[1.7.10] Stranded on the Beach [HQM][100+ Quests][Hard]

Sahid

Jul 29, 2019
Tech. It's the center of many modpacks, and provides a power that vanilla simply can't provide. People have grown to use it more and more, and as a result, it became more and more powerful. Stranded on the Beach attempts to remedy that. Pulverizer before you even have diamonds? Haha, no... The pack aims to take you through mods you may not have used before, such as mariculture and witchery. Don't like them? No problem, you merely have to dip your toes. Additionally, I have nerfed the mods as I see fit, to create a uniform sense of balance throughout the pack, and I have tried to reduce the situations where there is one mod that is clearly the best option. Find quests a little boring? The pack aims to use quests as a guideline, and adds loads of rich lore and story as you play. The pack is normal generation, and I'm proud of that. Packs with special worldgen can be fun, but there are too many packs with gimmicks these days, and I did not want my pack to be one of those.

Have fun,
Six

Code: SotB

Changelog:
Released the pack, have fun!
Updated mariculture to fix the NEI crashes.

Modlist:
Armor Status HUD
bspkrsCore
Damage Indicators
Status Effect HUD
Apple Core
Applied Energistics 2
Archimedes Ships
Baubles
BiblioCraft
BiblioWoods(BOP, Forestry, Natura)
Big Reactors
Blood Magic
Botania
Carpenters Blocks
Chicken Chunks
Chisel
Code Chicken Core
CoFH Core
Enchidion
Ender IO
Ender Storage
Ender Tech
ExtraCells
ExtraTiC
Extra Utilities
Flat Signs
Funky Locomotion
Growthcraft(Apples, Bamboo, Cellar, Core, Grapes, Hops, Rice)
Hardcore Ender Expansion
Hats
Hardcore Questing Mode
Hunger Overhaul
iChun Util
Iguana's Tinkers Tweaks
Inventory Tweaks
Iron Chests
Jabba
Mapwriter
Mariculture
Metallurgy
Metallurgy Core
Minefactory Reloaded
Minetweaker 3
Modtweaker
Natura
NEI Integration
Not Enough Items
OpenBlocks
OpenComputers
OpenEye
OpenModsLib
OpenPeripherals - All In One
Pam's Harvestcraft
Railcraft
Simply Jetpacks
Steve's Carts 2
Steve's Factory Manager
Tinkers Construct
Thaumcraft
Thaumic Tinkerer
Thermal Expansion
Thermal Foundation
TiC Tooltips
Tinkers Mechworks
Translocators
Traveller's Gear
Twilight Forest
Waila
Waila Harvestability
Witchery
WR-CBE

Credits:
kioskcoin and babasoonist for giving me feedback with ideas, and knocking some sense into me when I got too crazy.
FrozenGecko, for doing my fabulous art.

Hey Six. Thanks for the awesome mudpack. Wanted to point out, as I was going through the mod list, I believe you misspelled Enchiridion. You wrote Enchidion there in the list, and I could not find anything under that.

Sahid

Jul 29, 2019
When you start out in this pack, the only thing you have to make is the flint tools. Until that time you don't have the ability to make food any other way. In my second world I had no animals spawning for some reason and have very few gardens. It wasn't long till I had died of starvation, I like to play these worlds on hard. if you have left in the ability to make the flint mattock I would have been able to use what gardens I did get to make at least a small garden. In the last world I had I did have the abilities to make a metal mattock because of the village, so yes I do see where you say you can still make a metal one.

When my pickaxe leveled up it did NOT go up in level as you described. It stayed at only being able to mine stone. When it leveled the second time it still could not mine anything other then stone. When I spammed out a HUGE room underground I finally leveled up and was granted the ability to mine something higher then stone. I still couldn't mine gold, aluminum, iron, or anything else.

I'm not trying to come off as harsh or judging unfairly, if I have then I apologize for that. It's sometimes not easy to get mood across in writing and sometimes the mood that does come across isn't the one the writer intended.

Hey AF_Bunny. Sahid to the rescue. Go chop down some Rubber Trees (from MFR) cook the rubber once, then cook that into plastic. Make Plastic Sheets out of plastic, and use the plastic right in the Part Builder to make ALL your tooks, down to a Hammer. Just don't use plastic for the handle. If you make a mattock with plastic axe and plastic shovel and use a stick as your handle, you will have a 1,500 durability tool. Same goes for a Pickaxe. It will level up to mining Copper, 1500 durability, no smeltery required. Your best friend right there. Hope I helped.

Primal Demon

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm i think im guna make a series of this mod pack.
it seems great and i love the idea of taking you through the mods you may not have tried before :)

Sahid

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Six.

