[1.7.10] TerraFirmaPunk 2.0 - TerraFirmaCraft & SteamPunk Adventures

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, here we go.

Contents one iron shovel, one iron pick, couple of iron hoes, some wheat, and some bread. I tried the pick on a couple of blocks (you can see the hole in the wall in the second pick) and it went through gabbro brick just fine and quite fast.

Also...I tamed some wolves! Never did that before in TFC, so I need to do some research, but even though they have reached 'gold' with a white outline, they won't breed when fed meat and won't attack enemies. I'm probably doing something wrong.

EDIT: Figured out the breeding, they have to be fed up to full health, first...They have hearts when fed, but that doesn't mean anything, apparently, until they're at full health.

They still won't enter combat on my behalf, though.

Last edited:

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, here we go.

Contents one iron shovel, one iron pick, couple of iron hoes, some wheat, and some bread. I tried the pick on a couple of blocks (you can see the hole in the wall in the second pick) and it went through gabbro brick just fine and quite fast.

Also...I tamed some wolves! Never did that before in TFC, so I need to do some research, but even though they have reached 'gold' with a white outline, they won't breed when fed meat and won't attack enemies. I'm probably doing something wrong.

EDIT: Figured out the breeding, they have to be fed up to full health, first...They have hearts when fed, but that doesn't mean anything, apparently, until they're at full health.

They still won't enter combat on my behalf, though.

Not sure why you needed to put an image link in a spoiler tag :p But that is the Mausoleum that originally came with the Ruins mod, and it looks like it is using different loot chest types so I will have to change those out for the next update. However any of those ruins that have already been generated in your worlds will still have they loot items that they were created with, so for now just destroy anything you feel is useless or too OP. I personally dont care if you use tools found in chests, since I put bronze and copper ones in there anyways. But the vanilla ones have far less durrability so enjoy them while they last :p

Slywyn

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed Ex Nihilo was added to the newest version, but I logged in to check things out and it appears that everything's still using the 'vanilla' recipes? Or is there something I'm missing to be able to make normal wood planks?

After further testing it appears you can get to the Twilight Forest(Making a portal the normal way doesn't work, you have to give yourself one) and the trees there(despite using TFC models) give you normal vanilla wood which allows crafting of the sieve and things like that, but the game started running so badly I couldn't continue with testing, so I didn't get a chance to see if things work normally.

Also there were a lot of issues with creative mode and adding things to your inventory not 'sticking', for lack of a better word, you'd give yourself items and you'd have to update your game mode a few times before they'd appear.

Also Lycanite's mobs were spawning even with the game difficulty set to peaceful, I don't think they should be doing that?

Skincrawler

Jul 29, 2019
This is not a pack issue but a personal one, Is there anyway to delete or drastically modify certain mobs in the pack?
I set up camp in a swamp and the mosquito's there are insane, I tried modifying there damage in mob properties down to like 1 but they still hit like bricks,
tried to even delete them entirely but the game replace the file when I restart.
I get there bugs and to be annoying but even putting there damage at 1 still for some reason one kill me a 400 health and full leather.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
This is not a pack issue but a personal one, Is there anyway to delete or drastically modify certain mobs in the pack?
I set up camp in a swamp and the mosquito's there are insane, I tried modifying there damage in mob properties down to like 1 but they still hit like bricks,
tried to even delete them entirely but the game replace the file when I restart.
I get there bugs and to be annoying but even putting there damage at 1 still for some reason one kill me a 400 health and full leather.

All the mob spawning details are in JustAnotherSpawner, but reducing mob damage to 1 is pointless if you also leave EnableVanillaDamageScaling=true in the TerraFirmaPunkTweaks.cfg file because it will just multiply the damage anyways.

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
The mosquitoes are pretty horrible, yeah. Apparently swamps are Not For New Players. Unfortunately, unlike the Twilight Forest, there's no graphical signal that you're in a bad place...You just wander around wondering where the mobs you can see on your minimap are until suddenly you realize that swarm of dots is...And you're dead.

So, I don't want to spoil this for anyone but OMG the underwater ruins are awesome.
As in boomer.

Let's see, what else...

