[1.7.10] RusticCraft

Vudhu

Jul 29, 2019
You should be able to mine Obsidian with an Iron pickaxe since the latest version. Before that it was necessary to combine Lava and Water in a Smeltery to create Obsidian which can be used to make Alumite.

I've done some looking around and it looks like i'll have to make a cast for the smeltery to make it instead of a regular pattern. Is that right? Or were you supposed to be able to make it with a normal pattern too?

Havanacus

Jul 29, 2019
I've done some looking around and it looks like i'll have to make a cast for the smeltery to make it instead of a regular pattern. Is that right? Or were you supposed to be able to make it with a normal pattern too?
That's right, with Tinker's Construct metal tool parts are made with molten metal poured into casts while other kinds of toolparts are made using Stencils in the Part Builder. Also, the tooltip of Stencils and Casts will tell you what materials can be used with them.

Vudhu

Jul 29, 2019
That's right, with Tinker's Construct metal tool parts are made with molten metal poured into casts while other kinds of toolparts are made using Stencils in the Part Builder. Also, the tooltip of Stencils and Casts will tell you what materials can be used with them.

Awesome. I got it all working and I couldn't finish it because I had to go to work.

I'd like to reiterate on the ores. Like I said, it doesn't seem to cause a problem, but ores from artifice and another mod are spawning along with normal ores.

Same for copper. Those are the only ores I've been able to see that replicated so far. Just coal and copper.

Btw, its cool to be able to talk to the guy that put everything together. Love the work you put into it and I hope it get better. Imma fan. Thanks for the pack.

Ill post if I find any other out of place things.

Abecedarius

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome. I got it all working and I couldn't finish it because I had to go to work.

I'd like to reiterate on the ores. Like I said, it doesn't seem to cause a problem, but ores from artifice and another mod are spawning along with normal ores.

Same for copper. Those are the only ores I've been able to see that replicated so far. Just coal and copper.

Btw, its cool to be able to talk to the guy that put everything together. Love the work you put into it and I hope it get better. Imma fan. Thanks for the pack.

Ill post if I find any other out of place things.

Artifice will just make any ores that spawn in black rock (forget the name) look like they're black, but they drop the normal ore when you mine them. If for whatever reason they drop the black version instead, try using a non-Silk Touch pick. Works for me anyway.

Vudhu

Jul 29, 2019
Artifice will just make any ores that spawn in black rock (forget the name) look like they're black, but they drop the normal ore when you mine them. If for whatever reason they drop the black version instead, try using a non-Silk Touch pick. Works for me anyway.

I think silktouch is bugged for me. I have a pickaxe with it (flint head, wood binding, bone handle) and it no longer mines anything at all. Its speed is at 0 and it doesn't even break cobble.

Basalt? I've seen a lot of that, but the coal and copper ores all drop the same copper and coal, but the visuals are different. It could just be because I use a texture pack as well, though. I'm not really sure.

Last edited:

Vudhu

Jul 29, 2019
Found another bug? I got the iron pickaxe made and it says i can mine Obsidian with it, but I can't and it says i require cobalt for that.

Edit: nevermind, i'm just confused by your edits i guess?

Last edited:

Indras

Jul 29, 2019
Found another bug? I got the iron pickaxe made and it says i can mine Obsidian with it, but I can't and it says i require cobalt for that.

Edit: nevermind, i'm just confused by your edits i guess?

The way I did it was to make some buckets, which just require iron, and pour the lava out and quench it with water one bucket at a time, into the shape of a gate. It is an old trick:

Reactions: FyahBurn

Havanacus

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a doofus. I changed the Obsidian Mining Level in the MaterialOverride.cfg rather then the BlockOverride.cfg file, so instead of reducing the required Mining Level for Obsidian I lowered the effective Mining Level of Obsidian Toolparts. I could swear I had tested this though.
I'll fix that in the next update and I'll also look into renaming the Mining Levels. I won't update for that alone though so it may be a while.

I think silktouch is bugged for me. I have a pickaxe with it (flint head, wood binding, bone handle) and it no longer mines anything at all. Its speed is at 0 and it doesn't even break cobble.
Silktouch is not bugged, it just lowers the tool's Speed marginally. A low-tiered tool like Flint will become unusable until you upgrade it with a better head. It feels a bit silly when it happens to your first pick, but at least now you've got a Silktouch pick early on.

I've been looking into it and everything seems to be working as intended.
Artifice ores happen when Artifice generates Marble/Basalt/Limestone. Any ores already in place turn into the matching Artifice version. Unless you Silktouch them, Artifice ores turn into their normal versions when you mine them. Unfortunately, Artifice decided that the normal version of Copper is the Mariculture one and there's no apparent way to change that. In earlier versions of the pack I tried to unify all ores to Tinkers versions, but when this was discovered I changed Copper Worldgen to Mariculture for consistancy.

