1.7.10 - Nuclear Fallout - [Unlisted][Unguided Progression][Custom mods][Challenge][Survival]

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
running 1.1.3 on a server. Noting that one of the first quests, flint pickaxe is not registering a pickaxe made with wooden handle, wooden binding and flint head. other than hqm edit, any way to get past this or is it a specific metadata? Op won't be giving out edit books anytime soon.

Thanks

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
It's not meant to be run on servers just yet. A lot of the scripts and quests are first tested on my server before they are officially put in the pack. That's why there is no server version of the pack available yet. You can easily fix the quest yourself in single player, then upload it to your server.

It's already fixed in the beta version, however I can't upload to FTB just everyday, so I'm doing some more planned changes before that.

Also, it makes absolutely no difference if you complete the quest or not. It's not a quest modpack, they are there to teach, not to get rewards from.
but if I see a reward I can't get, yeah, that's irksome, so saying it's not a quest modpack when you have hqm in there and give rewards... sounds sorta backwards.

Anyways, so you can't put tinker's only ore in poor form (poor aluminum) in the smeltery yet you can stick every other ore in there as well.

Also, how do we get osmium? not seeing it in the ground, so assuming it's on moon or something? Part of the gating?

Dylz101

Jul 29, 2019
Whenever I try and connect to a server, I wait for a while the it says timed out. My internet is the best but I can connect to pretty much any Minecraft server easily. Do you know any fixes?

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I state my reason for adding HQM on the first page. If you fail to see how HQM can be useful without quests then I'm not sure what to say. Some people can perfectly play the modpack without ever looking into HQM. They know Iguana tweaks, know how to lookup stuff in NEI, etc. Those don't need it. The rest? Are lost and thats where the questbook comes in. The rewards is some very minor food at the start, and some random funny things like for the jetpack quest you get a particle customizer. It's a guide, nothing more. You literally can't do all the quests, the power gen for example are just there to show the different tiers. They don't have any quest tasks.

Poor ore was fixed in the beta, will be in next update. A lot of script related stuff has already been fixed. If you want it now, replace the entire script folder with the content of this: http://creepgaming.com/scripts.zip . It's the most updated one. You only need to put it onto the server.

Yes, Osmium, certus quartz, etc is only on the moon. Some recipes (again, newest script folder) have been adjusted because of that. In the recent version of the scripts, I finally added support for mekanism to poor ores, so that's in too. The moon has similar ore spawn as the regular overworld, making it the idea mining target. It's a bit more difficult, but totally doable. Special cases such as the cargo rocket and the launch controller have had their recipes changed so you can setup an automated cargo rocket from the moon to the overworld easily, provided you have the means to get enough fuel.
Oh I understand your position, just plainly stating that if you say this is a guide, not hqm, but yet give them quests and rewards, that's sort of misleading. I know you're probably more interested in doing an actual guide and ditching hqm altogether at some point, and when that happens that distinction will no longer matter.

if I can get the op to upgrade the scripts I'll try but doubt it and will most likely have to wait for an official update. Appreciate the link tho.

Found certus in ow and found osmium on a meteor but yeah, see how this whole thing is being gated pretty clearly now.

On a separate note, a couple of us had the auto smelting affix put onto our picks at master/grand master level and I felt (imho) that was a really bad deal when you spend all this time leveling up a pick and then get that. A friend said that if you throw a ton of lapis and fortune the pick as well, it pays off, but I don't recollect how they'd stack that way for ores. Have you made any decisions to take some iguana tweaks modifiers out of the random pool? I think it's a fine line between making this difficult versus just being mean with rng in the mix.

Thanks

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Hi

I'm on the same private server as Doom and although I like the progression in the pack I would like to ask, what's the point in adding MFR and disabling the most useful blocks like DSU, Planter, Harvester, Grinder, Fisher, Rancher, Vet Stn, Sludge Boiler, Breeder, auto-spawner, bioreactor, BioFuel Gen, slaugherhouse, meat packer etc etc etc - you may as well just remove the mod?

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the reply, not sure what you mean by Rancher is craftable and Grinder is craftable when they aren't, maybe talking about the next version?

Sludge boiler is one of the best MFR machines, if you've never used it you have no idea what you are missing, but yeah with the harvester disabled (didn't want that tree farm anyway) it's pretty much useless.

But please don't disable stuff because you've "never seen anyone use it", if people haven't used mod blocks it doesn't mean everyone hasn't.

OH_Herobrine

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't hurt to read ;)
I don't exactly see how a sludge boiler is the best machine ever. I also didn't say I never used it. I have in fact, and know what it does. However everything that it produces can easily be produced otherwise.

Also, please refrain from using whining comments like "(didn't want that tree farm anyway) " because it both doesn't help me improve the modpack and makes you look silly. You can make a tree farm with robots, golems or drones. I also forgot to mention steves carts. The options are there. It's just not 1 block wonderland.

Now please don't limit me in what I can and can not do. I spent a lot of work on the pack, the progression etc. While it's true that I have never seen anyone use it, I myself have tried it out many times prior to removal. Why the Slaughterhouse + Meat Packer were disabled was because I had removed the use of it's mechanic (aka. pink slime), hence it was removed so people would not bother making it, thinking it would be required.

Again, it's a custom pack. A lot of stuff is tweaked. If you don't agree with me on a certain machine, maybe even think it should be removed in favor of another one, just tell me which one, and then give me a reason why. I'm actually very open to change. I've spent a lot of time making this modpack a lone, my opinion might not always be what others find good. Simply tell me, and I will consider it.

Oh wait. theres more than 2 of us? Im too on the server thay Doom and bob are on, can i recommend to you, if you're going to make a modpack, expect whiny complaints, dont just snap back at them. Also, the planter isnt useless, because it can plant trees. Also, in regards to the slaughter house, you can use Pink slime as a tinkers tool material (thanks to ExtraTic) So please could you consider re-enabling the slaughter house, or disabling the pink slime tool materials? :)

By the way, that Crumbology is a part of our servers too haha

Edit 2 - No, Crumbology lies! He is part of out private server community!

Last edited:

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
Meat ingots are one of the few foods available without a food mod that are better than steak, and it's the primary use of the slaughterhouse, pink slime is just a byproduct. As far as I can see there are only triple meat treats and Soylent Green left, so it's a not terrible option either.

Block Smasher? Useful block, overlooked by most people, but would actually add a use for mob essence if the grinder is supposed to be craftable.

Also, RFTools is capable of completely bypassing all your progression, maybe want to disable that dimension builder or at least gate beyond the moon.

-edit- dammit, lies, im not associated with that herobrine wannabee! :p

OH_Herobrine

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, another suggestion, has anything major swerved you off of using botania? Its a pretty good mod that could fit the style, I mean, plants can survive nuclear fallout, especially magical ones, Despite a few flowers that could be disabled, such as the orechid, I think this mod could fit into your modpack and can add even more things for people to do :)

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I don't know any of these guys lol.

seriously tho. I think the jist is that any kind of intended use or replacement for a machine/block, should be added to a guide or howto doc given at world spawn that says "ok, you want to make a harvester, well, instead, use x y or z here" so that ppl aren't scratching their head wondering why x is disabled and what their choices are to do said thing. Otherwise, if you are prone to blinders on like I am, you don't start working towards something and then realize there's no recipe or item is gone.

Also if you tweak something, it might make sense to footnote those as well. Disabling drums, had me going towards tanks but basic tank is 4 buckets instead of 16 which I'm assuming is a config option. I instead made a couple seared stone tanks cause they were easier to make for me and stored the same amt of fluid. but why the nerfing on carrying liquids? Too op? But I can make a bedrockium still if I wanted to. So laying out what liquid storages u can make as well and what your philosophy is on that might be good thing to add as well to aforementioned guide/book/whatever. So ppl know coming into pack what to expect and plan in their heads how to attack things instead of hitting roadblock after roadblock.

Note that this is why ppl use hqm, to step players through the changes of the mod bit by bit (and a lot of times they fail miserably in doing this) but it's a general way I've seen them do this.

tldr; documentation helps avoid confusion and helps ppl plan accordingly, however that documentation comes to the users attention.

OH_Herobrine

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, while I can understand why, try to see it from my perspective. More things to do, isn't always that great. I don't want this to be a kitchen sink pack. The pack focuses mainly on progression, technology and the aftermath of living in a world that has, thousands of years before, been completely emptied out and destroyed. I have considered botania then, but I don't plan to include more than 2 magic mods. Witchery was one obvious choice, botania and thaumcraft were voted. Thaumcraft won. Same reason why blood magic wont be in the pack.