TwiForest mobs are dropping the usual TwiFor armor/gear-creation loot. And that King Spider spawner was HORRIBLE. Is the TwiFor loot actually useful/worth creating? If not, something that nasty should probably have its loot-table changed to drop things that'd be useful for the player.

EDIT: I just saw that the TF gear is used in certain recipes. Very nice.

Last edited:

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
TwiForest mobs are dropping the usual TwiFor armor/gear-creation loot. And that King Spider spawner was HORRIBLE. Is the TwiFor loot actually useful/worth creating? If not, something that nasty should probably have its loot-table changed to drop things that'd be useful for the player.

There is a reason why the portal to the Twilight Forest is disabled. If you go there and are getting loot its your own fault. I will not be supporting ANY of the alternate dimensions at this time. Maybe in the distant future, but not any time soon.

Almost all of the mobs spawning in the Overworld should be tweaked to drop acceptable or usable loot. With the huge number of mobs that were added by Lycanites it has been very hard for me to track down everything they are dropping. The best thing you could do to help with bad loot drops is to provide a better idea of where you find it. For mobs, the name of the mob or better yet, the mob type because alot of the mobs have random names like Bob or Charlie, what item they dropped, and where you found them. It just makes it easier for me to find their Mob Properties files and change the drops there.

I am currently working with the programmer who scaled the poison damage to see if it is also possible to scale the other weapon damage so that TF weapons may become more useful in the future. And yes some of the tools, like the Giant's Pick and Swords will be required for crafting certain machines, like the BC pump for example. My goal is to make mob hunting an essential part of this pack, and tech progression to require locating and farming rare or unique monsters.

The pack still needs alot of balance and play testing so I appreciate all of these kinds of comments :D

Slywyn

Jul 29, 2019
The pack still needs alot of balance and play testing so I appreciate all of these kinds of comments :D

So... about the Ex Nihilo stuff I posted earlier then? Is it being worked on? Is a config being made? What's up with it at the moment? Currently the only way to craft them is by obtaining vanilla wood.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
So... about the Ex Nihilo stuff I posted earlier then? Is it being worked on? Is a config being made? What's up with it at the moment? Currently the only way to craft them is by obtaining vanilla wood.

The simple answer: Yes :cool:

Ex Nihilo has been in the pack since early January so its not exactly a new feature, but I just did not know where I was going to go with it, until yesterday. For now the Crook works and the Silk Worms do if your quick because they instantly despawn when they cant find any vanilla wood. Yesterday I did work on fixing the crafting recipes, but I am still not entirely sure how this mod will fit into the pack. I think the Sieve might work as an alternative to the Sluice and as an additional means to acquire Aluminum and Tungsten for the higher tier tech, but I dont want to make anything in Ex Nihilo absolutely required. It was merely a mod I added as an after thought and to test it out for the possibility of ever making a TFC Skyblock. The mod does have some potential and I am going to be playing around with it in the future, but right now I am really pushing to get the questbook finished. Once that is done I should have more time to dedicate to Ex Nihilo because it is a mod that is going to take alot of time and attention.

Just out of curiosity what would you like to see from Ex Nihilo in a pack like this?

Slywyn

Jul 29, 2019
I think I'd prefer if Nihilo was reserved for very rare materials. A way to find things like Kaolinite and Graphite, maybe some of the higher tier materials. If you made it require wood blocks(TFC wood blocks, the ones you craft with planks), that requires you to have a saw, which at least requires you to have metal, so you couldn't chop down a tree and kill a few spiders and have metal production going in a few hours.

Edit: You could also require a Sieve to have something higher-tier in it's construction. Maybe it needs a 'wool net' or something instead of the spider one, which requires you to spin yarn which means you have to have cloth production. Just an idea.

Also since you can config Sieves to require certain materials, or only work for certain items, it would be possible for you to limit their use to only the types of rock/dirt/cobble/gravel/sand that the material you want spawns on(For example, Kaolinite only spawns in Sedimentary Stone).

Basically my 'ideal' for something like the Ex Nihilo Sieve would be a bit like an 'unlimited, targetted' Sluice. Something you could use to augment your metal/mineral mining, rather than replace it. And I'd also remove all the options to automate it.

