[1.7.10] TerraFirmaPunk 2.0 - TerraFirmaCraft & SteamPunk Adventures

Slywyn

Jul 29, 2019
"Fighting the RNG" isn't interesting or even very fun. It's 'Okay am I going to get lucky this time' and in a pack that's built at least somewhat around progression(as TFC is inherently progression-heavy), gating that behind RNG has just never really seen like a very healthy design choice.

TigerShark

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see any point in using Ex Nihilo in a "normal" world. If you want to add an alternate method to obtain some resources there has to be a better way than adding Ex Nihilo and then disabling 95% of the mod. Add it to the chest loot table, make it a building block in one of the worldgen structure types, add it is a mob drop, etc.

Ex Nihilo discourages exploration---something perfectly fine in a skyblock, not at all in a TFC pack, IMHO.
Completely agree on this.

"Fighting the RNG" isn't interesting or even very fun. It's 'Okay am I going to get lucky this time' and in a pack that's built at least somewhat around progression(as TFC is inherently progression-heavy), gating that behind RNG has just never really seen like a very healthy design choice.
Of course it is personal taste but I prefer to deal with some random exploration and mob farming than having to craft 1231231 chained machines or click a sieve for hours to get materials.
Lately most mods and packs focus way too much in crafting, crafting and crafting... to the point where u craft a machine for the sole purpose of crafting the next one and then u can discard the first....

I like this pack so far because TFC adds some meaningful crafting/planing while the rest of the mods adds to variety, fighting and exploration. And with the amount of mobs and ruins on the map, TFC ore veins are a lot more of a random gate than farming the former.

Slywyn

Jul 29, 2019
You seem to have missed the part where I said it should be an alternate, a way to get things that you're missing because RNG has screwed you over, and automating them should be disabled, meaning that most of your concerns are something we've already covered.

It should not be a replacement for normal mining, especially in a pack like this one focused around TFC.

TigerShark

Jul 29, 2019
You seem to have missed the part where I said it should be an alternate, a way to get things that you're missing because RNG has screwed you over, and automating them should be disabled, meaning that most of your concerns are something we've already covered.

It should not be a replacement for normal mining, especially in a pack like this one focused around TFC.

I didn't get u at all. I never talked about automation, that's why I say "clicking a sieve for hours" :p
The sieve is as random as mob farming is.. I don't see the difference in that respect, but personally, I prefer hunting mobs (there are plenty in this pack) than grinding stacks of dirt and stone and then sieving them....

Slywyn

Jul 29, 2019
If, for example, it was set so that types of stone that would normally be able to contain a certain resource(Just as an example, Malachite from Marble), and you have found a Marble biome but not a vein of Malachite, you could collect a bunch of Marble stone or gravel or sand and sift through it to find the items.

It's much less random than relying on mob drops, because if you assign a material to the mob you have to: 1) hope the mob spawns, 2) be able to find it, 3) hope it drops, and 4) repeat until you're finished.

Using Ex Nihilo to fill in the gaps, you only have to: 1) find the stone-type you want, 2) sift materials. Yes, it is also reliant on RNG, but unless it's set to something absurd(1/1000 or something chance to get an item), you will eventually get what you want. It's 'guaranteed' RNG rather than 'may never happen' RNG like relying on mob spawns and drops.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Ex Nihilo is staying in the pack for now.

Unfortunately I am unable to alter what ores can be acquired from the Sluice or the Gold Pan so I need some other way to provide some of the ores that are necessary for Immersive Engineering and Magneticraft. Because Ex Nihilo is very configurable it gives me the opportunity to provide players an early start on collecting these ores, Aluminum, and Tungsten for example. Players wont be able to process them until later, but at least there is now a low-tech method of collecting them. There will of course be other more high-tech means of getting these ores, but all of the machines in this pack a very dependent on having large qualtities of different metals, that having various means to gather resources is a must, especially early on.

I do not see a current need for composting or the Crucibles yet, but their might be something useful down the road. And the Silkworm infested leaves are still buggy and just despawn when they cant find any vanilla lumber nearby.

Still the configurability and uses of the Sieve are enough for me to leave this mod in the pack.

Last edited:

Slywyn

Jul 29, 2019
My girlfriend actually made a script for Ex Nihilo if you want me to send it to you so that I could use it. It modifies the recipe for the Sieve to be craftable(which I imagine you've probably already done?) and adds the different metals to the correct gravel, and minerals to sand.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
My girlfriend actually made a script for Ex Nihilo if you want me to send it to you so that I could use it. It modifies the recipe for the Sieve to be craftable(which I imagine you've probably already done?) and adds the different metals to the correct gravel, and minerals to sand.

I will take a look at it, but I am almost done scripting the ores and powders.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
TFP JUST GOT VERY EVIL

ZpwHepkl.png

PidZNkul.png

p5pTsICl.png

ljTCiDrl.png

Skincrawler

Jul 29, 2019
Tested fighting a Issac wearing full redsteel plate and sword and he seemed full infernal, plus a 4 stage fight took forever, and he seems to still spawn quite often.
Cant wait to see the hell he came from lol.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Tested fighting a Issac wearing full redsteel plate and sword and he seemed full infernal, plus a 4 stage fight took forever, and he seems to still spawn quite often.
Cant wait to see the hell he came from lol.

His spawn rate should be set to around 1% :'(

I wonder if he is the only mob in that biome?

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019

I see Isaac quite a lot for a "rare" mob. The most Isaac I've ever seen was four at once. I almost couldn't run away fast enough. Don't know if it's something to do with my world seed (unlikely, I think mob spawns are independent of seeds, aren't they?) or my rotten luck (highly likely!), but man, I'd be happy to not see him again...

G

Garos

I was wondering if starting without the Quest-Book is intentional or if I screwed up something when starting my world.

Btw, this is the most awesome Pack I've played so far!

W

WiseDragoon

TFP JUST GOT VERY EVIL

ZpwHepkl.png

PidZNkul.png

p5pTsICl.png

ljTCiDrl.png

LOL can't wait till we find some of these

TigerShark and I have found 2 or 3 of them at the same time too, they seem to like the abandoned mansions/libraries (the broken structures with magic book spawners). They are not that hard to fight tho, the problem is when they spawn inside your wooden house and start firing everything xD

I was wondering if starting without the Quest-Book is intentional or if I screwed up something when starting my world.

Btw, this is the most awesome Pack I've played so far!

For some weird reason I always start without the quest book too, but my friend doesn't.... and not only in this mod pack. idk what's the deal :s

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
Is anyone else seeing multi-chunk 'boxes' of missing water out in the oceans? I've been boating around a lot and they seem fairly common. Occasionally I also run across single blocks of what seems to be 'fresh minecraft water' which are highly visible against the normal ocean water.

Skincrawler

Jul 29, 2019
Is anyone else seeing multi-chunk 'boxes' of missing water out in the oceans? I've been boating around a lot and they seem fairly common. Occasionally I also run across single blocks of what seems to be 'fresh minecraft water' which are highly visible against the normal ocean water.
Not sure about the normal water, But in my experience the missing chunk boxes indicate a natural cave in, Or a hole with lots of ores.

TigerShark

Jul 29, 2019

I've seen quite a lot of Issacs too. Not together but rather, 1 is always around hour housing zone.... they won't despawn during the day.

That are doom like dungeons right? Hope u made them easy to find, hard to clear, with some valuable resource in them :p

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure about the normal water, But in my experience the missing chunk boxes indicate a natural cave in, Or a hole with lots of ores.

On the surface? What I see is a box of air, usually on the surface, usually 2-3 chunks long, 1 across, and oddly perhaps equally deep. Doesn't go down to the bottom. There is no 'flowing water' like gravel displacement cave-ins leave, rather it has that 'water stops here' boundary one sometimes sees where a chasm intersects ocean.

Skincrawler

Jul 29, 2019
On the surface? What I see is a box of air, usually on the surface, usually 2-3 chunks long, 1 across, and oddly perhaps equally deep. Doesn't go down to the bottom. There is no 'flowing water' like gravel displacement cave-ins leave, rather it has that 'water stops here' boundary one sometimes sees where a chasm intersects ocean.

This is picture shows a possible dungeon or cave you need to usually dig below the ocean floor to reach it.
Hard to do with out a aqua infinity or respiration enchant.
2016-02-28_11.05.31.png

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019

My guess is that the Ruins mod tried to generate something and failed. They are not a huge priority for me at the moment so I really havnt tried to track them down yet. You can also find large empty boxes like that underground. Try checking the layers of rock below these blocks in creative or keep an eye on the console to see if any failed ruins pop up while exploring the oceans.

I will probably look into this more after releasing 2.0.

Thanks for pointing them out to me :D