I thought I had found some Tinker's Copper myself yesterday, so I took your message as confirmation that something was up. I went back to check today and it seems that I was just looking at Tinker's Tin which has a similar brown color. I was tired yesterday...
I also poked around a new and an old world in Creative. Everything seems to be dandy on the OreGen front.

Vudhu

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a doofus. I changed the Obsidian Mining Level in the MaterialOverride.cfg rather then the BlockOverride.cfg file, so instead of reducing the required Mining Level for Obsidian I lowered the effective Mining Level of Obsidian Toolparts. I could swear I had tested this though.
I'll fix that in the next update and I'll also look into renaming the Mining Levels. I won't update for that alone though so it may be a while.

Silktouch is not bugged, it just lowers the tool's Speed marginally. A low-tiered tool like Flint will become unusable until you upgrade it with a better head. It feels a bit silly when it happens to your first pick, but at least now you've got a Silktouch pick early on.

I've been looking into it and everything seems to be working as intended.
Artifice ores happen when Artifice generates Marble/Basalt/Limestone. Any ores already in place turn into the matching Artifice version. Unless you Silktouch them, Artifice ores turn into their normal versions when you mine them. Unfortunately, Artifice decided that the normal version of Copper is the Mariculture one and there's no apparent way to change that. In earlier versions of the pack I tried to unify all ores to Tinkers versions, but when this was discovered I changed Copper Worldgen to Mariculture for consistancy.

I thought I had found some Tinker's Copper myself yesterday, so I took your message as confirmation that something was up. I went back to check today and it seems that I was just looking at Tinker's Tin which has a similar brown color. I was tired yesterday...
I also poked around a new and an old world in Creative. Everything seems to be dandy on the OreGen front.

Yeah, ores are fine, it was just my texture pack. Ha

Pick is fine now and everything else seems to be fine. Still a great pack and I've got a nice little camp going. I really like the pack in that it feels like I'm actually having to do more in the early-mid game instead of getting straight to the late. Feels rewarding.

Gelles

Oct 24, 2014
Great pack (I'm Tairgire's friend), it was just what I needed after getting burned out on all the five hundred tech packs that all claim to have a theme but then all add the exact same hundred or so mods. I was looking for something truer to vanilla, with an actual focus on mining and crafting, and RusticCraft aligns with what I wanted beautifully. I even enjoy that while my friend can focus on magic (Thaumcraft and Witchery), I can drill down through the technology that's available.

With regards to mining obsidian (at least until the fix is released), use steel. It looks like the Railcraft Blast Furnace is disabled, but in its place is the Steelworks High Furnace. Steel has a mining strength of manyullan. Pig iron is another alternative, but steel is easy to make and stronger.

Some things I've noticed:

If you're an explorer and can raid a few dungeons, food becomes a non-entity, even with Spice of Life. I have enough pizza, burgers, spaghetti, curry, hearty breakfasts, and beef wellington to last me another two weeks, even with diminishing returns (snack on some fruits and veggies from the plentiful gardens and the diminishing value of the bigger meals falls off quick). If you have a way to edit dungeon loot, I would probably reduce HarvestCraft food showing up by about half.

I can't seem to make the OpenBlocks Radio, but I've found about a dozen of the tuned crystal items as dungeon loot, making them pretty useless.

You can add waypoints to an Antique Atlas map, but I haven't found a way to delete them. I'm assuming I'm just too unfamiliar with that mod.

Deadly World is evil.
The Nether is evil.
You're evil.

I found a use for silver nuggets: 3 nuggets can be converted into 3 silver coins (Artifice). 1 silver coin can be converted down into 4 copper coins, which can be smelted into 4 copper nuggets. Or 4 silver coins can be converted up into a gold coin and smelted into a gold ingot. Just don't melt the silver because then you wind up with a tank full of molten silver and nothing to do with it.

I'm really enjoying this pack.

Reactions: Havanacus

Havanacus

Jul 29, 2019
Great pack (I'm Tairgire's friend), it was just what I needed after getting burned out on all the five hundred tech packs that all claim to have a theme but then all add the exact same hundred or so mods. I was looking for something truer to vanilla, with an actual focus on mining and crafting, and RusticCraft aligns with what I wanted beautifully. I even enjoy that while my friend can focus on magic (Thaumcraft and Witchery), I can drill down through the technology that's available.

With regards to mining obsidian (at least until the fix is released), use steel. It looks like the Railcraft Blast Furnace is disabled, but in its place is the Steelworks High Furnace. Steel has a mining strength of manyullan. Pig iron is another alternative, but steel is easy to make and stronger.

Some things I've noticed:

If you're an explorer and can raid a few dungeons, food becomes a non-entity, even with Spice of Life. I have enough pizza, burgers, spaghetti, curry, hearty breakfasts, and beef wellington to last me another two weeks, even with diminishing returns (snack on some fruits and veggies from the plentiful gardens and the diminishing value of the bigger meals falls off quick). If you have a way to edit dungeon loot, I would probably reduce HarvestCraft food showing up by about half.

