly to Mod Authors should state Fastcraft is enabled.

The version of Inventory Tweaks in this pack is a congregation of unofficial Github builds, with a few personal fixes, composed by me. Any issues with Inventory Tweaks should be reported directly to me, rather than be reported on the InvTweaks Github.

Configs
The default client configs are 99% the same as the configs of my QubeSpace modpack.
The Void of Magic server configs nerf all magic mods and boost the tech mods a tiny little bit.
The Void of Technology server configs nerf all tech mods.

Permissions
Public modpack permissions have been obtained for all mods in the published versions.
You are free to run this modpack on your own server without my consent as long as you do not make money off of the modpack.

Screenshots
Void of Magic:
LlupVyI.png

Void of Technology:
e5dFBbT.png

You can even see the difference in trees.
635356669595167032.png
More coming soon...

Specs
Needed to run these modpacks to their full potential:
  • A client pc with at least 2GB of assigned Java RAM
  • Two dedicated servers with at least 2GB of assigned Java RAM
Running all of this on a computer with 8GB of RAM (6GB assigned to Java) is technically possible, but not recommended.

Server configuration

The default server.properties files will host the servers through port 25565 and 25566 and make them use RTG and ATG as level-type. These world generators are recommended, as the modpack's configs are specifically edited for this purpose.

Go online on one of the servers:
  • Make yourself an op on that server.
  • Go into creative mode.
  • Build a quantum portal on that server. Instructions can be found near the bottom of this page.
  • Configure the portal to go to Gate 1 on the other server. You'll need the other server's IP for this. "localhost:<port number>" will work if both servers are hosted on the same machine.
Go through the portal and take your items with you:
  • Taking your items with you WILL fail, but you should be at the other server's spawn now.
  • Make yourself an op on that server.
  • Go into creative mode.
  • Run the command "/qcraft verify" this should return your lost items.
  • Build a quantum portal on that server.
  • Configure the portal to go to Gate 1 on the other server.
Go through the portal and take your items with you:
  • Taking your items with you WILL fail, but you should be at the other server's portal now.
  • Run the command "/qcraft verify" this should return your lost items.
NOTE:
Over time, both servers need to be started with the same modpack version and go through the same modpack update-sequence to ensure that item-ID mismatches don't happen.

Downloads (0.3.2)
This modpack is publicly available on the FTB launcher. The modpack code is "VoidOf".

For those who dislike the FTB launcher there are separate download links available:
  • Extreme ore processing settings download (paste the config ans scripts folders in this zip into your server folders, overwriting everything, to use these)
    Note that not having the configs of this set installed on your client, while being connected to a server that does have these, will result in your NEI de-synching and showing your wrong recipes for the IC2 Blast furnace and EIO Sagmill. This will not affect the actual processing on that server.
    Note as well, that having this script installed, would even be interesting if the modpack was not set up on two separate servers, but on just one server or client, using the client distribution config set.
Servers
Currently, this modpack is not hosted on any servers for as far as I know.

Links

Feedback
You can react to this thread if you have any remarks, questions or requests.
Issues, you can file at the Github repository.

Last edited:

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
This post is a placeholder and probably will be for a long time.

Last edited:

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
Released beta version 0.2.0:
-Feed the Beast distribution filed, but still pending
-Updated all mods to their newest versions
-Added Forestry, Gravisuite, IC2 Nuclear Control, Immersive Engineering, LogisticsPipes, Magic Bees, Mekanism, NuclearCraft and Pneumaticcraft
-Configured these mods to be nerfed in either of both worlds
-Removed Big Reactors (too OP for our tastes)
-Did a few fixes and additions to the general config

lok0143

Jul 29, 2019
This pack looks really cool and I would love to try it if someone sets up servers for this.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
I guess I'll create a poll for that then. I technically could set this up, but that would mean tearing down the QubeSpace server, so I'd like to know if people like this enough to justify it. It will probably be a month or two before I can do so though.

