[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Kamilczak020

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I calculated it and got the same results. But it just seemed impossible to me - so I can't supply the steam to the turbines using any pipes?
Also, i've noticed that both on the server I play and the singleplayer mode there is no multiblock steam turbines from GT. Are they removed in infitech or is it something wrong on our side?

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
You could just supply the steam with 2 Pipes, that should work.

GT5 is a complete new implementation of Gregtech and everything must be reimplemented again. Greg does this from lowtech to hightech, but some things will not come back, while some new things come. From the order, Multiblock turbines should come back "soon" and after that other hightech like the fusionreactor. Some time ago, greg said he wants to give most machines multiblock versions. Certainly multiblock centrifuges before the fusion reactor comes back. Also after the fusion reactor is back, Stargates leading to other planetes are planned. But seeing how slow it is going, i expect it not before GT6 (Minecraft 1.8).

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Good but also annoying thing: "When you think you are done with the modpack update, and some more mods gets updated".

Kamilczak020

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the answer. But back to steam turbines - is there any way to provide enough steam for them except for putting them right next to a tank/generator?

AbsoluteZero

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, question regarding steam storage in railcraft tanks. A bit of testing shows that an iron tank valve can only accept 275 mb/t input and it can only output at 250 mb/t. However a large bronze boiler outputs steam at 800 mb/t. Does this mean that you need multiple input valves if you want to output the full volume of steam into the tank or am I missing something?

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft tank valves can only transfer 250mB/t, thats right. There are 2 ways to insert more: 1. More valves as you said. 2. Greg added a trick to bypass the RC valve limit. A Boiler directly inserting into a RC tank (Output hatch next to RC tank valve) works unlimited.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the answer. But back to steam turbines - is there any way to provide enough steam for them except for putting them right next to a tank/generator?

This is a common problem for all of us GT 5 players. If you want to keep using GT Steam Turbines, a tried-and-true way is to build at least a 3-high RC tank (iron is fine) put RC tank valves on the bottom, and the GT Steam Turbines flush against the bottom. The purpose of the RC tank is less a steam buffer and more of a "high steam throughput" device.

Also, you may have noticed the Turbo Steam Turbine is less efficient than the smaller steam turbines. The most efficient way to use GT Steam Turbines is to spam (build lots of) the Basic Steam Turbines (32v) and join their power together via GT Transformers to up-transform the power. For long-distance power runs, you can put an IC2 transformer on the GT transformer and then use lossless IC2 cable. You will have to IC2/GT transform back at the receiving end(s).

However, the most efficient way to turn steam into EU in this pack seems to be the RC Steam Turbines. They are about twice as efficient as the GT Basic Steam Turbine and they are easier to use. The major downside early-game is they require a *lot* of steel to make and you have to replace the rotor after a long time. The rotor takes a lot of steel to make.

The rotor's lifetime is roughly equal to the total amount of EU it produces. So, if you don't keep your EU demand high and run the turbine at 100%, it will last a long time. But, if you run it at 100% 24/7, the rotor will last maybe a few days in RL.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend watching this excellent video by UNG_God. He covers GT steam generation and the RC vs. GT Steam Turbine math. And, here is a link to his sneaky peaks, which have a *lot* of very useful GT 5 info.

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
If you haven't already, I highly recommend watching this excellent video by UNG_God. He covers GT steam generation and the RC vs. GT Steam Turbine math.

Just watched that video. Well worth the 10 minutes (I hate watching videos for stuff like this). So does GT need a buff or RC need a nerf? Either way, between this video and these last few posts it is clear that I am doing this all wrong....

And, here is a link to his sneaky peaks, which have a *lot* of very useful GT 5 info.

sneak_peek.png

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
I just had an unusual event on Miguk's server, walking through the upper level of my base and wham my RC turbine exploded right infront of me ...
In the screenshot you can see that ive patched up the damage, but it destroyed four of the housing blocks and ejected the turbine into the middle of my workshop.

