[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So I just hit Bronze Age with a couple Ender IO Fluid tanks. What do you guys recommend be my next step. I'm thinking more coke oven and thaumcraft into a tree farm, but is there a better idea here? I have been live streaming the series and trying to learn, but I also don't want to seem like a fool.
Kryllyk can you clarify what you've accomplished? What are you doing with these fluid tanks for instance? ( I assume you don't mean the infinite-water Reservoirs)

If you're able to, a tree farm and an array of coke ovens is always an absolute first priority. For the tree farm, your best bet is usually golems, but that requires familiarity with thaumcraft.

Kryllyk

Jul 29, 2019
Kryllyk can you clarify what you've accomplished? What are you doing with these fluid tanks for instance? ( I assume you don't mean the infinite-water Reservoirs)

If you're able to, a tree farm and an array of coke ovens is always an absolute first priority. For the tree farm, your best bet is usually golems, but that requires familiarity with thaumcraft.

Yes sorry. I got the Bronze machines from Gregtech and using just 2 Ender IO Fluid Tanks for Steam Storage at the moment as I didn't quite have enough Iron for a Full Tank from Railcraft, but I should shortly. I am very familiar with all mods, but of course Gregtech is very new to me in 1.7. I dabbled with it back in the 1.4 days, but not since.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yes sorry. I got the Bronze machines from Gregtech and using just 2 Ender IO Fluid Tanks for Steam Storage at the moment as I didn't quite have enough Iron for a Full Tank from Railcraft, but I should shortly. I am very familiar with all mods, but of course Gregtech is very new to me in 1.7. I dabbled with it back in the 1.4 days, but not since.

No worries, GregTech's new to basically everybody (except, um, SpwnX, ungod, blood asp, and maybe greg)

Steam storage is a bit cheesy but we all do it. I definitely recommend you get the iron you need for an actual RC tank, but its not critical.

Your very first order of business at this point is to solidify your steam fuel source, which generally means charcoal. So you're on the right track: tree farm.

Once you've got that straightened out, you need to figure out your steel production with an eye towards getting a basic plate bender working. For me, steel means lots of bronze blast furnaces (expensive as hell in bronze), but smarter people will make a thaumcraft steel production factory.

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
No worries, GregTech's new to basically everybody (except, um, SpwnX, ungod, blood asp, and maybe greg)

Steam storage is a bit cheesy but we all do it. I definitely recommend you get the iron you need for an actual RC tank, but its not critical.

Your very first order of business at this point is to solidify your steam fuel source, which generally means charcoal. So you're on the right track: tree farm.

Once you've got that straightened out, you need to figure out your steel production with an eye towards getting a basic plate bender working. For me, steel means lots of bronze blast furnaces (expensive as hell in bronze), but smarter people will make a thaumcraft steel production factory.

I definitely have to agree with pyure. I'd start by getting good steam production up and running, if you want to go down the thaumcraft route or forestry for a tree farm it's up to you, both work well.

One thing I'd suggest to anyone doing this pack is get two bronze blast furnaces going ASAP with enough coke ovens too.

When your ready create Basic steam turbine and then I'd recommend you go for the basic vending machine. Next the basic wiremill, otherwise to progress with other machines your be shelling out a lot of resources. After that your pretty much in the LV age and its up to you what to do next.

Have fun with the pack and if you have a lets play on YouTube I wouldn't mind giving it a watch. It's always good to see what others are doing to progress!!

Sent from my iPhone

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
A few tips I collected while setting up tree farm/charcoal production and boiler:
  • The forestry farms are set to square shape, which means that you have a larger area available. Just "fill out" the corners of the shapes in the wiki.

• While coke ovens are cheap (no fuel cost) to convert wood into charcoal, you'll have to spam lots to convert fast enough (one charcoal every 3 seconds -> 30 ovens). I have a setup with two EIO stirling generators and one alloy smelter, which can also produce charcoal from wood.

• The large bronze boiler produces much more steam than you can handle in the beginnig. It is enough to power around eight LV steam turbines. If you don't take all the steam it produces, it will get lost. Buffering with a large tank is one way to do it, although you'll have to start/stop it manually to avoid venting overflow. On the other hand, the boiler will cool down when going without charcoal for too long. (Both heatup and cooldown are lightning fast compared to RC boilers. Unfortunately there seems to be no interface to monitor the temperature.) The setup with an alloy smelter (with octadic capacitor) produces one charcoal about every 3 seconds, which is a good interval to keep two LV turbines or a RC turbine running between 50 and 100% capacity.

• Battery buffers with lithium batteries are very powerful. If you are lucky enough to find lithium ore, a single MV lithium battery has more capacity than a CESU.

Kryllyk

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you all for the great tips and advice, glad to see I am somewhat on the right path.

I do YouTube and Twitch under Kryllyk on both, but the Infitech2 I was doing solely on Twitch.tv. I do other modpacks so far on my YouTube (Direwolf20, ModSauce, and things like Agrarian Skies etc.)

Earhbound

Jul 29, 2019
ehm i think pyure is talking about the Bending machines.
best order would be: bronze boilers, basic bronze machines, RC tank as a buffer with tier 3 enderIO fluid conduits (early enderIO alloy smelter is recommended for being very fast and efficient, but cant handle molds!)
in between at least 2 bronze blast furni with one shared wall. then basic STEAM turbine, bending machine, wiremill and the electrolyzer. next longtermtarget should be the electric blast furnace.

i can also recommend thaumcraft golems working with darkoak trees. i get so much wood, i cant even handle it and pause them from time to time.
i started with bamboo / bamboo-coal in the first ages. can absolutely recomment it! easy and fast resource and can also burn to bamboo coal with a normal furnace.

also the wand of excarvation is a nice way to bypass the tiers of tools. and a nice backup pickaxe.
arcane bore is also really usefull if you set it up correctly on a vein of nice ores.
all you need to run is the bore + base, 2 item conduits (one with filter), an autoworkbench a chest and a lever. maybe some perdito jars for boost power.
all it needs to run is sticks or bamboo with some cobble in the workbench (stone pickaxes), pull out to bore with one pipe; the other one with filter from bore to trash can to get rid of worn down pickaxes

its a nice way to gather resources for only 4 diamonds and almost no maintainance costs, but keep in mind that this thing will need a lot of babysittingsince in terms of moving

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
citation needed.

I just looked in the Railcraft source code and the only things that explode are boilers, hobbyist steam engines and carts/locomotives. The steam turbine doesn't.

One thing to note is that the max turbine output is 200 EU/t, so it must be considered an HV emitter. If there is anything down the line that doesn't stand HV, it might have exploded, and taken parts of the turbine with it?

Cables are all gold, ive made that mistake before.

i can also recommend thaumcraft golems working with darkoak trees. i get so much wood, i cant even handle it and pause them from time to time.
i started with bamboo / bamboo-coal in the first ages. can absolutely recomment it! easy and fast resource and can also burn to bamboo coal with a normal furnace.

I used rubber trees, free torches and easy rubber :p

Reactions: MigukNamja

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Just another find I made: IC2 radioisotope generators are a hassle-free powergen solution if you have lots of iron. A RTG heatgen->stirling gen combo makes 32 EU/t with 6 pellets at the cost of 18 plutonium ingots and 324 (!) iron ingots. Also needs a MV bending machine.

This is also great as a standalone or backup power source to run e.g. an AE system, since it never stops producing.

In contrast to vanilla IC2, plutonium is easy to get once you find a pitchblende vein since there is Pu-244 ores in there. No need to breed Pu in a reactor.

Remember to wear a full hazmat suit. (Easy to craft: 22 rubber, some wool and orange dye.)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I used rubber trees, free torches and easy rubber :p

I 2nd this. You'll need a decent amount of rubber for the electrical age, and golems auto-farming rubber trees gives you wood, rubber, and sticky stuff for misc. things like torches. At some point, you'll have (an upgraded) JABBA barrel full of sticky resin and will be set for the rest of the game.

The only trick with rubber trees is occasionally a tree will grow with leaves at ground level, which prevents the chop golem from chopping it and possibly getting to other trees to chop. Keep tabs on your golem tree farm every few hours just to make sure there's no ground-level trees gumming up the works. If you're especially enterprising, you can elevate the tree dirt 1 block higher than the surrounding terrain. However, this will greatly cut down on your surface area efficiency, which means you may need more chop golems to produce the same amount of wood.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
also the IC2 wirecutter should be disabled. its easy, cheap and lasts twice as long as the gregtech thing

It depends upon what you use to make it from. Wrought iron and higher-tier GT cutters should last longer. But, they are a PITA to make.

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
Note that if you want chocolate bars at full efficiency, you need to get the HV vending machine. Otherwise you're only getting 40% sugar for your resources.

Now do you see how much I rely on autocorrect?
Just to make it clear I meant plate BENDING machine :)

Sent from my iPhone

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Once you build your wiremill (hint, do it soon) you will need the cutter only for removing wires, so it basically lasts forever if you make it out of wrought iron or steel.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Once you build your wiremill (hint, do it soon) you will need the cutter only for removing wires, so it basically lasts forever if you make it out of wrought iron or steel.

You'll also need it for making plates/molds for the Extruder when you get to MV, but you don't need that many plates...maybe...12 max. However, that shaped crafting recipe also accepts the easier IC2 version.

So, yeah, it'll last basically forever if you make it out of something decent.

Reactions: Tyriael_Soban