[1.7.10] The Ferret Business [WIP][BQ + HQM, 500+ Quests][v 0.2.6]

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
Absolutely loving the modpack, looking forward the the new version. However, I've discovered a loophole which means a simple 2 machine set up is churning more bags of coins and chits than I can handle. On investigation, there's something seriously wrong with the automation of shipping crates. I don't want to put detail here in case I ruin it for other people, unless you want me to, Caigan... Would you rather I PM you with the details?
Many thanks!
PM would be preferred. =)

Violette13

Jul 29, 2019
any tips for someone just staring out?
It's pretty free form. Once you play through the intro quests you can just play like as you like collecting goodies on the side.It's far more rewarding to just complete tasks based on what you want to do than just trying to grind endlessly.

Just building a nice base can net you some nice stuff in the quest book, or just shipping extra stuff you don't need. Agricraft Pumpkin farms are good for quick shipping if you just need a quick few coins. The quests rewards you for exploring all the mods in it so don't obsess over shipping quests too much. NEI is your friend. It tells you if what you just got from a blind bag is useless or a crucial piece of something awesome.

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
any tips for someone just staring out?
Get a little base going, somewhere with a bed and whatnot so you have a good respawn point. Do the initial quests to get a few blind bags and unlock the Shop stuff.

Dabble in the early questlines for some more blindbags, sometimes you get something that can help jump start your journey in a mod, or just make your life easier.

As others said, work toward getting to the nether and make sure you've killed a bat or other flying creature, or work on getting a low tier Simply Jetpack going instead. Either will help when traveling and looking for more materials, and getting away from danger.

KyunaKyuna

Jul 29, 2019
As others said, work toward getting to the nether and make sure you've killed a bat or other flying creature, or work on getting a low tier Simply Jetpack going instead. Either will help when traveling and looking for more materials, and getting away from danger.

Regarding flight, I have found that you get some jetpack pieces as you collect blind bags. In both my games now I have picked up some useful parts, then knocked out the jetpack questline pretty easily. You get flight, plus some more blind bags. It fit in nicely with my broad industrialization plan.

Other quest lines to have a look at are the storage ones. I tend to needs some barrels and chests early on, so doing those quests early worked well. Do be aware that the highest level one will need diamond and obsidian to finish, so don't be surprised if you do the first couple of tiers, then have to wait. Putting that a different way, you can do the first couple quests and get the reward and then see one that gives a really good blind bag as a reward. That is the one to watch out for. You will need to do several parts to finish it and you can not see all the parts at the beginning. The high level bags are great, so you will want to get it, but the diamond chests can be expensive early game.

A strategy to consider is building a tree farm, then using the wood in autocrafters to create items which can be put into crates. It is pretty easy to automate relatively early on, then you get a steady flow of coins and chits. I recommend spruce trees. You can also collect the seedlings and crate them up for a small secondary income.

Once you have that steam flow of income, you can afford to buy some goodies. The ender seeds are a nice longer term investment, especially if you don't want to build an enderman farm. You can also use the income to buy the materials you need to build, allowing you to avoid doing some mining. I found it especially nice for charged certus quartz, ardite and cobalt.

There are some major changes coming to magic seeds, so you might want to hold off for now. Caigan is putting in a way to change your seeds to a new mod, but I suspect my farms will still need a lot of reworking. If you are just starting, there is plenty to explore without them.

Jetsetlemming

Jul 29, 2019
Have a bug with Pneumatic Craft: The PC seeds are supposed to be different kinds of plastics based on type, but they seem to give some random plastic of any type instead. I think it might be a dictionary thing? IDK. Sorry if this has already been reported.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the pack, and the shop/quest book mechanic. This is the first time in a while I've found a pack really enjoyably unique without it having a huge game world change (Crash Landing's dust desert, Hubris's 100% taint, etc). It feels refreshing to have my goals be very different from vanilla play while at the same time having my feet on solid, reliable ground. :p

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
means a simple 2 machine set up is churning more bags of coins and chits than I can handle. On investigation, there's something seriously wrong with the automation of shipping crates. I don't want to put detail here in case I ruin it for other people, unless you want me to, Caigan... Would you rather I PM you with the details?
Many thanks!
i know the one ur talking about *sits on a barrel of 64*128 coins* i wont spoil it either but dearly the return ..... is so much higher then it should be

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
i heard somebody on my server got a resonant jetpack from a basic blind bag... is this true?
Yep. The general break down for the basic Blind Bag of Blind Bags is about 40% chance of a non blind bag random item. Roughly about 10% of these non-bag items is something on the level of a Resonant Jetpack tier of item, while the other 90% are basic materials or low tier items.

Have a bug with Pneumatic Craft: The PC seeds are supposed to be different kinds of plastics based on type, but they seem to give some random plastic of any type instead. I think it might be a dictionary thing? IDK. Sorry if this has already been reported.
Yeah. I've been getting a few more reports of this lately, but its not something thats going to be fixed because Pneumaticraft is one of the mods that is being pruned from the next version. I feel it fits better with my other modpack I'm working on (which is on the backburner until I get a regular set of updates going for THIS one)

i know the one ur talking about *sits on a barrel of 64*128 coins* i wont spoil it either but dearly the return ..... is so much higher then it should be
On this bug, I tested the update to said mod causing the issue, and its still present. I was already going to shift the items to custom ones in Ferret Shinies mod at a later time, but I need to bump that up to 'critical' change.

---------------------------------------

I'm a little late in starting it due to working on other things in the pack, but I'm now slowly updating the mods in the pack on my end and testing it every few mods.

