[1.7.10] TerraFirmaPunk 2.0 - TerraFirmaCraft & SteamPunk Adventures

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
I really like the idea of this pack, but so far I've spawned eight worlds and in each of them, after I dig in for the night my little clay-roofed bunker is surrounded by Isaacs from the Necromancy mod. Beating them with the axe seems to have no effect except to destroy my axe. Knives last longer but still don't kill Isaacs. They do very little damage but there get to be 4-5 of them and they whittle me down fast if I go out in the open...And you can't play the game from inside a bunker.

Isaac is supposed to be a RARE boss mob and should never be spawning that much. In 1.0.94 his spawn rate is set to roughly 2%, but If it continues to be a problem I may just have to set him up to only spawn during Full Moons.

Yes the pack is ment to be extremely tough for the first few days, and is really intended for group play. However I do know that single player survivability is possible, just very difficult.

I do agree that living in a hole makes it impossible to progress, but with some creative thinking, and a little preparation, those very nasty zombies are not so hard to kill, and can drop some nice tools to help you get started.

Please also note that any of the 1.0.9X versions are still in BETA and we are still doing a lot of testing to develop a good game balance. And at the moment I do agree that a zombie horde on the first day is a bit much, so I am looking for ways to reduce their effectiveness. One thing you could try for now is to disable the Zombie Awareness mod, this will significantly reduce their hording and tracking range.

Yes and no ..
It's tough early on. But the next patch from what I understand will give you a years rest until monsters start spawning. So you could probably just set it to peaceful the first year and then set it back to normal once you've grown a bit stronger.

The 1 year reprieve is only for those evil Lycanites Mob Events. The zombies and other custom mobs will still be big problem for the first few days.

I really would like to find a way to adjust mob difficulty based on player progression. Something like (If player owns Iron Anvil then increase Mob Health and Damage by 20%)

Last edited:

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
Isaac is supposed to be a RARE boss mob and should never be spawning that much. In 1.0.94 his spawn rate is set to roughly 2%, but If it continues to be a problem I may just have to set him up to only spawn during Full Moons.

Then there's a definite problem with Isaac's spawn params, as I was under attack by at least four at one point, which had spawned under forest in broad daylight.

Yes the pack is ment to be extremely tough for the first few days, and is really intended for group play. However I do know that single player survivability is possible, just very difficult.

I do agree that living in a hole makes it impossible to progress, but with some creative thinking, and a little preparation, those very nasty zombies are not so hard to kill, and can drop some nice tools to help you get started.

I've played Banished through to endgame. It's generally challenging, but the Isaac's were really savaging me. You'll note I did not complain about the zombies. As you say, they're pretty much walking lootshops if handled properly. One of the reasons I like "digging in" rather than "building up"...it makes kneecapping them easier.

Please also note that any of the 1.0.9X versions are still in BETA and we are still doing a lot of testing to develop a good game balance. And at the moment I do agree that a zombie horde on the first day is a bit much, so I am looking for ways to reduce their effectiveness. One thing you could try for now is to disable the Zombie Awareness mod, this will significantly reduce their hording and tracking range.

Very aware, thus the bug commentary. Hoping to play w/o disabling anything as that isn't going to give you quite as good feedback if there are any interaction issues.

I really would like to find a way to adjust mob difficulty based on player progression. Something like (If player owns Iron Anvil then increase Mob Health and Damage by 20%)

That sounds absolutely awesome, but I'm not quite sure how one'd go about it. I don't know that I'd key it off something like anvil-type, however. Someone could conceivably make nice equipment, decide they had enough spare ingots that an anvil was easily re-creatable, and proceed to ditch the anvil into lava just to ease mobspawn issues. Going off current armor/weapons seems more appropriate.

Definitely enjoying things at this point, but haven't really gotten out of basic TFC survival-mode yet.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds absolutely awesome, but I'm not quite sure how one'd go about it. I don't know that I'd key it off something like anvil-type, however. Someone could conceivably make nice equipment, decide they had enough spare ingots that an anvil was easily re-creatable, and proceed to ditch the anvil into lava just to ease mobspawn issues. Going off current armor/weapons seems more appropriate.

In TFC the Anvil is an absolute must have, you cannot live with out it, you might as well throw away your crafting bench in vanilla minecraft. I could have chosen other key items in the tech tree, like the Bloomery or Blast Furnace, but It seems that once players have a decent set of Bronze gear all the 'normal' enemies on the surface are pretty easy. As for the logic for how to vary mob difficulty based on player progress, I have absolutely no idea, either from checking player stats or from the HQM :(

Skincrawler

Jul 29, 2019
Tfc was designed to be a multiplayer game hence all the available ore and major amounts of food. A one year lapse for mobs is a good enough time to get your defences and most everything going.
The first month is hard but after that it gets really easy especially on single player.
I roleplay that I'm a prisoner send to the phantom zone to account for the difficulty and weird physics.
The game may seem hard now but you will find you will get bored quickly one you progress some with mining and blacksmithing.
Which is why I love terrifirmapunk
If onewolf gets it right I can finally get a sense of progression the vanilla never did.
I did not like the Isaacs myself they were way over powered but seems fixed in .94 had to disable infernal mobs till I get to iron because there powers are way to much. Rapid healing , fire balls.
But untill he fixes most of it adjust it for your tastes don't give on a great mod pack.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
If onewolf gets it right I can finally get a sense of progression the vanilla never did.
I did not like the Isaacs myself they were way over powered but seems fixed in .94 had to disable infernal mobs till I get to iron because there powers are way to much. Rapid healing , fire balls.
But untill he fixes most of it adjust it for your tastes don't give on a great mod pack.

Very aware, thus the bug commentary. Hoping to play w/o disabling anything as that isn't going to give you quite as good feedback if there are any interaction issues.

Definitely enjoying things at this point, but haven't really gotten out of basic TFC survival-mode yet.

Of course the FTB launcher does not have the nice features that let me clearly define which mods are optional and which are required, like the AT launcher does. The only option I see is to disable them initially, but then most players would never check the 'Modify' section, and thus never see them at all.

Since there is really no way to throttle Zombie Awareness or Infernal Mobs from my standpoint I really do not have problems disabling either of these mods. And I really appreciate everyone who lets me know that a specific mod or feature is game breaking, or just down right unplayable.

Durring this testing phase please feel free to mix and match things as you see fit. I have left several mods in the pack in a disabled state because during the live play testing we found them to be more buggy than they were worth, multimine and backtools for example. Or in the case of Electrical Age, I just could not find a good place for it in the tech tree.

I do of course appreciate everyone who continues to struggle with the pack in its default state, but if something, like Isaac, is making the game unplayable, feel free to take maters into your own hands either in creative or peaceful, and just let me know. More often than not its a bug and I will do what I can to correct the issue.

One last helpful hint: Plains should be considered a relative safe zone, while Mountains and Swamps are ment to be Extremely dangerous. Mob spawns are dependent on the Biome seen in the F3 screen.

TheLogan

Jul 29, 2019
Oh wow. Yeah I do Cofferdamming in non-TFC all the time when I'm currious about things under the surface or want to mine something under water, Never actually thought about it being a real thing, and especially not at that scale.
Thanks for the new knowledge ^^

Last edited:

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
Oh wow. Yeah I do Cofferdamming in non-TFC all the time when I'm currious about things under the surface or want to mine something under water, Never actually thought about it being a real thing, and especially not at that scale.
Thanks for the new knowledge ^^

Happy to share more of the weird wonderful world. :)

So, I just went through a ruin that contained two normal minecraft chests, with normal minecraft hoes, an axe, and a pick, as well as normal MC bread. I'd suggest making the normal MC tools have a 1 durability so they are effectively useless. I'm not sure what to recommend about the chests. The bread is apparently inedible, so that isn't a problem...Except inasmuch as these things affect 'loot generation'. In effect, there was no 'loot' that was useful in the usual TFC/TFP sense, it was purely vanilla loot.

TheLogan

Jul 29, 2019
I mentioned a similar thing with Melons and melon seeds. Are bread used for any recipes for example?
Also vanilla tools are certainly used for some recipes, right?

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
I mentioned a similar thing with Melons and melon seeds. Are bread used for any recipes for example?
Also vanilla tools are certainly used for some recipes, right?

Nope, they should not even be there!

Happy to share more of the weird wonderful world. :)

So, I just went through a ruin that contained two normal minecraft chests, with normal minecraft hoes, an axe, and a pick, as well as normal MC bread. I'd suggest making the normal MC tools have a 1 durability so they are effectively useless. I'm not sure what to recommend about the chests. The bread is apparently inedible, so that isn't a problem...Except inasmuch as these things affect 'loot generation'. In effect, there was no 'loot' that was useful in the usual TFC/TFP sense, it was purely vanilla loot.

Which ruin exactly did you find the chest in? None of the items you mentioned above should ever show up in any loot chests. I am wondering if that ruin might be spawning a different kind of loot chest. To be more clear, minecraft keeps a different list of items for each types of chests you can find in a vanilla world, the basic dungeon, jungle temple, desert pyramid, village smithy, and the abandoned mineshafts, all of those have separate lists. For my ruins I am only using the basic dungeon chests so that was the only list I modified. However it is possible that one of the random chests is using a different list instead :(

I will have to look into it after the live stream today.

Skincrawler

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure how tfc mechanics work,
But all vanilla tools are pretty worthless no point making them worse. And yes I think some are used for crafting recipes.
If I'm not mistaken tfc ups hp on all items a stone has let's say 5000 hitpoints a copper pick has a 60 up attack, where a vanilla diamond pick has a +8 attack.
I have tested all weapons in game and found all the vanilla and modded tools all but worthless.

TigerShark

Jul 29, 2019
There is a mod (but I don't remember the name, sorry) that modifies mob's dmg and hp based on elapsed time. I'm not sure if it works with all mobs or just vanilla but may be worth looking for it.

The vanilla weapons do chip dmg so looting them is no problem. Food is not edible and a hoe is a very "silly" tool so it does not matter. Shovels are not important either but pickaxes could break the game if the still work :S

For anyone with fps issues, remember to use java 8 64bits.

Skincrawler

Jul 29, 2019
There is a mod (but I don't remember the name, sorry) that modifies mob's dmg and hp based on elapsed time. I'm not sure if it works with all mobs or just vanilla but may be worth looking for it.

The vanilla weapons do chip dmg so looting them is no problem. Food is not edible and a hoe is a very "silly" tool so it does not matter. Shovels are not important either but pickaxes could break the game if the still work :S

For anyone with fps issues, remember to use java 8 64bits.
I tried using java 8 but it won't let me set my ram higher than 2gb even though I have 16

TigerShark

Jul 29, 2019
I tried using java 8 but it won't let me set my ram higher than 2gb even though I have 16

Using which launcher? A 2Gb limit means either the launcher is crappy or u have the 32 bits version instead of the 64. Anyway you should have decent fps with 2Gb of ram on the client, I'd say the bottleneck is somewhere else.

Skincrawler

Jul 29, 2019
Using which launcher? A 2Gb limit means either the launcher is crappy or u have the 32 bits version instead of the 64. Anyway you should have decent fps with 2Gb of ram on the client, I'd say the bottleneck is somewhere else.
It's using the ftb launcher , ya I have never tested java 8 at 2gb, I'll try it and see. But I think I have stuck with java 7 simply cause I have had some modpacks say they can't use java 8.

TigerShark

Jul 29, 2019
It's using the ftb launcher , ya I have never tested java 8 at 2gb, I'll try it and see. But I think I have stuck with java 7 simply cause I have had some modpacks say they can't use java 8.

Mmmm I don't remember any change in 8 that breaks code from 7 (there was such a change from 6 to 7 though), but may be possible.

For some packs, java 8 is a must. I don't really get why but it is XD
There is a new garbage collector in 8 (G1) but it's not even the default so...

About farming hats/exp/necro parts, the slime arrows are crafted with 1 slime ball and spawn more slimes when used which drop, guess what... yes, slime balls. Infinite mob farm :p (you do spend some sticks and bow durability though)

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, they should not even be there!

Which ruin exactly did you find the chest in? None of the items you mentioned above should ever show up in any loot chests. I am wondering if that ruin might be spawning a different kind of loot chest. To be more clear, minecraft keeps a different list of items for each types of chests you can find in a vanilla world, the basic dungeon, jungle temple, desert pyramid, village smithy, and the abandoned mineshafts, all of those have separate lists. For my ruins I am only using the basic dungeon chests so that was the only list I modified. However it is possible that one of the random chests is using a different list instead :(

I will have to look into it after the live stream today.

I will get a screenshot of the ruin tonight. It had two chests in what looked kind of like a decaying stone blockhouse. It was an above-ground structure composed of stone bricks, crumbled stone bricks, and cobble if I'm remembering right, and definitely not a 'basic dungeon, jungle temple, etc...'

Reactions: OneWolfe