Attachments

• 2014-12-15_21.38.48.png
    2014-12-15_21.38.48.png
    459.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 2014-12-15_21.38.59.png
    2014-12-15_21.38.59.png
    514 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: MigukNamja

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
I just had an unusual event on Miguk's server, walking through the upper level of my base and wham my RC turbine exploded right infront of me ...
In the screenshot you can see that ive patched up the damage, but it destroyed four of the housing blocks and ejected the turbine into the middle of my workshop.

What was the health of the rotor for turbine? If I remember correctly (I may be wrong) but I'm sure the turbine explodes if the rotor depletes inside the multi block. One way I use to get around this was getting up a few logic gates, possibly something like, if item inside is almost depleted, emit redstone signal. This then turned off the turbine.

That being said I do want to mention that was a long time ago in a completely different modpack but I've never seen a RC turbine just explode before...

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: MigukNamja

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
What was the health of the rotor for turbine? If I remember correctly (I may be wrong) but I'm sure the turbine explodes if the rotor depletes inside the multi block. One way I use to get around this was getting up a few logic gates, possibly something like, if item inside is almost depleted, emit redstone signal. This then turned off the turbine.

That being said I do want to mention that was a long time ago in a completely different modpack but I've never seen a RC turbine just explode before...

Aw, jeez. Here I was thinking, "I obviously have to get rid of my GT turbines and use the RC setup like unggod", and now you are telling me that they blow up?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Aw, jeez. Here I was thinking, "I obviously have to get rid of my GT turbines and use the RC setup like unggod", and now you are telling me that they blow up?
I was also unaware they could explode. That's alarming. Time to rig some blast-proofing around my turbines I guess.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Mine have not blown yet. I have 10 currently and manually replace the rotor well before they are depleted. I also need to install logic gates and blast proof.

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
I was also unaware they could explode. That's alarming. Time to rig some blast-proofing around my turbines I guess.
Mine have not blown yet. I have 10 currently and manually replace the rotor well before they are depleted. I also need to install logic gates and blast proof.

This was a long time ago so please do test it, it's just a theory.

If indeed they do the explosion looks to be MUCH smaller than the GT versions. One of those in the rain look out half my base... Never again will I make that mistake.

If the rotor depletes fully then I'm sure they do blow up, otherwise they are pretty safe and you can rig up an automated system to repair the turbines without too much effort. A few build craft gates as well as a few auto crafting tables should do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
If the rotor depletes fully then I'm sure they do blow up, otherwise they are pretty safe and you can rig up an automated system to repair the turbines without too much effort. A few build craft gates as well as a few auto crafting tables should do the trick.

citation needed.

I just looked in the Railcraft source code and the only things that explode are boilers, hobbyist steam engines and carts/locomotives. The steam turbine doesn't.

One thing to note is that the max turbine output is 200 EU/t, so it must be considered an HV emitter. If there is anything down the line that doesn't stand HV, it might have exploded, and taken parts of the turbine with it?

Reactions: Pyure and Grove

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
citation needed.

I just looked in the Railcraft source code and the only things that explode are boilers, hobbyist steam engines and carts/locomotives. The steam turbine doesn't.

One thing to note is that the max turbine output is 200 EU/t, so it must be considered an HV emitter. If there is anything down the line that doesn't stand HV, it might have exploded, and taken parts of the turbine with it?

Ahh fantastic thanks for clearing that up :) also my guess goes down the drain then haha.
Was this working before it just 'exploded'? Maybe a creeper wanting a cuddle?

Sent from my iPhone

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
citation needed.

Thanks mcalpha.

I didnt even know RC was viewable source :)

Kryllyk

Jul 29, 2019
So I just hit Bronze Age with a couple Ender IO Fluid tanks. What do you guys recommend be my next step. I'm thinking more coke oven and thaumcraft into a tree farm, but is there a better idea here? I have been live streaming the series and trying to learn, but I also don't want to seem like a fool.

Reactions: Grove