[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019
Um well, 1-tile shaft has a huge miss % actually.

The thing to consider is: is the increased miss chance so large that it offsets the fact that you can dig nine 1x1 shafts in the time to dig a 3x3 or four in the time of a 2x2? That is without even worrying about the 9x higher cost of the pickaxes.

If a 1x1 shaft has only a 20% chance of finding a vein, but a 3x3 has a 100% chance of finding a vein, then you're still better off (finding almost twice as many veins in an hour of prospecting) with more 1x1 shafts!

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Btw guys, how do you find veins in gt? Vertical 3x3 shafts once every 3 chunks?

Before I got the Nano Suit and Mining Laser it was slow going indeed. Horizontal mining did locate one Diamond vein and one Emerald vein, but it was minimal returns for a lot of effort.

Then I switched to the more "traditional" GT5 method - lay out a grid with a 3-chunk spacing and dig straight down at these locations to see what is below. I dig a 2x1 shaft down and alternate blocks so I never risk a long fall or lava. Ladders are the way back up, so I carried 3-4 stacks of em on me. This was more productive than horizontal exploration but still slow going.

Once I got the Nano Suit and Mining Laser, it became quick and easy - put Laser in Mining Mode and shoot it straight down (using the same 3-chunk-spacing grid for my locations). With the jetpack on the Nano Suit you gently float down to fire the laser another time. Very quick to explore this way, and very quick to exit the shaft. Put a waypoint to note what is below, place a dirt block so nobody can fall down the hole, and you can return anytime to mine to your heart's content. Oh yeah, and use OV Scanner obv - on a 3-chunk spacing with the Scanner checking 16 blocks (I think) in all directions around the shaft, you cannot miss a vein. Just check the Scanner 3-4 times as you descend the exploratory shaft (I did it at surface, 45, 30 and 15).

Basically my suggestion is to concentrate on making the HV Autoclave, which is the key machine for making the NanoSuit and Mining Laser. I was able to make them while still processing my materials with LV. You just need a reliable HV power source for less than one minute to make an Energy Crystal, it really isn't all that difficult to do it even at LV (hint: transformers). Once you get the Mining Laser and Nano Suit your productivity will soar thru the roof.

UrNotFunny

Jul 29, 2019
Btw guys, how do you find veins in gt? Vertical 3x3 shafts once every 3 chunks?

I dig vertical shafts every 3 chunks. I went Thaumcraft heavily at the start, with the slow fall enchant on boots and upgraded Wand Focus: Excavation, I just jump in the air and drift straight down with the excavation beam. With the enlarge upgrade on the focus, it breaks more than 1 block so you end up digging out a little bit from the 1x1 shaft and it makes it very hard to miss veins. Gotta be a little careful of falling into lava, but a bucket of water and wand focus of uprising makes it easy to get out quick if needed.

I also setup a Hungry Hand Mirror from Automagy with filters, it automagically pulls out cobblestone, dirt, and other junk blocks from my inventory while mining, helps save a lot of time.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Before I got the Nano Suit and Mining Laser it was slow going indeed. Horizontal mining did locate one Diamond vein and one Emerald vein, but it was minimal returns for a lot of effort.

Then I switched to the more "traditional" GT5 method - lay out a grid with a 3-chunk spacing and dig straight down at these locations to see what is below. I dig a 2x1 shaft down and alternate blocks so I never risk a long fall or lava. Ladders are the way back up, so I carried 3-4 stacks of em on me. This was more productive than horizontal exploration but still slow going.

Once I got the Nano Suit and Mining Laser, it became quick and easy - put Laser in Mining Mode and shoot it straight down (using the same 3-chunk-spacing grid for my locations). With the jetpack on the Nano Suit you gently float down to fire the laser another time. Very quick to explore this way, and very quick to exit the shaft. Put a waypoint to note what is below, place a dirt block so nobody can fall down the hole, and you can return anytime to mine to your heart's content.

That's my preferred method too - a 2x1 - just fill it up if there's nothing to see or ladder up if there is!