I can't seem to make the OpenBlocks Radio, but I've found about a dozen of the tuned crystal items as dungeon loot, making them pretty useless.

You can add waypoints to an Antique Atlas map, but I haven't found a way to delete them. I'm assuming I'm just too unfamiliar with that mod.

Deadly World is evil.
The Nether is evil.
You're evil.

I found a use for silver nuggets: 3 nuggets can be converted into 3 silver coins (Artifice). 1 silver coin can be converted down into 4 copper coins, which can be smelted into 4 copper nuggets. Or 4 silver coins can be converted up into a gold coin and smelted into a gold ingot. Just don't melt the silver because then you wind up with a tank full of molten silver and nothing to do with it.

I'm really enjoying this pack.

I'm glad you enjoy it.

Combining Water and Lave in a Smeltery and using the resulting Molten Obsidian to make Alumite is easier then making Steel.

Too Much Loot was included in earlier versions, but it broke the metadata on any Tinker's Tools that spawned in chests so I removed it. If someone's going to chow on raw vegetables just to reset their Spice of Life counter, I can't stop them and don't care too. I'm not that evil.

I actually still haven't used Antique Atlas beyond my initial testing. No idea how it work.

I'm disappointed Artifice can be used to convert metals. That'll be fixed in the next version.

Abecedarius

Jul 29, 2019
Of all the bizarre obscurites...

Reactions: ZephyrWindSpirit

Gelles

Oct 24, 2014
Of all the bizarre obscurites...

A benefit to having many people playing: fresh eyes and wicked minds. ^.^

You can also make platinum this way. Much like silver, there's no use for it, but converting up enough coins does allow for it.

At the moment, though, I'm just throwing all the silver I find into lava.

This is my first real foray into Tinker's Construct. By the time I needed to think about mining obsidian, I read through the books and realized I had everything needed for a high oven, so I just threw one of those together and hunted a bunch of creepers for the gunpowder.

I'm liking Mariculture. I got into my head to base my buildings off of Victorian era industrial factories, which means digging up all the clay in the world and then some for bricks and hardened clay. I found a Mariculture recipe that lets me make clay, but roaming around the ocean floor is far more fun.

Havanacus

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my todo list:
-Fix monster egg visibility
-Add Yampst
-Rename mining levels to make sense
-Restore Obsidian Mining Level in MaterialOverride to 3.
-Reduce Obsidian Mining level in BlockOverride
-Add silver bars?
-Artifice coins can be used to convert metals

I guess that's enough for an update since nothing else has come up. I'll work on it.

Tairgire

Jul 29, 2019
Since you're working on an update anyway, we've run into a Mariculture bug where it crashes you (client side, I think) if you try to click on the search icon in Creative mode inventory. Apparently it's a known issue, due to be fixed in a future version, but the workaround is to, within the Mariculture modules.cfg, disable the Hunger Overhaul module.

Havanacus

Jul 29, 2019
Since you're working on an update anyway, we've run into a Mariculture bug where it crashes you (client side, I think) if you try to click on the search icon in Creative mode inventory. Apparently it's a known issue, due to be fixed in a future version, but the workaround is to, within the Mariculture modules.cfg, disable the Hunger Overhaul module.

Damn, that's still a thing? I was going to disable that module in a previous update because it was causing all Mariculture items to appear as "Unnamed". That issue was fixed just by updating though, so I didn't bother.

I added it to the list.

Reactions: Abecedarius

Abecedarius

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed golems are removed (which is nice!), but the Arcane Bore is still researchable. Is it craftable/usable, or does something suppress it? (And if it's allowed, do we use Tinkers' tools or vanilla?) It might be nice to have Thaumcraft config changes with the Tinkers/ExU changes on the main post. Having a lot of fun with this pack!

Havanacus

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed golems are removed (which is nice!), but the Arcane Bore is still researchable. Is it craftable/usable, or does something suppress it? (And if it's allowed, do we use Tinkers' tools or vanilla?) It might be nice to have Thaumcraft config changes with the Tinkers/ExU changes on the main post. Having a lot of fun with this pack!

I haven't changed or disabled anything about the Arcane Bore. I've never used it myself, but from what I've seen it mines a small area in front of it then needs to be moved manually to start mining again. It seems more like a fun distraction to tinker with then a useful replacement to manual mining, though there may be something I don't know about like the upgrades.

Right, I'll get the Thaumcraft Tweaks in the Post soon, completely forgot about them when I was recently rewriting it. Besides disabling Golem and Thaumostatic Harness research, I also set research to hard mode so that you have to do the minigame for each research rather then some being buyable. I don't know if I still think that was a good idea...

Reactions: Abecedarius