I've actually been trying to config Ex Nihilo to work with TFC for that exact purpose, to act as a way to find certain rarer materials without wandering a world fruitlessly for multiple real-world days, because having literally everything necessary for metalworking -except- a crucible is incredibly frustrating, and leaves your entire progression up to RNG- which isn't fun at all.

There's also an argument for making these results with a Sieve very rare, but if you're resorting to a completely un-automatable thing like a Sieve(if you turn off automation, anyway) to get these materials, I don't believe it's necessary to further punish someone by making the material they're looking for extremely rare. it shouldn't be particularly common but I don't think it's desirable to force them to Sieve 1,000 blocks for 1 piece of Kaolinite, for example.

Also I would like to say that I would absolutely adore a TerraFirmaCraft Skyblock.

Nihilo Barrels are sort of redundant, TFC barrels are better in basically every way, outside of the rare materials I mentioned(like Soul Sand or Spawning Endermen or something like that). Maybe disable the uses of them that aren't for getting these rarer materials?

Crucibles... I'm not sure what you should do with the crucibles, to be completely honest with you. I'd almost say to disable them, remove the recipe, because I can't think of anything they do that you'd want people to be able to do as early as a Crucible would allow.

Most of the other stuff seems fine, you could add ore doubling in a very slow way with the way that you can crush ores down from Gravel > Sand > Dust, maybe that'd be acceptable?

Basically I think the role that Ex Nihilo/Aquilo should fill in a TFC-type pack would be a stopgap for people hurting for rarer materials, not a replacement for normal material gathering. If that makes sense?

Last edited:

TheElectricCake

Jul 29, 2019
There is a reason why the portal to the Twilight Forest is disabled. If you go there and are getting loot its your own fault. I will not be supporting ANY of the alternate dimensions at this time. Maybe in the distant future, but not any time soon.

Negative, I was not clear. I have not created, gone through, nor attempted to go through a TF portal. Mobs FROM the Twilight Forest, spawning IN the Overworld is what I was talking about. I am looting them and getting goblin armor fragments and steeleaf and the like. However, I now see that there are recipes which use these drops to create items in Flaxbeard's Steampower.

Almost all of the mobs spawning in the Overworld should be tweaked to drop acceptable or usable loot. With the huge number of mobs that were added by Lycanites it has been very hard for me to track down everything they are dropping. The best thing you could do to help with bad loot drops is to provide a better idea of where you find it. For mobs, the name of the mob or better yet, the mob type because alot of the mobs have random names like Bob or Charlie, what item they dropped, and where you found them. It just makes it easier for me to find their Mob Properties files and change the drops there.

Understood, I will try to be clearer in my bug-reporting.

I am currently working with the programmer who scaled the poison damage to see if it is also possible to scale the other weapon damage so that TF weapons may become more useful in the future. And yes some of the tools, like the Giant's Pick and Swords will be required for crafting certain machines, like the BC pump for example. My goal is to make mob hunting an essential part of this pack, and tech progression to require locating and farming rare or unique monsters.

Ex Nihilo has been in the pack since early January so its not exactly a new feature, but I just did not know where I was going to go with it, until yesterday. For now the Crook works and the Silk Worms do if your quick because they instantly despawn when they cant find any vanilla wood. Yesterday I did work on fixing the crafting recipes, but I am still not entirely sure how this mod will fit into the pack. I think the Sieve might work as an alternative to the Sluice and as an additional means to acquire Aluminum and Tungsten for the higher tier tech, but I dont want to make anything in Ex Nihilo absolutely required. It was merely a mod I added as an after thought and to test it out for the possibility of ever making a TFC Skyblock. The mod does have some potential and I am going to be playing around with it in the future, but right now I am really pushing to get the questbook finished. Once that is done I should have more time to dedicate to Ex Nihilo because it is a mod that is going to take alot of time and attention.

Just out of curiosity what would you like to see from Ex Nihilo in a pack like this?

I will be frank. There was a while there where every FTB pack under the sun had Ex Nihilo. It is a good mod, I am not knocking the mod for what it does, but rather for how it is used...The default skyblock resource mod. I am not thrilled to see it included. When you state that it's an afterthought and something you don't want to be absolutely required, that makes me even more inclined to say "Leave it out."