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Just an FYI for those who don't already know it, Alumentum appears to be 20x more effective than charcoal in a Dimensional Anchor. That's enough to get me to automate production. :)
Code:
in ticks of operation per unit
minecraft:coal@1=21600
Thaumcraft:ItemResource=432000

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019
Just an FYI for those who don't already know it, Alumentum appears to be 20x more effective than charcoal in a Dimensional Anchor. That's enough to get me to automate production. :)
Code:
in ticks of operation per unit
minecraft:coal@1=21600
Thaumcraft:ItemResource=432000

How does a dimensional anchor compare in terms of its effects to a world anchor?

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
How does a dimensional anchor compare in terms of its effects to a world anchor?
Has a lot more flexibility in my experience while being every bit as reliable.
Lot of fuel source options, just check immibis.cfg for the details on that.
Shape has a couple options beyond standard square.
Size is only limited by your ability to provide it fuel, at least in singleplayer. Server admins probably change the default unlimited.

O2X31Vx.jpg

I've been using them ever since I found the mod. If a pack doesn't have it I add the mod. Refuse to use chickenchunks chunkloaders, far too many nasty chunk resets in my past. I don't mind Railcraft anchors but they're a bit more complex if you don't just want a 3x3 that eats ender pearls. All hail Immibis. :)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

You set how large an area you wish to chunk load and pay the appropriate price. For instance, I use 3x1 X-Line, which loads 3 chunks along the x-axis, and one piece of coal gives me 30 minutes. One piece of charcoal gives me 6 minutes. Thus, it sounds like 1 Alumentum will probably give me a full hour, if twisto is correct. I have been using charcoal because I have 2000 stacks of it, but yeah I've been meaning to set up a TC process to turn all my charcoal into Alumentum which I should have done long ago (even if I do have the standard CreoTek CreoStak 36 churning out the free charcoal for me nonstop).

I had to re-arrange my base because of the cost of the Dim Anchor - a 3x3 chunkload was just too expensive even with all my free charcoal. To me, that's the only drawback - the material costs are very expensive. I would normally do a 3x3 or even a 5x5 base, but due to the cost I scaled way back into a 3x1 base on the SMP server just so I wasn't using up all my charcoal.

I do not like the concept of "charging" the player for chunk-load ability, even if I do understand why it is done - which is, in an effort to get players to keep their chunk loading to an absolute minimum. And it does work - just look at my words above. But I dislike it very much, because in modded minecraft, I believe the ability to chunk load and have your stuff working while you're not even online is at the very heart of this game. Without it, especially in THIS modpack... well, I hope you plan to play for many years in that case. :)

Last edited:

Mikhail Krutov

Jul 29, 2019
Btw there is no description of 2nd type of Magnetite vein in the Enchidrion book (the magnetite/gold one)
Size is only limited by your ability to provide it fuel, at least in singleplayer.
I always turned the fueling off in immibis.conf for singleplayer on dimensional anchor.. doesn't make sense to me to fuel up the bug-fix (and non-loaded machines in _singleplayer_ are a bug imho)

Last edited:

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019
Fascinating, thanks guys. I might move to using them instead of my current system of world anchors.

Although I do need to just set up a proper ender pearl farm at some point...

On another note, does anyone know a way of getting vanilla spawners to function as if a player is around without being there? At the moment I have a killer joe killing 7 spawners worth of mobs, which gets me ~50,000 coal per day from wither skeletons if I'm standing there, or zilch if I'm not. Do I need to actually make proper powered spawners if I want them to run when I'm not there?

Mikhail Krutov

Jul 29, 2019
I dig vertical shafts every 3 chunks. I went Thaumcraft heavily at the start, with the slow fall enchant on boots and upgraded Wand Focus: Excavation, I just jump in the air and drift straight down with the excavation beam. With the enlarge upgrade on the focus, it breaks more than 1 block so you end up digging out a little bit from the 1x1 shaft and it makes it very hard to miss veins. Gotta be a little careful of falling into lava, but a bucket of water and wand focus of uprising makes it easy to get out quick if needed.

