[1.7.10] Pathfinder [Peaceful][HQM][Tech][Adventure][Listed]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
So far, I've found a total of about 20 shards, before using some for quests. I don't much like mining... getting enough shards to complete that one quest would take far longer than I have patience. I found exploring and hunting for dimlets to be much more worth my time.

But, to each their own.

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
I thought it would be a good idea to use an ender quarry for this. Turns out it will eat up all the energy it can get, even if it doesn't need it, and will lose all the energy it had when you break it. It has like a 10 million RF buffer. I wound up spending like an entire redstone energy cell and got ZERO dimensional shard ore from it. NOT A GOOD IDEA. Heck, I barely got any ore at all!

Is it just throwing away half of the ore or something?!

Oh, I don't want to use a hammer because that will just fill my hotbar with cobble. Plus, two straight hours of running in one direction does not strike me as an "easy" or "fun" way of finishing this quest.

Last edited:

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I thought it would be a good idea to use an ender quarry for this. Turns out it will eat up all the energy it can get, even if it doesn't need it, and will lose all the energy it had when you break it. It has like a 10 million RF buffer. I wound up spending like an entire redstone energy cell and got ZERO dimensional shard ore from it. NOT A GOOD IDEA. Heck, I barely got any ore at all!

Is it just throwing away half of the ore or something?!

Oh, I don't want to use a hammer because that will just fill my hotbar with cobble. Plus, two straight hours of running in one direction does not strike me as an "easy" or "fun" way of finishing this quest.
You can fix the filling your inventory with cobble bit by using a /dev/null. Handy little item from OpenBlocks- craft one (it's cheap), shift-right-click it, drop some cobble in its interface, and any more cobble you pick up will go into the /dev/null instead of your inventory. Once its stack fills up, it'll just delete any more cobble that you pick up. You can also right-click with it to place one of the stored blocks.

Also, why are you running in one direction for two hours? Branch mining should get you ores much faster than just digging one long tunnel; or, if you've got a jetpack and a hang glider (another useful OpenBlocks item- twelve leather and a few sticks), there's no need to run at all when hunting for dimlets in worldgen structures. Just use the jetpack (which you should already have if you completed Bellerophon) to get high enough up that you have a good view of the area around you, and use the glider to fly around while conserving jetpack fuel.

Reactions: AuoroP

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
You can fix the filling your inventory with cobble bit by using a /dev/null. Handy little item from OpenBlocks- craft one (it's cheap), shift-right-click it, drop some cobble in its interface, and any more cobble you pick up will go into the /dev/null instead of your inventory. Once its stack fills up, it'll just delete any more cobble that you pick up. You can also right-click with it to place one of the stored blocks.

Also, why are you running in one direction for two hours? Branch mining should get you ores much faster than just digging one long tunnel; or, if you've got a jetpack and a hang glider (another useful OpenBlocks item- twelve leather and a few sticks), there's no need to run at all when hunting for dimlets in worldgen structures. Just use the jetpack (which you should already have if you completed Bellerophon) to get high enough up that you have a good view of the area around you, and use the glider to fly around while conserving jetpack fuel.
Branch mining is faster? How do you figure? You're breaking and revealing the same number of blocks, aren't you? Technically slightly less blocks are revealed with branch mining. I'm fairly sure branch mining is only done to completely clear out a specific area.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Jul 29, 2019
ive restarted this pack with the pack settings as imagined by @Gideonseymour and have been enjoying it. However, it seems silly that hardcore darkness overrides a bright night dimlet. I may end up pulling that out again. This play through I decided to move out of the pathfinder and I stupidly pulled up the reception pad so I can't go back. Hopefully there's not another hqm quest making me go stand by another block.

I love that this pack has a rewarding grind but at no point have I had to stand in front of a sieve holding right-click.

All packs should have agricraft now. To me, it's good enough that Mojang should consider building it in, same goes with iguana's tinkers tweaks and of course tinkers. I love leveling stuff up!

As I was writing this, I realized I did make a mistake taking everything out of the pathfinder. If I die, I'm going to be back on that ship with no way to get to my initial dimension. I guess that makes this play through hardcore peaceful. If I die, I'm done.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
ive restarted this pack with the pack settings as imagined by @Gideonseymour and have been enjoying it. However, it seems silly that hardcore darkness overrides a bright night dimlet. I may end up pulling that out again. This play through I decided to move out of the pathfinder and I stupidly pulled up the reception pad so I can't go back. Hopefully there's not another hqm quest making me go stand by another block.

I love that this pack has a rewarding grind but at no point have I had to stand in front of a sieve holding right-click.

All packs should have agricraft now. To me, it's good enough that Mojang should consider building it in, same goes with iguana's tinkers tweaks and of course tinkers. I love leveling stuff up!

As I was writing this, I realized I did make a mistake taking everything out of the pathfinder. If I die, I'm going to be back on that ship with no way to get to my initial dimension. I guess that makes this play through hardcore peaceful. If I die, I'm done.

Make a golden bag of holding, then craft it with two magical wood to add Reincarnating to it. You can get magical books of flim flam via emeralds. The reincarnating bag will stay with you after death, so put a bunch of stuff in it that you can use to refurbish the ship and make it a functional teleportation hub again. Then die on purpose somehow.

Reactions: rkb27 and Arbitrary

Arbitrary

Jul 29, 2019
Make a golden bag of holding, then craft it with two magical wood to add Reincarnating to it. You can get magical books of flim flam via emeralds. The reincarnating bag will stay with you after death, so put a bunch of stuff in it that you can use to refurbish the ship and make it a functional teleportation hub again. Then die on purpose somehow.
I love this idea! Thanks

rkb27

Jul 29, 2019
Here's some tips:
- Make your base the PathFinder, not the 1st dimension you create. Get everything you need and move out. Saves time, power, and possible crashes. Then always take with you some Pre-Dialed, Pre-Charged Transmitters wherever you go so you can always get back to your ship! Personally, I made a "Space Station" right outside my ship, with anything i couldn't fit inside my ship. Helped avoid remodeling too much of my ship, and gave me plenty of room to work with.
- Ender Bags and Chests are REALLY useful. Those item conduits you have to make early on that you think you'll never use are really helpful. Just have items pipe from the Ender chest into any other storage unit like a diamond chest or alchemical chest, you can place items into your bag that come then get pumped out through your ender chest (Later game I had 2 bags, the other would go to an energy condenser as a "Junk" filter. Making things I don't need still useful). Another idea would be to use this method and connect it to a trash can as another form of a junk filter.
- Alchemical bags are essentially portable Diamond chests. Don't overlook them, if for some reason this isn't do-able for you other options are: Bagginess bags, Golden bags of holding, or a knapsack (This doesn't even use a slot on your hot bar!)
- Traveller's belt gives you another hot bar that you can switch to (though buggy, and I didn't use)
- Food is a problem at times, just keep changing it up. The following are easier food items to help keep changing your diet quickly and easy: Have a lot of bread? Make Toast. Lots of Potatoes? Make Fries. Lots of Miscellaneous? Make Stock.
- Tinker's Construct Torches give 4 instead of one. So you'll save on coal to make those instead. It's just cobblestone and coal. Though I hear they don't do well in the rain.
- Low Cavern Terrain, Material None was the only mining dimension I ever needed.

Arbitrary

Jul 29, 2019
What is the lighting like in the low cavern? I figured it would be hardcore dark all the time and wasn't interested. But, now that I think about it, it's always dark when I'm mining anyways.

