Mod Feedback [1.7.10] RFDrills - for all of your mining needs!

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just going to throw my two cents in:
What makes drills useful for me, and many others, I think, is being different from TiC tools, as has been mentioned before. Now the only question is what to do to make them different.
Personally, I think of Drills (capital D because it also encompasses Chainsaws, Sickles if you add them, and, to a lesser extent, IC2's Mining Laser) as being multitools. They save on hotbar slots by combining multiple tools into one - that's something Tinker's doesn't do.
So, what you're doing right now is fantastic: Pick + Shovel = Drill, Sword + Axe (+ Shears?) = Chainsaw, Sickle + Hoe = ... Um... Something... Maybe a combine? XD
I'm stating that just so that you know that I like this as the main method of being different from TiC.
The other thing you could do, as has also been mentioned before, is to set the drills to have modes, i.e. change the mining volume thingy a little bit but have it be configurable through, say, a hotkey, or shift-right-clicking. I'd like that, but the whole multi-tool thing is most important to me.

Finally, a bunch suggestions: seeing as this is already beginning to implement more of IC2's tool functionality, I'm going to suggest you to go further. Having read the earlier discussion, I'd love to see a GunDrill (Mining Laser), no matter how silly. I mean, this is a) a video game and b) a mod to a video game, so go all out. I'd also like to see a sort of full-invincibility nanosuit, or maybe a armor pieces which each protect you against a certain type of damage, with non-stacking effects (elemental-RF-powered-armor), but have mediocre protection capability overall.

... I think this can be a great replacement for Redstone Arsenal/Redstone Armory. I always felt like RA's tools were just... diamond tools. They last forever and mine fairly quickly, but that's about it. What's more is that even mediocre TiC tools outshine them by a factor of 10,000... But RFDrills is unique! It's multi-tools! I'd use this over Tinker's any day!

Sorry for that high-pressure speech, it's just that you're doing something I've wanted to do myself for a long time, and I'm unloading my ideas on the first person who agrees with me and has done something about it. Feel free to ignore them; what I've suggested sounds like a lot of work, even to me.
I know that I'm going to put your mod in my pack as soon as you add chainsaws; that's the minimum functionality required for this to totally replace Redstone Arsenal and Armory (except for armor). I might wait, though, if I had the promise of GunDrills/Nanosuit/Elemental Armor. :D

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to give it a try. I really only use Tinkers for the Hammer and the Lumber axe. I'd love something that adds the old IC2 style tools, without me having to use IC2.

I'd despise any weird crafting that depends on excessive nesting or expensive laser arrays though. I'm a castle builder though, so I offer my opinion with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
I'm just going to throw my two cents in:
What makes drills useful for me, and many others, I think, is being different from TiC tools, as has been mentioned before. Now the only question is what to do to make them different.
Personally, I think of Drills (capital D because it also encompasses Chainsaws, Sickles if you add them, and, to a lesser extent, IC2's Mining Laser) as being multitools. They save on hotbar slots by combining multiple tools into one - that's something Tinker's doesn't do.
So, what you're doing right now is fantastic: Pick + Shovel = Drill, Sword + Axe (+ Shears?) = Chainsaw, Sickle + Hoe = ... Um... Something... Maybe a combine? XD
I'm stating that just so that you know that I like this as the main method of being different from TiC.
The other thing you could do, as has also been mentioned before, is to set the drills to have modes, i.e. change the mining volume thingy a little bit but have it be configurable through, say, a hotkey, or shift-right-clicking. I'd like that, but the whole multi-tool thing is most important to me.

Finally, a bunch suggestions: seeing as this is already beginning to implement more of IC2's tool functionality, I'm going to suggest you to go further. Having read the earlier discussion, I'd love to see a GunDrill (Mining Laser), no matter how silly. I mean, this is a) a video game and b) a mod to a video game, so go all out. I'd also like to see a sort of full-invincibility nanosuit, or maybe a armor pieces which each protect you against a certain type of damage, with non-stacking effects (elemental-RF-powered-armor), but have mediocre protection capability overall.

... I think this can be a great replacement for Redstone Arsenal/Redstone Armory. I always felt like RA's tools were just... diamond tools. They last forever and mine fairly quickly, but that's about it. What's more is that even mediocre TiC tools outshine them by a factor of 10,000... But RFDrills is unique! It's multi-tools! I'd use this over Tinker's any day!

Sorry for that high-pressure speech, it's just that you're doing something I've wanted to do myself for a long time, and I'm unloading my ideas on the first person who agrees with me and has done something about it. Feel free to ignore them; what I've suggested sounds like a lot of work, even to me.
I know that I'm going to put your mod in my pack as soon as you add chainsaws; that's the minimum functionality required for this to totally replace Redstone Arsenal and Armory (except for armor). I might wait, though, if I had the promise of GunDrills/Nanosuit/Elemental Armor. :D
Wow, that's one big inspiring post! Thank you!:)

Now about the suggestions: a GunDrill is planned, but it's kinda low-priority for now (although I think it would be fun to implement). Same with 3x3 drill mode, which won't be that hard to implement because I already had experience with AoE tools when I worked on sickles for another mod. Chainsaws won't have that: they'll have Enable/Disable Shearing modes instead.

The invincible NanoSuit/Elemental Armor suggestion is the only thing that I'm not sure about. There are a lot more mods that do combat better than I do, and that's not the main focus of the mod.

About RArsenal/RArmory: I'm not trying to replace those two. My mod is supposed to work along with RF mods, not against them. (except for Tinker's RF support) Although, as I said, I will make an Ultimate Flux-infused Tool which can mine anything, with a 3x3 mode and an on/off switch of course.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, that's one big inspiring post! Thank you!:)

Now about the suggestions: a GunDrill is planned, but it's kinda low-priority for now (although I think it would be fun to implement). Same with 3x3 drill mode, which won't be that hard to implement because I already had experience with AoE tools when I worked on sickles for another mod. Chainsaws won't have that: they'll have Enable/Disable Shearing modes instead.

The invincible NanoSuit/Elemental Armor suggestion is the only thing that I'm not sure about. There are a lot more mods that do combat better than I do, and that's not the main focus of the mod.

About RArsenal/RArmory: I'm not trying to replace those two. My mod is supposed to work along with RF mods, not against them. (except for Tinker's RF support) Although, as I said, I will make an Ultimate Flux-infused Tool which can mine anything, with a 3x3 mode and an on/off switch of course.
Yay! I'm glad that a GunDrill is planned. Low-priority is fine; "planned" is good enough for me. ;)
Same with chainsaws not having AoE - it doesn't make *quite* as much sense.
About the armor: that's just something I'd like to see. When you're done with GunDrills/Chainsaws/Sickles, I'd just like you to think about it. I know that invincibility armor, or invincibility-to-fire armor, or whatever, is a clear end-game goal to me. What I liked about IC2's nanosuit was that it was fairly difficult to get the full set, but that an early game player who put *all* of their resources into it could get, say, a single piece of armor, giving themselves a fairly large advantage against early game mobs.
If you can point me to a mod that adds RF-powered invincibility or elemental invincibility armor, I'll be happy. :p

Regardless of whether you're trying to replace the RAs, I see this as a replacement. The end-game in tools will always be Tinker's for me - each tool is a single, specialized machine to do exactly what it's meant to, and do it better than everything else. That takes up a lot of hotbar slots. The RA tools are just upgraded vanilla... but these tools are worth using through the end-game against either TInker's OR RA, as they're a clear upgrade from vanilla and definitely unique from Tinker's in their "multitool" capacity (so, say, I'd end up using some kind of Tinker's weapon alongside a drill and chainsaw - that's 3 hotbar slots against 5 if you use all TiC or RA).

CopperTools, I think, can replace RA armor, so you've got me covered there as well. :D

TheSepulcher

Jul 29, 2019
Yay! I'm glad that a GunDrill is planned. Low-priority is fine; "planned" is good enough for me. ;)
Same with chainsaws not having AoE - it doesn't make *quite* as much sense.
About the armor: that's just something I'd like to see. When you're done with GunDrills/Chainsaws/Sickles, I'd just like you to think about it. I know that invincibility armor, or invincibility-to-fire armor, or whatever, is a clear end-game goal to me. What I liked about IC2's nanosuit was that it was fairly difficult to get the full set, but that an early game player who put *all* of their resources into it could get, say, a single piece of armor, giving themselves a fairly large advantage against early game mobs.
If you can point me to a mod that adds RF-powered invincibility or elemental invincibility armor, I'll be happy.

Regardless of whether you're trying to replace the RAs, I see this as a replacement. The end-game in tools will always be Tinker's for me - each tool is a single, specialized machine to do exactly what it's meant to, and do it better than everything else. That takes up a lot of hotbar slots. The RA tools are just upgraded vanilla... but these tools are worth using through the end-game against either TInker's OR RA, as they're a clear upgrade from vanilla and definitely unique from Tinker's in their "multitool" capacity (so, say, I'd end up using some kind of Tinker's weapon alongside a drill and chainsaw - that's 3 hotbar slots against 5 if you use all TiC or RA).

CopperTools, I think, can replace RA armor, so you've got me covered there as well. :D
Draconic armor drom DE. It basically makes you immune to everything. Plus not rf but bound armor can has fire invisibility too i think

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
Here comes 1.2! http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/229846-rfdrills/files/2236272

1.2 changelog said:
1.2 - The Massacre update
  • [ADDED] Chainsaws! If you are careful enough, they can also be used as shears.
  • [ADDED] Drill modes! Higher tier drills can switch to 1x3x1 mining mode via shift+right click (configurable)
  • [ADDED] Chainsaw modes! Higher tier drills can toggle shear mode via shift+right click (configurable, on by default)
  • [CHANGED] The Advanced Electric Drill is now Tier 3
  • [CHANGED] A lot of textures
  • [CHANGED] EIO drill recipes
  • [FIXED] RF tooltip showing weird numbers (not again)
  • [FIXED] Optimized drill recharging
  • [FIXED] Some more stuff that I probably forgot
Hopefully that was enough work for today and I won't have to do derpfixes again.

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
Nope. Those damn bugs get me everytime
1.2.1 changelog said:
  • [CHANGED] Tier 3 and 4 drills now mine slower, use less power and store more. Delete your current config files to see the changes!
  • [CHANGED] Slightly improved Russian localization thanks to Adaptivity!
  • [REMOVED] "Can mine Obsidian" tooltips
  • [FIXED] Drill upgrading recipes now properly register in the RecipeSorter
  • [FIXED] Drills not harvesting some modded blocks due to this monstrosity in the MC code

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Just out of curiosity, what's the next planned feature? (aside from the ever-present derpfixes ;))
Also, in the OP, you said: "Chainsaws that not only chop down wool, but also can somehow be used as shears"
I bet they CAN chop down wool, but I bet you meant wood. :p

TheSepulcher

Jul 29, 2019
Just out of curiosity, what's the next planned feature? (aside from the ever-present derpfixes ;))
Also, in the OP, you said: "Chainsaws that not only chop down wool, but also can somehow be used as shears"
I bet they CAN chop down wool, but I bet you meant wood.
Man, a tool which can break wool faster than hand would be the most op thing ever

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Man, a tool which can break wool faster than hand would be the most op thing ever
Do swords already do that? When I watched the yogscast, they always used swords to break wool. I didn't notice a difference, but I wasn't paying attention. :p

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
I'm just having too much fun with this:
KhhZQN6.png

I bet they CAN chop down wool, but I bet you meant wood. :p
Fixed! Although, I've just noticed that chainsaws should harvest wool faster than they do now.
Nah. It just feels faster but same. Sword ia only good for cobweb i believe
I'm pretty sure that shears harvest wool pretty well.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just having too much fun with this:
KhhZQN6.png
... 0_0
That looks brilliant. It'd better be pretty dang expensive, though. ;)
I would suggest, however, that you add an independently toggle-able mode where it destroys materials like dirt, cobble, gravel, etc. :p
As much as I love inventory overflow while mining, that's a lie, I hate inventory overflow while mining. XD

Last edited:

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
... 0_0
That looks brilliant. It'd better be pretty dang expensive, though. ;)
I would suggest, however, that you add an independently toggle-able mode where it destroys materials like dirt, cobble, gravel, etc. :p
As much as I love inventory overflow while mining, that's a lie, I hate inventory overflow while mining. XD
It'll be a while until I release this, because I have a lot of plans for the EnderIO Crusher variant and I have to come up with a recipe that justifies their OPness. I also want to make a multi-tool that replaces other non-mining tools, such as shears, hoes, flint&steel etc.
An item destroyer will probably come as a seperate item.

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
1.2.2 is now a thing (http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/229846-rfdrills/files/2237814)

It's a really important thing because it fixes a major bug that caused crafting Chainsaws to crash the game. Also, there are a bunch of new localizations.
1.2.2 changelog said:
  • [ADDED] Portuguese (Brazil) localiztion (thanks MrKunji!)
  • [ADDED] German localization (thanks Reyls!)
  • [ADDED] Chinese localization (thanks Urey.X!)
  • [FIXED] A major bug that crashed the game when crafting a Chainsaw
  • [FIXED] Tools being able to have more than maximum energy after crafting
No Flux-infused supertools in this one, sorry guys.

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
Finally 1.3 is done!
1.3 changelog said:
1.3 - The Ultimate Update!
  • [ADDED] Flux-Infused Crusher which can mine anything a pick, shovel or axe can, along with 3x3x3 and 5x5x5 modes (inb4 power creep)
  • [CHANGED] The way the tools handle damage. Should potentially fix issues with VeinMiner
  • [FIXED] Some issues when crafting any drill more than once

About the power of this thing: think of it as the Flux-Infused Jetplate or the GraviSuit. It's super powerful and fun, but crafting it is quite difficult and it takes enormous amounts of power. Also, inventory overflow is a major problem that you'll have to consider. :D

The EnderIO counterpart will come later, as I want to implement an upgrade system for it similarly to Dark Steel equipment.

The next major update will also probably bring more utility stuff and details - e.g. enchantments and block hardness determining the energy cost (because right now Unbreaking literally does nothing), WAILA integration to tell how much RF mining a particular block requires and so on (maybe even sounds?)

Last edited:

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously, man? I just put this mod into the next update for my pack! XD
Literally yesterday. *facepalm*
Ah, well. Next update, I suppose. :)

... This sounds amazing, regardless of unfortunate timing. :D

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Nice one!

Feel sorry every time I see or hear someone still using TiCo tools. :p
Glad to see someone finally copied the GraviSuite tools functionality to RF.

A somewhat must have however is the "Rightclick to place Torches" functionality however. Preferably from any inventory slot(not like TiCo where it needs to be next to the tool).

Reactions: Pyure