I also setup a Hungry Hand Mirror from Automagy with filters, it automagically pulls out cobblestone, dirt, and other junk blocks from my inventory while mining, helps save a lot of time.
That's actually a very nice idea. I'm thaumcrafting mostly now as well: didn't do a single machine from GT except for.. boiler, alloy smelter/compressor/forge

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Btw there is no description of 2nd type of Magnetite vein in the Enchidrion book (the magnetite/gold one)

I don't think they're separate types of ore veins. They're the same, but due to the random nature of some of the variables that define the ore veins, some Magnetite veins just do not have any Gold Ore in them.

IMO, there's no way for Enchidiron book to ever tell the difference between these "2 types" of Magnetite veins. But I'm no expert on the subject either.

I suppose some description could be added (such as "Sometimes found with Gold Ore").

UrNotFunny

Jul 29, 2019
Fascinating, thanks guys. I might move to using them instead of my current system of world anchors.

Although I do need to just set up a proper ender pearl farm at some point...

On another note, does anyone know a way of getting vanilla spawners to function as if a player is around without being there? At the moment I have a killer joe killing 7 spawners worth of mobs, which gets me ~50,000 coal per day from wither skeletons if I'm standing there, or zilch if I'm not. Do I need to actually make proper powered spawners if I want them to run when I'm not there?

Cursed Earth under the spawner. You can also move the spawner with the Wand Focus Dislocation.

UrNotFunny

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think they're separate types of ore veins. They're the same, but due to the random nature of some of the variables that define the ore veins, some Magnetite veins just do not have any Gold Ore in them.

IMO, there's no way for Enchidiron book to ever tell the difference between these "2 types" of Magnetite veins. But I'm no expert on the subject either.

I suppose some description could be added (such as "Sometimes found with Gold Ore").

According to the wiki http://ftb.gamepedia.com/GregTech_5/Mining_and_Processing there are two different veins, a Magnatite with gold and a Magnatite with iron.

Reactions: asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
That's actually a very nice idea. I'm thaumcrafting mostly now as well: didn't do a single machine from GT except for.. boiler, alloy smelter/compressor/forge

You sound like all the players on my former server (it was just closed). They also didn't do much GregTech, and after a few weeks they drifted off to some other weaksauce modpack and were never seen again. LOL

You seem like you're into the modpack, Mikhail, so I know you're not like them... but I heartily suggest that in a GT modpack, you embrace the GT!!!

I love machines, and this modpack (and GT) is just "Machine Heaven". :)

Mikhail Krutov

Jul 29, 2019
Well to my experience if magnetite vein has gold in it, no chance of finding pure iron in there. What proves my point is the fact that the iron/magnetite/vanadium vein is called "Magnetite (2)" in the book.

You seem like you're into the modpack, Mikhail, so I know you're not like them... but I heartily suggest that in a GT modpack, you embrace the GT!!!
Well that was the plan. But I never did much of Thaumcraft yet, so when I started to automate stuff with golems, I couldn't stop.. Lol.

Reactions: Bob558 and asb3pe

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
The iron is a lot more common in the vein than if it were gold, means it is pretty easy to detect which you have if you find them on the surface. If it is an iron vein you'll see iron with the magnetite on the surface almost every time whereas if it is gold you might not.

Was thinking about it last night. Really hate that nasty magnetite early game when all you want is gold but once you've got your EBF going it is basically steel ore: iron and oxygen in a nice package. What 3 metals I run out of all the time? gold, iron, and steel. Makes for one stop shopping at the mag/gold vein.

Mikhail Krutov

Jul 29, 2019
In Jason McRay's Lets play videos I've seen some kind of backpack or something, which contained all kinds of stuff (so I assume it wasn't one from forestry). Not sure even which season it was tbh. Can't find it.
What are portable storage solutions for instruments & GT Ores?