I've already encountered a few bugs that have required me to spend time researchign and fixing them, so I'm not going to be able to get the Beta pack up tonight. Possibly tomorrow, but its more likely to be Thursday or Friday, due to a doctor appointment (its why I was hoping to get it out today so the bug reports could start up and I could tackle them in a large chunk)

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
On this bug, I tested the update to said mod causing the issue, and its still present. I was already going to shift the items to custom ones in Ferret Shinies mod at a later time, but I need to bump that up to 'critical' change.
i was referring to balance issue not function issue

Reactions: Pudding01

An0nymuS

Jul 29, 2019
Any idea how/why/if a JABBA-related error could erase my inventory? Here's what happened: I logged into the game (single player), it started loading and then just crashed to the Minecraft menu with no error/warning. The most relevant (I believe) piece of the log is the following:

[01:13:11] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: There was a critical exception handling a packet on channel JABBA
java.lang.NullPointerException
at mcp.mobius.betterbarrels.network.Message0x01ContentUpdate.channelRead0(Message0x01ContentUpdate.java:48) ~[Message0x01ContentUpdate.class:?]
at mcp.mobius.betterbarrels.network.Message0x01ContentUpdate.channelRead0(Message0x01ContentUpdate.java:10) ~[Message0x01ContentUpdate.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:98) ~[SimpleChannelInboundHandler.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(DefaultChannelHandlerContext.java:337) ~[DefaultChannelHandlerContext.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelHandlerContext.java:323) ~[DefaultChannelHandlerContext.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:101) ~[SimpleChannelInboundHandler.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(DefaultChannelHandlerContext.java:337) ~[DefaultChannelHandlerContext.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelHandlerContext.java:323) ~[DefaultChannelHandlerContext.class:?]
at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageDecoder.channelRead(MessageToMessageDecoder.java:103) ~[MessageToMessageDecoder.class:?]
at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageCodec.channelRead(MessageToMessageCodec.java:111) ~[MessageToMessageCodec.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:785) ~[DefaultChannelPipeline.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.embedded.EmbeddedChannel.writeInbound(EmbeddedChannel.java:169) ~[EmbeddedChannel.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.internal.FMLProxyPacket.func_148833_a(FMLProxyPacket.java:77) [FMLProxyPacket.class:?]
at net.minecraft.network.NetworkManager.func_74428_b(NetworkManager.java:212) [ej.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71407_l(Minecraft.java:2049) [bao.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:961) [bao.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:887) [bao.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:148) [Main.class:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_60]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_60]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_60]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_60]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
[01:13:11] [Netty Client IO #0/INFO] [MineMenu]: CLIENT: Disconnected from server, enabling all click actions
[01:13:11] [Netty Client IO #0/INFO] [simplyjetpacks]: Loading configuration files
[01:13:11] [Netty Client IO #0/INFO] [mcjty.rftools.RFTools]: Disconnect from server: Unregistering RFTools dimensions

I restarted the world without restarting the client and all my inventory was gone (Edit: except the 3 books you start with and I did not have a QUEST Tablet) and I was back at the map spawn point instead of my bed (as if it was the first time I was entering the world) but everything else was just as I'd left it (my base, the explored map, the JourneyMap waypoints, the quests and my reputation levels are still there). I haven't changed any login settings or my in-game name since I last played that world (about 10 hours before this incident) and I've never experienced selective player data loss (I believe that HQM data is stored separately from player data such as inventory). Somehow, I doubt that JABBA would be behind the disappearance of my inventory, but what other causes could there be? Would a different part of the crash log be more useful? Is there any chance to recover my inventory (I really miss my TiCo tools)?

Thanks in advance.

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
Is there any chance to recover my inventory (I really miss my TiCo tools)?
there is a chance to recover some of it maybe not all of it , did u die semi recently to something in that mc world ? if u did there might be a file generated that kept a copy of ur last grave (yes the grave from open blocks) theres a command u might be able run that would restore ur inventory from that pt if u died with the tinker tools on ur body at that death(in a non soul bound bag counts) the tools would be among the items to appear after the command is run though not exactly the same more like how they were at that pt

alas im not very fluent on the use of that feature but i know it will try to replace ur current inventory with what ever u had on hand at ur last death with at least 1 variant of the command

there might be another way to get ur stuff back but i dont know, remember to make a backup of ur world before u try something like this or other kinds of fixes

id have someone else talk to u about this more first before u attempt it
remember to backup ur world prior to doing this just in case

Last edited:
Reactions: KyunaKyuna

An0nymuS

Jul 29, 2019
there is a chance to recover some of it maybe not all of it , did u die semi recently to something in that mc world ? if u did there might be a file generated that kept a copy of ur last grave (yes the grave from open blocks) theres a command u might be able run that would restore ur inventory from that pt if u died with the tinker tools on ur body at that death(in a non soul bound bag counts) the tools would be among the items to appear after the command is run though not exactly the same more like how they were at that pt

alas im not very fluent on the use of that feature but i know it will try to replace ur current inventory with what ever u had on hand at ur last death with at least 1 variant of the command

there might be another way to get ur stuff back but i dont know, remember to make a backup of ur world before u try something like this or other kinds of fixes

id have someone else talk to u about this more first before u attempt it
remember to backup ur world prior to doing this just in case

the command is ob_inventory_restore i think.

Thank you very much for your assistance, gentlemen! OpenBlocks does save inventory upon death and the command is ob_inventory restore <playername> <backup file name, after removing the leading "inventory-" and ".dat" parts of the name>. The backup file is located in the data folder under the world save in the MC folder. I play with keepInventory enabled and I was afraid that with no gravestone, there wouldn't have been a backup, but there is! :)