EDIT: Poll created.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
I did not. The modpack just isn't approved and uploaded to the FTB launcher yet, but I have no doubt it will be soon. EDIT: Now it is. I still have to test if it works, though.

The direct dowload links in the OP here work though :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jdog1408

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
So it crashes from the FTB launcher but I'll emigrate it to curse and see if that works(I have issues with the ftb launcher)

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, like I said I've always had issues with the FTB launcher. So I develop using the curse launcher. Which causes a few problems but is usually fine.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
Wait... I have to come back on that:
"I always have trouble with the FTB launcher."
When updating or installing a modpack, the first download attempt always fails. The second one doesn't.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I guess I'll relaunch it and try but it's been a long time since I've gotten any pack to work on there.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, FTB still doesn't launch, anything. But I moved he folder arrangement around and I'm going to try it out on Curse now.

Edit: Successful launch and created all the folders properly. Let's see how this works, excited to play because the concept seems really cool. Plays and mods work. Now to test this dual dimension thing.

Last edited:

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
I could update Void of Magic/Tech with RTG, BiomeTweaker and the Streams Mod right now, but I'd like to have anyone's opinion on what mods to add next.
And I'm talking about some tech and magic mods.
  • Another One Bites the Dust
  • Advanced Genetics
  • Railcraft / Factorization
  • Magical Crops / Agricraft
  • Extra Utilities / Open Blocks
  • Redstone Arsenal
  • Iron Chests / Jabba
  • Galacticraft / SGCraft (Galaxy Space, 4-Space and More Planets)
  • Gadomancy / I'm Looking at Blood / Floocraft / Automagy
  • AbyssalCraft
  • Mystcraft / RF-Tools
  • Redstone Paste / Project Red / BluePower
  • Electro-Magic Tools / Immersive Integration / Arcane Engineering / Technomancy
1. So what mod(s) should I give priority? Keep in mind that I need a balanced mix of magic and tech mods, so I will not be adding just tech mods.
2. Should I remove Ender IO, because it's too OP?

Let me hear your thoughts.
635356669595335315.png

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Well if you want performance then don't add mystcraft people will complain about how their servers and computers can't handle it. Magical Crops should be Minetweaked to nerf it in a pack like this. But still a very fun mod. In tight progression packs ExU and OB will create massive leaps and holes. Iron Chests and JABBA are great for any pack because it won't affect progression so you won't need to worry about them at all.

Hope this helps ;P

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So, coming here from XComp's forum: When you say that a book to the twilight forest can be made on the magic server, and then brought over to the tech server, am I correct in understanding that this makes a new, second forest, unrelated to the first?

How does the second forest -- on the tech server -- behave when the configs are for tech and not magic, and much of the forest is magic based?

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
If this works, which I have not tested yet, it would indeed create a second Twilight Forest on the tech server. This TF should behave normal as I haven't really found any ways or reasons to nerf it other than disabling the portal itself. I mean, other mods' nerfed settings should still apply there and the oregen in the TF should be tech-specific. I haven't tested the latter either, as it hasn't been possible to reach TF on the tech server so far.

On top of that, I'd like to clarify that Mystcraft is not in this modpack (and I do not have permission to add it, because XCompWiz forgot :p ) and as such, you can not reach the TF (yet) on a Void of Magic world.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
So starting off it's very similar to most tech packs which is fine. But what adds a twist is that you've already advanced in progression before you can do any magic which you don't start with more magic resources but you can breeze through the tedious beginnings of Magic mods.

Edit: And I've only played single player but I feel like if you had a server of ~20 people you would see most people choose magic or tech to live in and then you would have a cool system of visiting the dimensions for trading, assuming they don't go to war.

Last edited:

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
You could also choose top do it the other way around of course. :) Start with magic and then do tech.

Sent from my HUAWEI G750-U10 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jdog1408