I have played the mudpack for about 10 hours so far, and thought I would provide some feedback. A friend recommended this pack to me, and although I usually like packs with way more challenge (such as MadPack2 for example), I did find this pack challenging enough. But this pack is challenging in a whole different way; it just makes things we've come to love, such as Iguana, Pam's Harvestcraft, etc., more "difficult", and by that I mean more annoying. I don't know about the rest, but I absolutely love the extra modifiers, especially when there are lots of levels like in SkyFactory2 for example. Makes you want to get out there and hunt more. I noticed that this pack is geared towards the things I don't like (Blood Magic) and things that are over my head (Thaumcraft). I have always been a Mekanism, MFR, stuff like that kind a guy. But it was not all lost for me, cause I LOVE the HQM mod. But although I know what it takes to make 100+ quest, I have to say, so much work spent, why not finish it? There are people like me, who although at first glance will dismiss the pack due to the mods in it, and more importantly, the mods that aren't in it, but they will still give it a go just because of HQM - people love achievements :) But when quests are made and there are no rewards, or as someone above mentioned they were even offended by 64 controllers, it completely turns people off, to say the least. No one wants to purchase a lottery ticket for $200 with a maximum possible prize of $20. Sure the sheer going for the goal is great, but a nice reward at the end is soooo much greater.

In closing, I am not a professional mudpack builder, but I am a professional mudpack player. I have beat every pack (that had a built-in definition of beating a pack) I have played. I have a great idea about pack makers and pack breakers. I know what makes a pack popular among people like me - the players. If you can get anything out of this long monologue, great. If not, then please forgive the old man ranting ;)

Sahid.

Reactions: AF_Bunny

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Six. Thanks for the awesome mudpack. Wanted to point out, as I was going through the mod list, I believe you misspelled Enchiridion. You wrote Enchidion there in the list, and I could not find anything under that.
I did indeed mean enchiridion, thanks for pointing that out.
Hey Six.

I have played the mudpack for about 10 hours so far, and thought I would provide some feedback. A friend recommended this pack to me, and although I usually like packs with way more challenge (such as MadPack2 for example), I did find this pack challenging enough. But this pack is challenging in a whole different way; it just makes things we've come to love, such as Iguana, Pam's Harvestcraft, etc., more "difficult", and by that I mean more annoying. I don't know about the rest, but I absolutely love the extra modifiers, especially when there are lots of levels like in SkyFactory2 for example. Makes you want to get out there and hunt more. I noticed that this pack is geared towards the things I don't like (Blood Magic) and things that are over my head (Thaumcraft). I have always been a Mekanism, MFR, stuff like that kind a guy. But it was not all lost for me, cause I LOVE the HQM mod. But although I know what it takes to make 100+ quest, I have to say, so much work spent, why not finish it? There are people like me, who although at first glance will dismiss the pack due to the mods in it, and more importantly, the mods that aren't in it, but they will still give it a go just because of HQM - people love achievements :) But when quests are made and there are no rewards, or as someone above mentioned they were even offended by 64 controllers, it completely turns people off, to say the least. No one wants to purchase a lottery ticket for $200 with a maximum possible prize of $20. Sure the sheer going for the goal is great, but a nice reward at the end is soooo much greater.

In closing, I am not a professional mudpack builder, but I am a professional mudpack player. I have beat every pack (that had a built-in definition of beating a pack) I have played. I have a great idea about pack makers and pack breakers. I know what makes a pack popular among people like me - the players. If you can get anything out of this long monologue, great. If not, then please forgive the old man ranting ;)

Sahid.
Well, thanks for the honesty, but I have a couple things I would like clarification on. Pam's and and Iguana's, I left them pretty much unchanged, what is it you dislike? And I agree, I love the extra modifiers, I just find that when I'm making end game tools such as manyllyun, and I get something like unbreaking, or silk touch, it just makes me want to curse the game. And as for the magic, how do you feel it is geared towards it? I personally dislike blood magic, and so I only added it for others, but I tried to make it so that if you did not want to do magic, you could do all tech and never touch the stuff. And, as a lot of people have been recommending it, I have been trying to add rewards, but I use HQM as more of an achievement/tutorial kind of thing, so while I may not always reward you for doing something you'd be doing anyways, I ALWAYS give some sort of reward for a consume quest, if the reward isn't adequate that is a different story. As for the 64 controllers, I thought that would be a joke people might find funny, but I've changed it to 8 seared brick in the next version. As for the mods, which would you want to see in it?

tl;dr: Please clarify, and if you have suggestions for mods, rewards for quests, quests themselves, etc, go for it! Worst case scenario I say no :)

Last edited:

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
Hey SixOnTheBeach
I put my first episode of this mod pack... feel free to tell me all the nooby things im doing :)
Watched the whole thing, really cool! And as for the quest rewards, I've redone them to give much more of a reward in the next update, expect it in a couple days :p As for a tip? Get some darn food :D But really, nothing quite as cool as watching someone enjoy a pack you've poured a lot if work into.
Side note: Find some lava, that's what the clay buckets are for! :p

Reactions: Primal Demon

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, for now I've delayed the modtweaker stuff, you'll have to deal with those pesky metallurgy smeltery alloys a little while longer. The pack is currently being uploaded, but I thought I'd give fair warning for this. The changes I've made to HQM have reset a lot of the quests, so you'll have to redo them, or cheat the stuff in. Much as it pains me, there is nothing I can do to prevent this.

Reactions: Primal Demon

Primal Demon

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, for now I've delayed the modtweaker stuff, you'll have to deal with those pesky metallurgy smeltery alloys a little while longer. The pack is currently being uploaded, but I thought I'd give fair warning for this. The changes I've made to HQM have reset a lot of the quests, so you'll have to redo them, or cheat the stuff in. Much as it pains me, there is nothing I can do to prevent this.
Can you use /HQM edit to 1 click complete the quests?