Instead, I would strongly suggest you keep doing what you have been doing. Modify or create recipes in other modpacks (Steambeard's Flaxpower, et al.) to provide access to the resources which Ex Nihilo is usually used for. This will go a long way to making your skyblock distinct from others instead of "Oh, look, we're on a skyblock, time to sieve again."

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see any point in using Ex Nihilo in a "normal" world. If you want to add an alternate method to obtain some resources there has to be a better way than adding Ex Nihilo and then disabling 95% of the mod. Add it to the chest loot table, make it a building block in one of the worldgen structure types, add it is a mob drop, etc.

Ex Nihilo discourages exploration---something perfectly fine in a skyblock, not at all in a TFC pack, IMHO.

Slywyn

Jul 29, 2019
Add it to the chest loot table, make it a building block in one of the worldgen structure types, add it is a mob drop, etc.

My problem of doing that would be that you're once again leaving your progression up to the fickle whims of RNG.

At least if you can Sieve for the rarer materials, you can eventually guarantee that you'll get what you need with enough effort expended- if you leave it up to worldgen or loot or mob drops, you end up with exactly the same problem that finding it's biome and rock type has in the first place. If your world doesn't want to give it to you, it won't, and you're stuck back in exactly the same place that you were to begin with.

That's why I suggest it be made as an alternate, not a replacement.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Its all part of that grand balancing act. Sometimes I add something that makes the game incredibly hard and then turn around and put in something to make it easier. But balancing it all out can be such a pain :p

Skincrawler

Jul 29, 2019
My problem of doing that would be that you're once again leaving your progression up to the fickle whims of RNG.

At least if you can Sieve for the rarer materials, you can eventually guarantee that you'll get what you need with enough effort expended- if you leave it up to worldgen or loot or mob drops, you end up with exactly the same problem that finding it's biome and rock type has in the first place. If your world doesn't want to give it to you, it won't, and you're stuck back in exactly the same place that you were to begin with.

That's why I suggest it be made as an alternate, not a replacement.
I am gonna agree with you there in vanilla tfc I once had to travel 20000 blocks in order to find rocksalt.
It is used for only one thing and that was a long way to go for one item
And in all that time you can only carry so much on you.
Now there is a mod that gives you a evaporator pan that I think give you 2 salt every 8 hours not sure haven't tested it but a good trade of since the ocean is salt water and let's me do other stuff instead of traveling all the time because my world seed is jumbled.
I love a challange but with a purpose not so much random chance.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I've always thought fighting the RNG was part of the TFC experience. Picking where to build is invariably a trade-off of what it has vs. what I will need later on. As far as having to travel a very long way to find stuff I don't really mind since I'm in a boat. I just keep sailing taking notes of what the surface rock is each time it switches.

You have to make those trips anyhow for things that grow either further north or south of where you call home, after all.

Bit of a mini-game packing your barrel for the trip, deciding what you have to take vs. having space to bring stuff back. I suppose that is one of the reason tool heads stack.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
I've always thought fighting the RNG was part of the TFC experience. Picking where to build is invariably a trade-off of what it has vs. what I will need later on. As far as having to travel a very long way to find stuff I don't really mind since I'm in a boat. I just keep sailing taking notes of what the surface rock is each time it switches.

You have to make those trips anyhow for things that grow either further north or south of where you call home, after all.

Bit of a mini-game packing your barrel for the trip, deciding what you have to take vs. having space to bring stuff back. I suppose that is one of the reason tool heads stack.

Once you have Archimedes ships working, deciding where to build is not longer a decision you need to make :D

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Once you have Archimedes ships working, deciding where to build is not longer a decision you need to make :D

By that time the decision is already made though. I find that fruit trees tend to keep me in a specific location once I've planted some of them.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
By that time the decision is already made though. I find that fruit trees tend to keep me in a specific location once I've planted some of them.

LOL, I never actually tested the Ships with TFC farmland and crops :p but I know livestock will often fall out.

Skincrawler

Jul 29, 2019

I agree with you as well the pan is not the best way to get salt but another option. You need copper, anvil, to even set it up.
In my old world I had like 10 pans set up and just went back and forth
As part of my daily grind
You can travel thousands of blocks to find explore, fill one barrel with all you need or play a small mini game either way has its advantages or disadvantages.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk