[1.7.10] TerraFirmaPunk 2.0 - TerraFirmaCraft & SteamPunk Adventures

C

ColdComfort

(Sorry to do this, but I'm not sure where else to put this where people might check.)
To people using my server: It's temporarily offline, while I transition to a new host. I need to DL the world files, and then upload them on the other end, and I don't want people's work to get lost if I leave it up. I'll update this post as soon as it's back online. The new server will be running 1.0.99, and available at gloomia.cubed.pro. (There's a world up right now, for testing, if you want to mess around. PM me, I can give you temp OP status to break things.)

EDIT: Bad news, the new server has stopped accepting FTP connections, so there is currently no way to get the World files uploaded there. (Which seems like a major issue on their part...) The "old" server is back up at Gloomia.playat.ch, running version 1.0.98. If you're missing .jar files due to a mismatch, let me know and I can upload them somewhere. Sorry about the inconvenience!

If you're having problems connecting, it's likely due to a mismatch:
https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/8mhKf2UzMF5wy2Fuklv2NgaX6BOkrY65

Install the "recommended" version, which is closest, and then download the mods in the above link. Then place them in the ftb/TerraFirmaPunk/mods folder, remove the newer versions of the same mods, and then restart Minecraft, and you should be able to connect.

Last edited:
C

Cralis

Has anyone figured out how to grow watermelons. I can't find vanilla dirt, even though I have a vanilla hoe. I've looked into exNilo barrels and I've got 6 stone from gathering cobble from necromancer quest but can not locate a half slab for the stone barrel. Tried mixing lava and water but that gives me ryholite.

None of the vanilla food is edible. I've tried potatoes, carrots, melons, and wheat is now straw. I got lucky and found a ruin with vanilla dirt and tried them.

C

Cralis

Just to clarify ... I know absolutely nothing about setting up a server so most of what you have said is completely lost on me. I just cannot help every set up their servers. I have only ever used rented servers. If its more complicated than selecting which java to use and dumping the mods in the right folder than I wont even bother. I am very frustrated that FTB keeps loosing the download files and I am seriously ready to just give up on the whole. Its just not worth my time to compile and upload two separate packs just so that no one can get to the files and they don't work even if they do.

What you aim for is a working download. It contains all the files and elements needed for the player to put "true" into the Eula.txt and then double-click the ServerStart.exe... The only exception is that it's supposed to be able to download the libraries if they aren't already present.

But trust me: more people will play if you have dedicated servers, because they can play together. Out of the 17 people that inhabit my teamspeak server, not a single one plays singeplayer minecraft other than my daughters. Generally what happens is that I test the new packs and when I think they are ready, I have a buddy who has a massive server who then hosts it until we get bored.

BTW, this is why we aren't playing the Atonement modpack. Those of us who have tested it have absolutely loved it. But the author doesn't support dedicated servers (admittedly because the modpack is just too darned resource intensive with the weather mod), so none of my regular group will play it.

I've never actually created a pre-setup server before, but let me see what I can figure out.

T

TES0N

onewolf, please don't give up on your server setup download, i was able to load it. i think we can leave some basic instruction in here, like make a separated thread with the details and redirect them to there. what could help. i think?!

Reactions: theluckyone17
C

Cralis

So most of the annoyances in .98 have gone away in .99 ... such as not being able to drink from fresh water without a jug, and trees resetting their growth times. Very good. So I've been looking into how to build a proper "prebuilt" server and it looks like the best way is just to build a server and make it available for download. Supposedly you can have it download a bunch of the libraries and stuff, but I haven't been able to find any links on how to do that with FTB.

Does anyone else have any more information or links to any forums or sites that discuss building prebuilt servers for your mod pack?

Stroam

Jul 29, 2019
What have people found to be the best way to generate lots of steam? I guess what's the best thing to burn for steam. So far the longest cycle has been wood into charcoal with the coke oven, then turn that into charcoal dust which goes back into the coke oven to make coke and then burning the coke and creosote in a solid fuel and liquid fuel boilers. Have not tested the ratios for flaxbeard vs magnicraft vs railcraft solid fuel boilers.

Also what have you found to work best for RF generation?

Last edited:
Reactions: OneWolfe

theluckyone17

Jul 29, 2019
While we're on the topic of servers: for those of us running Terrafirmapunk on servers, how are y'all handling time when there are no players logged on? My old Terrafirmacraft server slowed ticking down immensely, somehow... the TFP server I've got running now keeps ticking on, while no one's logged on. I've shut the server down while I'm not logged on, but that's not a good solution if I'm going to open the server up to the public. I'd hate to take a week off from playing, then discover months/years have passed in the game.

Edit: See my post below.

Last edited:

Jugg3rV

Jul 29, 2019
So most of the annoyances in .98 have gone away in .99 ... such as not being able to drink from fresh water without a jug, and trees resetting their growth times. Very good. So I've been looking into how to build a proper "prebuilt" server and it looks like the best way is just to build a server and make it available for download. Supposedly you can have it download a bunch of the libraries and stuff, but I haven't been able to find any links on how to do that with FTB.

Does anyone else have any more information or links to any forums or sites that discuss building prebuilt servers for your mod pack?

You can drink from freshwater. But you have to find the generated source to do this.
I have a similar issue with the leatherversion of the mug ... dont remember the name ... You cannot fill it on newly generated sources. You need to find the not flowing sources to do this.

One easy way to find them is pressing 2 on your numpad, which enables wayla to show waterblocks. If the tooltip shows Fresh Water, and its not flowing, you can drink from it with empty hand and fill your drinking leathers

theluckyone17

Jul 29, 2019
Did a bit more research on the server time issue. TFC is configured to slow down the ticks when no players are online:
Code:
server {
    # For every X number of ticks provided here, when there are no players online the server will only progress by 1 tick. Time advances 100 times slower than normal. Setting this to 0 will turn this feature off. [range: 0 ~ 2147483647, default: 100]
    I:simSpeedNoPlayers=2147483647
}

I logged in this morning, after finding the server had automatically rebooted (forgot about that 6 hour cron job to restart in case the server crashed), and found the time sitting at June 1, 1000.

That lead to:http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/8734-issue-with-calendar-time-in-modded-smp-tfc/ . As quoted in that thread, "a TerraMisc mod" was responsible for causing time to move backwards, until the start date. I'll look into the issue a bit more.

Update: Removing TerraMisc did not resolve it. I've got some errands to take care of now; I'll come back to the issue later today.

Last edited:
C

Cralis

Did a bit more research on the server time issue. TFC is configured to slow down the ticks when no players are online:

Ah hah! I suspected this, but wasn't quite sure. In normal minecraft it makes the dimensions go dormant when nobody is online (you can see the unload report in the console when it happens, and it happens initially when you first start the server btw), but does not seem to do it later.

What I don't understand is whether the chunks are still loaded or not. My crops don't grow when I'm not there, so I'm guessing the answer is "no"

That lead to:http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/8734-issue-with-calendar-time-in-modded-smp-tfc/ . As quoted in that thread, "a TerraMisc mod" was responsible for causing time to move backwards, until the start date. I'll look into the issue a bit more.

Update: Removing TerraMisc did not resolve it. I've got some errands to take care of now; I'll come back to the issue later today.

AH HAH! That probably explains why the trees go back to their maximum time until growing every time everyone is logged off the dedicated server (I reported this a couple forum page ago). I'll see what I can find out, but my time is very limited today so I'll be interested in hearing what you find out.

All of this may also explain what appears to be a memory leak in the dedicated. I have the server shutdown and reboot almost every day because, if I leave it up for more than about 36-48 hours, it consumes the maximum memory allowed and starts complaining about being 5000-7000ms behind... when nobody is logged on.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
You can drink from freshwater. But you have to find the generated source to do this.
I have a similar issue with the leatherversion of the mug ... dont remember the name ... You cannot fill it on newly generated sources. You need to find the not flowing sources to do this.

One easy way to find them is pressing 2 on your numpad, which enables wayla to show waterblocks. If the tooltip shows Fresh Water, and its not flowing, you can drink from it with empty hand and fill your drinking leathers

I keep for getting that the Streams mod causes this since I always set up base near small lakes or ponds of fresh water.

C

Cralis

There was a bug in TFP 1.0.98 that made it so sometimes you couldn't drink with an empty hand from fresh water source blocks. However, you could NEVER drink from flowing blocks. However, by design, you can always fill a jug from fresh source OR flowing water and drink from that and it still worked in 1.0.98. That was what I was talking about.

I have not yet used the drinking leathers.

According to: http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/...ns-in-multiplay/?do=findComment&comment=71598
"Spawn chunks are always loaded as long as the server is running, that's just how vanilla works."

Right, but I never ever build a base in spawn. What I was getting at is that time is obviously continuing (since you can look and time has changed from the time that the last person has logged off), but with your particular chunk being unloaded your crops don't progress. The problem is that the crops already takes weeks and months of game time and if time is still going and you log out for an extended period of time, you may miss the growing season.

theluckyone17

Jul 29, 2019
Ah... I thought you were referring to the memory leak, not crops growing. It was my understanding that even if the chunk is unloaded, the time stamp detailing when the crop was planted is stored; so when the chunk is loaded again, the crop's status is updated, referencing the time stamp.

And I should mention that your complaint is exactly why I stopped playing on the Technofirma server. It was popular... maybe too popular. With lots of folks playing, I could take a few days off, then return to find my crops dead and my food rotted. Trying to replant, then harvest the crop felt a bit too much like work. I don't think there's a good solution to the issue, either, short of all the players on the server collaborating together to manage it. Makes me seriously consider just sticking to offline...

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Right, but I never ever build a base in spawn. What I was getting at is that time is obviously continuing (since you can look and time has changed from the time that the last person has logged off), but with your particular chunk being unloaded your crops don't progress. The problem is that the crops already takes weeks and months of game time and if time is still going and you log out for an extended period of time, you may miss the growing season.

Thats why public servers really dont work well with TerraFirmaCraft :(

Last edited:
C

Cralis

Thats why public servers really dont work well with TerraFirmaCraft :(

Yes and no. The problem only arises when you're going to be gone for like a week. And if they have the correct settings, it's not a big deal. For example, you can set it in the config so that ripe crops don't rot, so if other people keep your chunks loaded (or you use a chunkloader), you don't lose the crops.

The biggest advantage with a dedicated server is that you can play together. I only have friends and family on mine, and right now with my server running on a desktop it's only available on the local LAN because it can't handle a bigger load. But I'm using it to test and try to figure some of this stuff out so...

Why TFP? Because it's really cool. I like the realism from TFC, and I like how you've included steam technology as a next tier.

Weren't you going to add magic at one point? Whatever happened to that?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm entirely confused on how to fill my leather water sack. I found a place that worked for a bit and now it doesn't. There doesn't seem to be any standing sources of fresh water I can find. Everything that's fresh seems to be flowing and it only complains that the sack is empty.

Anyone have any suggestions for what to do?