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
Here's some tips:
- Make your base the PathFinder, not the 1st dimension you create. Get everything you need and move out. Saves time, power, and possible crashes. Then always take with you some Pre-Dialed, Pre-Charged Transmitters wherever you go so you can always get back to your ship! Personally, I made a "Space Station" right outside my ship, with anything i couldn't fit inside my ship. Helped avoid remodeling too much of my ship, and gave me plenty of room to work with.
- Ender Bags and Chests are REALLY useful. Those item conduits you have to make early on that you think you'll never use are really helpful. Just have items pipe from the Ender chest into any other storage unit like a diamond chest or alchemical chest, you can place items into your bag that come then get pumped out through your ender chest (Later game I had 2 bags, the other would go to an energy condenser as a "Junk" filter. Making things I don't need still useful). Another idea would be to use this method and connect it to a trash can as another form of a junk filter.
- Alchemical bags are essentially portable Diamond chests. Don't overlook them, if for some reason this isn't do-able for you other options are: Bagginess bags, Golden bags of holding, or a knapsack (This doesn't even use a slot on your hot bar!)
- Traveller's belt gives you another hot bar that you can switch to (though buggy, and I didn't use)
- Food is a problem at times, just keep changing it up. The following are easier food items to help keep changing your diet quickly and easy: Have a lot of bread? Make Toast. Lots of Potatoes? Make Fries. Lots of Miscellaneous? Make Stock.
- Tinker's Construct Torches give 4 instead of one. So you'll save on coal to make those instead. It's just cobblestone and coal. Though I hear they don't do well in the rain.
- Low Cavern Terrain, Material None was the only mining dimension I ever needed.
That low cavern terrain is amazing for finding dimensional shard ore. It shines in the dark, so you just need to walk around where the terrain goes deep enough. Shame about all the water, but you can't get everything I suppose... Or is there a way to make one without water?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Branch mining is faster? How do you figure? You're breaking and revealing the same number of blocks, aren't you? Technically slightly less blocks are revealed with branch mining. I'm fairly sure branch mining is only done to completely clear out a specific area.
If you only ever mine in one long tunnel, you have to run back and forth along the whole length of the tunnel every time your inventory/bags/whatever fills up. However, when my inventory fills up while branch mining, I just start on a new branch. Much less running back and forth through tunnels.

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough. I was thinking you'd run along it until you got all the ore you needed, then start a new tunnel next time... but that winds up basically being branch mining.

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
So does anyone use much of Clockwork Phase? I didn't see anything in it that would be terribly useful, considering there are no monsters to deal with. Seems kindof a shame for such a cool mod.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
So does anyone use much of Clockwork Phase? I didn't see anything in it that would be terribly useful, considering there are no monsters to deal with. Seems kindof a shame for such a cool mod.
I'm not that far into it yet, but from what I've read, the Temporal Multitool is pretty cool. You can put a few different tools in it (a pick, a shovel, and an axe, say) and it'll automatically swap them out depending on what type of block you're trying to break.

I typically don't carry a shovel with me while mining to save on inventory space, so it's always annoying when I run into a vein of gravel or dirt.

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not that far into it yet, but from what I've read, the Temporal Multitool is pretty cool. You can put a few different tools in it (a pick, a shovel, and an axe, say) and it'll automatically swap them out depending on what type of block you're trying to break.

I typically don't carry a shovel with me while mining to save on inventory space, so it's always annoying when I run into a vein of gravel or dirt.
Well, if it had a good mining level on it and you could put either silk touch or fortune on it, that'd be a viable tool. If not, it would just wind up being a shovel, wouldn't it?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Well, if it had a good mining level on it and you could put either silk touch or fortune on it, that'd be a viable tool. If not, it would just wind up being a shovel, wouldn't it?
You could see it as a shovel that doesn't take up an extra inventory slot. I'm not yet far enough into the pack yet to know if the Multitool is unlocked before the majority of your inventory, but early- to mid-game, at least, inventory space is at a premium. That one slot is the reason why I don't typically have a good way to deal with dirt or gravel in my way while I'm mining.

To my understanding (someone more knowledgable, please correct me if I'm wrong), the Temporal Multitool requires that you supply your own tools. I don't know if it accepts Tinker's Construct tools- but if it does, you can certainly put silk touch and fortune on those (although not at the same time, of course).

Speaking of which, does anyone know if the temporal multitool works with tier 2 Tinker's tools, i.e. the Hammer, Excavator, and the like?

AuoroP

Jul 29, 2019
- Make your base the PathFinder, not the 1st dimension you create.
I'd agree. I didn't because I thought the missing sun would crush early solar but PathFinder does that all on its own. I still don't like to go there because the missing sun creeps me out but adding a Sun is available earlier than solar. I live in a swamp so the AgriCraft tank gets filled up way too often. Water saving is easy: you can add a torch, a lever and three buttons and a switching channel; tap a button to grow crops once and toggle lever to improve crops.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if the temporal multitool
I've made a temporal core but never gotten the tools or the disassembler to work.

Added
I just wanted to thank Phoenix team for the quest moment I got from Olympia.

Using the environment controller was a great surprise! :D

Last edited: