[1.7.10] Marooned

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
i updated the pack and it had the doublecompressed sand in all colors, also the desert is not gone. i deleted the whole marooned folder in my ftb directory, completely downloaded the pack and it is still the same.

edit: even the quests ask for the double and single compressed sand, that is why i noticed it in the first place.

This is really strange as the desolated desert was removed in the 1.5.2 version so should have been gone since then and the new 1.5.3 version no longer has the compressed sands and the the sands quests now ask for smooth and chiseled sandstone, instead of compressed sands. Another indicator to show its the updated version will be that the gold oreberry showing on the Ore-Inspiring quest now shows as an iron oreberry instead. Also when you highlight the 'egg' on the MAIN MENU it should reveal it is version 1.5.3 Can you check those two things to make sure you hav ethe correct version.

In the meantime I'll get onto the moderators and check to make sure they have uploaded the version I actually sent to them rather than an earlier copy. I'm almost out of DL allowance for the month so am unable to download the version they have put on the launcher, but will be able to do it on Wednesday or Thursday this week.

Can anyone else who has downloaded the latest 1.5.3 version confirm whether their copy is showing 1.5.3 on the main menu and also if they still have coloured compressed jungle, swampland or taiga sands in their games?

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
I made a map in the 1.5.2 version and built a structure and used compressed red sand as the flooring for the 3rd floor. I updated to 1.5.3 and loaded the map and went to the third floor and the compressed red sand was gone as advertised. Other than that everything is fine.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I made a map in the 1.5.2 version and built a structure and used compressed red sand as the flooring for the 3rd floor. I updated to 1.5.3 and loaded the map and went to the third floor and the compressed red sand was gone as advertised. Other than that everything is fine.

Thank you so much for posting so quickly. I couldn't imagine the moderators making that sort of mistake. Sad about your compressed sand though, although you might be pleased that you can now make chiseled sandstone that is even more blast resistant than the previous compressed sands, and much cheaper with how much sand they use.

Sadly for me I'll have to release another update relatively soon as I've discovered one of the new quests won't open as I didn't realize it was previously the desolated sand trigger and is still connected invisibly to the other sand trigger quests. Its a bit complicated to go into but it happened because I am forced to recycle discontinued quests due to the fact that HQM won't allow me to add any new quests and I'd have to go back to my reserve HQM quest book which hasn't been updated for so long it would take me forever to check every quest to make sure I had updated it. Long story short, the new Art Decor quest won't open in the 1.5.3 version. It will have no affect on the actual quest line and isn't required to open further quests so for all players they'll just see the glowing glass quest open and wonder why there isn't a balancing quest opposite.

Hopefully I'll be able to release a small update that will only have a few changes that won't affect existing 1.5.3 worlds. It will however have yet another updated SPUD as I keep finding ways to make it more user friendly.

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
hm i redownloaded it and i go on the egg thing, it says 1.5.0. i dont know why it doesnt get the newest pack version.

edit: i think i fixed it, there is a thing where you can select the version and mine was set to "recommended" which is obviously still 1.5.0

edit2: after switching from recommended to 1.5.3 it updated to 1.5.3

edit3: updating to 1.5.3 did not remove the desert, will install it from scratch again

edit4: now it is gone :D

Last edited:

spiritofmc

Jul 29, 2019
The second part of the Exploring quest keeps confusing me, what am i supposed to do?
upload_2016-10-26_18-20-32.png

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
The second part of the Exploring quest keeps confusing me, what am i supposed to do?
Like OnlyaMCD says, there's only one number you can get. If you're still confused, grab a calculator and try multiplying the first number that comes into your head by 0. That will give you your first destination.

When you've completed that one, you'll get new ones. Go read the NEWS section in the Disclaimer to help you figure out the others.........

I've simply tried to make that quest a little more interesting by letting the player read the clues to find the answer themselves. A bit like the 'Secret Treasure' quest with the hidden recipes.

Cheers.........

Reactions: spiritofmc

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
You should really check the chance to get aluminium again. I did the Taint Nuttin now like 8 times or more, but havent got a single aluminum. And the quest which let me choose one is that exploration quest. I already have like 30+ berries set up, but no single aluminium.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
You should really check the chance to get aluminium again. I did the Taint Nuttin now like 8 times or more, but havent got a single aluminum. And the quest which let me choose one is that exploration quest. I already have like 30+ berries set up, but no single aluminium.

I'll go thru the bags again as sometimes one of them decides it wants to become unlimited instead of only having the one appearance. It used to happen sometimes to the first one on the list and I changed it to become the one of each ore reward in case it malfunctioned again.

The thing is I think it may still be possible for it to happen to someone else's reward bags after they download the pack which I can't do anything about.

I'll let you know what I find......

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
So I've again reached the point where I'm making multiple Tinkers weapons, leveling them up to Master, looking at the upgrades I've gotten and then deciding if I like what I got and then Craming upgrades onto it or tossing it into the trash.

I I'm trying to get a rapier with mostly life steal, moss, and lucky modifiers so I can use all of the free upgrade slots for Sharpness)

for the cleaver I'm trying to make it specifically for head hunting, but this requires it NOT to have flaming (Ender men just run when on Fire)

thus I've been leveling up quite a few weapons and then throwing them away when they get the wrong modifiers on level up.

what material do you guys find quickest to level up?

usually the mechanics of Iguana Tweeks favor lower durability materials for less exp required per level (with some exceptions). I've been using bone for rapiers and just Iron for Cleavers. Thou I've not dug through the material stats config to figure out which is the best material as of yet.

what have you guys been doing with Leveling up tools?

DonKalypso

Jul 29, 2019
usually the mechanics of Iguana Tweeks favor lower durability materials for less exp required per level (with some exceptions). I've been using bone for rapiers and just Iron for Cleavers. Thou I've not dug through the material stats config to figure out which is the best material as of yet.

what have you guys been doing with Leveling up tools?

In regards to tools and weapons it's best to keep using them, an obvious note if ever there was one. I'll use my original mob farm design to level up Ticon weapons, but have since moved on to a design that drops them into a hole for me and drops them fairly low in regards to HP (The only major downside is that the spawning room at the top has to be short enough that Endermen can't spawn, and as such special mobs that're larger or thicker get stuck), and with tools like a pickaxe or a shovel I just place down whatever blocks they use to gain xp and tear through those. The Nether is full of easy to mine rocks, so I don't often have to go far after swapping a pick head to gain a material up.

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
that drops them into a hole for me and drops them fairly low in regards to HP

you might look into wooden spikes, they will dmg mobs until they have 1 hp but wont kill them.

But I was under the impression that weapons gained XP per hit not per kill, (my memory could be off on that point)
So for the purpose of tool grinding the more health the more exp each mob gives.

Edit:
actually 3 things seem to gives the weapon exp
1 simply hitting a mob
2 some exp bonus based on dmg dealt
3 a exp bonus for killing a mob

Last edited:

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
I'll go thru the bags again as sometimes one of them decides it wants to become unlimited instead of only having the one appearance. It used to happen sometimes to the first one on the list and I changed it to become the one of each ore reward in case it malfunctioned again.

The thing is I think it may still be possible for it to happen to someone else's reward bags after they download the pack which I can't do anything about.

I'll let you know what I find......

I got the aluminium (or aluminum) in the 9th or so bag.
Maybe you could make the quest that offers you the berry not to be the exploration quest. If you are desperately trying to get the berry and already running low on food, you dont want to go walking for miles.

About the Tinkers Weapons: I got fiery on 2 of my 3 weapons so far, so much for the reduced chance :D

Last question: Is there a way to break the Quest gate blocks once they opened up? Maybe you could add some way to get rid of them. The invisible blocks are a bit annyoing. Especially when you want to enter and mobs are immediately behind them and you cant easily position yourself in a good way to not get slaughtered directly.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I got the aluminium (or aluminum) in the 9th or so bag.
Maybe you could make the quest that offers you the berry not to be the exploration quest. If you are desperately trying to get the berry and already running low on food, you dont want to go walking for miles.

About the Tinkers Weapons: I got fiery on 2 of my 3 weapons so far, so much for the reduced chance :D

Last question: Is there a way to break the Quest gate blocks once they opened up? Maybe you could add some way to get rid of them. The invisible blocks are a bit annyoing. Especially when you want to enter and mobs are immediately behind them and you cant easily position yourself in a good way to not get slaughtered directly.

I've looked into the rewards and they're working as intended. Having a random chance to get any of the bags is always going to run the chance of not getting one you really need for ages. I've only just changed the optional berries to the exploration quest as I thought it might encourage those players who are looking for one of the berries to do it before they get their sleeping bag reward. I will however look into it to see if I can find a better place.

I've also noticed you get fiery too often for the 1% chance it now has. Same goes for the knockback which only has 5%. Doesn't seem to respect the random chance percentages does it? similar to the reward bag chances. I might have to remove fiery altogether on auto upgrades and let players who want fiery make it themselves.

Quest gates can't be removed after they have been opened. At least i don't know of a way to make that happen. On the positive side, once you're inside, they can't get to you from the outside. If you're looking for a way to get into the dungeon past the mobs, open the spoiler to see wha ti do sometimes when there are too many mobs to take on directly.

I find if there are too many mobs to get past at an entrance to the dungeon, I just make sure I have candles, sand and also planks ready to make a quick barrier beyond the entrance so I can then slowly make my way thru the dungeon to take out the spawners I find.

Then I go for a walk approx 200-300 blocks beyond the dungeon before turning back and literally running the last 100 blocks into the entrance I want to fortify and place as much of a barrier before enough mobs respawn to make me retreat again.

Its also a good idea to place a couple of candles down before building the barrier to reduce the spawn rates. If you've already managed to make some glowstone nooks, use them instead as they're harder to accidentally remove.

You can repeat this procedure as many times as you like until you have got at least some of the bunker secured to allow you to progress further into it.

Hope this helps..........

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
I've also noticed you get fiery too often for the 1% chance it now has. Same goes for the knockback which only has 5%. Doesn't seem to respect the random chance percentages does it? similar to the reward bag chances. I might have to remove fiery altogether on auto upgrades and let players who want fiery make it themselves.

yea after maxing out several weapons I saw the Fiery was the most common modifier with a number of weapons getting it twice. ( 5% chance or not those were the results RNG gave me)

I got so sick of fiery that I removed it from the random upgrade list.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
yea after maxing out several weapons I saw the Fiery was the most common modifier with a number of weapons getting it twice. ( 5% chance or not those were the results RNG gave me)

I got so sick of fiery that I removed it from the random upgrade list.

It'll be removed in the update. I might however offer one as an alternative to players who actually like fiery. in the new early swap for the rapier quest.

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
I have some questions about your SPUD design, I will put it in spoilers.

So I dug around a bit over the SPUD to see how you designed it from the outside. I remembered that you had said before that you had added specific places where elevators can be added?

I assume it is not the block where the castle brick thingies are, but the "hole" 2-3 blocks below that, which you get when you mine all the clonemarines, right?

Am I right that the whole SPUD roof could easily be used as a upper level of the base, so I only need to put a roof on that? Looked a bit that way.

Funny thing, I usually build a starter house opposite of the SPUD entry, but since you made it 4 wide instead of 3, my OCD always kicks in when I try to place the door in the middle :D

Last question:
I got a full manyullyn pick in a reward bag, when I chose the bag instead of one of the travellers things, am I right that I could use the pick and dig through the whole SPUD or would it take forever to break one of those prismarines? Didnt try it, since I dont want to break that thing. I recommended the pack to a friend and he started playing it and was looking for ways to break into the SPUD, but I think that is a bit lame anyway.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019

So I dug around a bit over the SPUD to see how you designed it from the outside. I remembered that you had said before that you had added specific places where elevators can be added?

I assume it is not the block where the castle brick thingies are, but the "hole" 2-3 blocks below that, which you get when you mine all the clonemarines, right?

Am I right that the whole SPUD roof could easily be used as a upper level of the base, so I only need to put a roof on that? Looked a bit that way.

Funny thing, I usually build a starter house opposite of the SPUD entry, but since you made it 4 wide instead of 3, my OCD always kicks in when I try to place the door in the middle :D

Last question:
I got a full manyullyn pick in a reward bag, when I chose the bag instead of one of the travellers things, am I right that I could use the pick and dig through the whole SPUD or would it take forever to break one of those prismarines? Didnt try it, since I dont want to break that thing. I recommended the pack to a friend and he started playing it and was looking for ways to break into the SPUD, but I think that is a bit lame anyway.

Good questions, I have to say. I will of course put them in a spoiler as its only right and proper they should be hidden form others who don't wish to see them.
You assume correctly with the elevator positions. The castle bricks are the signs telling people that's where the elevator is located, kinda like the signs you see above real elevators.

The spud wasn't designed to easily have its surface entirely used. Just limited areas. You can of course put a roof over all of it, but you'll wind up with areas that are a higher level than others. Basically I wanted a large enough area that you could dig down and be able to easily take down mobs when they approached and their feet were at your eye level. I made it large enough so players could if they wanted, build a smeltery slightly below surface level so mobs could walk into it and provide blood for a future quest. This of course would come at a cost of losing some defending space.

I've re-designed the SPUD for the next update with a separate area for building a smeltery at the other end of the entrance with new areas for elevators etc that I think is a big improvement. Like you, my OCD kicked in and I couldn't bring myself to make 3x3 as it wouldn't be evenly placed in the area. Blast that OCD. I made it 4x3 instead. In deference to those that don't have OCD and want to make a traditional 3x3 smelter, I placed clonemarine blocks all around the area for players to remove to enable easier placement of chests etc around the smelter for automation.

As for your OCD, you can overcome the reluctance to use a door by placing twin doors instead. It works for me.

As for your manyullyn pick. Yes it will certainly remove those prismarine blocks and very quickly too, if you consider an hour+ is a short period of time lol. They're designed to replace bedrock. The mod that makes them doesn't have an option to make a bedrock type block so I decided the next best thing would be to make them manyullym dependent and give them a huge hardness that would make them a really unattractive option for mining. I could have made them manyullym+ dependent but chose not to as it might have encouraged players to try leveling their picks up in the hopes of mining the blocks and having them rage quit when they discovered it was going to take hours just to remove one block, especially if it turned out the block below it was bedrock.

You can tell your friend I've made it really really hard to bypass the HQM entrances with many areas having a bedrock layer under the prismarine layers. If you've ever had a creeper blow up any of those prismarine stairs, you'll most likely have encountered bedrock below them. Your friend would be better served just trying to complete the quests to get those gates open instead.

BTW, the prismarine and bedrock goes all the way around the SPUD and below it to prevent any access other than the intended gates.

Hope this has adequately answered all of your questions.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019

Last question:

I just realised something else about the SPUD that I should have mentioned.

I have actually made it possible to gain entry to a part of the SPUD if the player wants to go to the trouble of locating one of the WELLS dotted around the landscape and dig down to find the entry points below the bedrock. (Not all wells have these so its a lucky dip) Once they get into the 'intermediate' layer they can dig through towards the SPUD and gain entry to the SPUD's intermediate layer. They'll still have to clear it out and won't be able to get further access to the rest of the SPUD until they've completed the required quests, but will be able to place elevators in the intermediate level and then locate the ones on the top of the SPUD for easy access between the two levels.

No guarantee on the elevators though as I don't recall whether there were locations in the design you are currently using. Its been changed so much I have trouble remembering which SPUD's have what, only really the latest one that isn't released yet.

Your friend might want to try gaining early access that way.

Cheers........

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Not just from the wells, at least in 1.5.0 I could get access to the "dust"-level from a ruin.

I think my friend (more like an online MC friend, not reallife) already quit. We usually play on MyM together and when we met I was in Teamspeak, I was just playing Marooned. Since I had been talking about this pack for weeks, I finally got him to check it out. Unfortunately he is one of those lazy guys refusing to read quest texts (quote: "Nobody reads quest texts"), which kinda made me angry, especially when he started to ask dumb questions. :D

I already suggested your pack on MyM, but with the introduction of the SPUD it has even become more complicated to host it on a multiplayer server. Usually the best packs for those kind of servers come with no specific worldgen bound to the player (questgates, stuff like that). Then again, there are a lot of successful packs which are fine as they are and can't easily be hosted on those kind of networks. (Blightfall, most of the Material Energy packs, Void world, just to name a few)