Also, before anyone suggests adding guns, it's on the list. I'm working on a mod that uses guns from flans for example and makes a somewhat complex and late game crafting recipe, same for ammo. That way you can progress from bow>crossbow>gun and feel powerful.
I wasnt planning on asking for guns, I very much enjoy using tinkers' crossbow, However why was witchery an obvious choice? Some of its functions are for PVP which is useless on SSP. By the way Dont take any of my comments as insults - I do love this pack (especially the Fallout 3 Main menu haha) - Thanks for the effort you have put in the pack

OH_Herobrine

Jul 29, 2019
Not taking any of this as insults. It's probably just the way I am. I used to be on a lot of forums that were a bit more hostile/harsher, so my replies don't generally drip with love or are decorated with rose pedals. :p

The guns part wasn't specifically at you :D. I just wanted to get the world out, that I'm adding them as a last late game ranged weapon. However they will have some unique and complex crafting mechanics to it.

Witchery was an obvious choice for me, because of it's dark nature. It's not flowery rainbowy unicorny like botania. Also, while it's true that it has a couple of pvp aspects, I, as someone who knows every single thing in the mod, would probably say that 95% are not.

It simply feels like a more simple way of magic, not something fancy. Something people would keep from their ancestors, and even practice after some catastrophe happens. Besides, the spells are very useful.
Fair enough, I ust thought a mod based off of the magical flowers would suit the pack, However, if it already came up as a choice and crossed off the list, Okay :)

OH_Herobrine

Jul 29, 2019
Not taking any of this as insults. It's probably just the way I am. I used to be on a lot of forums that were a bit more hostile/harsher, so my replies don't generally drip with love or are decorated with rose pedals. :p

The guns part wasn't specifically at you :D. I just wanted to get the world out, that I'm adding them as a last late game ranged weapon. However they will have some unique and complex crafting mechanics to it.

Witchery was an obvious choice for me, because of it's dark nature. It's not flowery rainbowy unicorny like botania. Also, while it's true that it has a couple of pvp aspects, I, as someone who knows every single thing in the mod, would probably say that 95% are not.

It simply feels like a more simple way of magic, not something fancy. Something people would keep from their ancestors, and even practice after some catastrophe happens. Besides, the spells are very useful.
Oh and by the way, it seems like the Extra Utilities and Pink Slime tools are in TCon by default because they are visible in NEI, but no extraTic mod is in the pack

Crumbology

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried making a dimension yet? I'm not sure if the client configs are accurate (again, your server experience may vary, I can only tell you how it's on the official server and the official pack), but on the official server, you will never never never ever be able to create a dimension early to midgame.

OK, thanks for the reply, still maybe worth disabling all the dimensional stuff to save hassle though, it's definetely usable in ssp.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
So you are telling me, you play a highly customized pack, where you KNOW that you need to expect changes, and then expect me to pretty much take your hand, hold your head and feed you every single block/change etc one by one? Part of these modpacks, for me at least, has always been the great thing that something is NEW. That I probably didn't know everything already. That I had to look, search, think. I'm not going to write a 200 page guide for it. That would defeat it's purpose, besides being heavily biased towards what I would use. I might have to look towards the tanks again. The change from 16 to 4 was mainly to make railcraft/mekanism tanks competetive, as they are harder and more expensive.

your pack, your rules. Letting you know constructive criticism as to what my specific experience was and you're being somewhat snarky in your reply.

First off, none of the mods in this pack are new to me or any of the ppl in the group.

Secondly, we've played a LOT of packs over the years. from br to rr3 and everything in between. My comment was from a simple perspective that if you're playing a heavily modified modpack, that changes/alters so many things, it behooves you to document those changes in some cursory way to save the person that's playing the pack some trouble and giving them advice/hints on how to accomplish these things. Not saying you have to document everything and hold their HAND (not head, dunno why you'd be doing that), but it makes sense to note, at the very least, that the following items (bla) have been disabled, please find alternatives.

The alternative to that is now you have to go through each item in NEI and see if there's a recipe for each machine/block, and if you had disabled and item isn't in NEI, you have to notice that you didn't see X. that takes a lot of time and guesswork. Let me ask you, do you find that fun?

I spent < 8 hrs on pack and by the time I had already replied to this thread, I had quit the pack and went back to playing another pack on our server. Over next day it had dwindled down to 1 person remaining. At this point, nobody's playing it and server will probably be shut down.

Again, your pack, your rules. Just letting you know my experience with it. Good luck

Sam112234243

Jul 29, 2019
It's a great modpack because it attempts to balance some aspects, but I don't understand the fallout theme it's meant to have.